Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly I find the show works a lot better if I just imagine it's some sort of alt universe where police are mostly irrelevant and people are expected to solve the majority of their differences with heartfelt conversations or karate when that fails.

e: Also I want a whole rear end spin off that just follows Johnny and Daniel travelling and bickering and solving problems with karate, maybe after they get exiled from the valley for Too Much Karate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Well I mean as opposed to the real world in which cops would have mag dumped a number of the darker skinned characters for any number of minor crimes, obviously.

I mean I feel like the things that strained credulity in the second season were immediately addressed in s3ep1 and the show basically said "yeah it's silly just roll with it" and I am 100% good for that.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 3, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just finished up the season and one of the things I appreciate is that the actual fights are so well done and fun to watch that I personally can't give a poo poo about how ridiculous it is that all these kids haven't been expelled/locked up in juvie.

Glad they wrote Stingray out of the show because that was probably the cringiest thing about season two.

Also all the characters I was starting to get annoyed by all got solid growth and development this seasom except for Tori (who still had the whole thing with the slumlord creep and her mom) who apparently is just gonna nefariously twirl her moustache until the end of time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ralph Macchio was alsp great when he showed up on Psych, which was another fantastic show that mined the 80s for comedy and pathos.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Narcissus1916 posted:

I also found some of the material with Johnny to be a bit off this year. Like I get why he'd choose Miguel over LITERALLY Robby, but ouch. Just outch. Seeing him burn Robby and Bobby (hah) at the same time really hurt, you know?

This was the only thing about this season that I really hated, because it was so loving contrived. He could have said, "hey, I love Miguel and I want to be here for him but I also have a literal son in prison that I need to attend to, and I will come back to check on Miguel later." Like, a million ways you could have written around this that would have been more believable and still be able to have Robby make the choice he did.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My only problem with this season is that I feel like (halfway in essentially) the kids are written so much better than the adults, and also better than they've been written in previous seasons, so the adults come off as even bigger dumbasses. Terry Silver seems like the most actual grown-up person on the show even by episode 5.

e: I don't think any of that is spoilers but if I'm wrong I'd be happy to put up the black bars.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Robobot posted:

It seemed like something weird was going on between her and the show, but I’m glad she came back at least for an episode. Maybe she’ll be in it moving forward, but I doubt we’ll ever know what went on.

I liked the actress but that scene was acted terribly and it read like a first take, like she swung by the set for ten minutes and they just had to roll with it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I gotta admit it was pretty painful to see Daniel fall for that poo poo at the auction. He made such a point of warning Chozen all about what a crafty snake Terry Silver was, always three steps ahead etc, and then he goes and just falls for every dumb trap Terry sets for him. The more the show goes on the more I think that Daniel only took Mr. Miyagi's lessons at his lost superficial and without a helpful mentor figure he's doomed to keep making stupid mistakes. I guess that might even be the point, I am not really sure where they are going with this. Johnny has had a lot of character growth and Daniel hasn't had nearly as much so far. Also I really feel for Amanda because I want to shake Daniel by the face and yell "do you realize how crazy you sound? Whether you're right or not?"

Show is still drat good fun though and the Top Gun dream, particularly the reveal, had us in stitches, it was great.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm sure someone else torched the place, probably after receiving a large sum of money from an anonymous benefactor who implied that it would be for the best if the furniture store burned down.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well just finished episode six and hachi machi how the gently caress is this show so good? drat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lmao when we were watching last night and Daniel went into the Miuagi room, we saw our living room floor lamp right there, and my partner and I both turned to each other at the same time and exclaimed "that's our lamp!" like big loving dorks

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Tbh I read that scene differently than everyone else in here apparently. I thought he meant that Terry's story about learning from that guy was a bunch of bullshit, not the guy's name.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BiggerBoat posted:

Kind of like Friday Night Lights where the whole town centers around high school football except here it's karate for whatever reason.

Ever been to Texas?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Was it a PS4 pro? Because it would be really funny if Daniel broke his PS4 pro and tried to replace it with a regular PS4.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The last scene she was in was horribly acted and seemed like a competition between her and Mary Mouser to see who could do the most flat and awkward line read. I don't know if it was due to dissatisfaction of being written out of the show or if it was because they ran it through in one take.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Xealot posted:

I won’t be happy unless Johnny must defeat Frank Dux. While defending the Earth Realm in Mortal Kombat.

Johnny "Cage" Lawrence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jackie Chan should show up and look at the camera as he patiently explains to the audience that karate and kung-fu are two entirely different martial arts from different countries.