Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I feel like they need to stop using the “about to reconcile, OH NO another misunderstanding!” Over and over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I want to see Johnny go to Okinawa and find Chozen, who has dedicated his life to balance and peace after learning hard lessons from Daniel and his uncle Sato.
Meanwhile Daniel utterly abandons Karate, and submerged himself into work, and becomes a hardass business mogul.

All the while, Kreese is Kreesing the place up. Cobra Kai is back, poo poo’s hosed, yo.

Johnny brings either Kumiko, or the little girl Daniel and Miyagi saved from the bell tower back, and Daniel remembers balance. The two finally sit down and actually loving communicate; this so close, then a misunderstanding, bullshit stops.

Daniel is reminded that when the time came, Miyagi absolutely struck first, and struck hard, and often had no mercy. Johnny has learned that knowing WHEN to strike, and that no mercy doesn’t mean unrestrained violence.

The two find balance in each other. Meanwhile the little girl or Kumiko or whoever is now a world-class spinal surgeon who has pioneered an amazing new technique that is just right for Miguel, and he gets fixed up.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The article says YouTube is getting out of scripted shows. Which is fine. I can't think of a single YouTube Red show I've ever heard of other than Cobra Kai.

It does beg the question though; how many decades before we get a Miyagi-Do spinoff of a bitter, hosed up Robbie teaching karate to government special-forces troops, and Kreese's long-lost grandson comes to snap him out of it?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Nice.

I was watching Ip Man 4 the other day, and I loved the Karate Kid reference.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
There's a few seconds of season 3 footage in this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ye8NYZ0ys

I think it's Chozen!

Sadly, it also says S3 is 2021.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
http://www.ign.com/articles/2020/08...nintendo-switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6KJ3QXuks

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2020

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

XboxPants posted:

I just started season 2 but I still doubt it, Daniel is literally Sato.

Sato Realty, Sato Construction, Sato Bank, Sato Something-That's-Cut-Off-At-The-Top-Of-The-Picture. The guy is diversified and vertically integrated.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

It blew my mind to see some folks complaining about it, but a lot of them don’t realize this show operates on 80’s action movie rules where martial arts are the cause of and solution to all life’s problems.

And then the show utterly subverts those 80s action movie rules.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Banshee and Warrior were amazing. I can't wait for Warrior to come back. Eventually.... I hope.

Warrior S2 started last week, yo.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

:aaaaa: I thought it had gotten canceled!

It’s not getting a third season, I believe. Hopefully they were able to give it an ending.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

waah posted:

But Capoiera also is the reason for a really cool fight scene in The Protector so I'll let it slide.

https://youtu.be/H9AJIEcLVVs

Dance fighting? Time to break out the break dancing!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Early UFC was awesome because it did show what worked and what didn't. My favorite was the boxer that showed up and fought with one boxing glove on.

Didn't it basically come down to 'stamina, and a willingness to actually hurt your opponent?'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Certainly that worked for Tank Abbot.

I was thinking more the Gracies for stamina, and yeah, Tank Abbot for being willing to just loving hit somebody until they stopped moving. I seem to recall one match where they hyped up this giant 400-pound dude, his art was some sort of 'Hawaiian bonebreaking' and Tank just ran up and started punching him in the head. Done.

I think maybe it was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsFRmA4Au8

Really brings to mind that Mike Tyson quote 'everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I understand what they're going for thematically, but the character writing and the plot beats involving the teens are so "I've seen this before". The thing with the daughter's former friend getting a viral video made of her at the school dance feels like it could've been in degrassi in 2008. Plus her friends are such obvious shitheads that I'm siding with the dad as he tries to control her life, which I'm pretty sure is not what the show wants me to feel. I'm probably supposed to side with the bizarrely permissive mom instead who seems to think anything short of immolating a hobo is just normal teen behavior.

That's the whole point. It's an 80s teen drama, juxtaposed with modern sensibilities, as well as a deconstruction of 'what would people who actually were in 80s teen dramas turn out like?'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I guess I wasn't expecting all this soap opera energy in a continuation to a series with very clearly defined good guys and bad guys.

Yes, Daniel always was the bad guy; hitting on Johnny's girl, suckerpunching Johnny, trying to get him in trouble, spraying him with water for no good reason, then winning a tournament with an illegal kick to the face.

I don't think he did anything terribly egregious in KK2. KK3 though, he stole, he lied, he turned to violence to solve his problems.....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Ugh it's like I'm reading a cracked article from 2005.

Or, you know, watching Cobra Kai, where Johnny describes it all as this.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Johnny was always the bad guy, but Daniel wasn't a saint, and he really did go out of his way to antagonize Johnny. Yeah, Johnny had no claim on Ali at the time, yeah, a four-person gang bang was disproportionate to a stupid high school prank.

I loved the scene in S1 where Johnny finds Miguel, in KK1 Skeleton costume, utterly shitkicked, exactly the way he and his boys tried to leave Daniel-san.

Everybody is hurt, everybody is lashing out, and everybody is ultimately trying to solve communication issues with violence, be that violence physical, financial, or just authoritative; Daniel banning Cobra Kai from the tournament, Daniel getting CK's rent jacked, Daniel not listening to his daughter turfing out all her friends, Daniel kicking a drink out of the other dealership owner's hand, Daniel attacking Johnny for giving Sam a place to crash.

And ultimately, I think the show is, at the same time that it examines cycles of violence and patterns of abuse, still tries to put forward the idea that people are ultimately responsible for their own actions. At the same time Johnny is trying to be better, and tries to help Kreese, Daniel is constantly ignoring Miyagi lessons while lamenting that Miyagi isn't around to tell him what to do.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I’m excited.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I'm terrible with faces. Who is that that woman who slaps Kreese?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

PeterCat posted:

It's Daniel's Wife

That's what I thought, but the hair was so different. Threw me off. Fairly sure that was, or at least was supposed to be, Kumiko and Chozen though.

I wonder if, in proper 80s idiom, Amanda will get kidnapped by Kreese, chained up in a warehouse, and maybe that's why Daniel and Johnny were beating up guys in what looked like a car repair garage. Double Dragon style.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Sweet!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
From the article:

Kreese steps in and starts to bring the dojo back to the “No Mercy” glory of the ‘80s. As that happens, the show also explores more of his character through flashbacks to his time in Vietnam, which ends up being some of the most powerful and revealing content in the entire season.

Ah yiss, shoot this poo poo straight into my veins. Gimmie a full-on deconstruction/reconstruction, just like everything else in this show.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Just finished power-binging the new season. Loved it. I thought they were trying to, and succeeded, in recapturing a lot of the feel of S1, where S2 went a little more astray.

Some observations:

You could clearly see scenes where some of the actors, especially Mary Mouser, had clearly aged during the hiatus.

I loved that Daniel and Johnny finally started breaking old patterns. I thought for sure Johnny getting together with Ali was going to gently caress things up with Carmen, but nope. Hell, even him wearing the white jacket then not getting covered in spaghetti; old patterns breaking.

In the same vein, I love that Daniel slowly stopped having flashbacks of Miyagi, and the kids started having flashbacks of Daniel and Johnny's training; Daniel and Johnny are starting to slide into their roles as the wise old teacher.

I feel like the kids becoming straight up murder hobos was a bit out there, but what the hell. I hope a massive Old Boy style brawl becomes a standard end-of-season thing.

I thought for sure that Chozen was going to wind up being an investor in the car company, and would bail Daniel out and I straight-up leo-dicaprio-points-at-tv.jpg when they revealed Yuna as the little girl Daniel saved in KK2.

The actor they picked to play young Kreese was spot on.

I think they had a better music budget, certainly, both licensed and background music. Good production values all around.

Gimmie S4 ASAP. Perfect setup for it.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 1, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Quite honestly, the main issue i have with the writing is with how uneven they are in “the effects of violence on the body and the mind.”

Dmitri gets his arm snapped, and it’s a huge thing, but he just walks it off and has no lasting trauma. Sam has PTSD from her fight with Tori. But the little blond glasses kid gets thrown bodily through a residential window and his response is to be sarcastically annoyed. The other little kid gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of him, and still bikes across LA to tell the gang, and again, is annoyed. Miguel should be right back in hospital after the fight at the end.

Also, Hawk gets forgiven instantly. One face turn and he’s completely forgiven and all is forgotten. I feel like maybe it would have felt more natural if after he snapped the arm, after the others ran, he dropped beside Dmitri and apologized, like Bobby in KK1 after the knee shot. They were building up Hawk’s misgivings about Kreese, sure, but this would have given Dmitri a basis to be better disposed toward him.

Still, all nitpicking. Season rocked (RAWK!)

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 2, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
How could I forget the classic Zabka cheesecake photos? Baby oil: that poo poo gets everywhere.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dick Jones posted:

One question I had about the finale of Season 2 : how the hell did Kreese convince Zakarian to transfer the dojo to him, considering he was bumming around in a shelter not that long ago?

He beat the poo poo out of him and his “cousins.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I have no idea where the series could go after season 4. Assuming Terry and Kreese/Cobra Kai are defeated at the end of season 4, what bad guys would even make sense from the movies to bring back? Would Johnny take back the Cobra Kai name or would the show continue on without a Cobra Kai dojo?

The Bad Boy of Karate hooks up with Robbie!

Terry Silva buys out something, I don’t know, and turns it into a pollution factory, as befits an 80s villain.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Why not? Karate is just Japanese imperialism anyway.

That’s the entire undercurrent of the Ip Man films. Karate and Boxing as foreign imperialism, colonialism and cultural contamination.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Most, a delightful and award-winning slice-of-life short co-written by William Zabka, with English subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_tDVNLrnA

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURu5v3sU2k

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
When does the son that Miyagi fathered onto Auntie in KK2 when they reunited show up?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
She said she had to work late.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Utgardaloki posted:

I think the complaint about Kreese violencing the landlord is about Tori's landlord, not Zakarian.

Honestly the same point applies though - dude's a slumlord, he's not calling the cops. Best case scenario, the LAPD does it's usual thing and vaguely forgets why they're even there mid-followup. Worst case, they injure or kill tenants or bystanders and he still doesn't get paid.

“So anyway, officer, there I was, attempting to extort sex from an underaged girl by threatening to put her terminally ill mother out on the street, and this like 75-year-old dude threatens to beat me up!”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Wenn richtiger gemacht, kann nicht verteidigen

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Wait. He was 23 when they filmed the first Karate Kid? And his character was supposed to be 18? He looks like a skinny 14 year old!

Ralph Macchio was born in 1961. He was 21 years old when he did The Outsiders, playing a 14-year-old, and acting against 16-year-old C. Thomas Howell.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Even better he was 28 when Karate Kid III came out (his character is supposed to be 18)but the actress who plays his love interest was only 16. Which the writers finally realized was a little creepy.

Supposedly it was Ralph himself that pointed this out.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ruddiger posted:

They should cast Mark Dacascos as Miguel’s father

:bisonyes:

Also, work Michael Dudikoff and Cynthia Rothcock in there somehow.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

evobatman posted:

Instead Chozen is just a character who teaches harder karate literally developed to kill.

You might want to rewatch that part. You seem to have come to the opposite conclusion from the literal dialogue.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Coming in December!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8eRMQtjCBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw81uUitQKw

Honestly, we only saw Kreese throw two punches in KK, he wasn't in KK-2, and in 3, he throws a punch, a kick, and a punch. Kove actually does more choreo in Cobra Kai than he ever did in the movies.

But in Cobra Kai, you can also notice that the stuntman for Kove has way darker hair than Kove does. I'm impressed at Zabka doing so well at the on-screen fights, really.