Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I've got a husky 130bt backpack blower, probably circa 2012. I use it year round and sit has never given me any issues till the other day. I had used it maybe 2 weeks back with no issues, but I stored it tilted a bit funny. Now it will start with full choke, and idle for a few min. It idles pretty slowly, and if I try to take off the choke, it will accelerate for a second, then die.

I pulled off the carb which has no adjustments, and sprayed in some carb cleaner and no change. I also blew out the fuel line and filter.

I have ordered a new carb and filter hoses and filter. Anything else to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Glad I seem to be on the right track. I have been using the canned 50:1 gas oil stuff in this for a while, and it has never sat idle more than a few weeks.

Update: new carb and gas lines installed. Starts and runs fine at low to 75% or so, but max throttle is a bit low and if I try to open it up it bogs down and stalls. Gonna get a new plug too and see if that helps.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 18, 2019

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Just posting my past mistake. I have a husky backpack blower. It was great on whatever 50:1 mix I put in it for about 9 years. One day I moved it and it sat askew a few weeks between uses. From then on it would not start. Bought a new carb cause I never have luck cleaning carbs and it ran...ok. it would start and run to about 75% throttle and go to idle if I went past that. Dealt with it like that till yesterday when I noticed the gas supply line had degraded and was leaking gas everywhere. Replaced that and now it runs like new.

Moral of the story is check those hoses before spending any more $$.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I was just given a small Troy bilt pressure washer. B&S engine, with some work it runs ok. It shakes its wheels off though. It has Axle hat nuts that press on but they seem to vibrate off. Is this a thing they are known for? Should I still the axle and put a washer at cotter pin?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I mow them in place as they fall with my mulching mower. It's looks a bit ratty, but the lawn is happy and I don't send endless bags of leaves to the dump. I put some in my compost bin as well. If you mow them, you just have to do it often lest you get overwhelmed.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Has anyone done a propane conversion to a small generator? I am debating it to minimize my carb fouling headaches but wanted to know the downsides/caveats.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thanks. I have a Honda eu2200i and see some nice kits for around 300 that take an hour to install. If I could not have to deal with gasoline it'd be nice.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
A new plug never hurt too. I've had old plugs manifest with all sorts of symptoms. Spend the $2 to make sure.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a Husqvarna 130BT backpack blower, probably about 10 years old. Last year it abruptly stopped running or even starting, and I bought a new carb and fuel lines. Swapped it out and it ran like a top again. This year, similar symptoms. It would idle with full choke but die with any throttle so I bought another carb (I hate and suck at rebuilding carbs, I am like 1:5 success rate), swapped it out and it runs, sort of. It will start normally but only idle and die with any throttle. After a minute or two of warming up it will take a bit of throttle, and maybe if I am really gentle it will eventually go to full throttle after a bit more idling. I am wondering if maybe the fuel and return hoses are being pinched where they pass through a rubber stopper into the tank but I can't be sure. Anything else to try?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Motronic posted:

Is the fuel priming bulb cracked/leaking at all? That's what happens when it is and it's a super cheap and easy replacement.

It's brand new. Primes fine.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Wandering Orange posted:

Is the gas tank vent clogged? Have you run it with fresh fuel lines out of a different container?

I believe it has its own return, as the carb has a second hose that goes back into the tank. Either way, I tried running it with the cap off and nothing changes. This am, I tried relieving the hole in the pass thru for the gas line, and it also made no difference. In fact, now it does not seem to want to start at all.

I am using the canned 50:1 mix so it cant be ethanol either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I think I figured out my leaf blower issue.

When I replaced the fuel line I foolishly cut the new hose too long. The fuel filter/pickup was pushed across the tank and was sitting above the fuel level and starving the engine. Ni shortened it and now it works.