Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

iamsosmrt posted:

Has anyone here actually taken karate classes? I've never done it, but I'm just curious how deep the classes and lessons tend to seep into people's lives. I mean it's clearly more important than life itself in Cobra Kai, but even in the original Karate Kid, it felt more like karate was more of a side component of Daniel learning life from Miyagi.

I'm gonna write too many words here that no one will care about but...

I own a martial arts school and have been teaching/training/fighting/coaching for almost 35 years. I saw the original film when I was 13 and I knew right then that I would devote my life to martial arts. I started in Tae Kwon Do and later turned to Kenpo Karate and then settled on muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kali, and Silat. I'm also lucky that my wife and 3 of my 5 kids train so there's naturally a big interest in my household. We fight each other constantly and it is a blast.
So the lessons I teach (and learn!) do seep into my life even after decades because it's just such a core component to my life. A lot of the professional fighters and coaches that I know are the same way.

The students though, not so much especially today vs when I started and in the 90s. Back in the day when the movie was released there was more mystery around the arts in general and NINJAS were absolutely loving everywhere in popular media and kids really wanted some way to capture that mystique and play superhero. Before the rise of MMA and the UFC, the only place to really do that was in Tae Kwon Do and other similar schools. Those schools often focus on a lot of young kids so naturally there will be a lot of child development going on and those lessons definitely go home with most kids. There wasn't much in the way of muay Thai or jiu-jitsu and most people then had never heard of anything other than Kung Fu, Karate, and Judo. So back then it was pretty easy and common for the ~~~spiritual~~~~ lessons to be taught in the first place and for them to have more of an impact on students.

Today the UFC/MMA has exposed most of the woo-woo mysticism poo poo but a lot is still out there and people do get very invested in it. As I mentioned before age plays a big role but it also depends on the specific art. For example, various styles of Silat have a lot of Islamic tradition and spirituality to them. It's up to the individual whether or not they want to embrace that part of it. I'll teach that stuff if a student is interested but I don't practice it myself.

Schools that I've attended or taught at often did have a rivalry with a crosstown dojo but it was limited to competitive arenas. I have kicked out many students over the years that chose to take the rivalry to school or whatever.

Anyway I'm only halfway through S2 but love it slightly less than S1.

Cobra Kai is the better school. gently caress Miyagi-do!

late edit: also the show is pretty accurate in the respect that are some pretty fuckin crazy and psychopathic instructors out there. The Kreese character is all too real

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Aside from fighting in the ring I was a bouncer off and on for about 15 years both in the US and abroad and have been involved in a lot of real life fights. The fighting stuff I've seen so far in the show is ridiculous and for the most part useless but the film was the same way. It was just a different time and ~Karate~ was really the only thing most people were familiar with. It would be kind of hard to keep the spirit of the film if the show was about MMA instead of Karate, but it would be far more realistic. As you said though, the film was more about learning life lessons than the fighting.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The S2 finale was, to quote Johnny Lawrence, BADASS

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ewww yeah I hope it isn't what you spoilered.

Is there any word on Elisabeth Shue joining the cast ?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It's really cool to see new fans of the show. It deserves the exposure and good reviews because it's just... badass fun

Can we change the thread title to just
Cobra Kai - It's badass

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

SardonicTyrant posted:

Was Wayne any good? I kept seeing ads for it on Youtube and it looked cool.

Wayne is fan-loving-tastic. Watch it!

I'm sooo pissed it didn't get picked up for more seasons.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I had a dude teach Capoeira in my martial arts school for a while years ago. The musical aspect is great and kids loved it but not enough people joined the class so I had to cut it. It's really fun but ineffective.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Tank is a good example of how being from the dojo of Big and Mean can be effective

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Badass!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
did Kove get honked?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've only seen the first 2 episodes and it is still badass. I want to eat sliced ham and drink Coors with Johnny

no be there killed me

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think it's so good despite the cheesy parts because it's clearly a labor of love, and all of the OG cast are having the times of their lives

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Golden Bee posted:

Saved by the bell is just as good of reboot, but replace the karate fights with ludicrous costumes and stunts. And it was multiple TV series.
(“Back when you were in college...”
“Yeah, the college years. Doesn’t everyone call it that?)

It’s anchored by amazing adult actors, amazing child actors, and an urge to deconstruct what exactly the original show was about, and what it felt like. (“Step three of the teen line… Relax with a refreshing taste of crystal Pepsi?”)

I think these two are the best shows of the reboot era.

Hell yeah, and the just aired S2 was even better than S1.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Loved this season. The choreography for the tournament was much better.

Was not expecting that last scene. Badass.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Will Smith cameo!

Zuh? Where and when? I missed that!

e: lol oh, nevermind

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The tournament had better choreography, granted, but how can anyone not love the insane teen karate brawls?

Best line of the series was the two sides lined up, and Dmitri going "oh no, not another rumble..."

:wrong:

Best line was "no be there"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol at Johnny's FBI shirt

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yep, there's a quick shot where you can see their backs lol

Badass.

Can't wait!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm only 3 episodes in but Chozen loving rules

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
no other show makes me vacillate between "this is the silliest, goofiest poo poo" to "this is fuckin badass"

fortunately there's more of the latter, and even with the former it's just good dumb fun

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
for some whiplash, watch Stingray in Cobra Kai then watch him in the recent and good Black Bird on AppleTV

also he's voicing a character in the upcoming Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie which I absolutely cannot wait for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
what makes that even more mind-blowing for me is how long ago I was watching Pat Morita on Happy Days