Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Just finished the season yesterday, I agree with it being weaker than the first but still good.

Namely:
I'm disappointed with Tory's arc. I liked that she was self determined and had an agenda with her aggression. I figured she'd be this season's Robbie, going through struggles and redemption, but... She ended up being part of a love triangle just to start the (admittedly cool) fight? Why didn't Hawk do that to Eli?

Also I'm conflicted on Stingray but that's for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Phenotype posted:

I agree about Tory, but I can't really fault them for it too much because that's another stupid 80s movie trope, the "bad girl" who lures the protagonist away from the girl he's meant to be with, and it's always a one-note character.

Yeah, it's a trope I thought they were going to subvert since Then both Miguel and Sam could move on.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

SimonCat posted:

Regarding Sam vs Tory, the series follows through on the Rocky IV formula were the antagonist is bigger, faster, stronger, and is apparently training harder, but loses because they have less "heart" than the good guy.

Yeah, it's a lot of tropes but I feel like it tied it's self to the tropes instead of doing something interesting, which isn't how Season 1 was.

Edit: also Kreese may not actually be a Vateran, there were a lot of hints he was lying not only about his recent military activity, but since we know he's entirely attempting to manipulate Johnny, it's possible that he never actually served with the active forces.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 28, 2019

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

SimonCat posted:

I had the same thought though wouldn't that contradict what Terry Silver said in Karate Kid 3 about Kreese saving his life?

It's been a while since I've seen 3 but wasnt that while he was trying to seduce Daniel into Kobra Kai?

Also the photograph doesn't really mean anything, it's just another second place trophy.

I'm not saying it's text or necessary, only that I assume he's lying.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Spacebump posted:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't lying about his initial time in the military, just any that happened after that. I'm basing this off of when he finally admits he lied, he explains why they wouldn't let him re-enlist.

only we find out he wasn't being genuine in that scene either. He may have enlisted but the text makes it unclear how much Kreese is lying about his past.

iamsosmrt posted:

Has anyone here actually taken karate classes? I've never done it, but I'm just curious how deep the classes and lessons tend to seep into people's lives. I mean it's clearly more important than life itself in Cobra Kai, but even in the original Karate Kid, it felt more like karate was more of a side component of Daniel learning life from Miyagi.

It's like a hobby or sport, you make friends and develop certain postures or ways of moving, but it doesn't "take over".

That said, this depends on the dojo, and dojo rivalries can exist, usually related to drama outside of the art itself (such as the business side.) Some dojos focus more on the form, function or social aspects so it varies, as with any other hobby/sport.

Tournaments are rad though, I wish there was a good dojo around here so I could compete again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, Johnny spending the entire 90's in a drunken state of arrested development is a pretty interesting choice.