Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I still got the last two episodes to finish, but it seems like the middle episodes really recapture the feeling.

I think the first episode or two really do suffer from soap opera logic to set things in motion and that's really the biggest problem. Everything else would be okay and forgivable if it wasn't so heavy handed in setting things in motion.

However, the loving cinematography in this season is loving outstanding.

The contrasts between what is being said and what is being shown, especially in the dojos is great. The framing of the actors really is quite awesome. The 80s call backs, "music videos", and openers are all really good.

I wanted to rewatch season 1 because it was an amazing season. I can't wait to rewatch season 2, because I want to actually watch season 2 and soak in everything on screen without caring about the story.

But the worst bit of soap opera logic is putting a guy who is in Hospice on a loving motorcycle. Are you loving kidding me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

waah posted:

But the worst bit of soap opera logic is putting a guy who is in Hospice on a loving motorcycle. Are you loving kidding me?

He knew that was his last ride and wanted to go out on his own terms

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Medullah posted:

He knew that was his last ride and wanted to go out on his own terms

No I get that. I mean he's in a hospital with assisted breathing. Maybe let him ride side car so that he doesn't pass out and become the hood ornament of a 18 wheeler instead of dying peacefully in his sleep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

Just got done watching season 2. Pretty good. Season 1 was better though. But lol if they bring back Terry Silver next season. They have to now, so that he can join up with Kreese again. And then Johnny is gonna team up with Danny lmao. loving lets go.

:emptyquote:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Did they ever use the "no bad student, only bad teacher" line in this season? Or are they going to save til next season to bludgeon us over the head with it?

I was really surprised at how emotional the show was able to get about Miguel getting hosed up. I didn't think Zabka could pull it off, and I can't tell if it was good editing or good acting or possibly both.

Miguel really is the most important part of the show and I think that's what put me off about ththe first few episodes is that he isnt as important to what is happening.

I dont think season two is as good as season 1, but being that season 3 is a go, I hope that the writers were just betting the farm on having a 3rd season.

Season 2 is going slowly get better in my mind as time goes by. If it wasn't for all the "no loving way" and/or "where are all of the adults?" moments I think it would be more highly praised.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Frankly there’s not enough love in this thread for Johnny discovering the internet.

“I knew it!”

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Roach Warehouse posted:

Frankly there’s not enough love in this thread for Johnny discovering the internet.

“I knew it!”

"SEND IT TO THE INTERNET"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Roach Warehouse posted:

“I knew it!”

From "hot girls" to "hot girls in bikins" to "Iron Eagle/Bloodsport" to watching past karate championships.

I mean, it's SO in character it's not even funny that it's funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One hopes they tone down the meta stuff like Stingray and pull it back to season 1 quality

Season 2 was still awesome though and I'm irrationally happy that Zabka is getting paid and recognized finally

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I loving loved the line about putting Thunderstruck under the Cobra Kai commercial too. "Nu-uh, I've got the cassette in my car". Oh Johnny.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There are so many subtle "blink and you miss it" lines in this, not just the easter eggs, but stuff like "My mom's therapist says..."

iamsosmrt posted:

Does Daniel feel any responsibility?

Gonna go ahead and say "No" on that one, since his star student and former houseguest broke a kid's spine and all he cared about was his daughter's cuts and bruises.

Unfortunately it was kinda hard to avoid spoilers on this, since within like 4 hours of it going up there were Youtube videos titled poo poo like "THE MOMENT ROBBIE KILLS MIGUEL" so I had some idea the season was headed for tragedy. I was imagining that it would end with Daniel and Johnny teaming up, maybe agreeing to do guest lessons at each other's dojos to show the kids it's not an all out war and both schools have their merits. Sure didn't expect both of them to lose their dojos! :stare:

Martin Kove was great; he was everything I hoped for.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Little late, but they've confirmed a season 3! If the series had ended on that downer it mighta killed it for me. They've been teasing a happy ending with Johnny and Daniel burying the hatchet for two seasons now, and I really want them to get there without something horrible happening. :ohdear:

Roach Warehouse posted:

“I knew it!”

Hahaha yeah, these were some of the most fun bits in the show, he's just so blown away and out of touch with all this stuff. I kept thinking about that woman who came out of a coma after thirty years.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, Johnny spending the entire 90's in a drunken state of arrested development is a pretty interesting choice.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So Tori is the show's Daenerys insert right? The writer's clearly have a hard-on for GoT and this season's episode 5 had the Cobra Kai s2 finale written all over it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All the talk about Game of Thrones was literal product placement. Remember how some episodes started with "this episode contains paid advertising" or whatever? I can't think of anything that could be referring to other than the GoT references

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's taking my allusion too seriously.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

precision posted:

All the talk about Game of Thrones was literal product placement. Remember how some episodes started with "this episode contains paid advertising" or whatever? I can't think of anything that could be referring to other than the GoT references

I forget which episodes had that disclaimer but it was only a couple. I have a feeling it was the Sony references/devices, which seemed deliberate for no other reason than product placement. At least the Game of Thrones thing was used for a joke and seemed more or less in character, like all the Coors Johnny drinks.

edit: I think last season even had a PS Vita shown at one point :lol:

This is the first show I've seen with a product placement message at the start. That was nice of Youtube to do. I don't think last season had that?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Johnny smugly says his phone is an Ericsson. As if a person like Johnny would actually know to get a no contract phone and put a sim card in it.

Johnny would get an old school Motorola Droid for the badass start screen.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

wa27 posted:

edit: I think last season even had a PS Vita shown at one point :lol:

Daniel's rear end in a top hat kid using Alexa to order a new one when Daniel takes it away is one of the funniest moments in season one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Vita means life

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Please be Terry Silver in season 3.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxZDJR3F4_E/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=qobmywd28opr

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should throw everyone for a loop and bring Chozen in to team with Johnny. Make him a Japanese car magnate just to troll Daniel a little more. poo poo, to add more drama, have it turn out that Daniel's actually active Facebook friends with Kumiko.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

iamsosmrt posted:

They should throw everyone for a loop and bring Chozen in to team with Johnny. Make him a Japanese car magnate just to troll Daniel a little more. poo poo, to add more drama, have it turn out that Daniel's actually active Facebook friends with Kumiko.

This is a fantastic idea.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

iamsosmrt posted:

Lmao, gently caress. I want this now instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yuji Okomoto is still an actor so it's definitely a possibility.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

iamsosmrt posted:

:hmmyes:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

iamsosmrt posted:

And that Kumiko had a kid by Daniel who shows up and challenges fail son to an Otaku off.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Anyone have William Zabka's contact? I'll send my million dollar idea ASAP. Thanks and you're welcome.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow this all sounds pretty nuts from the standpoint of having seen only S2E1. I stuck with S1 because it stayed just on the right side of the hackneyed writing line. I remember one instance - maybe when Miguel saw Sam with Robbie at the pool / house? - where I had my eyes set to roll, assuming we were in for a classic mutual misunderstanding situation that would throw all their relationships askew and fuel a cliché plot. Then Miguel Facetimed Sam and they hashed it out in a minute. I feel like that happened a few times and was very refreshing; the kids very believably just talked to each other and stupid BS didn't become stupid BS like it would...in an 80s movie. Y'all are telling me S2 goes right down the stupid BS road.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The S2 finale was, to quote Johnny Lawrence, BADASS

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I feel like they need to stop using the “about to reconcile, OH NO another misunderstanding!” Over and over and over again.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Wow this all sounds pretty nuts from the standpoint of having seen only S2E1. I stuck with S1 because it stayed just on the right side of the hackneyed writing line. I remember one instance - maybe when Miguel saw Sam with Robbie at the pool / house? - where I had my eyes set to roll, assuming we were in for a classic mutual misunderstanding situation that would throw all their relationships askew and fuel a cliché plot. Then Miguel Facetimed Sam and they hashed it out in a minute. I feel like that happened a few times and was very refreshing; the kids very believably just talked to each other and stupid BS didn't become stupid BS like it would...in an 80s movie. Y'all are telling me S2 goes right down the stupid BS road.

It's not a big time investment, friend. You should just watch it all and join us.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

SimonCat posted:

Can we drop the spoiler tags? You shouldn't be reading this thread if you haven't seen the series.

I'm not gonna read any further, I'm gonna give it a watch when I have more time and am in the right headspace. I just wanted to say I'm absolutely in love with the idea of this show. This is like 80's Nostalgia ROCKET FUEL and I get loving HYPE just thinking about it. I think the only thing that could've arguably be more 80's nostalgia would be Back to the Future and there's just no way they could ever do anything with that without loving it up. At most a reboot that was like the grimdark BSG reboot, might be somewhat interesting but for completely different reasons than the original was.

Anyway, yeah, hope this show is doing well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There is no problem season 2 had that wouldn't have been solved by a moment that almost happened in the last episode.

Daniel and Johnny are in the elevator together in the hospital. They look at one-another. Daniel exits.

I swore up and down this was about to happen, but it didn't. Johnny shouts at Daniel.

"What did we do, Daniel?"

Camera follows Johnny as he walks away from the elevator. Johnny shouts from the background.

"What did we do?!"

The whole series has been about a high school rivalry ruining the lives of two adults who should be over it and that spilling over into the lives of a whole group of high school kids, their offspring included, now culminating in a life-threatening injury. Johnny (or, gently caress it, either one of them) pointing this the gently caress out felt like it was coming and it felt so, so earned.

It would've taken the fun, terrible melodrama and escalated it into actual drama.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Spoilers: not using tags so just don't read if you really don't want to know.

And more in the GoT parallel, we had hapless Demitri(a character I actually like despite his being annoying) besting Hawk in the last episode which just wasn't believable to me. Yeah the seeds were clearly planted for this happening, but they got there way way too quickly without a proper progression. That shoulda been a season away. Didn't feel "earned" to use the term everyone seems to be going with recently. Hawk loses too much.

All in all it was still an enjoyable season but not to the extent s1 was. Too much focus on love lives. Did there have to be romance between Johnny and Miguel's mother? Felt like maybe 6 or 7 eps worth of material stretched to 10. Also for all the hype I don't think they did enough with Kreese, but I guess he'll still be around next season, which I'm still very interested in seeing.

Some annoying misunderstandings and reactions. Daniel throws out his whole relationship with robby over some dumb thing? "I gave you a second chance"--nothing even really happened! Also the dojo turning on Johnny like that at the end wasn't believable to me. Also events of e10 I think should have VERY serious consequences. That big of a brawl during school ending with that bad of an injury? I'd think there would be a major community backlash against karate. So many kids were involved in and got hurt in that fight.

I was never a big fan of the movies(only familiar with the first one really) so I don't have any real requests for what to see in the future.

Oh also--didn't enjoy the weird 30-something socializing with the highschoolers. Don't see what he brought to the show and wouldn't mind them just pretending he never existed next season.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 15, 2019

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
My favorite subtle detail in this season was Johnny having a Pioneer cassette deck installed in his Challenger.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The hyper uncool stingray taking his girlfriend to a highschool party was loving hilarious.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Season 3 could own.
https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-season-3-okinawa-miyagi-do/

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Oh poo poo, my grand idea is possible.

LividLiquid posted:

There is no problem season 2 had that wouldn't have been solved by a moment that almost happened in the last episode.

Daniel and Johnny are in the elevator together in the hospital. They look at one-another. Daniel exits.

I swore up and down this was about to happen, but it didn't. Johnny shouts at Daniel.

"What did we do, Daniel?"

Camera follows Johnny as he walks away from the elevator. Johnny shouts from the background.

"What did we do?!"

The whole series has been about a high school rivalry ruining the lives of two adults who should be over it and that spilling over into the lives of a whole group of high school kids, their offspring included, now culminating in a life-threatening injury. Johnny (or, gently caress it, either one of them) pointing this the gently caress out felt like it was coming and it felt so, so earned.

It would've taken the fun, terrible melodrama and escalated it into actual drama.

I agree in general. If Elizabeth Shue does end up coming in for S3, there's pretty much only one thing she could contribute that wouldn't be ridiculous, and that's shaming them for being grown-rear end fuckups who haven't gotten over highschool, providing the "what did we do" lesson they badly need. If they don't get to that point by the end of S3, I think the series will be dead in the water, because they've gone almost as far as this premise can go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I want to see Johnny go to Okinawa and find Chozen, who has dedicated his life to balance and peace after learning hard lessons from Daniel and his uncle Sato.
Meanwhile Daniel utterly abandons Karate, and submerged himself into work, and becomes a hardass business mogul.

All the while, Kreese is Kreesing the place up. Cobra Kai is back, poo poo’s hosed, yo.

Johnny brings either Kumiko, or the little girl Daniel and Miyagi saved from the bell tower back, and Daniel remembers balance. The two finally sit down and actually loving communicate; this so close, then a misunderstanding, bullshit stops.

Daniel is reminded that when the time came, Miyagi absolutely struck first, and struck hard, and often had no mercy. Johnny has learned that knowing WHEN to strike, and that no mercy doesn’t mean unrestrained violence.

The two find balance in each other. Meanwhile the little girl or Kumiko or whoever is now a world-class spinal surgeon who has pioneered an amazing new technique that is just right for Miguel, and he gets fixed up.