Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It looks like the other small engine repair thread is locked for archiving so here's another.

I'm posting because I can't figure out what I'm doing.

Backstory: My wife's grandparents gave me a mower that wouldn't start. It's an electric-start Toro with a Tecumseh engine. The air filter was soaked with fuel so at the recommendation of the previous thread I replaced the carb (it took me six months but the weather hasn't been nice and it hasn't been a priority). The new carb is in and I'm pretty sure I hooked the linkages up right, at least the same as the old one was.

Right now it will start up (so progress!) but it won't idle at all, and it seems to be running at a pretty high RPM (but I can't verify that because it wouldn't run at all before). If I release the handle it immediately dies.

This is the carb with the air filter off. The two linkages connect to the governer (I think that's what it's called) which is secured with a screw. If I rotate the governer, the bracket on the carb opens up and it closes the and opens the carb. I can't figure out how it's supposed to be actuated, if at all.

The throttle cable (attached to the handle) goes to the other side of the engine, and I can't figure out how it works/connects to the carb at all.

I tried taking the top of the motor off, but after I got the single large nut off, the thing still wouldn't budge.

This is the right side, after I replaced the nut and ignition coil. The throttle cable goes here and somehow it (I think?) actuates the governer which opens or closes the carb.

What relative position should everything be in?

This is babby's first time working on a small engine, so bear with me.

Here are some more pictures:

Old versus new

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It's probably Chinese... it was about ten bucks. How should the carb be set up? Seems incorrect if its set up to run at full speed and never idle. This is a fairly new mower but it was given to my wife's grandpa as a non runner so I don't know who all has tried fiddling with it.

I've read through the carb adjustment section twice now and I think I just need to print it out and have it in front of me while I work on it next.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 27, 2019