Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

What does that make the girl that was her niece in Civil War? Am I mistaken in misremembering a possible thing between her and Cap?

He who has not banged both aunt and niece shall cast the first stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SquirrelyPSU posted:

He who has not banged both aunt and niece shall cast the first stone

Yeah but is it Jon and Dany or is it more like Patton and Jean Gordon?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

What does that make the girl that was her niece in Civil War? Am I mistaken in misremembering a possible thing between her and Cap?

There some was light flirting if I remember right, but I don't think they kissed or anything. And wasn't that in Winter Soldier?

And thank you, Mr. Nice for explaining the hammer sound. It's been a long time since I watched the original Iron Man, and I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be.

Overall, I'm really glad how they wrapped up Iron Man and Captain America's stories, but I felt a bit let down by how they handled Black Widow. She gets a mention between Wanda and Clint at the end, but no funeral or any real marker about what she contributed.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

The Valley Stared posted:

There some was light flirting if I remember right, but I don't think they kissed or anything. And wasn't that in Winter Soldier?

And thank you, Mr. Nice for explaining the hammer sound. It's been a long time since I watched the original Iron Man, and I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be.

Overall, I'm really glad how they wrapped up Iron Man and Captain America's stories, but I felt a bit let down by how they handled Black Widow. She gets a mention between Wanda and Clint at the end, but no funeral or any real marker about what she contributed.

They were having her memorial on that tiny dock right after they returned with the stones. It ended up with Clint yelling at someone.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

They were having her memorial on that tiny dock right after they returned with the stones. It ended up with Clint yelling at someone.

I saw the movie last night and completely forgot about that part. You are absolutely right though.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's still weird as poo poo though, right?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
One of my friends hated it. This is the same person who will fight tooth and nail to defend the first Iron Man as being the best Marvel movie, and that it's all been downhill from there.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

My only real complaint was the power levels being all over the loving place.

Stormbreaker overcame all six Infinity Stones and drat near cut Thanos in half, then it can barely make a dent in him at the final showdown?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

My only real complaint was the power levels being all over the loving place.

Stormbreaker overcame all six Infinity Stones and drat near cut Thanos in half, then it can barely make a dent in him at the final showdown?

At that point thanos was extremely weakened by the stones. Every time he used them they hurt him.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

At that point thanos was extremely weakened by the stones. Every time he used them they hurt him.

Plus Thanos had that insane armor and was in full "siege campaign" mode. He wasn't already weakened physically and mentally like he was at the end of IW.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Thor was also not in the same condition as he was in infinity war. I was hoping that Thanos was going to give him the axe during that final fight scene.

Scarlet Witch was great and I like how Captain Marvel took a stone empowered punch to the head. They did a decent job of removing most of the other superheroes around Iron Man, Thanos and the infinity stones.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Also not sure how many other people caught it, but the shield that Steve gave Sam isn't the same one he's used for all of the other movies. The star had a more intricate design, and the middle ring was white not silver. I wonder if they had any upgrades built in.

Also, in Age of Ultron I thought Cap had the fasteners upgraded to elctromagnets, not just leather straps?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Also not sure how many other people caught it, but the shield that Steve gave Sam isn't the same one he's used for all of the other movies. The star had a more intricate design, and the middle ring was white not silver. I wonder if they had any upgrades built in.

Also, in Age of Ultron I thought Cap had the fasteners upgraded to elctromagnets, not just leather straps?

I just figured they rebuilt it after Thanos destroyed it

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
I enjoyed it, wife cried, daughter was pissed that the had a special part where a woman only squad go to kick some rear end and felt it was condescending, she appreciated the widow beating Hawkeye though, son was thrilled about the spiderman return. Good family movie.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Gardenator posted:

Thor was also not in the same condition as he was in infinity war.

Fat MacThor certainly wasn't on par with peak "Not God of Hammers" Thor.

I'm pretty sure SHIELD made more than one...uh...shield over the years. But Black Panther scratched the poo poo out of the one he had in Civil War, so at a minimum they'd have had to resurface it.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

How’d his shield get hosed up in the final battle? I thought it was supposed to be indestructible?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

How’d his shield get hosed up in the final battle? I thought it was supposed to be indestructible?

Thanos' sword hosed it up good. The whole point was to illustrate how powerful Thanos was on a base level, and just how desperate things were for the avengers at that moment.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Saw it last night at the very shabby base theater. Watching it on a smaller screen made me feel like I kinda missed out on some of the film's grandeur. After 11 years and dozens of movies, this felt like a great coda for the whole series. It really can only be described as "epic" in scope and scale, and I'm really glad that I got to see it.

Cap's scene at the end was PERFECT. Absolutely perfect.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

Saw it last night at the very shabby base theater. Watching it on a smaller screen made me feel like I kinda missed out on some of the film's grandeur. After 11 years and dozens of movies, this felt like a great coda for the whole series. It really can only be described as "epic" in scope and scale, and I'm really glad that I got to see it.

Cap's scene at the end was PERFECT. Absolutely perfect.

As Holly boops put it, "Yea it was a great close out to the series. The time travel poo poo goons are bitching about, I really don't loving care. I mean a giant human punched a space worm so whatever"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I broke out of my normal routine and saw this last night, though I read spoilers for the entire plot on like Thursday. Regardless it was a real good movie.

It had a starting time of 9pm yesterday. I got home at 1am. I am tired.

Captain Thor and really the entire bit with Thanos was really good, Josh Brolin did a real good job.

edit: was also expecting a random Hulk rage yell at the diner/selfie scene when he kept insisting.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Saw it last night. Loved it. Goons whining about poo poo be damned, the movie was basically 3 hours of callbacks and fan service and I loved the hell out of it.

Cap got the best ending, and I think the only other scene that made me tear up was Peter going back to school and not seeing anyone he know's when he then looks over and see's Ned. :unsmith:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 29, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Endgame was great. A fine finale for this decade arc

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1122901365422948352

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Holy gently caress

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Hell, same.

A. O. Scott's review in the NY Times had the take that most closely matches my feelings: "The denouement is like the encore at the big concert when all the musicians come out and link arms and sing something like “Will the Circle Be Unbroken.” You didn’t think it would get to you, but it does." It was like a western gunfighter striding out of the saloon doors and throwing back his serape, or hearing your favorite wrestler's walk out music come over the PA in the middle of a grim match, the fact that it was entirely expected doesn't mean you can't get carried away by the hype for a minute.

I liked it. It's a big ole money making machine controlled by an international conglomerate, but it's also effectively the season finale to a TV show I've been watching two hours at a time since 2008. While many elements of the plots of Marvel movies have been predictable or safe or repetitive, it's also had a lot of charming and talented actors delivering witty dialogue and getting in some staggeringly good and well choreographed action sequences. I felt like it did a good job of tying the series off and retiring the first generation of Avengers with grace. (Except for Black Widow, she really got short shrifted vs Tony & Cap.)

Cap v Cap was a highlight, especially future Cap surprising his past self with knowledge that Bucky was alive, then immediately sucker-punching and mind-wiping him.

I didn't feel like the "She has help" scene pandering, or at least, not any more pandering than the rest of the entire loving movie milking everything the series has built to get cheers out of the audience. It felt more like styling on the strength of the IP they've built with a riff on that shot in the first Avengers where the camera pans a circle around Cap, Tony, Hulk, Hawkeye, Widow, and Thor: "We could field a squad of just female superheroes, and it would probably be an extremely watchable movie with good chemistry, and better than anything Zack Snyder has put out in his time at DC." Nobody gives a single poo poo about the demographic that got Extremely Mad about Idris Elba playing Heimdall: T'Challa pulled down 1.3 billion dollars in worldwide box office, so if they want to have the incumbent Iron Man, Captain America, and King of Asgard played by non-white actors, why not. At least they aren't making Cap "actually, a secret Hydra agent and fascist all this time."

Beef:
"Hi, I'm Peter Parker."
"Hi, Peter Parker. You got something for me?"
"Yeah, but I don't know how you're going to get it over there."
"Kid, everyone just stopped and stared while I destroyed a space battleship that was kicking all y'alls asses by flying into it face first. What do you think is going to stop me?"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 30, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I get why they did that as an empowerment thing but it was pretty dumb in context

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I have some female friends who are into Marvel movies, and the only one I've had a minute to talk to about it was incredibly hype about the montage of Carol Danvers getting back up at all ages of her life and then beating asses to the most obvious musical cue possible, even though that didn't land particularly well for me. Feeling represented is important to some people, and who am I, a notionally grown adult man who just wrote almost 500 words about a superhero movie sequel, to judge.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I really did not like the way Brie Larson played the character as insufferably smug.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

I have some female friends who are into Marvel movies, and the only one I've had a minute to talk to about it was incredibly hype about the montage of Carol Danvers getting back up at all ages of her life and then beating asses to the most obvious musical cue possible, even though that didn't land particularly well for me. Feeling represented is important to some people, and who am I, a notionally grown adult man who just wrote almost 500 words about a superhero movie sequel, to judge.

I personally loved that part.

A Bad Poster posted:

I really did not like the way Brie Larson played the character as insufferably smug.

In which movie? In endgame she hadn't filmed captain marvel yet and didn't really know the character. If you mean captain marvel then eh whatever works for you, no worries.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, "wisecracking" is not actually a personality. Hopefully they'll give her some emotional depth, internal conflict, etc in her inevitable sequel.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

In which movie? In endgame she hadn't filmed captain marvel yet and didn't really know the character. If you mean captain marvel then eh whatever works for you, no worries.

Both, yeah. They've made her to be Marvel's version of Superman, and Superman sucks because he's so overpowered. Also suffers from "show, don't tell" issues. Until she singlehandedly blew up Thanos' ship, her acting like hot poo poo wasn't earned at all. And then you have to wonder why, if she's that powerful, is she just acting as an interstellar cop, and why she didn't help out with any of the other galactic level problems that have been going on for years. If she can find Tony and Nebula in the middle of space in a matter of hours, she should have known and been able to do something about Thanos the first time around. It's just bad writing.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

They explained why she was doing that. Because other planets don't have the Avengers to protect them from assholes like the Kree.

And I dunno, I thought her identity crisis in CM was a pretty decent internal conflict. But it's whatever.

Pretty sure lots of other marvel heroes (including avengers) crack wise, as well.

Edit: It feels like I'm getting defensive over a movie character, which is dumb. The character just struck a chord with me to the point I bought the first comic books I've bought in 20 years.

But in reality it doesn't matter. I like what I like, you like what you like. One of the main things I wanted to see in Endgame was Carol Danvers straight wrecking poo poo, and I got that. I wish she'd had a bigger part to play throughout the story, but she's the new kid and the movie wasn't about her.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 30, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's the chief problem with superman-level characters, you see it happen in the DC animated movies all the time; there's a reason that superman is frequently disabled/injured/etc because he sucks all the oxygen out of a good plot when he's fully capable most of the time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think it's totally unmanagable: they've managed to do some good movies that included both the Hulk, whose superpowers are borderline invincibility and the ability to punch through buildings, and Black Widow, whose superpowers are jujitsu and having no compunctions about shooting people.

And I dunno, I thought her identity crisis in CM was a pretty decent internal conflict. But it's whatever.

Pretty sure lots of other marvel heroes (including avengers) crack wise, as well.

Edit: It feels like I'm getting defensive over a movie character, which is dumb. The character just struck a chord with me to the point I bought the first comic books I've bought in 20 years.
Her identity crisis in CM was having a chip on her shoulder about people continually telling her she isn't good enough and a loose cannon, which she resolves by... cutting loose and proving she is in fact he baddest motherfucker in space. It's an external conflict.
Losing the cause you believe in because, "you're a reprogrammed amnesiac and they actually betrayed you from the start" isn't quite the same Steve Rogers' going from truth, justice & the American way to borderline nihilism and distrust of institutions after his future is stripped from him and he's forced to dismantle with his own two hands both of organizations that gave him meaning in an alien future.

Rocket is a wiseass, but they also gave him an emotional friendship with a tree person and neurosis about being a discarded creation to ground the character. Captain Marvel (in the movies) has the bones of a great character, they just need to find her some sort of neurosis like the rest of the Avengers and otherwise flesh her out.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think it's totally unmanagable: they've managed to do some good movies that included both the Hulk, whose superpowers are borderline invincibility and the ability to punch through buildings, and Black Widow, whose superpowers are jujitsu and having no compunctions about shooting people.

Her identity crisis in CM was having a chip on her shoulder about people continually telling her she isn't good enough and a loose cannon, which she resolves by... cutting loose and proving she is in fact he baddest motherfucker in space. It's an external conflict.
Losing the cause you believe in because, "you're a reprogrammed amnesiac and they actually betrayed you from the start" isn't quite the same Steve Rogers' going from truth, justice & the American way to borderline nihilism and distrust of institutions after his future is stripped from him and he's forced to dismantle with his own two hands both of organizations that gave him meaning in an alien future.

Rocket is a wiseass, but they also gave him an emotional friendship with a tree person and neurosis about being a discarded creation to ground the character. Captain Marvel (in the movies) has the bones of a great character, they just need to find her some sort of neurosis like the rest of the Avengers and otherwise flesh her out.

Her identity crisis is literally an identity crisis. She has no memory of who she was and everything she knows suppressed in her memory. That to me is literally a crisis of identity, so no, it's not just that she has a chip on her shoulder.

I'd also point out that Steve Rogers' arc took place over multiple movies, not just his first outing. He remained pretty jingoistic throughout his first film.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 30, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I really liked him dropping a heil hydra in the elevator.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I really liked him dropping a heil hydra in the elevator.

lol that owned

i thought he was gonna go all elevator action with those dudes like he did last time.

also, once again. it’s crazy to me they got in like three bit actors just for that scene. they pulled out all the stops to give the fans what they wanted. so good. so much pandering. it owned.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

I think Vibranium is supposed to be the most resilient material on Earth, not the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I think Vibranium is supposed to be the most resilient material on Earth, not the universe.

ah that totally makes sense

i was just thinking “how’s his shield getting so hosed up? that stuff’s supposed to be the bees knees” the whole time