Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

It's still a spoiler if I didn't believe you, because you didn't know I wouldn't believe you when you told me. Dick.

That said, holy gently caress what a good flick. I'm glad Thanos didn't say poo poo after the snap. Just sat down in disbelief and vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Godholio posted:

Hulk dutifully trying to smash things was pretty loving great. NGL though, Cap and Mjolnir was the peak for me.

Hulk half-heartedly smashing things out of obligation and "roaring" was a godamn riot.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I normally don't care for the big "boss battle" ending fight because it's always just faceless minions dying and fake tension. With this one I was legit unsure as to who would end up dying so it felt like every battle had actual weight.

I also seriously enjoyed the whole "cap isn't alone, all the heroes who had originally died are here to fight too" scene. Eleven years of films built up to that battle and they played it really well. The whole place was cheering for that and the Cap + Mjolnir scene. I know I laughed at Thor's "I KNEW IT!"

Edit: also, I was watching the first Cap movie right before going to see Endgame, and as soon as I saw 1970 Peggy Carter I knew what his ending would be. I was super happy they finally got their dance. :unsmith:

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 28, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

I'm also curious about this because aside from villain characters, the only major actor missing is Clark Gregg (Coulson) probably due to scheduling conflicts.

Absolutely since he was in Captain Marvel less than 2 months ago. I mean the only other person I can think of is Edward Norton and no one liked that Hulk movie as far as I can tell.

Edit: also since Don Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard I don't think he's an issue

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 28, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

The Valley Stared posted:

There some was light flirting if I remember right, but I don't think they kissed or anything. And wasn't that in Winter Soldier?

And thank you, Mr. Nice for explaining the hammer sound. It's been a long time since I watched the original Iron Man, and I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be.

Overall, I'm really glad how they wrapped up Iron Man and Captain America's stories, but I felt a bit let down by how they handled Black Widow. She gets a mention between Wanda and Clint at the end, but no funeral or any real marker about what she contributed.

They were having her memorial on that tiny dock right after they returned with the stones. It ended up with Clint yelling at someone.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

At that point thanos was extremely weakened by the stones. Every time he used them they hurt him.

Plus Thanos had that insane armor and was in full "siege campaign" mode. He wasn't already weakened physically and mentally like he was at the end of IW.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Also not sure how many other people caught it, but the shield that Steve gave Sam isn't the same one he's used for all of the other movies. The star had a more intricate design, and the middle ring was white not silver. I wonder if they had any upgrades built in.

Also, in Age of Ultron I thought Cap had the fasteners upgraded to elctromagnets, not just leather straps?

I just figured they rebuilt it after Thanos destroyed it

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

How’d his shield get hosed up in the final battle? I thought it was supposed to be indestructible?

Thanos' sword hosed it up good. The whole point was to illustrate how powerful Thanos was on a base level, and just how desperate things were for the avengers at that moment.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

Saw it last night at the very shabby base theater. Watching it on a smaller screen made me feel like I kinda missed out on some of the film's grandeur. After 11 years and dozens of movies, this felt like a great coda for the whole series. It really can only be described as "epic" in scope and scale, and I'm really glad that I got to see it.

Cap's scene at the end was PERFECT. Absolutely perfect.

As Holly boops put it, "Yea it was a great close out to the series. The time travel poo poo goons are bitching about, I really don't loving care. I mean a giant human punched a space worm so whatever"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Holy gently caress

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I get why they did that as an empowerment thing but it was pretty dumb in context

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

I have some female friends who are into Marvel movies, and the only one I've had a minute to talk to about it was incredibly hype about the montage of Carol Danvers getting back up at all ages of her life and then beating asses to the most obvious musical cue possible, even though that didn't land particularly well for me. Feeling represented is important to some people, and who am I, a notionally grown adult man who just wrote almost 500 words about a superhero movie sequel, to judge.

I personally loved that part.

A Bad Poster posted:

I really did not like the way Brie Larson played the character as insufferably smug.

In which movie? In endgame she hadn't filmed captain marvel yet and didn't really know the character. If you mean captain marvel then eh whatever works for you, no worries.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

They explained why she was doing that. Because other planets don't have the Avengers to protect them from assholes like the Kree.

And I dunno, I thought her identity crisis in CM was a pretty decent internal conflict. But it's whatever.

Pretty sure lots of other marvel heroes (including avengers) crack wise, as well.

Edit: It feels like I'm getting defensive over a movie character, which is dumb. The character just struck a chord with me to the point I bought the first comic books I've bought in 20 years.

But in reality it doesn't matter. I like what I like, you like what you like. One of the main things I wanted to see in Endgame was Carol Danvers straight wrecking poo poo, and I got that. I wish she'd had a bigger part to play throughout the story, but she's the new kid and the movie wasn't about her.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 30, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think it's totally unmanagable: they've managed to do some good movies that included both the Hulk, whose superpowers are borderline invincibility and the ability to punch through buildings, and Black Widow, whose superpowers are jujitsu and having no compunctions about shooting people.

Her identity crisis in CM was having a chip on her shoulder about people continually telling her she isn't good enough and a loose cannon, which she resolves by... cutting loose and proving she is in fact he baddest motherfucker in space. It's an external conflict.
Losing the cause you believe in because, "you're a reprogrammed amnesiac and they actually betrayed you from the start" isn't quite the same Steve Rogers' going from truth, justice & the American way to borderline nihilism and distrust of institutions after his future is stripped from him and he's forced to dismantle with his own two hands both of organizations that gave him meaning in an alien future.

Rocket is a wiseass, but they also gave him an emotional friendship with a tree person and neurosis about being a discarded creation to ground the character. Captain Marvel (in the movies) has the bones of a great character, they just need to find her some sort of neurosis like the rest of the Avengers and otherwise flesh her out.

Her identity crisis is literally an identity crisis. She has no memory of who she was and everything she knows suppressed in her memory. That to me is literally a crisis of identity, so no, it's not just that she has a chip on her shoulder.

I'd also point out that Steve Rogers' arc took place over multiple movies, not just his first outing. He remained pretty jingoistic throughout his first film.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 30, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

This was part of the problem I had with the movie. It was basically nothing but fan service

Not sure what you expected out of a comic book movie 11 years in the making. Schindler's List?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY expects this to be the Piano.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

So when they traveled through the quantum realm they didn't enter their own timeline, but rather an alternate one. So how did cap stay back in the alternate past and end up in the present reality?

Also, I thought all the asgardians got killed except thor. Why are there enough alive to build a new city? Further, did Banner's snap bring back everyone Thanos has ever killed or just the snapped away people? If the latter, once again how did all the asgardians come back?

It's a key point that it only brings back people who were taken by the initial snap, hence Black Widow, Loki, and (original timeline) Gamora still being dead.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Flikken posted:

So what happened to alternate timeline Gamora, did Iron Man's snap kill her?

No? Hulk did the snap that brought everyone back, and everyone from the alternate timeline was still there. Then again it's not very clear but it looks like alternate Gamora just peaced out because she thought she didn't belong.

I hadn't thought about Tony's snap killing her along with the rest of Thanos' forces.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Tilda Swindon explains that they only create forks in the timeline when they remove an infinity stone, and Banner counters that, if they put the stones back in the exact times and places they steal them from, the timeline should never fork. Cap also erases his past self's memory to avoid that paradox. But it still doesn't explain how their current timeline can exist when the Thanos from their past traveled to the present and then got dusted before being returned to his own time.

Because changing your past doesn't affect your own present according to the discussion they had earlier in the movie (the whole terminator / back to the future argument). Essentially "the current and prime timeline will not change even if you change the past".

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Whoever made that was an autist.

They made aut.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

i remember there was a bit where her and the blue sister were looking at Chris Pratt and she was like “how did i like this doofus? he’s an idiot” and then the subtext was that she’d taken off

then Pratt’s googling her on his ship when Thor rocks in to join the GotG

That's kinda what I gathered, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Captain Marvel was shot before Endgame and it was very successful at the box office, sexist nerds notwithstanding.

I agree that it was a bit cheap how she just showed up to save the day and disappeared, but it seems she would suffer from the Superman problem - no weakness, sucks the drama out of any story she’s in.

Other way around. Endgame was shot before captain marvel.