Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

precision posted:

I still can't get over how skinny Daniel's son is now

"What, did you switch to Whopper Jr.'s?" was one of the biggest laughs of th season for me. Also the continuously escalating hilarity of a Johnny Lawrence training montage culminating in a bald eagle doing a hawk screech.

I love this show, and don't care how schlocky it is. I think it really finds a good balance of actual emotional moments and tongue in cheek moments. Only complaint for the season was bringing back Stingray. Just not a fan of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That’s a really good post.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

Overall I really enjoyed the season despite some complaints. Superior to season 3, and I'm looking forward to the 5th, and from what I've heard final, season later this year.

Was there an announcement that it was coming out later this year? That's awesome! I was worried we'd have to wait again due to shut downs and wind up seeing all these kids move onto college with actors in their 30's. Didn't work well for Arrested Development.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It seemed like something weird was going on between her and the show, but I’m glad she came back at least for an episode. Maybe she’ll be in it moving forward, but I doubt we’ll ever know what went on.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MiddleOne posted:

I felt like it was a double twist, since they signaled the champagne being poisoned in every genre-way possible. Kinda like a "would we really go there" affair.

Yeah, kinda like the Tori putting on makeup scene. You’re thinking “oh come on, please don’t make her a stripper” and the show swerves right at the end.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Flesnolk posted:

They obviously weren't going to make the high school girl a stripper, come on

I didn’t think there was any way they would, but I couldn’t think of another job that would have a scummy dude telling girls to put on more makeup while a bunch of women get dressed in bright lipstick and sparkley clothes backstage, so it was a real “uhhhhhh” moment for me.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Stingray sucks. He adds nothing to the plot or story. They could have had Terry get rid of Kreese some other way.

My guess is Kreese will have a Darth Vader style heel turn and Silver will go to jail for the assault at the end.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

You mis-spelled "pizza"

Be right back. Gonna go trademark Nakatomi Pizza: Pie Hard, and become a billionaire pizzateer.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
And I would love to have a beer with that guy if he wasn’t trying to hang out with 17 year olds.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Sometimes teenage karate shows just aren’t for everyone, I guess.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Look I know it's been years since the original films came out, and i understand that they feel the need to "do their own thing" but the sheer level of loving disrespect shown by the creators of the franchise to the original movies, and the art of karate itself is absolutely disgusting. When I'm watching a series I don't expect to get jerked around and betrayed in the final stretch because some dipshit director decided they needed to make a loving political statement. There's a time and place for that, and that time and place sure isn't the loving all valley tournament. The last thing I need to be seeing in the last few episodes is loving blue mats

This was a good build up to a good punchline.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Babe Magnet posted:

next season they're going to bust out that Forbidden Technique that daniel was telling his lovely son to stop touching and johnny's going to vaporize terry with a hadouken

The first part is a given, but I think that's a great call that it'll be Johnny that uses it (or learns it and decides not to use it, instead honking the nose of Terry Silver).

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I know this just came out, but I already can’t wait for the next season later this year.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The return of Mike Barnes and he’s just a successful accountant that wants nothing to do with Silver and is in one scene where he laughs Silver out of his office would be great.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Had no idea the dude that played Mike Barnes has been acting in the same soap opera for 22 years!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Golden Bee posted:

It could be the last season isn’t about the tournament.

That’s my guess too. Kinda hoping Chozen and Silver get spun off into a series about hostile business take overs as they try to out position each other. Like Succession, but with karate fights.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

Are we still spoiler tagging ITT?

SPOIL FIRST
SPOIL HARD
NO MERCY

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The ref shrugging when Robbie took his gi off was hilarious.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm still amazed at how all of us across the fanbase spent hours puzzling out how they would justify Silver's behavior in the original series.

Lots of cocaine is such an obvious but unexpected answer, I love it so much. The premise, not cocaine :)

You can make room in your heart for both!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Miguels dad is Mike Barnes

Be right back, gonna go stare at the sky for hours just to make a wish on a shooting star.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

LividLiquid posted:

What's you find?

They'd have to hire Jackie Chan too, and they can't afford him.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
But I never watched The Next Karate Kid and will be lost if they bring her character in. Do…do I have to watch that movie now?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

YoursTruly posted:

Is it ever outright stated that Miguel's dad is "bad"? I thought it was just stated that he was engaged in illegal activities, so I'm expecting a subversion of expectations where he's presented as good and cool.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say he helps people cross the border into the USA. He's sacrificing his own relationship with his family in order to reunite other families. Hopefully he beats up some ICE thugs.

Ooof. While I do think there is a chance his dad won't be a mustache twirling drug dealing cartel enforcer, I really don't think they'll have him beat up ICE or be some sort of Robin Hood of human trafficking. I honestly have no idea how you would even think this show would go in that direction to be honest.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

LividLiquid posted:

Because having one of your Mexican characters be in the cartel or whatever is kind of gross and it'd be cool if they didn't do the gross thing.

But having him be a Coyote isn’t gross? C’mon now, you just want to see border cops get beat up. And to be fair that’s always entertaining, but I don’t think the show is going to go in either of those directions. At worst he’ll just be a thief or something. He might even just be a regular guy who had a crazy early adulthood and doesn’t get why karate is so important to this kid claiming to be his son.

Or it could be Mike Barnes and we all win!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
And then start a rival dojo. Right?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

You can also liken it to, well, an 80's action movie where karate is the source of and resolution to all life's problems.

They should make a movie like that!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This is the final season right?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
She was one of the better actors of the original kids and I think she was in last season for an episode or two. She said they moved away because she was getting into karate fights, which seems like a reasonable writing excuse to have her not on the show much anymore.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Anything that keeps Jackie Chan on film the better. I’ve always liked him and he seems like a pretty swell guy. Also he’s old and can probably still do flips. That’s pretty drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Huh. Oh well, can’t win ‘em all.