Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dude McAwesome posted:

lthey pulled out all the stops to give the fans what they wanted. so good. so much pandering. it owned.

This was part of the problem I had with the movie. It was basically nothing but fan service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

This was part of the problem I had with the movie. It was basically nothing but fan service

Not sure what you expected out of a comic book movie 11 years in the making. Schindler's List?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

cap's "hail hydra" was loving great, especially since we were all expecting elevator fight #2

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My girlfriend who doesn't care at all about comics/superheroes, and tapped out of the marvel movies at Ultron (which, fair I guess) loved Captain Marvel because of how much the movie resonated with her as a woman. The villain is a man in a supervisory position constantly belittling her under the guise of mentorship and telling her she'll never be good enough until she stops being such an emotional woman.

Also, speaking of Ultron, my housemate was watching it on TV when I got home from watching Endgame and it was the party scene. I don't know if it was me reading too much into the scene after seeing Endgame, but it kind of looked like after Cap managed to budge Mjolnir he looked more like he was pretending to try to lift it for appearances sake and gave up pretty quickly. Chris Evans definitely didn't look like he was pulling on the prop as hard as the other actors do in the scene.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dude McAwesome posted:

ah that totally makes sense

i was just thinking “how’s his shield getting so hosed up? that stuff’s supposed to be the bees knees” the whole time

I was actually wondering if they'd address it and say Thanos' sword-thing was adamantium. Since you know...Marvel can finally use that.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Maybe his sword was vibranium as well and he just smashed it to fuckin' bits.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Not sure what you expected out of a comic book movie 11 years in the making. Schindler's List?

No, it's the problem where Disney has the capability to do something truly unique and take risks with storytelling but instead they're just going to fall back on the value they can create by changing copyright law at will.

E: they aren't willing to adapt and innovate anymore because they're too afraid of the risks that it poses to their perceived value

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Why would they do that when 90% of their fan base doesn't care about that? They're going to break 1.5 billion in one week.

Also doing unique things isn't exactly what comic book franchises are known for.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Internet Wizard posted:

My girlfriend who doesn't care at all about comics/superheroes, and tapped out of the marvel movies at Ultron (which, fair I guess) loved Captain Marvel because of how much the movie resonated with her as a woman. The villain is a man in a supervisory position constantly belittling her under the guise of mentorship and telling her she'll never be good enough until she stops being such an emotional woman.

Also, speaking of Ultron, my housemate was watching it on TV when I got home from watching Endgame and it was the party scene. I don't know if it was me reading too much into the scene after seeing Endgame, but it kind of looked like after Cap managed to budge Mjolnir he looked more like he was pretending to try to lift it for appearances sake and gave up pretty quickly. Chris Evans definitely didn't look like he was pulling on the prop as hard as the other actors do in the scene.

Yeah I thought that was pretty clear

Thor stares in disbelief and Cap plays it off because that's not his style

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Why would they do that when 90% of their fan base doesn't care about that? They're going to break 1.5 billion in one week.

Also doing unique things isn't exactly what comic book franchises are known for.

That's what I'm saying. Disney is uniquely positioned to be truly revolutionary but they won't because they're worried more about their profit margins than creating something of actual value rather than a rehash of something that they acquired the rights to and will never let loose from their grasp. It's not like people won't see the movie if they hear it was something they didn't expect. If they've already seen the twenty other films in the franchise I doubt they'll hold out on the finale.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
As valid as it is the chastise them for not making a film that matters in any real way, why would you expect them to do anything questionable when they could just make something that's safe and sure to get them a gorillion dollars

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY expects this to be the Piano.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Me, a goon: this sequel crossover movie is horribly derivative and Disney missed out on an opportunity to innovate artistically.

Everybody else, philistines:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I mean I totally get wanting something different and trying something new, but this movie wasn't going to be the movie they did that with.

I think they'll do something along those lines since Logan and Deadpool have shown you can make bank doing so.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Anyone that expected anything but three hours of fan service from Endgame is nuts.

That said, I'm pretty sure at this point Marvel has a blank check to do whatever the gently caress they want because even the "bad" movies pull in half a billion dollars at the box office, so we may start seeing some more adventurous films going forward.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So when they traveled through the quantum realm they didn't enter their own timeline, but rather an alternate one. So how did cap stay back in the alternate past and end up in the present reality?

Also, I thought all the asgardians got killed except thor. Why are there enough alive to build a new city? Further, did Banner's snap bring back everyone Thanos has ever killed or just the snapped away people? If the latter, once again how did all the asgardians come back?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

So when they traveled through the quantum realm they didn't enter their own timeline, but rather an alternate one. So how did cap stay back in the alternate past and end up in the present reality?

Also, I thought all the asgardians got killed except thor. Why are there enough alive to build a new city? Further, did Banner's snap bring back everyone Thanos has ever killed or just the snapped away people? If the latter, once again how did all the asgardians come back?

It's not that easy to see, but at the start of IW you can see the Statesman has been blasted in half and Thsnos only destroys one half.

As for the time travel...
https://youtu.be/x8w95xIdH4o

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's a key point that it only brings back people who were taken by the initial snap, hence Black Widow, Loki, and (original timeline) Gamora still being dead.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Thor turning into the dude was amazing

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It's a key point that it only brings back people who were taken by the initial snap, hence Black Widow, Loki, and (original timeline) Gamora still being dead.

So what happened to alternate timeline Gamora, did Iron Man's snap kill her?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Flikken posted:

No? Hulk did the snap that brought everyone back, and everyone from the alternate timeline was still there. Then again it's not very clear but it looks like alternate Gamora just peaced out because she thought she didn't belong.

I hadn't thought about Tony's snap killing her along with the rest of Thanos' forces.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tilda Swindon explains that they only create forks in the timeline when they remove an infinity stone, and Banner counters that, if they put the stones back in the exact times and places they steal them from, the timeline should never fork. Cap also erases his past self's memory to avoid that paradox. But it still doesn't explain how their current timeline can exist when the Thanos from their past traveled to the present and then got dusted before being returned to his own time.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Tilda Swindon explains that they only create forks in the timeline when they remove an infinity stone, and Banner counters that, if they put the stones back in the exact times and places they steal them from, the timeline should never fork. Cap also erases his past self's memory to avoid that paradox. But it still doesn't explain how their current timeline can exist when the Thanos from their past traveled to the present and then got dusted before being returned to his own time.

Because changing your past doesn't affect your own present according to the discussion they had earlier in the movie (the whole terminator / back to the future argument). Essentially "the current and prime timeline will not change even if you change the past".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Look, it's real simple and I'm only going to explain it once

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Whoever made that was an autist.

They made aut.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
They made it vague for upcoming movie Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

FrozenVent posted:

Me, a goon: this sequel crossover movie is horribly derivative and Disney missed out on an opportunity to innovate artistically.

Everybody else, philistines:

fuuuuuuuuuuuckin hell

is this gonna be the highest grossing film of all time?

which site is that screenshot from?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's boxofficemojo, which is the site everyone references including people in the film industry. Endgame doubled Infinity War's record-holding opening. It's going to take in ALL THE MONEY.

Flikken posted:

I doubt it, but that's been a topic of discussion. She's either dusted or she bailed right away. I suspect she took off, and that'll be the plot of the next (As)Guardians movie.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

i remember there was a bit where her and the blue sister were looking at Chris Pratt and she was like “how did i like this doofus? he’s an idiot” and then the subtext was that she’d taken off

then Pratt’s googling her on his ship when Thor rocks in to join the GotG

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

i remember there was a bit where her and the blue sister were looking at Chris Pratt and she was like “how did i like this doofus? he’s an idiot” and then the subtext was that she’d taken off

then Pratt’s googling her on his ship when Thor rocks in to join the GotG

That's kinda what I gathered, too.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
My biggest complaint was that old Captain America looked like Joe Biden. I would have preferred it if they gave him Stan Lee's face so that every cameo in the previous movies was Steve watching over the timeline to make sure it went right.

Also my fanfic theory about the next Thor/Guardians of the Galaxy movie: Gamora died fighting Thanos and Natasha died fighting Clint for the soul stone to save the universe. What more worthy cause is there for two warriors to die for, and grant them entry into Valhalla? Go beyond the limits of the universe and bring them back (along with Thor's friends that got killed in Ragnarok, because why not). We can even get a scene of dead Loki arguing with a bouncer that he should be allowed inside.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
GotG 3 is almost assuredly going to feature Quill going after Gamora, spending half the movie trying to win her over (again) ending with a fight against whomever is the big bad for the movie and she discovers that ~love can bloom on the battlefield~

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Quill makes her a mix tape, but she thinks all earth music is trash.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just got back from it.

It was a good movie :)

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just got back from it.

It was a good movie :)

what was your fave bit?

I’ve been thinking and for me I think it was when Captain America looks like he’s gonna take on Thanos’ army all by himself and Sam says “on your right” and flies past. That was so rad

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dude McAwesome posted:

what was your fave bit?

I’ve been thinking and for me I think it was when Captain America looks like he’s gonna take on Thanos’ army all by himself and Sam says “on your right” and flies past. That was so rad

I was so excited I didn't hear the "on your left" part and when I found out about it after it was a real "oh gently caress, that is like ten times cooler"

Probably when Cap finally wields Mjolnir. I saw it coming from a mile away but it owned so loving hard when they cut to him grabbing it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

“Avengers... assemble.”

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Probably when Cap finally wields Mjolnir. I saw it coming from a mile away but it owned so loving hard when they cut to him grabbing it.

yeah that loving kicked so much rear end

FrozenVent posted:

“Avengers... assemble.”

which part was that? there was so much stuff in it that I can’t keep it all straight

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Finally saw this

Talk about deus ex Marvel lol. Think we all knew Stark was going to die—didn’t he say he was done being Iron Man after this? Blackwidow was insignificant enough for a big “meh” at her death.

Still need to see Captain Marvel. I feel like she was slotted for more screen time, but the backlash of her movie maybe changed that? Or maybe it was received well and only turbo nerds didn’t like it online. Kinda silly for her to just disappear the whole movie but hey. Judging by her brief screen time, cannot imagine I’d like her role as Captain Marvel in the movie but who knows. #rbf

Had to look up who that kid was at the funeral (the kid from Iron Man 3 I guess, passing the torch I suppose)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Captain Marvel was shot before Endgame and it was very successful at the box office, sexist nerds notwithstanding.

I agree that it was a bit cheap how she just showed up to save the day and disappeared, but it seems she would suffer from the Superman problem - no weakness, sucks the drama out of any story she’s in.