Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Fender Anarchist posted:

Oh nice, I'm working on a pressure washer right now, little B&S 500 series, won't get going no matter how hard or long you yank it. Compression feels strong and there's fuel smell coming from the muffler when I turn it manually. No spark even from the uncovered wire in the spark boot, so I'm getting a replacement coil. The installation procedure seems pretty straightforward, just use the included card to set the armature gap right? I've never really worked on anything that wasn't an electronically controlled car engine so this is an interesting project for me.

Its probably the stop switch itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I would buy the cheapest non self propelled model you can find. You can beat the snot out if it and if it breaks or you let gas sit in it for 5 years parts are widely available and :10bux:

My experience with modern briggs engines has not been mixed but mostly not good. The single cylinder push mower type stuff has been fine. V-twins, I bought a scag tiger cat with a commercial turf briggs v-twin in 2014. It blew its sump gasket the next year. I caught it quick, machine had 40 hours and a warranty so the dealer fixed it. It was out of commission for weeks. At about 150 hours it knocked for about 3 seconds and tossed a rod. No warning, had clean oil, out of warranty. I replaced it with a briggs vanguard 810 thats done ok so far, but only has 25 hours on it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Captain McAllister posted:

So, uhh, anyone know of a direct swap for a 9hp Tecumseh LH318SA?

I bought a used Craftsman snowblower a few months ago. The pull start was jammed yesterday, and the electric start would just hum.

Took the flywheel off tonight, and it looks like the alternator/stator/whatever you want to call it got caught up behind the flywheel, and managed to rip off one of its mounts.

There's a hole to the top left of the crank, and I'm guessing that leads right to the cylinder.

Anyone know of a direct replacement motor?

I think Briggs and Stratton makes snow specific small engines these days. I would start there. But you probably won’t find a direct replacement.