Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
There's usually a "diff lock" that lives in one or both wheel hubs. The one on my Ariens is a pull-style, but some are twist, like the old locking hubs. I see something on the wheel hub of your photo.

As for parts, Tecumseh went under a while ago, but there are some parts available. Carb rebuild kits should still be around, but you'll probably have to buy from an old school place, like Pat's: http://www.psep.biz/ I replaced the 10hp Tec on my ariens with a 14hp HF motor. These really don't like being run on a steep incline, like letting the machine climb a snowbank. They're splash oiled, and the incline starves the big end of oil:

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

What's the story on Lifan motors? Supposedly decent Honda clones?

Yes, Honda clones which share most parts with Honda GX motors. I've run a ton of them over the years in less-than-friendly conditions. Never had any major issues, certainly nothing I wouldn't expect from a Honda in similar situations. Predator from HF are similar.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Fermented Tinal posted:

Glad I ran it dry on trufuel.

This has been my mantra for the past 5 years. Hasn't let me down yet. I buy VP SEF in 5 gallon cans. Sure it's $75-$90, but that's cheap insurance and I can mix whatever I need.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
10w30 and 30w are going to be the same weight in warm weather. Different blends have the same (or close enough) viscosities. Don't put anything fancy in an old generator. Cheap Dino oil is what it was designed for.

I always slightly overfill my Honda small engines because I usually only change/check the oil once every couple months, andi want them to work if they're on an angle or whatever.

Have you stuck the sensor tip in a container of oil? It might just have gotten damaged and not be reading correctly.

It's either the sensor or the oil level, not much else to say there.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 28, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

It was always my understanding that the big deal was that you want a non-detergent oil in small engines since they don't have a filter. Detergent oil keeps the contaminates in solution rather than letting them settle out as sludge. Single weight oils didn't (don't?) have detergents in them for a long time, so it was like code for "non detergent oil". No idea what's going on with the conflicting stuff you're seeing in the manuals.

In the end: all of my small engine poo poo gets it's oil changed regularly and it all comes out of a Rotella 15w-40 pail whether it's got a filter or not. Send it.

Single weight oils still have detergent in them. You have to specifically buy ND30 oil if you want to get non-detergent. For compressors, the pump usually calls out ND30, but the motor is usually whatever multi-weight is standard. Honda GXs run on whatever, though. SAE30HD is still recommended in lots of small engine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Has anyone done a propane conversion to a small generator? I am debating it to minimize my carb fouling headaches but wanted to know the downsides/caveats.

I wanted to do one on my Eu2000i, but it never happened. I switched to fakegas and haven't needed to run the genny much, but I'd be interested in other people's experiences too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If you ran it with a bad battery, you can cook the alternator. Charge the battery, start the mower, and check the voltage.