Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There is no problem season 2 had that wouldn't have been solved by a moment that almost happened in the last episode.

Daniel and Johnny are in the elevator together in the hospital. They look at one-another. Daniel exits.

I swore up and down this was about to happen, but it didn't. Johnny shouts at Daniel.

"What did we do, Daniel?"

Camera follows Johnny as he walks away from the elevator. Johnny shouts from the background.

"What did we do?!"

The whole series has been about a high school rivalry ruining the lives of two adults who should be over it and that spilling over into the lives of a whole group of high school kids, their offspring included, now culminating in a life-threatening injury. Johnny (or, gently caress it, either one of them) pointing this the gently caress out felt like it was coming and it felt so, so earned.

It would've taken the fun, terrible melodrama and escalated it into actual drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spacebump posted:

I went back and rewatched the Next Karate Kid for the first time in a long time. Don't spend time watching it.
I saw it in theaters as a kid and the only two things I remember are Hillary Swank training to Cranberries and Mr. Miyagi walking in on her when she was getting dressed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It sometimes suffers from "okay, now the plot is really gonna' begin, and then we just recycle old issues the show's already dealt with, but I still love it quite a bit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm so happy you're all here.

I was really worried this show would die before it found a large audience.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Wrong thread.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

That I can believe. People who were picked on usually immediately start picking on others the minute they get the opportunity.
While there is a vitally important element of truth to this I'll speak of momentarily, this is a lie often perpetuated by bullies to justify their bullying. The "you'd do it in my position" stuff is demonstrably false.

What is true is that people who are abused or bullied have a giant blind spot for hurting people in their lives, because in the case of bullying, they view themselves as the victim of bullying, therefore anything they're doing isn't bullying, because they were bullied. Not bullies. Gabe from Penny Arcade had to have a come to Jesus about this at one point where people within the company had to point out that he was bullying people.

In the case of abused people, often in the name of what feels like setting healthy boundaries, keeping people away from their trauma triggers, and altogether protecting themselves from abuse, will do abusive things.

Say a partner or a parent abused you in the past, so every time your partner gets upset by a thing you've done and doesn't moderate their tone exactly perfeclty, it triggers your trauma and you feel like you're about to be abused. So you scream, or you just shut down, or you become emotionally unavailable. A perfectly understandable reaction to your own trauma, but now you're abusing somebody else.

And that's where Daniel is, I think, rendered all the more intense because Johnny was his bully. Everything he does to Johnny is "justified" by the fact that he was a childhood bully. Nevermind the fact that Johnny wanted nothing to do with him and oh, he also lost the original tournament when Daniel illegally kicked him in the loving head.

The series swings for the fences in trying to ask "what if a movie with 1980s morality actually happened, and how would it change the people who were involved in it," and it misses about as often as it hits, but it's loving swinging.

That is so much more interesting than "let's do the same story again because we liked it the first time."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Karate Kid was fundamentally about class and Daniel was definitely not the privileged one.

Otherwise, I agree with every word you said and it was some brilliant stuff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fritzler posted:

This is a Cobra Kai invention, but it doesn’t seem like Johnny was rich for that long. His mom married a rich guy, but I don’t think they had money before that.
The first flick was about the poor kid living in a shithole with an empty pool being taught karate by an immigrant for free while his bully was a popular rich kid with, theoretically, the best karate teacher money could buy.

I loving love that they've reversed their fortunes. It makes for a more interesting and nuanced series while still commenting on class and social status.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chef's kiss over all this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ishamael posted:

Actually a majority of it is filmed in and around Atlanta, weirdly enough.
Because even the ostensibly liberal, union-heavy film industry doesn't want to pay taxes on anything ever, so filming locations are a race to the bottom and Georgia is currently the "you can basically film for free here" state.

Louisiana flirted with it for a minute. Seattle can only support one major production at a time because we make productions pay taxes. California is really only still a filming location because of inertia.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Great day in the morning what a trailer!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like in season 1 they were at least trying to ground the show in reality, but Kreese is so comically evil they might as well give him a long mustache to twirl.
I don't understand how you can live through the last four years and still think a villain like Kreese is in any single way unrealistic.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Honestly I find the show works a lot better if I just imagine it's some sort of alt universe where police are mostly irrelevant and people are expected to solve the majority of their differences
Um...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fair enough.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Medullah posted:

One of my favorite parts of season 3 was the fan service fake out in Kreese's flashbacks.
Not me. I'm sick to death of humanizing villains.

Some people are just evil. I don't need movie #678 about how awesome and tragic a lovely person's reason is for abusing people. It's something that every writer should remove from their toolbox after the last four years.

"What if this person who harms others constantly without remorse is the real victim" isn't just hack bullshit, though. It's dangerous. If you've ever known somebody who was abused by a parent or their spouse, it super doesn't loving matter what their abuser's sympathetic story they tell themselves and others is.

I've had enough people weaponize my empathy against me. I hate it when art I'm trying to enjoy does it too.

Still love the show, but I hated, hated, hated that part of Season 3.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm sure it will. They can probably pump seasons of this show out pretty loving fast if they wanted too. I mean it's like ten 30 minute episodes and half of it is dedicated to them punching and kicking poo poo and / or each other.
Action takes a LOT longer to shoot than people talking.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Zabka should've done DWTS, the demographic watching for the younger influencers would be calling him daddy in no time
What's DWTS?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Dancing With The Stars. The show that Kreese is now on.
Thank you. I struggle with acronyms.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xealot posted:

This show wouldn't, no. Though apparently that does happen pretty often IRL. Turns out many strip clubs are not ethical and don't look too close at falsified employment forms.
A girl at my high school started stripping at 16 by doing exactly this.

One thing people don't think about nearly as much as they should is this whole machine we live in runs on plausible deniability.

Most people just don't want to be held responsible for a thing, so if they covered their rear end, that's all that matters, and a dancer presenting you with real-enough fake poo poo that you can say you made a good faith effort to obey the law is pretty much enough for most to be going on with.

It wouldn't at all be a stretch for a character in a show that takes place in this bizarre universe to fake some documents.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stingray is a great character if you've ever known that specific guy in real life and rightly loving hated him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Stinkray feels very true to life for me and him getting his poo poo absolutely pushed in was tragic but also long coming. He'll break though in season 5 and turn on Silver for sure.
I very much don't want the pedophile 2003-era stripmall Gamestop general manager to have a redemption arc that doesn't include him, y'know, not being that gay anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agreed. That's some fine work.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

When is Dre Parker (Jaden Smith) going to show up?

post Google edit: NEVERMIND, GUESS THAT'S A NEVER.
What's you find?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That movie's title makes no loving sense and I didn't care for the flick besides, so I'm fine with this.

But they should bring in Hilary Swank.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That doesn't really track with the story, though. Why would Daniel turn to a decent person out of desperation? Like, yeah, from a marketing perspective it would make a great teaser, but it wouldn't have made a lick of sense to bring her in that way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One she deserved, Hollywood's obsession with only casting cis people in trans roles and every trans flick being about us being traumatized notwithstanding.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

She didn't win an Oscar.
No, but she was nominated for Leaving Las Vegas and came within spitting distance of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Retrowave Joe posted:

The only thing I remember from that movie is Hilary Swank dancing to the Cranberries and then some monks join her?
She does a sit-down kata to a Cranberries song, if memory serves. At, like, a waterfall?

I remember, because I dragged my mom to that flick because I was so stoked that a girl could be The Karate Kid and that's the only scene that didn't absolutely embarrass me.

And again, if memory serves, by the end of it, even that scene had.

So, maybe I want Swank back so bad to wash the taste out of my mouth. I didn't even re-watch that flick when I watched 1, 2, and 3 in the run-up to Cobra Kai.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm :rolleyes:ing your :rolleyes:.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because having one of your Mexican characters be in the cartel or whatever is kind of gross and it'd be cool if they didn't do the gross thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Noob Saibot posted:

He’s actually Ecuadorian you racist
Yes. That was racist.

His dad's in Mexico and I made assumptions I wish I hadn't.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Nothing hosed up with a Bulk/Cut
Scores of fighters say it's incredibly bad for you, so I'm not sure this is entirely correct.

Weight cutting in particular is devastating to the body.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Darko posted:

Michael Ironside and Walton Goggins as the final villains of course.

I hate that they don't want to crossover with Jackie Chan and Jaden. Having a World Warrior tournament with Jaden as the final boss with Jackie as his coach would be the best ending.
Personally, I'm disappointed we've not revisited Miyagi's only other student from the films. The Next Karate Kid wasn't great, but Julie Pierce at least warrants a mention if you can't get Hilary Swank. Speaking of:

Hollismason posted:

Yeah he's so ridiculously over the top. It's too bad they can't get Hillary Swank to make a appearance.
Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything about them even trying.

On another topic, there's a great throughline of this season about Johnny learning to be a supporting character in his own story. He has to grow up to be a dad, instantly does the beginnings of the work, and he sort of hands the franchise back to Daniel this year for a season. This was way more The Karate Kid sequel show than it was a show about Johnny and Cobra Kai this year, and it's great that they gave Daniel his own season with Silver as his villain before handing the show back to Johnny for the wrap-up with Kreese's return as main antagonist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He was pretty racist this year, which was yikes, and down to the writers more than the character, but aside from that, I still root for the guy because when Johnny points out that he's losing his way after his family left, (and that's from Johnny of all people) he instantly remembers all those movies he starred in where the same thing happened and does a hard left, needing his family at that point to drive home that he needs to keep going.

He's the same hotheaded kid he always was, but that's only his knee-jerk. He was the bullied kid who became the bully to Johnny because he couldn't fathom being anything but the victim, so him actually going "oh, gently caress. Right. I'm doing that thing again" is a lot more character growth than he's getting credit for.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought it could be either or both, but the only important thing was that it seemed like he was full of poo poo in KK3, so the show had to hit the beat of "no, that's a real dude."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The MAGA redditor who clearly had no compunctions about boozing up a bunch of teenagers did not need a redemption arc.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spacebump posted:

Stingray sucks but nothing indicates he is MAGA. You don't need to use MAGA as a synonym for lovely person.
Here I mistook this court of law as a place where I could make pithy remarks about the vibe I get from fictional characters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Bee posted:

MAGA? Nah. Redditor? Abso-loving-lutely.

I will say, him Judasing may have been the most on point decision the showrunners have ever made.
I marked out. Not gonna' lie.

That douchebag and Chris Jericho deserve each other.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Are people who dislike Stingray saying they think he sucks in terms of bringing anything to the story or that his character is an rear end in a top hat?

I like the character and find him one of the more believable portrayals on the show but I don't like him, such as it is. I know a lot of dudes just like him so he rings true for me but that could just be me living in NE Florida and all that goes with it.
He's too much like real-life assholes for me to enjoy his redemption arc, and there's that whole grown-rear end man wants to hang out with teenagers thing, but it's not like I think the character shouldn't exist. I really enjoyed him as an antagonist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Its surprisingly easy to beat up children
It's also surprisingly easy to get beat up by children. They're like movie ninjas that way. Whatever the plot needs, that's how strong they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was bad, the name made no sense and was racist, and Jackie Chan disowned his lesbian daughter, so frankly I'll be thrilled if we all just continue pretending it never happened.