Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Can we drop the spoiler tags? You shouldn't be reading this thread if you haven't seen the series.

It is fun how many of the original actors they have gotten back, especially when Johnny reunites with the original Cobra-Kais. I didn't put together how the end of Tommy's story references his famous line at the All Valley.

Johnny's man out of time story is great, what with his smartphone answering machine.

Trapper Keepers are still cool though, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, it's a trope I thought they were going to subvert since Then both Miguel and Sam could move on.

Regarding Sam vs Tory, the series follows through on the Rocky IV formula were the antagonist is bigger, faster, stronger, and is apparently training harder, but loses because they have less "heart" than the good guy.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

So how much money do you think it would take to Elizabeth Shue to show up for an episode in season 3?

I'd love to see the cringe from both Johnny and Daniel when she shows up.

I forget, is she a surgeon now? I'm thinking she's going to be called in to be the one to help with the injuries sustained in the season finale.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of tropes but I feel like it tied it's self to the tropes instead of doing something interesting, which isn't how Season 1 was.

Edit: also Kreese may not actually be a Vateran, there were a lot of hints he was lying not only about his recent military activity, but since we know he's entirely attempting to manipulate Johnny, it's possible that he never actually served with the active forces.

I had the same thought though wouldn't that contradict what Terry Silver said in Karate Kid 3 about Kreese saving his life?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Moriatti posted:

only we find out he wasn't being genuine in that scene either. He may have enlisted but the text makes it unclear how much Kreese is lying about his past.

Do you think this goes into Dmitri pointing out that Kreese's tattoo isn't correct for a SE Asian cobra? I mean, Kreese probably didn't get the tattoo in Vietnam, but who knows at this point?

One of the neat things in the original Karate Kid was contrasting the WWII Vet with the Vietnam Vet and how their experiences shaped them. It's a similar story to what was going on in First Blood, where Teasle was a Korean War Vet who could not relate to Rambo, the Vietnam Vet.

Regarding Daniel and his obsession with Cobra-Kai

His wife does a great job of calling out how obsessed he is with the whole thing. Arguably what happened to Miguel was Daniel's fault. He is purposefully antagonizing Johnny and Cobra-Kai because he can't get over being bullied in high school even though Johnny and Co. had let it go then too. Daniel doesn't know when to quit and it's bit him in the rear end on more than one occasion. Hell, this season even sees Johnny be the bigger man by not throwing the first punch and Daniel breaking into Johnny's home instead of relaxing. It's quite the opposite of what Mr. Miyagi taught and goes into how easily he was seduced by the old Cobra-Kai in Karate Kid part 3.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I will say that Hawk becoming an 80s slasher villain by the season finale was not something I saw coming, but was fantastic. I almost feel like the show would be better if they didn't dump all 10 episode at once though, because I binged through them in one day and now what, have to wait a year for more?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
My favorite subtle detail in this season was Johnny having a Pioneer cassette deck installed in his Challenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
It's obvious that Chosen is Miguel's dad.