Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How often are you changing oil/filters/plugs in your lawnmowers?

I have an old walmart special more I bought back in 1999 when we bought our first house. Powered by a B&S Classic 3.5HP and I literally cannot kill it.

I don't drain the gas in the winter, park it outside (sheltered under deck), changed the oil literally 2x in 20 years, blow out the filter in the spring and that's it. Starts first pull every spring, 2 pulls at most. Original plug.

I would really like to have a new Honda but god drat, this old thing is tough as nails. If it were automotive it would be a 300 L6 ford or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What's the story on Lifan motors? Supposedly decent Honda clones?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Can't comment on the current B&S motors, but my 22+ year old 3.5HP B&S Classic is unbelievable. Last year, I did the oil change because I literally couldn't remember the last time I did it. And maybe a tablespoon of sludge came out. So it was basically dry for lord knows how long.This year, went to pull it out of storage (which is under my deck so it still gets Canadian winter temps and snow drifts) and saw I still had half a tank of 6 month old ethanol laden gas in it. Shrugged. Primed it twice. Pulled. Fired up immediately. First pull. It was so easy you would think it was a warm start. Horrible dirty air filter and all.

Just unbelievable how tough this little bastard is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's a good question, but I doubt it. I'm far from an expert on those sensors though.

Those things pretty much only use dino oil anyhow and I can't see how it would make a difference especially since it is a spec for winter duty.

Good troubleshooting job though. Personally, I'd probably just bypass the sensor since you have an easily accessible dipstick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What's the deal with multigrade oil and small engines? The Honda gx270 powered compressor I just bought and going through recommends against multigrade oil in the owner's manual I found online and only straight sae30. I typically run 5/10w30 in my small engine stuff.

Any reason not to for the Honda? I mean, I can buy a couple L of it, it's not a big deal, but seems sort of odd?

E: the manual from 2003 specifically says not to, but I just found a 1990 manual which recommends 10w30. :confused:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 29, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am interested to hear this too. I'll probably be doing leaf duty at my folks place this year and I have literally never done anything with leaves but rake them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does such a thing exist to retrofit a hand recoil starter to a hex head of some sort so you could use a power driver to do it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What are you specifically looking for on it? Manual?

Someone I know recommended these guys before, never used them personally though. Depending what you're looking for might be able to help you out.
https://www.c-equipment.com/snowblower-parts.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Often the Canadian models with Sears/Kenmore/Craftsman were sometimes different than the US models but obviously worth a try.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh. Not sure why that would make a difference for a small engine like that. I'd be curious as to why that is.

They're all going to have additives and almost certainly some type of friction modifiers unless it's like JASO MA rating for wet clutches.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, for the first time in ~20 years, my old reliable, unkillable generic ~lawnmower~ with a Classic 3.5HP B&S has a problem.

I actually started it after bringing it out for its inaugural 2023 run, but 2nd time the pull cord snapped. Simply just worn out.

This old thing has been a workhorse. I think I bought it when Mrs and I bought our first house ~1999 and it's been totally dead nuts reliable. I change the oil like once/decade, and that's about it. I remember draining the oil on it last time and maybe a few tablespoons came out. I am not against replacing it (maybe battery?) but I'm not against putting a couple bucks/effort into it as it has easily earned its keep. Hell, I think it's the original spark plug.

2 questions:

Looks like the recoil assembly is riveted on. Are these replaceable? I think I've seen just cords available at Walmart... I presume cut to length and away you go?

I see the cover with the serial # etc (bottom pic) looks like it simply unbolts, and the recoil assembly is attached to it?

I've often thought of putting a hex drive on this and using my impact driver to start it. How insane of an idea is that? Not sure the best way to go about it. I don't have a welder, but know people who do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll pop that cover off and see how it's attached. Rewinding springs can be a pain in the dick, if I can replace the whole top cover w/pull cord for something like $40 I'd probably do just that. I see tons of parts on Amazon, but not sure which is which without seeing the original.

If it looks super easy with the pull cord, I might just try it.

E:
Just pulled the recoil assembly off. Looks really simple. Tying the knot properly will probably be the hardest part lol

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 13, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It was super easy. Got a generic cord and handle from a local hardware store for 7 bucks. Took all of maybe 10 minutes to put in..

The spring never unwound so I didn't have to fart around without it all. Hardest part was literally getting the knot for the handle in the right spot lol. Didn't even have to touch the rivets, whole assembly popped right off with the cover which was 3 bolts.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 14, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hadlock posted:

Thinking about putting a 50/50 mix of diesel/atf, I guess about 50ml, in each cylinder, just unscrew the spark plug and pour it into the cylinder. Each piston is about 80mm in diameter with a very long stroke. From there I'll wait... 4-5 days and try and turn it over? I already have a set of nearly-actually 2" sockets arriving tomorrow. I suspect it'll turn over without the penetrating mix but I have some time and I'm in no hurry. I can rotate the front crank wheel with my hands a ~1/128 which is probably (hopefully) more than bearing play
:psyduck:
Why are you doing this? Is it seized? I mean, you can do this but it sounds totally unnecessary.

Of course if you know an engine is not going to be fired up for a year or two you can take some precautions when you shut it down for the final time and spray/fog something into the cylinders, but if you don't it's not necessarily the end of the world and automatically seize up.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 19, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Preflight checklist of unknown state is not include dumping stuff down the bores. Squirting a bit of oil in the cylinders isn't totally insane, but filling it with a home brew of penetrating oil in an engine that isn't seized is not required and won't accomplish anything of value.

See if you can spin it by hand. Remove the plugs first to assist.

If it ran last year, unless it was used as an anchor sitting at the bottom of a lake it's unlikely its seized unless you have reason to think otherwise.

If you can't turn it by hand, then instead of doing the liquid fix it, start tearing it down if you're super concerned about spare parts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I swear to god, that old Briggs classic is unstoppable.

Threw it underneath my patio back in Sept. Mostly sheltered, but totally exposed to our wild weather swings and snow events. Haven't so much as looked at it since then.

Last weekend, decide I want to start the yard work. Power-rake and then use the lawnmower to suck up the clippings.

Pull it out, fill it with gas. 3x primer pumps, pull.

Starts right up, 100%. No hesitation, no coughing, nothing. Just like I stopped it 5 minutes earlier.

loving Honda Easystart has nothing on this old beast. It has my vote for apocalyptic ready power-plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nah, that would require thinking ahead. I just chucked it under the patio with still with about 1/4 tank of the finest ethanol heavy 87 octane. When I put it there I didn't know if it would be the last of the season.

But I did top it up with some fresh (as in, from a Jerry can, still probably almost a year old of the same ethanol fuel).