Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So i've got watch this, this week but after watching the first episode I can kinda tell that getting Kove to come back ate into the writing budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

iamsosmrt posted:

Maybe Waah is saying the writing budget was a 2 for $5 McDonald's deal, and they're left with just one Big Mac.

This. It's clear that the writing just isnt the same and I dont know if was lightning in a bottle or if it was less of an emphasis on it in favor of getting a wider audience.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I still got the last two episodes to finish, but it seems like the middle episodes really recapture the feeling.

I think the first episode or two really do suffer from soap opera logic to set things in motion and that's really the biggest problem. Everything else would be okay and forgivable if it wasn't so heavy handed in setting things in motion.

However, the loving cinematography in this season is loving outstanding.

The contrasts between what is being said and what is being shown, especially in the dojos is great. The framing of the actors really is quite awesome. The 80s call backs, "music videos", and openers are all really good.

I wanted to rewatch season 1 because it was an amazing season. I can't wait to rewatch season 2, because I want to actually watch season 2 and soak in everything on screen without caring about the story.

But the worst bit of soap opera logic is putting a guy who is in Hospice on a loving motorcycle. Are you loving kidding me?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Medullah posted:

He knew that was his last ride and wanted to go out on his own terms

No I get that. I mean he's in a hospital with assisted breathing. Maybe let him ride side car so that he doesn't pass out and become the hood ornament of a 18 wheeler instead of dying peacefully in his sleep.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Did they ever use the "no bad student, only bad teacher" line in this season? Or are they going to save til next season to bludgeon us over the head with it?

I was really surprised at how emotional the show was able to get about Miguel getting hosed up. I didn't think Zabka could pull it off, and I can't tell if it was good editing or good acting or possibly both.

Miguel really is the most important part of the show and I think that's what put me off about ththe first few episodes is that he isnt as important to what is happening.

I dont think season two is as good as season 1, but being that season 3 is a go, I hope that the writers were just betting the farm on having a 3rd season.

Season 2 is going slowly get better in my mind as time goes by. If it wasn't for all the "no loving way" and/or "where are all of the adults?" moments I think it would be more highly praised.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Please be Terry Silver in season 3.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxZDJR3F4_E/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=qobmywd28opr

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

iamsosmrt posted:

They should throw everyone for a loop and bring Chozen in to team with Johnny. Make him a Japanese car magnate just to troll Daniel a little more. poo poo, to add more drama, have it turn out that Daniel's actually active Facebook friends with Kumiko.

And that Kumiko had a kid by Daniel who shows up and challenges fail son to an Otaku off.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I'm more impressed that this thread didn't somehow fall into the archives.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

SimonCat posted:

It's obvious that Chosen is Miguel's dad.

Miguel doesn't have any where near the aggressive frequency of blinking to be Chosen's son.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So is it that people lost interest or poorly received or what?

And while I do love this drat series, I'm also not entirely sure it can work for a 4th season.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

August 28th on Netflix!! It's coming.

https://twitter.com/CobraKaiSeries/status/1297549161106202626?s=20

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Spacebump posted:

2 is worth watching but not required. 3 is a tougher sell but the villain Terry Silver's scenes are worth watching. It looks like season 3 will be filled with Karate Kid Part II callbacks, just make sure to watch it before that season gets released. The first Karate Kid is the only one I'd consider a classic. The second film is a decent follow up. I will say the third film is much better than the Next Karate Kid. I can't recommend watching that one, it's just too bad.

Man the third movie is hilarious. If you watch it with the same attitude as if you would watch Sidekicks (another fun 90s coming if age karate movie) then it's incredible.

The second movie is good because of the one liners. And also the villain. And also the scenery even though it's not Okinawa at all, which is a shame because Okinawa is beautiful on its own. Hope to see some familiar spots in season 3

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

PeterCat posted:

Karate Kid 2 is one of those rare sequels that is better than the original.

I love me some Karate Kid 2, but I can't agree with this. If nothing else the camera work and the non verbal story telling in the first movie were miles ahead of the second.

There are so many subtle things in the first movie that add to the experience, that the movie never actually out and tells you.

I don't think the first movie ever explicitly states that Miyagi won the Medal of Honor. It just assumes you'll recognize that it's a big deal. But if you know what the medal of honor looks like you are thinking holy poo poo that's a big deal, why arent people freaking out about this?

Similarly when Daniel and his mom are at the lunch or what ever and the Cobra Kai guys see him is a great scene. Like there's two stories being told in that one scene and its brilliant.

The second movie has all the subtlety you'd expect from a mid 80s sequel. Doesn't make it bad, just doesn't give it that extra umph to make it special.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Lemony posted:

I also like how they managed(much like the first film)to be like "Haha, check out this show about dope karate and nostalgia!" Then you start watching and it's all "You fool, you rube, it was secretly a show about relationships between fathers and sons, and generational trauma, the entire time!"

Wasn't the first one kinda secretly about too? Did anyone ever mention Daniel's father in the first movie? I always say Miyagi as Daniel's stand in father when everything went to crap.

The irony is that Daniel does the same to his son.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Rhyno posted:

They HAVE to bring back Mike Barnes or Terry Silver.

Yep. Terry Silver was just too good of a villain. Well maybe not a villain but he was absolutely delightful to watch, and knowing that he's like 6'18" or something obnoxious like that and towering over everyone makes it even better.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The Karate Kid was fundamentally about class and Daniel was definitely not the privileged one.

Otherwise, I agree with every word you said and it was some brilliant stuff.

Yeah definitely. While Daniel is well off now, he was never as rich as Allie and Johnny (remember the spaghetti scene), Daniel's mom was never as poor as Miguel despite them living in the same apartment complex that Daniel had his teen years in.

IIRC Daniel's mom was a computer programmer or some sort of IT professional back in the early 80s. You don't relocate across the country for a minimal wage job.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Spacebump posted:

I tried for a little over two years to get people to watch this. The conversation usually went like this.

Me "hey, if you're looking for something to watch you should watch Cobra Kai. It's a continuation of Karate Kid and is good."
Friend "cool, where do I watch it?"
Me "It's on YouTube's pay service, but you can get a free trial and cancel after watching all the episodes"
Friend "Wait, pay for youtube? Why would anyone do that. I'm just going to watch something else"

Now that it's on netflix it goes like this.

Me "hey, you should watch that Cobra Kai show I told you about. It's on Netflix now"
Friend "Cool, I'll give it a shot"
a few hours later
Friend "Thanks for the recommendation, this show is great"

Not empty quoting but agreeing

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Afaik the drama was that they show writers told her they didn't have a spot for her in the new season.

She is wanted to stay cause she apparently really needed the money as per this:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/6y347c8

I think it's a shame she's not in the series anymore. I figured with her being one of the founding members of the new Cobra Kai, there wouldn't be any problem keeping her around. Guess I was wrong.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Season 4 is gonna be them going after the evil principal with Hilary Swank

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

iamsosmrt posted:

At this point in time, is Elizabeth Shue really higher profile than the Cobra Kai cast?

Doesn't matter she's older than 40, she might as well be dead as far as Hollywood cares.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

But Capoiera also is the reason for a really cool fight scene in The Protector so I'll let it slide.

https://youtu.be/H9AJIEcLVVs

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Nestharken posted:

Just binged both seasons over a week; what a great show. Several friends who also watched it recently all had the exact same opinion of it as I did, which was "this is not my kind of show at all; why do I love it so much?"

You can get KOs in MMA with the crane kick if your name is Lyoto Machida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1A1z72FBm0

Thanks. I now have a new channel to watch. I love this break down of the tactics required to get the flashy knockout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Zedd posted:

Least now I know how I'm going to spend my hangover.

Just do some karate and you can literally have the Johnny Lawrence experience.