Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My Snapper mower had some kind of problem with the seat sensor failsafe that shuts it off if you stand up, so my dad ended up bypassing it so it lets you actually stand up. He did it by just detaching the wires and bundling them together I think. The issue is ever since then (four years ago) it's seemed like the battery drains faster. Could that have caused some kind of electrical problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Motronic posted:

The fact that your battery is 4 years older (and how old does that make it now?) probably has everything to do with that.

I've not seen a seat safety switch that is powered when the key is off.

The current battery is only two years old (exactly). Already can't hold a charge. Has to be charged before every time we start the mower.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

NotNut posted:

My Snapper mower had some kind of problem with the seat sensor failsafe that shuts it off if you stand up, so my dad ended up bypassing it so it lets you actually stand up. He did it by just detaching the wires and bundling them together I think. The issue is ever since then (four years ago) it's seemed like the battery drains faster. Could that have caused some kind of electrical problem?

I just got a new battery and after about a month it's dying between uses and having to be charged again. How would I be able to find a parasitic draw?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
The battery on my mower's been dying for a few years and we're not sure why, and it's getting worse. Now the mower will die while it's actually running. This is a battery I bought last month. Could it be the alternator? When it died the alternator felt hot.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

sharkytm posted:

If you ran it with a bad battery, you can cook the alternator. Charge the battery, start the mower, and check the voltage.

I'm pretty sure the battery's fine since I just bought it last month, and this has happened with other batteries. But I'll check if it's the advertised voltage with a multimeter I guess.

Motronic posted:

What mower/motor? It's unlikely you have an alternator unless its quite large.

It's a mid-sized rider mower. I'm not sure what the model is off the top of my head and I'll check tomorrow. But I tried turning the headlights on with the engine running, then turning them off, and they were brighter when it was off. So that seems to indicate there's something wrong with the charging system, doesn't it?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Motronic posted:

Yes, but that still doesn't mean that mower/motor has an alternator. To get specific advice about troubleshooting you'd need to know what it has, which is more likely to be a stator than a discreet belt driven alternator. Engine model number is probably sufficient.

Looks like it's a Briggs & Stratton ELS500.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Motronic posted:

So that's a stator, not an alternator.

This is a long winded but good explanation of how to start diagnosing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb1bVmnIqHk&t=7s

Thank you.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My mower that seemed to be having trouble with the stator now won't start at all. It was sitting outside for about a month, and I charged it today, and when I turned the key the engine wouldn't even turn over. The headlights still come on and I'm getting a 13 volt reading from the terminals of the battery. What could be wrong?

NotNut fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 10, 2022

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Motronic posted:

Tap the starter with the HANDLE of a hammer (not the hammer part of the hammer). Might just be stuck.

Past that I'd get a test light/multimeter on the starter to make sure when you're turning the key it's getting voltage. Could be the key switch, wiring, or the starter itself.

I'll try that, thank you.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm trying to test whether the stator on my mower is working. The wire coming out from the engine only has one pin, so should I put the red end of my multimeter on that and the black end on a ground to test the AC voltage?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

NotNut posted:

I'm trying to test whether the stator on my mower is working. The wire coming out from the engine only has one pin, so should I put the red end of my multimeter on that and the black end on a ground to test the AC voltage?

Nevermind, I figured it out. But now I'm wondering where to find my engine's model number. It's usually stamped into the metal somewhere right? Do I need to take the shroud off to see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

kid sinister posted:

Is it a Briggs and Stratton? Mine was under the plastic on the front.

Had to get a bunch of grease off to see it, but it was there, thanks.