Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

My dad has one of the Greenworks twin blade mowers from Taiwan Tire. I got a used one from a coworker a few years ago (and after my dad got his).

It uses 2 batteries, which on a full charge is enough to get my front and back yards done (depending on thickness of grass).

It has a plastic mower body/deck, which means it's light as hell so you can hang it off a wall or whatever.

Best of all, there's no monkeying around with gas, carbs, oil etc. (I have a car, truck, classic truck project and a motorbike the last thing I need is another ICE to have to gently caress around with).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Any good places out there to cross reference a Canadian market Craftsman snowblower?

Model # is C459-52786-0. It's a 9hp, 26" tracked unit. Tecumseh motor.

My Google-fu isn't finding anything, I know Craftsman stuff was most likely made by MTD but I'm not having any luck.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Yeah, a manual if can get it. PO gave me a parts list, with the same model # hand written on it, but I want to see if I can verify that it's the right one and dig up an owners manual.

I checked that site out, and it's like a circa 2000 Geocities page with broken links and links that lead to ad redirects.

I'll see if I can do some reverse engineering with part #s.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I've had a Greenworks cordless mower for the last ~4 years. It uses two 40V batteries that recharge in about an hour and are big enough to do my front and rear lawns.

No oil changes, no carbs, no gas, no pull cords, and I could mow my lawn at midnight if I wanted to without pissing off the neighbours.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

So, uhh, anyone know of a direct swap for a 9hp Tecumseh LH318SA?

I bought a used Craftsman snowblower a few months ago. The pull start was jammed yesterday, and the electric start would just hum.

Took the flywheel off tonight, and it looks like the alternator/stator/whatever you want to call it got caught up behind the flywheel, and managed to rip off one of its mounts.

There's a hole to the top left of the crank, and I'm guessing that leads right to the cylinder.

Anyone know of a direct replacement motor?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

So internet detective-ry resulted in finding out that a company called LCT (Liquid Combustion Technologies) took over a lot of Tecumseh's stuff, so they would likely have the most similar specs. However, I found and called a distributor who confirmed that there wasn't a bolt in option.

I took a look at my motor, and realized that the hole isn't in the cylinder head, but in the crankcase, so if I patched it then the repair would only be dealing with crank case pressure, not enslaved explosions. Out came the JB weld. I haven't tested it yet, but I figure if it holds, I'm good and if it doesn't then I'm no further ahead OR behind.

My engine model # is an LH318SA. I've found someone with a complete LH358SA (+1hp) for $200. The Tecumseh manuals I've found are for 318/358s, leading me to belive it would be a bolt on option. If not, I can probably sell it for what I paid to someone else who needs a motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Picked this up today, from a trailer full of random poo poo outside a local scrap metal place:

It's a 'Chipper/Shredder' with a Jiangdong JF200 (I'm guessing Honda GX200 clone?), and the labelling says that it will handle up to 2-3" diameter stuff in the branch chute :wmwink:, and 1/2" diameter stuff in the hopper.

I didn't think it ran, but it started first pull, and they threw in new tires because the ones that were on it were dry rotted.

I got it home, swapped the wheels, threw some seafoam and fresh(er) gas in the tank - which had barely anything in it - and got it to start and run but it died out. Then the pull cord broke on me.

The oil level is fine - it has 2 dip sticks, one on each side, and seems to be direct drive to the shredder wheel - there doesn't seem to be any kind of provision for a clutch to disengage.

I found a manual online for the motor, and it seems to be original to the unit. I can't figure out make of the rest of it, but it seems to be a Troy Bilt clone and I'm guessing it came from Princess Auto (:canada: version of Harbor Freight).

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find info on what (if anything) I need to grease before running it 'seriously'?

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 22, 2023