Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I literally just finished watching season 2. Non-spoiler thoughts here. If S1 was a 10/10, I'd say this was a 8/10. Still really entertaining, but there was a strong amount of nuance and dimension in the main characters in the first season that seemed to be lost in this one. It was a tough act to follow up, but there were a lot of moments I felt a bit like eye-rolling at how contrived a lot of the setups were for big events. Though I guess John effin Kreese alone telegraphed that things would get way less subtle.

In particular this season made Daniel and Sam LaRusso much less sympathetic IMO. Daniel-San was so drat petty and hyper-reactive about everything, it was actually pretty distracting how little thought or investigation he put into anything. If that's the definitive direction they're going for with him, I guess that's ok, but he was way more organic in the first season. I couldn't really tell if it was sloppy writing or actually intentional, but it's probably a bit of both. He was clearly a shitheel when he stormed into Johnny's apartment and was a pretty big hypocrite about his own kid seeking refuge with Lawrence as opposed to the reverse when he was letting the man's son live with him.

Sam's arc was kind of WTF. Her ish with Tory started from her own mistaken accusation of stealing her mom's wallet and frankly she never owned up to it in the show, which comes off as kind of big deal if you think about it for even a second. Yeah she got pushed into dessert, but frankly she also grabbed the girl's bag. By the end it's clear that Tory is batshit (which I wish again, had more nuance and less... 80s writing), but Sam shares a lot of the same pushing off all culpability onto others Cobra Kai until she very indirectly gets Miguel got.

I think I've always been annoyed by the actor for Robbie, he just has an annoying presence and really dumb hair. I found it kind of funny he didn't even get an ending scene after the big fight. Was he arrested? Does his dad even care?

I'm def. on Team Johnny at this point. If only he were smart enough to explain his situation and motivations better to assholes like LaRusso. But alas, he's just going to have to settle for mourning in the arms of his high school sweetheart after we find out she's a widow with two cute dogs. Also hoping Miguel is OK. I wouldn't be shocked if he's paralyzed, but I'd be pretty sad if he dies. Hell, I'd be sad if he's paralyzed too, so I'm hoping they extend the hyper cheesy 80s poo poo to Miguel making a miraculous recovery and being the man once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's got to be an insult for DiCaprio, but I haven't watched his Growing Pains footage since they first aired back in the day.

Robbie vaguely resembles Shawn Hunter from Boy Meets World, IMO, but the actor's pretty awful at playing believable "at-risk" youths.

On the show, I admit I should really go and watch KK3. I only watched the first two plus that Jackie Chan reboot attempt. It's clear I'm missing out on some backstory which wasn't at all important in season 1, but Kreese's presence only looks to get bigger next season.

edited for minor spoiler

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 27, 2019

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

Dimitri is either the best or worse character in any scene he's in. E.g. Worst: "I hate learning karate and painting fences." Best: The Moon's house comedy roast of Hawk.

Daniel's wife continued to kill it this season, and I really enjoyed the whole double dinner date plot. It was nice to see Daniel and Johnny find some common ground, even if it didn't last.

I enjoy the earnest Daniel/Johnny scenes (they went to a bar in S1 and were close to having a "friendly" sparring session too), but the most disappointing thing about each is they may as well be non-canon since neither scene seems to have any effect on their relationships going forward. Not even a hint of "Johnny's an rear end in a top hat, but he's actually not too bad, maybe I shouldn't jump to extreme conclusions every time I hear anything about him" immediately afterwards.

Weasling Weasel posted:

I liked watching every single episode, but somehow the season as a whole was dissapointing? Maybe just down to a lack of any resolution at all, stuff kinda just happened and characters developed sporadically without their being any pay-off at the end (other than the fight scene in the high-school which was pretty dope for a TV Show). However, it was emotionally weighty when it needed to be, was sorta funny, and it's hard to not enjoy 80's synth-pop and training montages.
I think if season 1 wasn't so well written, this season's writing would've come off much better. Season 1 was a genuinely well scripted and thought out show, a real effort to bring the Karate Kid to a somewhat (I mean it's still people doing karate) realistic and modern tone. Season 2 is much more blatantly 80s in terms of reactionary cheese, which is a disappointing drop off from what made season 1 so good. It's well made 80s, but I prefer how it was before.

It'll be curious how they resolve the school fight, since realistically, it'd be insane to let any of those kids back, and if anything, most of them should be arrested and spending some time in juvi. But my guess is they'll ignore it and pretend the injuries to Miguel are the only thing of consequence.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Oh poo poo I forgot about the failson. My guess is they must've paid attention to maybe 1 source of feedback from the first season and responded in kind with this season. Failson must not have been well liked, as I think he was effectively replaced by Mr. Edward 40hands Stingray.

Anyone seen any behind the scenes material on this show? I'm guessing only a handful of actors took serious fight training because honestly only like Hawk, Miguel and a couple of others can throw believable kicks and punches. Sam needs to step her game up, she's like watching Shane McMahon embarrass people as he peppers pro wrestlers with the shittiest pulled punches I've ever seen.

If Miguel is indeed out of commission next season, the student fighting's going to take a pretty big nose dive. I really just want to see him wreck Robbie properly next season

Also, after the one episode of Johnny's mini reunion, I have a huge appreciation for William Zabka's looks, because man did the other Cobra Kai age like poo poo.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Has anyone here actually taken karate classes? I've never done it, but I'm just curious how deep the classes and lessons tend to seep into people's lives. I mean it's clearly more important than life itself in Cobra Kai, but even in the original Karate Kid, it felt more like karate was more of a side component of Daniel learning life from Miyagi.

Also, I wonder if Daniel will take any responsibility for Miyagi-do breaking Miguel's entire backside, or if he's just going to pass it off as evil Cobra-kai blood tainting his lessons.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

My grandfather learned karate and Judo in Japan after the war, he became a black belt in both and a national judge in Judo in Australia. Two of his kids were champions here. One of them was for sure the Cobra Kai type, he's a twat.

He told me in Japan it was very much live and breath the training.

Wait, your uncle is John Kreese and his dad is Daniel-San?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

SimonCat posted:

His wife does a great job of calling out how obsessed he is with the whole thing. Arguably what happened to Miguel was Daniel's fault. He is purposefully antagonizing Johnny and Cobra-Kai because he can't get over being bullied in high school even though Johnny and Co. had let it go then too. Daniel doesn't know when to quit and it's bit him in the rear end on more than one occasion. Hell, this season even sees Johnny be the bigger man by not throwing the first punch and Daniel breaking into Johnny's home instead of relaxing. It's quite the opposite of what Mr. Miyagi taught and goes into how easily he was seduced by the old Cobra-Kai in Karate Kid part 3.

His wife does a job, but I wouldn't say it was great. She let his over-the-top efforts go on to the point where their business is impacted and they even lose a son. I need to see some interviews or something because I can't decide if Daniel's writing is bad or if he's intentionally this ridiculous. He never even bothered to figure out what kind of person Miguel was and why Sam was ever dating a kid who's only important trait to Daniel is that he's a Cobra Kai member.

He's absolutely got a lot of culpability for all the poo poo that's gone down throughout the season. There's never a time where he tries diplomacy, but instead aggressively tries to compete with Cobra Kai and only teaches his students why they should basically always oppose and distrust Cobra Kai specifically, as opposed to simply focusing on self improvement.

Daniel-San is a huge instigator and he's also kind of a dumbass for trusting that a teenage boy living in his house ain't going to try to hook up with his teenage girl. I kind of wish they made Robbie and Sam more realistic and start season 3 with a pregnancy angle.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Often Abbreviated posted:

Giving up on the spoiler tags because :effort:

I actually really like this about Daniel. He's got a lot of fast-talking Jersey swagger, always has, and kind of relies on it when calming the gently caress down would do a lot of good. He's always looking for an opportunity to lash out and overreact to something. It's why Miyagi was such a crucial influence on his life - he's always needed someone who can tell him when to just chill out and let a perceived insult go past. I also really like that he's never fully understood that lesson but his braggadocio demands that he thinks he does, so he does dumb stuff out of misplaced self-confidence like set up the Miyago-Do Dojo, adding fuel to the fire and making everything much, much worse. Miyagi himself would have done anything but. You can see how this works with Amanda too - she's obviously the down-to-earth, pragmatic brains of the relationship and he's the hot babe they put on the posters.

Basically I think it's all great character writing.

I do think it's a shame we don't get the same for Tory and some of the other background Cobra Kais, but I guess part of the story of the show is how all these individual kids end up considering themselves part of the same mass.

That's a pretty good argument. I still can't say I'm a fan of the characterization, but you've rationalized it fairly well. I'll probably just have to let go of the more realistic season 1 and accept the Daniel shift for what it is. I'm still curious where his arc will lead him, as he's teetering on being an actual heel at this point.

I kind of hope his wife leaves him and ends up with a guy who's actually grounded, humble and doesn't jeopardize all the important things in his life over a pointless and obsessive vendetta.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe Waah is saying the writing budget was a 2 for $5 McDonald's deal, and they're left with just one Big Mac.

Also, after seeing a commercial for incontinence on TV, I realize Hawk was the one "villain" who had justifiable reason to murder his target. gently caress Demetri. Hawk let him hang around for awhile, all the way until he started poo poo talking the one thing Hawk clearly loved, Cobra Kai. Eli's clearly got anger issues, but Demetri was being a poo poo.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wait, there's two people in the world named Peyton List?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Medullah posted:

Peyton is a pretty popular name

I don't doubt it's a normal name, but it's not exactly Mary or something. Plus I've never heard of a single person of the surname List before. I'll accept the L.

Propaganda Machine posted:

What bugs me is that the good season 1 writers clearly had something in mind for this year, and I don't hate the Kreese storyline. There just wasn't much inspiration to the kids' storylines. Honestly, Tory with her one-note personality and total lack of backstory and motivation did a lot to mar the season. Her and Dmitry both

Agreed, Tory has a decent screen presence and I had higher hopes for her, but they really dropped the ball on having her be a complete psycho for a pretty minor infraction. Hell, I think it would've been pretty easy to find other ways to have a big fight without it coming from a ridiculously scenario. I mean getting on the PA in high school and threatening a girl's life? She probably could've rounded up some kids and challenged Sam at Miyagi-do or something. Like, I'm not clear if it's even possible for her not to face prison time for what happened.

Hah, as I think about it a little now, season 3 would realistically be about the national media spotlight and backlash against Cobra Kai and Daniel for producing the high school fight of the century with a ton of injuries (including a teacher), property damage and most importantly happening in a predominantly white community. LaRusso auto would probably fold under competitive pressure and Daniel having to answer for his star pupil and daughter's BF murdering a his daughter's ex at their school.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

I'm gonna write too many words here that no one will care about but...

I own a martial arts school and have been teaching/training/fighting/coaching for almost 35 years. I saw the original film when I was 13 and I knew right then that I would devote my life to martial arts.

Anyway I'm only halfway through S2 but love it slightly less than S1.

Cobra Kai is the better school. gently caress Miyagi-do!

Thanks for that insight. That's pretty cool and I totally agree on the last line. Just out of curiosity, have you ever used any of these martial arts in a real life fight?

80s and 90s action flicks tended to treat martial arts experts as human weapons who could defeat groups of thugs in hand to hand combat with exaggerated theatrics and poses, but the last 15 or so years have seen movies/TV shift to a grittier, more realistic depiction of all out combat. Cobra Kai is the first time in awhile I've seen actual karate depicted earnestly as a threatening martial art for outside combat (Johnny vs. the bully teens in s1, possible spoiler scene in s2). I find these scenes both cool and funny at the same time, because it is pretty ridiculous that these attacks would work in a real altercation.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

I do think it suffered from 3 main issues IMO which I hope they can course correct but may just be the nature of the beast:

1) In order to keep the drama up everyone had to start acting just a little stupider. Daniel is the main victim of this, but the misunderstandings that happened in the first season seemed a lot more real and organic, whereas here you had to have people just flat out not communicate or assume the absolute worst of every situation.

2) Growing out of this, it seems like a big part of the season required Miguel and Johnny to be out of the center of the drama in order to keep them more "innocent" or relatable or whatever. So e.g. while the other Cobra Kais were feuding Miguel was often over in the corner writing texts or emails or whatever to Sam. Same with Johnny needing to take a few eps off in order to Kreese to start getting his hooks in. So arguably the two main characters were vestigial to the central conflict and just caught the worst of it by the end of the season.

3) Basically every single conflict immediately exploded into a karate fight. In the first season there was a little of that but it was always more organic and the biggest fights came in actual dojo/tournament scenarios, not like brawls in the mall or parties or at school or whatever.

I think it was still really good but I think the natural instinct was to ramp things up with more karate and more drama, and something was lost. Like I read an interview where the idea for the school fight grew out of not wanting every season to end with a tournament, which is probably a good idea but leads to some heightened ridiculousness.
I agree with your points. Reading this, it became clear to me that Daniel never really emphasized to his students how Karate is a loving dangerous sport and using it on people should not be taken lightly. I'd say the same about Cobra Kai, but I think it's pretty clear they all understand what the school is about.

I mean, he does say it should be used in defense only, but doesn't ever say that giving a kid a roundhouse kick could probably break his neck or something, and that maybe they should try to disarm people rather than cripple them.

The seasons should be longer, either lengthier episodes or more of them. It just felt like they left way too many things in the air at the end. What happened to Tory and Robbie? How does Johnny feel about Robbie now? Does Daniel feel any responsibility?

teagone posted:

Just got done watching season 2. Pretty good. Season 1 was better though. But lol if they bring back Terry Silver next season. They have to now, so that he can join up with Kreese again. And then Johnny is gonna team up with Danny lmao. loving lets go.
Nah, Daniel is an rear end in a top hat, Johnny needs to start yet another Karate gym with his own name and code. Also, they should bring back the shitheel bullies from Season 1 to join Kreese's Cobra Kai.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So Tori is the show's Daenerys insert right? The writer's clearly have a hard-on for GoT and this season's episode 5 had the Cobra Kai s2 finale written all over it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's taking my allusion too seriously.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should throw everyone for a loop and bring Chozen in to team with Johnny. Make him a Japanese car magnate just to troll Daniel a little more. poo poo, to add more drama, have it turn out that Daniel's actually active Facebook friends with Kumiko.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Anyone have William Zabka's contact? I'll send my million dollar idea ASAP. Thanks and you're welcome.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Wow this all sounds pretty nuts from the standpoint of having seen only S2E1. I stuck with S1 because it stayed just on the right side of the hackneyed writing line. I remember one instance - maybe when Miguel saw Sam with Robbie at the pool / house? - where I had my eyes set to roll, assuming we were in for a classic mutual misunderstanding situation that would throw all their relationships askew and fuel a cliché plot. Then Miguel Facetimed Sam and they hashed it out in a minute. I feel like that happened a few times and was very refreshing; the kids very believably just talked to each other and stupid BS didn't become stupid BS like it would...in an 80s movie. Y'all are telling me S2 goes right down the stupid BS road.

It's not a big time investment, friend. You should just watch it all and join us.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Oh poo poo, my grand idea is possible.

LividLiquid posted:

There is no problem season 2 had that wouldn't have been solved by a moment that almost happened in the last episode.

Daniel and Johnny are in the elevator together in the hospital. They look at one-another. Daniel exits.

I swore up and down this was about to happen, but it didn't. Johnny shouts at Daniel.

"What did we do, Daniel?"

Camera follows Johnny as he walks away from the elevator. Johnny shouts from the background.

"What did we do?!"

The whole series has been about a high school rivalry ruining the lives of two adults who should be over it and that spilling over into the lives of a whole group of high school kids, their offspring included, now culminating in a life-threatening injury. Johnny (or, gently caress it, either one of them) pointing this the gently caress out felt like it was coming and it felt so, so earned.

It would've taken the fun, terrible melodrama and escalated it into actual drama.

I agree in general. If Elizabeth Shue does end up coming in for S3, there's pretty much only one thing she could contribute that wouldn't be ridiculous, and that's shaming them for being grown-rear end fuckups who haven't gotten over highschool, providing the "what did we do" lesson they badly need. If they don't get to that point by the end of S3, I think the series will be dead in the water, because they've gone almost as far as this premise can go.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm hoping that's an intentional fakeout, because there's very little justification for that big tease at the end of the last season otherwise.

I really just wanna know Miguel's fate. Poor kid

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I thought it was clever that the show played up the negative aspects of Daniel's character from the movies and the show. Yeah he was definitely bullied in the original movie, but there are aspects of his character then and in Cobra Kai that pushed things along. These are things I've only seen as an adult looking back, not during my first viewings as a kid.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

At this point in time, is Elizabeth Shue really higher profile than the Cobra Kai cast?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Just caught up and finished the season. I thought it was mostly pretty good but it suffered from too many characters and not enough time to let most of the storylines breathe. The contrivances for misunderstandings and betrayals felt a little lazier and often made some characters way less sympathetic--especially Daniel.

I thought the prom episode was pretty lame though, leaned way too much into cheesy melodrama and Stingray is gross.

Terry Silver is a great villain and has a great presence whenever he's on screen. I hope he employs Tory as a franchise sensei or something so she can finally stop working lovely jobs

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The cheesy melodrama is the heart of the show though. Like, I get it, it's a shockingly good netflix show based on the goddam Karate Kid franchise. The original actors are all great.

But it's always been goofy. This is Riverdale, except the 30-years-olds in high school solve their drama with combat instead of boring romance.

I mean, I get that, but everyone has their own cheesy limits I guess. The couples dancing and fighting was a bit much for me.

It's all good, the tournament was strong IMO, though I'll always stan Miguel on the show so I'm always a bit disappointed when he gets the short end of the stick.

No Retreat No Surrender is one of my favorite action flicks

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I legit thought it looked like Miguel was doing a Ryu/Ken hurricane kick for a second and got super hyped. The sudden twist into what looked like a back breaking injury got me pretty good.

Overall though, Miguel was just kinda there, even the little tension with Sam didn't have a real payoff or growth moment. She wasn't even given a reaction to his disappearing to Mexico.

I also wish Johnny had more reactions during the tourney, Hawk was his pupil for awhile, I think he was even officially Eagle Fang before he quit karate?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That championship fight was maybe the only time I've thought Sam looked somewhat believable as a karate practitioner so I thought it was pretty great.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Part of early season 1's charm for me was how bad and cheesy the karate fighting looked, especially the adults. They've mostly all improved over time, probably as the series got bigger and they realized they actually have something here.

I would guess they actually started putting all the actors in legit, rigorous training. I assume half the main cast were actors first and half were athletes/practitioners turned actors.

And yeah, Miguel did look a bit chubby and they seemed to withold him from intricate action sequences, I hope he's healthy and ok. Someone said he's been cast in a superhero flick?

Full disclosure I haven't looked up anyone's background so forgive my ignorance if I'm missing anything.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 6, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Just finished it and drat what a season. I hope there's more. It's cheesy and stupid at times but they hit all the right bears when they needed to.

I'm glad that Chosen survived. He became one of my favorites and they definitely set it up that it could've gone that way.

There's still a lot of loose ends, including the world tourney to address, though not sure if it'd still be called Cobra Kai considering what happened.

Penis Breath probably has to move to another town though, dude's gotta be a pariah after backstabbing his friends pretty badly.

The only issue with a potential season 6 is lacking a big baddie to drive the story. It wouldn't feel organic if one of the international schools became a dramatic threat, and those Cobra Kai senseis weren't that compelling aside from being badass goons.

Maybe a full season wouldn't be needed, though I don't know if a movie would be a good way to conclude things. Main things left would be seeing Johnny and Daniel complete their character arcs, Chozen getting with Kumiko, and the kids fully taking the Miyagi/Eagle Fang karate reins/mending all the tensions in the valley with the philosophical lessons and balance. Carrying on the legacy. It's not 100% vital, but still, it's an epilogue that I think most of us would want to see.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 15, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The funniest thing about Kim Da Eun is her terrible accent, which sounds like her trying to ham up a generic evil Asian accent through her Aussie one. She doesn't sound remotely like someone raised in S. Korea. It didn't detract too much from the season overall, but she's got like zero compelling connection to the remaining characters besides Tory and Devon.

She could be made somewhat interesting with Kreese, but there's not much to look forward to wrt to them. I kinda wish they held off on Terry Silver's downfall

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 16, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

pentyne posted:

I think this show was perfect in early seasons when they hit the right combination of everyone acting like they do in the 80s movies with the occasional modern person almost breaking the 4th wall to go "what the gently caress are you people doing?"

They're starting to sort of lose that by always going to the well of insane karate hijinks every time and this was definitely the worst between Tory being forced to break her hands, Kreese beating the poo poo out of everyone else in jail(although a really great scene using the younger actor to make up for Martin Kove's age), and the constant back and forth 'power level' stuff like Chozen beats 6 Cobra Kai senseis, then when the international experts show up it takes Chozen and Johnny just to stand against a single one of them. Also, the 6-10 Miyagi-Do students fighting off 3x their number of Cobra Kai was bad even for this show. Everything up to this point was always more of a even numbers feud.

Season 6 needs to be the final chapter of this, hopefully they can spring to film in Japan for some extra impressive scenery. The whole Cobra Kai karate taking over the Valley reached such an insanely dumb level that it's got no where else to really go.

The one thing I felt would help for the water park scene is the lifeguard just rolling up and going "okay, get the gently caress out. Don't care who started it, you all leave" way earlier and sort of brought back the sense that real world rules still existed in some aspect or another for these stupid karate gang wars. Same thing with the Cobra Kai bragging that the other students broke in, so calling the cops just gets them in trouble not Cobra Kai. Like, if someone breaks into your workplace you aren't allowed to then gang up on them and beat the poo poo out of them, and you especially aren't allowed to then block the entrance/exit.

I don't entirely disagree with your sentiments but it's gotta be pointed out that Chozen beat a bunch of valley jamoke senseis trying out to be Cobra Kai senseis, and it's clear Chozen is like Vegeta on Namek to their saibamen level. The sensei that it took Chozen and Daniel was like Ginyu squad before the heroes had their big training/zenkais.

The Miyagi students standing up to the bigger squad was based on their defensive training to protect the egg and whatever Chozen trained them after. Inch wide/mile deep vs. mile wide/inch deep.

The rest of your statement is fair enough, the show pretty much knows it's pretty ridiculous at this point, I think it leaned into it to.just the right levels to not overdo any one cheesy thing too much. I'm glad they didn't overdo the miscommunication leads to problems schtick of the first 4 seasons too much and just had things hash out and develop according to fights and conversation.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should bring in JCVD to play his Russian villain from No Retreat No Surrender as the head baddie for the Sekai Tekkai. They were pretty much Cobra Kai but then times more aggressive anyway

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I look at it as a show that was a bit weak when it was trying to be genuinely good and is really good when it leans into being schlock. After 5 seasons it didn't want to drag out certain dramas too much (Miguel's daddy issues, Amanda's disapproval of Daniels crusade, the teens miscommunication) and wanted to give us the proper fan service we as fans have wanted since season 1. The long build up to everything, including the rivals teaming up against a greater evil was a great pay off, which is why season 6, though very welcome, feels almost unnecessary now.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Only thing I'd really change is they should have made this season longer and done the tournament with Silver's downfall, a long with Chozen finally getting his boo. Kreese could've stayed rotting or been released a rehabilitated man at peace. Everything else basically wrapped up satisfyingly as far as the series.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Stingray's been a terrible person but he's a semi fun character. Anyway, he's above redditors just for the fact that he had legit moves. I was actually surprised by his athleticism against those teens.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ram dass in hell posted:

this will insantly become my favorite show of all time if this happens and everyone's furious and like, the LaRussos are washing their groceries and poo poo and getting vaccinated and Johnny is wearing a cloth mask on his chin and poo poo. well karate tournament is cancelled because 15 days to stop the spread. huh. well let's see if the senseis are able to get their unemployment claims processed

Heh, now that everybody's friends, this would be the most realistic schism between the LaRussos and Lawrence's family.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Frankly I kinda wish they did finish the Kreese arc with his prison death. Martin Kove is 76 and probably isn't to have any great climatic battle at this point. Would have been fine with the final season being the world tournament and Johnny either completely burying Cobra Kai or taking it back and turning it into a positive dojo. Kreese dying could've served as a big impetus for Johnny's final maturation.

Anyway, it's fairly open ended now so tbd about where they go with Kreese.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m halfway through the season, having fun.

Chozen beating up Barnes’ employees as a gag was a little over-the-top even for this goofy-rear end show.

I thought the swelling dramatic music during a pepper eating competition was a little silly, and then I got to the dramatic water slide race.

Funny if it turned out Barnes store was burned down by disgruntled employees who weren't expecting to get assaulted by a Japanese karate master and their boss not filing charges or providing proper medical coverage.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

One of the particulars that work well for Cobra Kai that many other older franchises would have issue with is how gracefully their original cast members aged. They're mostly reasonably fit, not victims of too much plastic surgery, and have a spry energy that doesn't make you feel bad.

It's just enough that you can laugh with them on the ridiculous 80s poo poo instead of feeling bad for laughing at them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nah if they do a reboot, at this point they should go for a Chrono Cross inspired follow up where it's a whole new cast with some uncertain connection to the McFly/Brown families but dealing with the unforseen ramifications of their time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm with the don't remake BttF crowd, the original was pretty near perfect as it was, and even perfectly holds it's place in time staying solely within 1985 and 1955. The series quality barely withstood the sequels anyway, where everyone's fond memories of 2 are solely the interesting 2015 designs and no one really mentions 3.

Besides it's unlikely any modern major studios would do it justice as anything more than a soulless cash grab.