Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Hell, same.

A. O. Scott's review in the NY Times had the take that most closely matches my feelings: "The denouement is like the encore at the big concert when all the musicians come out and link arms and sing something like “Will the Circle Be Unbroken.” You didn’t think it would get to you, but it does." It was like a western gunfighter striding out of the saloon doors and throwing back his serape, or hearing your favorite wrestler's walk out music come over the PA in the middle of a grim match, the fact that it was entirely expected doesn't mean you can't get carried away by the hype for a minute.

I liked it. It's a big ole money making machine controlled by an international conglomerate, but it's also effectively the season finale to a TV show I've been watching two hours at a time since 2008. While many elements of the plots of Marvel movies have been predictable or safe or repetitive, it's also had a lot of charming and talented actors delivering witty dialogue and getting in some staggeringly good and well choreographed action sequences. I felt like it did a good job of tying the series off and retiring the first generation of Avengers with grace. (Except for Black Widow, she really got short shrifted vs Tony & Cap.)

Cap v Cap was a highlight, especially future Cap surprising his past self with knowledge that Bucky was alive, then immediately sucker-punching and mind-wiping him.

I didn't feel like the "She has help" scene pandering, or at least, not any more pandering than the rest of the entire loving movie milking everything the series has built to get cheers out of the audience. It felt more like styling on the strength of the IP they've built with a riff on that shot in the first Avengers where the camera pans a circle around Cap, Tony, Hulk, Hawkeye, Widow, and Thor: "We could field a squad of just female superheroes, and it would probably be an extremely watchable movie with good chemistry, and better than anything Zack Snyder has put out in his time at DC." Nobody gives a single poo poo about the demographic that got Extremely Mad about Idris Elba playing Heimdall: T'Challa pulled down 1.3 billion dollars in worldwide box office, so if they want to have the incumbent Iron Man, Captain America, and King of Asgard played by non-white actors, why not. At least they aren't making Cap "actually, a secret Hydra agent and fascist all this time."

Beef:
"Hi, I'm Peter Parker."
"Hi, Peter Parker. You got something for me?"
"Yeah, but I don't know how you're going to get it over there."
"Kid, everyone just stopped and stared while I destroyed a space battleship that was kicking all y'alls asses by flying into it face first. What do you think is going to stop me?"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I have some female friends who are into Marvel movies, and the only one I've had a minute to talk to about it was incredibly hype about the montage of Carol Danvers getting back up at all ages of her life and then beating asses to the most obvious musical cue possible, even though that didn't land particularly well for me. Feeling represented is important to some people, and who am I, a notionally grown adult man who just wrote almost 500 words about a superhero movie sequel, to judge.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, "wisecracking" is not actually a personality. Hopefully they'll give her some emotional depth, internal conflict, etc in her inevitable sequel.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think it's totally unmanagable: they've managed to do some good movies that included both the Hulk, whose superpowers are borderline invincibility and the ability to punch through buildings, and Black Widow, whose superpowers are jujitsu and having no compunctions about shooting people.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

And I dunno, I thought her identity crisis in CM was a pretty decent internal conflict. But it's whatever.

Pretty sure lots of other marvel heroes (including avengers) crack wise, as well.

Edit: It feels like I'm getting defensive over a movie character, which is dumb. The character just struck a chord with me to the point I bought the first comic books I've bought in 20 years.
Her identity crisis in CM was having a chip on her shoulder about people continually telling her she isn't good enough and a loose cannon, which she resolves by... cutting loose and proving she is in fact he baddest motherfucker in space. It's an external conflict.
Losing the cause you believe in because, "you're a reprogrammed amnesiac and they actually betrayed you from the start" isn't quite the same Steve Rogers' going from truth, justice & the American way to borderline nihilism and distrust of institutions after his future is stripped from him and he's forced to dismantle with his own two hands both of organizations that gave him meaning in an alien future.

Rocket is a wiseass, but they also gave him an emotional friendship with a tree person and neurosis about being a discarded creation to ground the character. Captain Marvel (in the movies) has the bones of a great character, they just need to find her some sort of neurosis like the rest of the Avengers and otherwise flesh her out.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

So when they traveled through the quantum realm they didn't enter their own timeline, but rather an alternate one. So how did cap stay back in the alternate past and end up in the present reality?
Tilda Swindon explains that they only create forks in the timeline when they remove an infinity stone, and Banner counters that, if they put the stones back in the exact times and places they steal them from, the timeline should never fork. Cap also erases his past self's memory to avoid that paradox. But it still doesn't explain how their current timeline can exist when the Thanos from their past traveled to the present and then got dusted before being returned to his own time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Quill makes her a mix tape, but she thinks all earth music is trash.