Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I wonder if they'll ever fix the choreography. It's hard to take the flippy Power Rangers poo poo seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

pentyne posted:

They had a high school karate fight in the middle of a Santa Barbara mansion with a heel-face turn in the middle of it.

Taking that seriously is like my lowest priority.

They could at least look like they can actually fight. A silly plot doesn't mean it has to look stupid. :colbert:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So a show has to have bad fight choreography if its plot is out there?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Pretty hard I imagine, although it did kinda work I thought - from what I remember of the choreography Kreese came off as this big lumbering bear of a guy, didn't have the slick moves he used to but could still maul you.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I found Miguel's actor clearly having gained like 30 pounds between seasons, and Johnny's resembling a very skinny Donald Trump in certain shots, distracting. Fun season so far though

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also it's still hilarious that Daniel became a used car guy, one of the scumbaggiest professions. But then, he is Italian.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Oh yeah I'm not going "ha ha, look at fatty fatty oink oink, show bad, he fat" - just once I noticed it I couldn't un-notice it, especially since it's supposed to pick up right where last season left off

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

SimonChris posted:

I lost interest in the show somewhere in season 2, but I adore Terry Silver. Can I just jump in at the beginning of season four, or will I be missing important information?

There's a recap of season 3 but it might be a bit confusing if you didn't even finish 2

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think sometimes they overdo the lampshading, it starts to feel like when the MCU goes "HAW HAW, superhero stuff stupid, rite???" every five minutes, but stuff like Terry going "it was the 80s and I was on cocaine, I can't believe I spent like three weeks terrorising a child over a high school karate tournament" was pretty funny. I'm also surprised I ended up liking Tory a lot more than Sam this season.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 1, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Cobra Kai winning

I actually thought this was pretty predictable, going in I felt like if Cobra Kai loses, the story kinda just abruptly ends, and they wouldn't waste their time building up Terry so much to just have Cobra Kai fizzle out. And the blow would be softened by giving Miyagi-do or Eagle Fang one of the trophies, just not making enough points to win the whole thing, so there could be this "technically we didn't lose" thing or whatever. Miguel getting hurt I didn't call (I hated that, thought it was a weak attempt at a swerve, especially when he turned out to just have a pulled muscle; also I felt like Eli deserved a clean win over him, and that would've been a better twist than fakeout injury+Miguel decides to quit) but it was pretty clear which two people would win the trophies, especially once Announcer Guy tipped the hand by announcing "Cobra Kai only needs to win once to be grand champions"

It's a little hard to buy an entire metro area being so obsessed with high school point karate though, especially when MMA exists. Cobra Kai feels more like a dojo that would compete full contact, Kyokushin style, anyway.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That would be understandable, the whole Karate Gang War thing is really getting run into the ground. There were points in this season where I expected people to just start shooting each other.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

some technicality poo poo where the loser just simply starts a new dojo under a different name and brings in a front.

This last one is definitely how I expected it to go, especially because it's not like this was an actual legally binding contract. I figured Johnny and Daniel would just found a new dojo that's basically EF/MD merged, and come right back in the next season with "well we did close our dojos like we agreed."

quote:

Also, regarding that last sentence you posted (bolded), that remains the most hilarious element of this entire show. This huge Southern California High School Karate Industry where the stakes are so high a, bordering on world domination, and the results make the sports page.

I remain very surprised that neither Johnny, nor Daniel, nor any of their students seemed to have any interest in competitive karate outside LA, or professional kickboxing or something. I remember when I first watched season 1 I expected Daniel to have won more accolades than "won two lovely point tournaments in the eighties, became a used car salesman with the rest of his gabagools and gabagals"

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Technically Kreese didn't learn karate at all, it's tang soo do :V

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Does it? Kenny just ended up turning into Hawk, but less of a showman

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I bet Moon has a gun

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Kreese doesn't seem terribly interested in teaching people how to fight. His priority is always breaking people to his will, so he makes his students beat each other up and do grueling stunts instead of really training. His best guys learned to fight from other people.

It's interesting that he seems to have regressed as a teacher. He turned Johnny Lawrence into a legitimately skilled fighter back in the day, but in season 3 he just took shortcuts by recruiting people who were already experienced, talented athletes. Also lol that he thinks a skilled high school wrestler is "an untrained fighter."

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm glad that they brought Stingray back, but only with the caveat that they were upfront about him being a creepy loser.
Were they, though? They put criticisms of the character in the mouth of a nebbish, just as losery Grating Neighbour Type, who hurls endless torrents of abuse at him for both his scenes and then gets the poo poo beaten out of him to raucous applause. And then he becomes instrumental to Kreese's downfall.

Halloween Jack posted:

I know the show's not realistic, but it makes a lot of sense. In 1984, just being aggressive and fighting dirty probably went a long way.

The same teachings let his old students clear out an entire bar of dudes without much trouble in 2019 though, and Johnny was able to use them to make Miguel a champion :V

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There's a deleted season 1 scene with a BJJ dojo

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I didn't know it existed and then i watched it. It's a hilarious scene but I get why, especially in season 1, they didn't want to get too much into BJJ and more modern stuff. Karate is, yes, IRL kind of a joke compared to BJJ competitively speaking but referencing that in a karate show is a bit much.

Karate actually has a respected legacy in both kickboxing and MMA. I don't think anyone has honestly been like "lol krotty useless " since 2006

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
racism

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
They obviously weren't going to make the high school girl a stripper, come on

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Johnny even tells him to take an adult class instead his first appearance, weird that he never considers it

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus I'm turning this poo poo off. I was liking this season so far but you cannot seriously put this poo poo on tv and expect me to be okay with it.

?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The rock being just gibberish fits Daniel's character, where he's a slimy weeaboo who slathers everything he looks at in Orientalism

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Xealot posted:

Also, where MMA and UFC don't exist.

Miguel namedrops UFC in season 1 :V

The rules seem to have changed though, because in the tournaments in Cobra Kai people are kicking, punching, and elbowing each other in the face all day long

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I did like Johnny calling that out. "You got to skip to the finals? Bullshit!"

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
more like cursed brothers

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Daniel is an insufferable prick and I kinda wish he’d get killed off

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Eli should've been allowed to just straight up beat Miguel instead of the injury copout, you could have had the same character moment of Miguel realising he's just being used as a pawn in the Karate Wars etc. anyway

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Just binged the season and my only complaint is that cousin Vanessa says "bruschettA"

Italians are vermin anyway

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, settle down Daniel LaRacist :v:

Cooka da meataballa

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
gabagool

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also I wish they'd write Louie out, the character is an annoying slimeball that drags down every scene he's in

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

they hit all the right bears

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The universal praise for her acting on twitter makes me feel like I'm being gaslit, because yeah, she was Saturday Morning Cartoon levels of cardboard cutout villain and every scene she was in was actively worse for it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I do wish Evil Eyepatch Sensei had had literally any characterisation or even dialogue, Odell and KPop Sensei were kind of cool

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I know they can't just get rid of the character but I am so thoroughly sick of Daniel it isn't funny, it would be nice if he could spend half of S6 offscreen or something

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
While I still largely enjoy the show, I feel like pivoting from the self aware early seasons to full 80s movie stupidity was a misstep. Everything is just completely unironic now and while I hate that "HAW HAW LOOK AT US MOCKING OUR OWN PREMISE" brand of "humour" it is a bit of a jarring contrast. Thinking about it, it might sit better if the show would stop going "actually Daniel's mix of over-aggressive arrogance and cloying Orientalist hippy poo poo is 100% right."

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 17, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I have mixed feelings about the Miguel's father storyline. On the one hand, it felt extremely abrupt and anticlimactic in a sort of "why did they even bother with this" way, but I feel like if Hector had been some season-long antagonist he would have overstayed his welcome, and there's always a chance he comes back in the next season; that seemed like a lot of seeds to plant to just never touch on any of it again. But the fact Miguel was immediately like "gently caress this, dude's bad news, I'm going home" when Hector showed his true colours was good character development, showing how far he's come.

Also I agree with NGC that Stingray has massively overstayed his welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I also wish they wouldn't go so hard on "yep, Daniel was right, even the IDEA of Cobra Kai is pure evil and exists to destroy all that's good in the world." It was more interesting in the early seasons where Johnny's take on CK was doing actual good than in 5 where even he's treating CK like it's the fuckin One Ring