Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Small Engine Repair Thread - We replaced the carb and had the same issue happen with the brand new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If you remember my post in the chat thread a few weeks ago I bought a couple non-running chainsaws and a weed whacker for $100. Got the one chainsaw I wanted to keep running within about an hour and a half. The other one needed a carb kit, primer, and fuel/oil lines and I just sold it for $100. Weed whacker's still for sale but even if it sells for half my asking price I'll have ended up with a free chainsaw.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, that looks pretty chooched.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My father bought a 16' Jonsered (re: Husqy) chainsaw about half a dozen years ago and while it worked great when it ran, getting it to start was always a real bitch and he ultimately replaced it with a Stihl of similar size.

I grabbed the Jonsered from him yesterday so I could tear into it and get it fixed up for him. Aside from a lot of sawdust and oil and some old gas, it was pretty clean due to having only really seen enough use to cut down, limb, and buck probably ten trees in its life.

Anyways, first order of business with a hard-starting small engine is to put up your middle finger in the general direction of California. Second order of business it to remove the spark arrestor. The spark arrestor really restricts the already tiny opening on the muffler and in the age of 50:1 mix tunes tend to be on the rich side to make up for the lack of oil. This makes the exhaust rather sooty and the soot plugs up the arrestor. Ideally you'd run 30-40:1 and be tuned properly and the spark arrestor would likely not be much of an issue. For stuff I fix and sell I leave the arrestor on, but for personal and family stuff I rip them off because a sooty arrestor is the root cause of most hard starting.

Anyways I didn't take any pictures of that, just imagine a small red chainsaw taken apart enough to get at the carb.

Which I present to you, in all of its two barrel glory.

Also kinda unusual for these Zama carb'd saws, this one has the choke built in instead of being part of the air cleaner.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 11, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
When I remember to do it. So maybe every four or five years or longer.

I've had my mower since new and I have never done a plug or oil on it. Had it about 6 years now, it spends winter in the shed and the rest of the year outside beside the shed.

Here's a video of me starting it up. Keep in mind my left elbow is holding down the shutoff and my phone so I was pulling the recoil start at a funny angle.

https://i.imgur.com/PMWmkMJ.mp4

E: Once again, right-click > open in new tab to get sound.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 12, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Consider that $1000 buys you a brand new one without the bagger.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Okay maybe I was exaggerating a little but some of the low end riders are in the 1000-1500 range. I'd consider a 30yo JD rider to be low end.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'd offer the guy selling the JD $250, maybe $300 because of the bagger, and walk otherwise.

These things just generally don't get serviced that often, if at all, so a 30yo one is probably overdue for a lot and likely has three decades of PO jankiness to sort out. The only real plus is that seat looks recently replaced.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I don't know but I am seriously considering this one:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-lawnmower-leaf-blower/owen-sound/mastercraft-14-5hp-lawn-tractor/1459096917

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Most of the time it's just a stuck needle. Just take off the float bowl or the diaphragm depending on which it has and see if the needle is loose or not. When you're in there you can tell you whether or not the carburetor needs more than some clean gas.

If the carb looks clean then I would check for spark.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Drain the fuel tank and then run the engine dry: start it and let it idle until it dies, repeat until it won't start. You should do this before storing it for more than a week or two.

I like to empty the tanks on my 2-stroke stuff, run them dry, put in some Trufuel and then run them dry on that but it's not necessary.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Two years old? Probably just a stuck needle, I'd pop off the float bowl and see if it's that before buying a replacement carb or taking the whole thing off to clean it. If it's stuck it should come free with a little prodding and then you can try running it like that or take the float off and clean the needle and seat with some carb cleaner.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My snowblower started up for its first start of the season so easily today that I was surprised. I barely blipped the button on the starter. Usually takes a little bit to get going. Glad I ran it dry on trufuel.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Marine gas here turns out to be ethanol free. Bit more expensive than pump gas but cheaper than Trufuel in the mower every week.

Another year come and gone and everything fires right up because the last tank was Trufuel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Pull the recoil start off, undo the nut holding down the flywheel, and see if it has sheered the key.