Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Last year I rescued a plain-jane mower with a Honda GCV 160 engine off the side of the road. It needed a new pull cord and some modification to the adjuster for the front wheels. It has one of those auto-choke carbs with some kind of wax contraption inside that is supposed to open the choke after the engine starts running. I don't think the auto-choke part is working correctly.

The engine springs to life easily when cold, runs OK-ish for a couple of minutes, and then runs like hot buttered poo poo for 3-5 minutes after that. Once the engine has gotten to full operating temp, all is well and I can mow like normal. Is there any use in trying to clean the carb or should I just get a cheap-o replacement? I don't really want to convert to manual choke because I don't want to deal with (or spend money on) adding a choke lever and cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

PBCrunch posted:

Last year I rescued a plain-jane mower with a Honda GCV 160 engine off the side of the road. It needed a new pull cord and some modification to the adjuster for the front wheels. It has one of those auto-choke carbs with some kind of wax contraption inside that is supposed to open the choke after the engine starts running. I don't think the auto-choke part is working correctly.

The engine springs to life easily when cold, runs OK-ish for a couple of minutes, and then runs like hot buttered poo poo for 3-5 minutes after that. Once the engine has gotten to full operating temp, all is well and I can mow like normal. Is there any use in trying to clean the carb or should I just get a cheap-o replacement? I don't really want to convert to manual choke because I don't want to deal with (or spend money on) adding a choke lever and cable.

Answering my own question:
I bought a replacement wax pellet and installed it. It made no difference to the mower's operation. Start, run OK for two minutes, run like poop for five minutes, then run OK. I bought a cheap replacement carb from bald supervillain Jeff's house of everything. I installed the new carb and the mower runs great from start to finish. That said, carb work on a Honda engine is so much more of a pain in the rear end than other small engine manufacturers because of that messy sandwich of gaskets, spacers, plates, etc.

The front wheel adjustment was broken when I found the mower. I cobbled it back together well enough to use it. Then the other day I found another mower with the same deck but with a Briggs motor on it while walking around my neighborhood. The front axle assembly was perfect, so I swapped the whole front axle onto my Honda-powered mower. When I have a little time I'll try to clean the carb on the Briggs mower and put the dodgy front axle on it. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 5, 2021