Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I have an old (2003?) Craftsman LT1000 with a Kohler 17HP engine.

At the start of the season, I pulled it out of the shed, charged the battery, and it fired right up. At the end of the first cut, the blade drive belt slipped, so I had to bring it into the garage for some minor repairs. It sat for about a week before I tried to start it up again.

Now it is turning over and "puffing" a bit, but it's not really catching and starting. I drained last year's (sta-bilized) gas and filled it with new gas. I also replaced the fuel filter. I pulled the spark plug, and it looked pretty fouled, but I don't think it was very oily. I also checked and seem to have good spark. If it pull the air filter and try to run it, I'll get wispy white smoke coming out of the intake (and a bit out of the exhaust, probably).

Not sure where the next steps would be. I'm getting spark, I think I'm getting adequate fuel with a little bit of ignition. It ran fine all last year. What is next to check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

That's probably it, but I'd say run it on starting fluid first. If it runs on that but dies then you know you have a carb issue. It may just be fouled and sometimes running on ether is enough to clear it out and it will keep running on gas.

Unfortunately, still can't get it to start after cleaning out the carb. I disassembled it, briefly lost and then found the needle, thoroughly cleaned everything, and reassembled. I also pulled the spark plug, which looked pretty fouled up. Might be oil?

Here's a short video of cranking it over and the white smoke coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_vrMgVaht0

It'll keep cranking like this, but it'll never "catch" and just keep going. Tried different choke positions and verified the choke is moving freely and correctly.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I did thoroughly clean the plug with carb cleaner and lightly sanded it before putting it back in and filming that video, if that makes a difference.

That's almost definitely the original plug so throwing a new one in shouldn't hurt. I'll have to pick up some starting fluid as well.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Unfortunately, having about the same result with a new plug and ~3 seconds of starting fluid sprayed into the carb. The battery is also starting to struggle at cranking it much beyond what's in the video below. I do have it on a trickle charger, but it is an older battery that's taking a beating trying to get this thing to start. Tried at a few different choke positions, though previously it'd fire right up on full choke in 2-3 seconds. This throttle body doesn't have much control between full and no choke, fwiw.

You can start to see more whispy smoke coming out of the intake as the video goes on, and my second shorter try right after this had even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6JGCrHtUOo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

That's not spinning fast enough to start. It's loading up with fuel and flooding.

You need to charge or replace the battery.

The battery was "charged," but it's old enough that it wasn't really putting out enough load apparently. New battery fixed it!