Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I'm sure YT got paid out or something but this is a habit with netflix to buy up a series, and Stamp their Netflix Original on it and everyone forgets it was somewhere else.

Lucifer is a good example, but the move to netflix was such a massive jump in quality and pacing of the show, so much that the first 3 seasons are almost dragging it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I really hope anyone who's interested to give the show a try, by the mid point of season 1 its firing on all cylinders.

All the dialogue around the show when it first aired in 2018 was not only how good it was but it was an outstanding example of how to follow up on a wildly popular decades old franchise/IP.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I am baffled that Sam somehow manages to be the center of a love triangle considering she has the personality of a dead fish and doesn't have any redeeming qualities. It feels like her character's only function is to be dangled in front of the male protagonists like some sort of prize to be won. Other than that, I love the show.

Am I the only one who thought the scene at the end of S1 where all of a sudden she breaks out all these slick karate moves was completely out of place?

She spends the entire season being a bratty teen and we're supposed to believe she's kept up with martial arts training the entire time?

I get the whole train Robbie from scratch to compete in a few weeks, TV magic training etc. but Sam spent literally 0 time showing the slightest interest in anything Miyagi-Do and then she's suddenly a trained fighter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

This is a Cobra Kai invention, but it doesn’t seem like Johnny was rich for that long. His mom married a rich guy, but I don’t think they had money before that.

It's pretty clear in the show all that money came with having a rear end in a top hat stepdad who treated him like poo poo.

There's no way of knowing when it went bad but Johnny ending up as a contractor/handyman probably means he either didn't have any college aspirations or his stepdad kicked him out at 18 and he had to make his way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Netflix already greenlit S4?

They really jump on anything popular with both feet don't they.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
5 min in and episode 1 loving delivers.

Daniel: "I was bullied and karate saved me"

Crowd: "Bullshit! I heard you were the bully!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Episode 5: Holy poo poo the kid playing Daniel's son dropped like 50 lbs and shot up like half a foot or more

This show somehow keeps getting better
this is like some anime training montage, its loving amazing

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 2, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Outstanding season 3. I genuinely can't believe how good they keep managing to be.

This is like a masterclass in managing to bring back a decades old IP and still tell a great story with returning original cast.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Karate Kid Daniel being the real bully wasn't some popular meme thing until a few years ago right?

HIMYM kind of launched it back into pop culture for a bit, and really gave some fresh life to the alternative take to what is a cheesy 80s high school martial arts movie.

Cobra Kai slowly morphing from "serious life after 80s hijinks" to "begun, the ka-ra-te wars have" is either a sign of them just needing to top each previous season or they're trying to follow the actual 80s trend of what starts as a local high school competition escalates to actual life or death stakes.

Parts of S3 seem like something out of an shounen anime. Secret techniques, training montages, betrayals then reverse betrayals etc. It's loving gold.

Amanda slowly going from "you aren't cops, lets be serious" to "WE NEED TO DESTROY COBRA KAI" was great. Obviously literally everything about the kids committing no end of serious assaults would be shut the gently caress down in real life, but Amanda trying to go to the cops AFTER she's already had her dramatic 80s showdown moment and Kreese being one step ahead of her was so goddamn good.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 2, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The mohawk kid has to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

How can you say when watching the same show with the girl playing Sam?

In 2 lines the Larusso son showed more acting ability then she does in most entire episodes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Normy posted:

I love that this show never shies away from a fight. If there's any reason at all to have a fight scene, they'll provide.

I can get behind it 100% if they manage to maintain the insanely weird balance between serious/mature and batshit goofy.

Like a minimum wage jockey sees a bunch of kids steal a ton of poo poo from his job, and the correct course of action is to call his karate gang to jump them in the laser tag arena. (Also, still safer then calling the cops.)

Followed up by Kreese having 0 shame to exploit the system to his advantage or absolutely emotionally manipulate a hostile audience (hello I'm capt john kreese ex green beret and vietnam vet) even if it's a classic "coward" move and treating it like it's back to real deal serious times town.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I wonder what Kreese would even be prosecuted under. That would be a hell of a case.

absolutely nothing.

the case of the missing wrestler in some midwest state it turned out he was rolled up into a wrestling mat and stuffed under the bleachers, and tons of locals readily believed "oh he probably did it to himself" because it was a championship wrestling team and the coach could do no wrong.

violent sport coaches are basically untouchable unless they themselves commit a serious felony on camera.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

I wonder if they'll ever fix the choreography. It's hard to take the flippy Power Rangers poo poo seriously.

They had a high school karate fight in the middle of a Santa Barbara mansion with a heel-face turn in the middle of it.

Taking that seriously is like my lowest priority.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

Is it ever outright stated that Miguel's dad is "bad"? I thought it was just stated that he was engaged in illegal activities, so I'm expecting a subversion of expectations where he's presented as good and cool.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say he helps people cross the border into the USA. He's sacrificing his own relationship with his family in order to reunite other families. Hopefully he beats up some ICE thugs.

It's pretty clear Miguel's mom wanted to get away from him and disagreed with what he was doing.

Also, he doesn't even know he has a son, so there's that too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think this show was perfect in early seasons when they hit the right combination of everyone acting like they do in the 80s movies with the occasional modern person almost breaking the 4th wall to go "what the gently caress are you people doing?"

They're starting to sort of lose that by always going to the well of insane karate hijinks every time and this was definitely the worst between Tory being forced to break her hands, Kreese beating the poo poo out of everyone else in jail(although a really great scene using the younger actor to make up for Martin Kove's age), and the constant back and forth 'power level' stuff like Chozen beats 6 Cobra Kai senseis, then when the international experts show up it takes Chozen and Johnny just to stand against a single one of them. Also, the 6-10 Miyagi-Do students fighting off 3x their number of Cobra Kai was bad even for this show. Everything up to this point was always more of a even numbers feud.

Season 6 needs to be the final chapter of this, hopefully they can spring to film in Japan for some extra impressive scenery. The whole Cobra Kai karate taking over the Valley reached such an insanely dumb level that it's got no where else to really go.

The one thing I felt would help for the water park scene is the lifeguard just rolling up and going "okay, get the gently caress out. Don't care who started it, you all leave" way earlier and sort of brought back the sense that real world rules still existed in some aspect or another for these stupid karate gang wars. Same thing with the Cobra Kai bragging that the other students broke in, so calling the cops just gets them in trouble not Cobra Kai. Like, if someone breaks into your workplace you aren't allowed to then gang up on them and beat the poo poo out of them, and you especially aren't allowed to then block the entrance/exit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kreese really is the worst part of the plot to be dragging around, because his plan is now....be escaped convict karate master?

I'm sure it'll be some magic charges all dropped stuff where he's free to go around doing his thing again but they danced with the possible redemption so much in season 4 it feels completely fake to have Kreese do anything other then low level simmering animosity, not like his puppet master control the whole chess board thing in earlier seasons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I always thought Surf Ninjas was the superior film.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The problem with Stingray is that as a teacher he's getting close to all these students in weird and unprofessional ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kdrudy posted:

Maybe they convinced Swank to make an appearance.

Plus the tournament, who doesn't like a tournament arc?

It's going to be Jaden Smith.