Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Roach Warehouse posted:

Frankly there’s not enough love in this thread for Johnny discovering the internet.

“I knew it!”

"SEND IT TO THE INTERNET"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's staggering how many people are just finding out about it simply because it's no longer hidden away on Youtube.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I love the fight in the cafeteria. "It's not lame rear end karate...It's Cobra Kai"

Even better on rewatch, the setup is fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Netflix is going to tell them season 4 is the last and then during filming they'll surprise renew for a fifth season. The series finale will be put on the shelf to be used at the end of season 5, marking the only appearance in the season of Daniel's daughter who will otherwise have to be written out. They'll fill out the early half of the season with a plot centered around psychics taking refuge in the Miyagi-Do Doji, hiding from Stingray who has been tasked by Cobra Kai to hunt down rogue psychic karate practitioners. Johnny will return as head of Cobra Kai, but Terry Silver will outfit him with a mind-control device. Still, he thinks it better to allow himself to be a puppet than for another Kreese to be allowed to assume power. In the end, Kreese and Johnny will destroy Cobra Kai forever in a suicide/murder pact, strangling each other while Johnny has enough Coors in his body to overwhelm the mind-control device.

Daniel, having reconciled with his wife, enjoys a quiet family dinner before going out to see if he can't get the old yellow classic running one last time. The final scene will be Daniel's son wandering around their McMansion the following morning because he needs a new Nintendo Switch. Daniel is nowhere to be found, though the car is still parked out front.

:golfclap:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of impractical fighting, what was going on with the tournament-dudes who just kept doing sick flips in the season one finale?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No not Zander, the dojo that was almost certainly ran by these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjYb7abs6bQ

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I just started watching this and I have a very important question: does this show ever stop being about Danny's terribly-written daughter and general high school drama because I desperately want to skip every scene with that poo poo to get back to the middle aged men and their karate.

Not really, in season 2 it morphs into high school karate turf wars if that's any help.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Ugh it's like I'm reading a cracked article from 2005.

Well it's canon. Cobra Kai is literally this turned into a show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Show references the hell out of the third movie which is bar none the best. :colbert:

EDIT: Daniel bringing up the events of the third movie and Johnny being all 'I dont know anything about this lunacy' was such a great scene.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Aisha isn't coming back in season 3, apparently because the writers couldn't find a place for her in their scripts! What the hell? The diminished role she had in season 2 was bad enough.

https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-season-3-aisha-robinson-nichole-brown-left-why/

Like last time this was brought up it very much seems like this stems from something off-screen rather than a production decision.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

UltraShame posted:

You know what happens to snitches...

THEY GET IMMUNITY!

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1340437223594979334

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lol the immunity line is solid character building though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Considering everyone else in the thread seems to agree with me I think you must not be.

Zabka is fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Most actors are pretty limited. Opportunity and directors are what make the difference.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

UltraShame posted:

Hey, Bruce Willis was really good in all of his diverse roles including characters such as *checks notes*... Bruce Willis!

Bruce Willis later career is so baffling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP47VQTxufM

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So, new season when?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh so just 2 hours then?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Darko posted:

The flashback Terry Silva fake out was funny.

Yeah (E10) they nailed that LMAO. Got me. I'm so curious how they'll gloss over what a humiliation the last time that favour being called in ended up being.

Have so many thoughts about the season. To start off, there sure were a lot of returning cast members from season 1 that were absent in season 2. Were there production issues with season 2 or something?

Shameful lack of Karate's bad boy outside of the one flashback. Is he the only plot-central character from the movies not to make a return at this point? I guess pot-girl too.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 1, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Darko posted:

Michael Ironside and Walton Goggins havent been back.

That movie isn't canon. :colbert:

Although holy poo poo, https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/887370983711145984

Rhyno posted:

I thought this season was shot before Netflix bought it?

With the long production jump? No way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Makes the casting gaps even more confusing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah Dimitri was incredibly chill about having his arm broken.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

5 min in and episode 1 loving delivers.

Daniel: "I was bullied and karate saved me"

Crowd: "Bullshit! I heard you were the bully!"

That was just :discourse:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WarMECH posted:

The music in this show is so loving good like listen to S3 E7 first scene it's basically SNES era Final Fantasy boss music it owns hard.

And the song that plays over the ending credits could have been performed by Nobuo Uematsu and the Black Mages cant wait for S4.

The song during the big brawl was just straight up off-brand JRPG buttrock, inspired choice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

Johnny-Robbie (and Daniel-Robbie, for that matter) are a lot harder to put, IMO. Part of me wishes they had more time to explore these relationships, but part of me feels like the isolation was half of the point. There are several episodes at a time where the show just forgets about Robbie, and hell, I think the characters do too. Daniel seems content with the idea of letting him be locked up with a lighter sentence. Sam and Johnny have a lot on their plates and outside of a few token attempts by Johnny, never try to visit him. He says he doesn't want Johnny around, and their interactions always lead to him being hurt one way or another, but the isolation hurts just as much. If the cast had active relationships progressing with Robbie, I don't think he'd have that same isolation that lead to him falling under Kreese's sway.

It would help if Johnny didn't once again de-prioritise him in favour of his substitute son when it really mattered. Daniel similarly also did what he thought was right, but by forcing it upon Robbie he torched whatever trust they had built up and there was no recovering from that.

Robbie's whole arch is that since he has abandonment issues he will sabotage the productive relationships he does have and will end up with anyone left that accepts him. Whether that be the dumb duo, Daniel as in season 1 or the bully-gang as here. By rejecting both of the caretakers who try to be there for him he is left with no other option.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty messed up he didn't see any prison-time for wantonly beating up kids.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny mocked Zakarian mid season so by the end he was happy to screw him over by giving it to Kreese.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the original Karate Kid the only good one? I remember watching Part 2 as a kid but I was like 5.

Karate Kid 3 is a very outrageous and memorable movie.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Karate Kid 3 is a badly written, poorly acted and overwrought mess of a movie. It's great!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I never got around to watching III but its free on Amazon. From what I can tell though, it is not referenced in the show as much as 1 and 2 are.

It's literally the basis for key parts of the drama in season 1, 2 and 3! In season 1 when they reference Cobra Kai ouright being banned, that's that's a straight reference to Karate kid 3. Same with season 2's "I was a Cobra Kai"-spiel and season 3's Vietnam flashbacks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So is season 5 going to be Johnnys evil twin?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The funniest part of Karate Kid 3 is Terry Silvers actor being one year younger than Ralph Macchio while acting the role of a vietnam vet.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 6, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

The funniest part for me is how a multi-millionaire CEO and business mogul spends so much time trying to gently caress up a high school kid's day, and taking such glee in the process. Top level cartoon villainy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLC1fSLnJNY

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny is gonna learn the mythical front sweep.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah he was trying to cover up the fact that he'd been stuck in a shelter. No idea why he didn't call terry then but maybe terry only picks up when it means he can bully teenagers.

Terry is 100% driving the plot in KK3, when they first meet all Kreese is trying to do is hand him the keys to his property. Terry is all about terrorising teenagers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That guy was like the worst guy to ever guy.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's interesting how Kreese didn't learn anything from being manipulated and exploited by a quixotic lunatic who wanted his own little private army. Well, he learned that he should replace that guy.

I dunno, Kreese isn't a complete lunatic by the start of the first karate-kid movie. He's just a war-brained vet that can't handle losing. It's not until KK3 that he goes completely off the deep end and becomes what he is in Cobra Kai.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 8, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

This show is written like pro wrestling - absolutely anybody can do a face or a heel turn at any moment. I fully expect Hawk and Tori to be redeemed in S4.

Everyone unites to stand together against Karate's Bad Boy™.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I fairly certian the dealership car brand changes between season 1 and 2. (prob because of sponsors.) I wasn't paying as close attention in s3.

They have multiple dealerships.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Isometric Bacon posted:

They definitely say Doyona. There's a Fx shot of a large building in Tokyo with it written on a tower.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as others suspected, they found they couldn't use the word Toyota and had to dub it afterwards, or otherwise they just did a soundalike anyway since it was a large plot point where they represent people from the company as characters.

"Hey Toyota do you want to be featured in our karate TV-show where you're shown to be a nefarious and easily manipulable titan squeezing out a small businessman and only nepotism makes you change your mind? What do you mean no?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well, he was a very bad man.