Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

One of my closest friends sent me this out of the blue a week ago. A few of these movies I've never seen, so for May I will commit to watching and writing up all eight of these:

(I don't want to commit myself to anything beyond this, simply because my headaches and vision are really bad some days, requiring me to minimize screen time. gently caress cancer, but especially brain cancer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's kind of hilarious, because Carrey was awful in Man on the Moon. He basically played Kaufman as a simpering nincompoop, as opposed to the weird puppet master that he was.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1) Friday the 13th

Honestly, this is a lot better than I remembered. It's oddly ugly (almost no contrast, everything is either dark as hell or brighter than sunlight), but that might be a product of the film stock on which it was shot. Some of the kills are pretty brutal, too, especially when Kevin Bacon bites it. I can see why it's seminal horror because it establishes so many staples of the genre that Scream takes the piss out of.

All in all, an unexpectedly good movie. I'll do 2 tomorrow.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13: Part 2

This is just ... unpleasant in many ways. Jason isn't fully established, and as a result it feels like a remake of the original. It's not an awful movie, though; that category will wait until Jason Takes Manhattan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'll watch and write up Friday the 13th, Part III, tomorrow, which will put me almost halfway through my commitment of getting through the 8-movie Blu-ray set.

I'll add Freddy vs. Jason as a bonus since I know it's streaming. I just have to take time because gently caress me, too much time looking at a screen, be it my laptop or my phone or my TV, sends me spiraling into hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13th, Part III

This is not in any way a good movie. Steve Miner is a terrible director (the shot when Rick gets thrown through the window couldn't be more telegraphed if you tried), the script is abysmal and most of it is ugly, photography-wise.

It's also incredibly weirdly paced. It opens with a pair of kills, then we go to a bunch of teens in a van, it gets grisly pretty quick, then it's dead-silent until the final half-hour of carnage. Also, the bits where they were trying to emphasize the 3D stick out like a sore thumb.

That said, this is where the series started to find its footing in trashy horror. Jason is finally the Jason that we all know, the "final girl" kicks rear end. I think this is also the movie from which Kevin Williamson drew much of his inspirations for Scream.

All in all, not good, but I liked it a fair bit more than Part II, which is just a more nasty remake of the first movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13th, Part IV: The Final Chapter

This was ... something. And by that I mean it's just kind of there. There are some interesting kills, but beyond that I can't remember a drat thing about the movie outside of Tommy Jarvis' demented stare at the end. I also really didn't feel much from the actor who played Jason.

I can't imagine ever revisiting this one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

May I request a dispensation to substitute a movie for one of the remaining movies in my challenge (F13 5-8 plus FvJ)?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning

I actually genuinely enjoyed this. It's very oddly edited--the Roy reveal is done in like a second--and Manfredini's score is very big-band style, in a departure from the series' norms, but I liked the brutality. Tommy Jarvis is still such a nothingburger of a character, but I liked him getting his revenge on "Jason."

Overall, this was one of my favorites of the series. Up next is Part VI, which is another one I've never seen.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

Okay, this loving rocked. It's incredibly tightly paced, being only an hour and a half long, it has some amazing kills, and it doesn't waste time pussyfooting around with a side story. I'm not going to go back and check, but I think this is the most screen time Jason has had in the series.

Tommy Jarvis also finally feels like an actual character, instead of a cipher ... although his actor delivers some pretty bizarre line readings.

The resurrected Jason is like a zombie pro wrestler. I kind of feel like this iteration of Jason is what the WWF used when developing the Kane character.

All in all, I genuinely enjoyed this and it will be part of my October horror marathon.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI

My challenge: Friday the 13th 1 - VIII, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

I don't really know what to think about this. Tina being telekinetic is a very odd twist, and there's almost no Jason in the movie. There's also way too much mansplaining happening throughout the movie, but that's to be expected for the era, I suppose.

The kills aren't really creative, either.

I don't really know how to feel about this movie. I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it, either. It's ... aggressively mediocre.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

More like Jason takes a boat and then spends all of twenty minutes in New York. Awful Jason design, awful score, awful writing.

Kane Hodder does his best, though.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 19, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

Nope, he's gotta suffer through Part 9.

Not part of my challenge.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, gently caress poo poo piss, my excuse for skipping Jason Goes to Hell was that it's not on the 8-movie Blu-ray set and wasn't streaming anywhere.

gently caress

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friday the 13th Part IX: Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

This feels like a movie that was stitched together from multiple scripts. The first feels like a Romero thing, then it becomes a basic F13 movie, and it also feels like a late-era Halloween movie, like The Curse of Michael Myers. And then there's the bullshit supernatural stuff, which just doesn't hold together whatsoever.

It's easily in the bottom-tier of the F13 movies. I need to kind of think of how to rank them, but I'm thinking Jason Lives might be at the top, and as much as I may be a heretic for saying so, Part II might be at the bottom.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell

EDIT: Jason Goes to Hell because Lurdiak is a jackwagon who reminded me that IX is on Netflix

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 24, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jason X: This is an odd duck that's still fantastically entertaining. I respect that it doesn't waste time with a subplot, but rather gets right to the chase: Jason is murdering the poo poo out of people. "(Character) goes to Space" is usually the death knell for a franchise, but I really respect the creativity shown here. Harry Manfredini's score is on point, too, a refreshing change from the last two films.

The Uber-Jason design is a bit wack, but I can overlook it.

My one real knock is the cinematography, which feels like Avengers 1 levels, which is to say that this could have aired on a Friday night on the Sci-Fi Channel and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

All in all, though, a solid entry in the series. All that remains now is Freddy vs. Jason!

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part III, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X

EDIT: Jason Goes to Hell because Lurdiak is a jackwagon who reminded me that IX is on Netflix

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 26, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freddy vs. Jason: Welcome to my world, bitch, indeed.

This is a movie that's almost good, but fumbles the ball at the 1-yard line. There are parts of it that I really like: Freddy's more of a sadistic rear end in a top hat instead of a dark comedian, Ken Kirzinger's Jason is great--I fully buy Ronny Yu's choice here, there's no egregiously awful casting.

But, man, for a movie called Freddy vs. Jason, we sure do spend a lot of family drama time with Monica Keene and her folks. Also, I thought the kills weren't really anything special.

But, hey, far from the worst in the series.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason

CHALLENGE COMPLETED

(do I get like a participation certificate or something)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Okay, I completed my F13 challenge, but I'll be a gamer and do one more horror movie to end the month. Only requirements: No rape scenes or other sexual violence, and streaming on Netflix or Hulu (cancelled Prime last year because I couldn't afford it).

Go.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Quiet Place it is. Will watch tomorrow to end the month.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Final Friday (of May): A Quiet Place

Well ... this was a thing. I don't think it was the revolutionary horror movie that a lot of people hyped it up to be, but there's a lot to like in it. The child actors are surprisingly effective--I believe one of them was actually deaf?--and because I have a severe bug phobia, the monsters being insectoid beasts from Hell really got to me.

There's a pervading sense of existential dread throughout the movie, although I credit that more to the editing than to Krasinski as a director; I really don't get why Krasinski framed much of the movie because it was completely lacking in subtlety. The sound mixing, though, holy poo poo.

But, really, the true credit goes to Emily Blunt. She's the glue that holds the entire movie together. Right from the beginning you can tell that she's running absolutely ragged, and when she gives birth in the bathtub, she completely sells that it's not just the pain of childbirth, but she's releasing all of the anguish that she's felt ever since the monster apocalypse began and especially the death of her son.

I wasn't thrilled by the cinematography, with a lot of it feeling either very flat or very over-saturated, but Marco Beltrami's score was excellent. I'm glad to see him finally returning to form after a decade-plus of mediocrity.

A good, not great, movie, but I'm glad I watched it, and thank you for the recommendation. Thus ends my May horror month.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part III, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X

Bonus: A Quiet Place

where's my participation trophy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

My favorites were The Vanishing, Rob Zombie's Halloween II, and Popcorn. I liked the majority of Trouble Every Day, except Vincent Gallo.

Rob Zombie's Halloween movies are so odd. I really can't say that I like them, because the scripts are terrible beyond words. But I have to respect them for being so loving bonkers, and I'll give Zombie points for coming up with some really creative and thought-provoking imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

18 months ago I had never seen a single Friday the 13th film. October 13th, 2017 was a Friday so I said “Why the gently caress not?” and here we are. Took me a little longer than I expected, can’t say I’m a fan. But I can finally do that thing everyone in this forum loves doing and I’ve never been able to do.

1. The Original?
2. VI: Jason Lives
3. IV: Final Chapter
4. Friday ’09
5. Jason X
6. Part 2
7. Part III
8. Freddy vs. Jason
9. V: A New Beginning
10. VII: New Blood
11. Jason Goes to Hell
12. VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

I mostly agree with this ranking, but I'd make a few changes. Goes to Hell is absolutely unworthy of any redemption and there's no reason anyone should watch it, ever. Takes Manhattan is weird, especially because of its misleading title, but I think it should be mid-tier.

I do agree with your opinions about '09. It gets so much wrong but it's kind of a Greatest Hits version of a Jason movie.

I'd put New Blood at the bottom with Goes to Hell, and I think Jason Lives is probably the best of the series.