Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

My favorites were The Vanishing, Rob Zombie's Halloween II, and Popcorn. I liked the majority of Trouble Every Day, except Vincent Gallo.

Rob Zombie's Halloween movies are so odd. I really can't say that I like them, because the scripts are terrible beyond words. But I have to respect them for being so loving bonkers, and I'll give Zombie points for coming up with some really creative and thought-provoking imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I liked making up a tiered ranking list last October, helped me conceptualize how my reactions settled over the course of a month. A few of them are already in much different places than where I'd have put them immediately after watching.

It's great!
Final Destination 2, Personal Shopper, The Blackcoat's Daughter

It's good!
Final Destination 5, They Look Like People

It's fine!
Final Destination, Final Destination 3, Happy Death Day

It's average!
Life After Beth, They're Watching, V/H/S, Thriller

It's meh!
Haunting on Fraternity Row, A Dark Song

It's bad!
Don't Blink, Hell Night, The Doll

It's terrible!
The Final Destination (4), V/H/S 2, The Bay

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Franchescanado posted:

My favorites were The Vanishing, Rob Zombie's Halloween II, and Popcorn. I liked the majority of Trouble Every Day, except Vincent Gallo.

What's up, The Vanishing buddy? :hfive: Definitely my favourite discovery as well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

18 months ago I had never seen a single Friday the 13th film. October 13th, 2017 was a Friday so I said “Why the gently caress not?” and here we are. Took me a little longer than I expected, can’t say I’m a fan. But I can finally do that thing everyone in this forum loves doing and I’ve never been able to do.

1. The Original?
2. VI: Jason Lives
3. IV: Final Chapter
4. Friday ’09
5. Jason X
6. Part 2
7. Part III
8. Freddy vs. Jason
9. V: A New Beginning
10. VII: New Blood
11. Jason Goes to Hell
12. VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

I mostly agree with this ranking, but I'd make a few changes. Goes to Hell is absolutely unworthy of any redemption and there's no reason anyone should watch it, ever. Takes Manhattan is weird, especially because of its misleading title, but I think it should be mid-tier.

I do agree with your opinions about '09. It gets so much wrong but it's kind of a Greatest Hits version of a Jason movie.

I'd put New Blood at the bottom with Goes to Hell, and I think Jason Lives is probably the best of the series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just couldn't put Jason Goes to Hell at the bottom because I laughed so hard at the FBI sting opening. That might be one of my favorite moments of the franchise so it had to get the nod over Manhattan which I could only really remember the silly toxic wasteland of John Carpenter's post apocalyptic NYC from. Even if the rest of the movie was so terrible.

Yeah, as I said I didn't really like '09 but as some kind of capper homage to the series it kind of worked for me. It ended up being this weird series reflection that kind of directly tried to fix my criticisms with the franchise. It failed but it got me thinking a lot about the series in hindsight and I think that ended up inflating the original in my mind.

Jason Lives was probably the most fun I had watching one and should probably be my #1 but l just ended up not feeling comfortable putting the spoofs and reboots above the original. But I haven't seen that in 18 months so its more of an idea than a memory to me and when I looked back at my review at the time I said I was unimpressed with the lack of depth of that premise. So I don't know if the Original would be in that slot if I had watched it this May.

Given some time I imagine Jason Lives might be my #1 and the OG might drop down to the middle.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 2, 2019

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I finished my 13, but life got in the way so I fell off of reporting. Here's some quick and dirty details for my final four of the month.

14. Pet Sematary
A new family moves into town, so it's up to friendly neighbor Jud Crandall to entice them into using a haunted pet cemetary.
Probably the iconic 'creepy neighbor next door'. Never listen to a Munster.

This was a rewatch, but it's been a while and I still found it pretty enjoyable. I feel like the cat coming back with glowing eyes and considerably evil might put you off any further experimentations, but what do I know.
4/5

15. Pet Sematary II
Same town, some years later, a kid moves back to live with his father after his mother's shocking (heh) and unexpected death. His only friend tells him about the pet cemetary.

drat Clancy Brown plays a great rear end in a top hat. Could've done without the domestic violence, though. I felt like in this movie the Sematary seems to replace you with your mirror universe counterpart, rather than the pure evil of the first. It's fun and dumb, and a good watch.
4/5

16. Pet Sematary remake
Different creepy neighbor, same basic story. It is beat for beat the original movie until it diverges, and for the most part I liked the way they changed things up. The special effects were awful. Like, the original had the cemetary at the end of the path in a forest, and this one decides that a forest isn't spooky enough (it is!) so there has to be plenty of fog and cobwebs. Plus, the ending was real dumb.
3/5

17. Butterfly Kisses
A documentary about a documentary about a evil spirit who haunts you.

I like the layered premise, and I was entertained, but overall I was disappointed by it. I think I would have enjoyed it more if the spirit had been more interesting, but the combination of "impossibly hard to summon" and "not particularly scary" worked against it.
3.5/5

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Possum (2018)

A disgraced puppeteer returns to his derelict childhood home and tries repeatedly to destroy the spiderlike puppet called Possum but it always seems to come back.

I was expecting something a lot more comedic from this film since it's directed by Martin Holness who created Garth Marenghi's Darkplace which is the greatest television show of all time and hilarious in every way. What I got was a relentlessly bleak and depressing film about a broken man dealing with childhood trauma and his own imperfections by struggling with a spooky spider puppet.

In that way it reminds me a lot of The Babadook in that it uses the titular monster a sort of metaphor for grief and depression as something you can never truly get rid of but you can learn to live with.

I'm still processing the film and I feel like I need to watch it again but it has quite a lot of very strong and evocative imagery and some fantastic imagery that's really builds up the constantly building sense of dread.

sidenote:
The main character reminds me a lot of a middle aged version of Ian Curtis from Joy Division, not just how he looks and dresses but the way he carries himself is very similar to Ian's eccentric and erratic stage performance which was heavily influenced by his struggle with epilepsy.

C.H.U.D. II: Bud the CHUD (1989) [rewatch]
A pair of high school students accidentally resurrect Bud, a zombie who is the last remnant of a secret military experiment called the CHUD Project which aimed to create undead supersoldiers. Hijinks, and mass death, ensue.

This is the only rewatch on my list. I've seen this movie at least a couple dozen times. When I was a kid me and my brother would usually spend New Years, Easter, and parts of each summer with my dad who lived in the Westman Islands, a small town on a small volcanic island a few hours sailing from the mainland of Iceland. He didn't have a lot of movies but during one visit we found a VHS of C.H.U.D. 2. We watched it, loved it, and every time we we're bored or if there was a slow and rainy day (which is a lot of days in Iceland) we'd put it on. This went on for years. I haven't seen it since I was a kid so this rewatch was a bit surreal, I did buy it on tape a couple of years ago and gave it to my brother for Christmas hoping we could do a rewatch but he doesn't have a player and mine was broken so we never gotten around to it.

Watching this again was a bit of a surreal experience. Despite not having seen the film for drat near 20 years some of the images and scenes are burned into my brain and I could recall them perfectly. This might just be the massive nostalgia but I still feel this is a pretty solid little horror-comedy even if it's really stupid but I laughed, or at least chuckled, several times. Gerrit Graham (Beef from Phantom of the Paradise) REALLY hams it up as Bud and seems to be having the time of his life shambling around and getting into wacky slapstick hijinks while mugging at the camera.

I should mention that this movie has literally nothing to do with the original C.H.U.D. Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers, a film about toxic waste turning the homeless of New York into glowy eyed sewer goblins. Aside from a throwaway line about the C.H.U.D. test subjects having been kept underground near the beginning these new C.H.U.D.s are just your standard zombies and spend almost all their time above ground. I've heard that this was originally written as a sequel to Return of the Living Dead which makes a lot more sense both in regards to the actual story and the tone of the film. The zombies behave pretty similarly to the ones in Return in that they talk and eat brains (contrary to popular belief braineating is actually very rare in zombie cinema and mostly just confined to Return of the Living Dead and a handful of imitators) except the zombies say "meat!" instead of "brains!" and like the ones from Return just decapitating them only slows them down a little bit.

The original, despite the silly premise, takes itself completely seriously while C.H.U.D. II has its putrid tongue firmly in what is left of its rotting cheek and is just as much of a comedy as it is a horror film.

it also features this fantastic song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84QuDS4Rxr4

Full challenge:

For some reason IMGUR is refusing to work with me but just imagine both the above entries have three (3) stills from both films.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
While I sadly couldn't make myself do it for most of the challenge, I always appreciate gifs/screenshots from the movies folks watched.