Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Going for Need For Speed.

edit:
Complete. I'll have better photos in a bit here.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I, Cat Face Joe, oath the following for April:

One Warcor and her Aerocam, Corvus Belli, 28mm.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Oath Complete!

Claiming April - Fight or Flight for the Aerocam and Need for Speed.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Going for Need For Speed.

edit:
Complete. I'll have better photos in a bit here.

Also claiming All Together Now

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition: I oath two Rat Ogors, three Packmasters, and nine Giant Rats for April. All from GW

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Dr. Gargunza posted:

First Place, 3 points:  Ugleb

Vehicles can be hard to pull off, with their smaller scale and tighter details, but you've done a really impressive job here.  These achieve a look that combines speedy, grimy, and wizard-van-y, with the dust-covered remains of their owners' gaudy paint jobs clearly visible.  The deployment vehicle also just exudes grease and grime (and nice caution stripes!)

I'll take that, thank you!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Welp quarantine messed up my painting plans last month lol so lets try this again.

I, Grizzled Patriarch, Oath for the Month of April a Werebat from the Reaper Bones line:

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 18, 2020

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath THE EFFIGY OF 2020 (Dumpster Scatter terrain by Warsenal)

I would also like to throw my hat in the ring for Season 11 Judge if we're planning to do another one of these.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath Addition: I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint these Blood Bowl wood elves (4 linemen, 2 catchers, 2 wardancers, 1 thrower and 1 Jordell Freshbreeze) (GW) for April!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I, gameraMan, oath 1 Bone Devil for April

One Reaper Bones Bone Devil:

Claiming Flight given a flying devil..

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition Part 2: I oath for April 10 Plague Monks and 1 Inquisitor Coteaz, all from GW. I had to sculpt the second bird head on the Inquisitor due to a miscast, so it's going to look a look doofy.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition Part 2: I oath for April 10 Plague Monks and 1 Inquisitor Coteaz, all from GW. I had to sculpt the second bird head on the Inquisitor due to a miscast, so it's going to look a look doofy.

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath 1 Bone Devil for April

One Reaper Bones Bone Devil:

Claiming Flight given a flying devil..

Brock Samsonite posted:

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath THE EFFIGY OF 2020 (Dumpster Scatter terrain by Warsenal)

I would also like to throw my hat in the ring for Season 11 Judge if we're planning to do another one of these.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Welp quarantine messed up my painting plans last month lol so lets try this again.

I, Grizzled Patriarch, Oath for the Month of April a Werebat from the Reaper Bones line:

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint these Nazgul (GW) for April!

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition: I oath two Rat Ogors, three Packmasters, and nine Giant Rats for April. All from GW

Approved!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: March Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point:  ape!!!

So these guys are cool... Nice combination of gleamy metallics and coats that really earn the name "duster," with a few spots of bright color to set off the contrast. Nice weathered wood on the bases as well.

Second Place, 2 points:  KingMob

Some really interesting work with energy-type effects here, particularly on Hela's and Loki's bases and the seams on Hela's outfit. Giving Vision some fluorescent accents to his usual color scheme really pops.

First Place, 3 points:  Duct Tape

This AdMech person striding with badass purpose towards the camera is just one example of a really diverse month. Your submissions included shiny robotmans, creamy ratflesh, and what can best be described as a rotating cylinder of pure tetanus; multiple styles and techniques, all with really striking and detailed results. Lots of intricate details and subtle shading throughout all of them. Great work!

Bonus Point:  Cat Face Joe

For this Infinity trooper, you've taken a color scheme that could best be described as "pastel" and really given it some vibrancy. (And is that a freehand Tron-line glow on the base? Nice!)

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: February Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Brock Samsonite

The blending and lighting effects on this guy's skin is spot on. It really makes the model come alive.

2nd Place (2pts): Galaspar

The detail on this terrain is just great, all the way down to the tiny lettering on the scroll. It's great seeing this sort of dedication to terrain pieces.

1st Place (3pts): Ugleb

These cars look old, beat up, and ready for combat. Which is crazy with the tiny scale they are at. They're like Hot Wheels from Mad Max, and I love them!

Bonus (1pts): LazyAngel

A bonus point for a really unique model with a very smooth, consistent paint job, and some fantastic basing terrain!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: March Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Cat Face Joe

This color scheme, with the edge highlights all over makes the model stand out in a really fun almost-comic-book-ey way. I really like it.

2nd Place (2pts): ape!!!

The clean lines, varied colors of leather, fine highlights, and the great basing terrain really make these models look like their standing in the middle of a shootout. Great stuff!

1st Place (3pts): Brock Samsonite

This model and surrounding terrain is just incredible. The sickly weathering, highlights on the hear and lettering, box of random supplies, the lettering on the display. It's ridiculous.

Bonus (1pts): Zark the Damned

A bonus point for some great bases, and possibly the shiniest metal I've ever seen on a mini. You could almost use their pauldrons as mirrors!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Duct Tape posted:

:catdrugs: February Judgement :catdrugs:

1st Place (3pts): Ugleb

These cars look old, beat up, and ready for combat. Which is crazy with the tiny scale they are at. They're like Hot Wheels from Mad Max, and I love them!

Thank you!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!
And what fun it was in the end. Nice to paint something larger-scale from time to time.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I've been hit by a baby, so I'm more dead than alive. So without comment:

:kingsley:March judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

Second place, 2 points: with a rebel yell she QQd

First place, 3 points: KingMob

Bonus, 1 point: Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath (and season) Complete!

All around shots including battle effects!

Some close ups of some of the details including the face beneath the mask

Better shots of the base including the graffiti and attempt as subtle OSL from the lantern

Carapace weaponry to be swapped as needed

As per tradition I'm claiming Mr Tryhard on this guy:

* Blending on various areas around the model and base
* Weathering on the feet (dust), heat staining on the guns and scorch marks on the super flamer nozzles
* Flame effects from the super flamer
* Converted using 3rd party bits (extra knee joints and panels between the toes) and it's mostly unglued for pose-ability and changeable weapons
* Numerous freehand designs
* Kill markings on the harpoon gun barrel
* Shield on the base is from Warmachine plus assorted super nerdy Yogscast references
* Fake marble effects on the face and shoulder plates
* WIP pictures available in my gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/mUU3RXm
* Hazard stripes on some of the plates
* Shiny plate rims and lenses
* And finally this guy is clearly engaged in battle, firing his guns at an unknown target

And finally, everything I've painted this season for All together now

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath addition also complete!

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

I, ape!!!, oath these 4 Wizkid treasure chests for April. These will be used as treasure/objective markers for Frostgrave.

Excited that I ranked for the other month on my WWX figures! Also wished that I remembered to photograph/Oath the 10 Frostgrave figures I painted this month.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

Oath Complete! Claiming Need 4 Speed and Get the Crystal. These Wiz Kids minis will be used as treasures for Frostgrave. I made the bases as well from XPS foam, cork, and homemade fake snow.

ape!!! fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 27, 2020

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition Part 3: I oath for April 6 more Plague Monks.

To be clear, this brings the total for this month to: 19 Clanrats, 16 Plague Monks, 9 Giant Rats, 3 Pack Masters, 2 Rat Ogors, and 1 Inquisitor Corteaz. A solid 50 models in a single month. I'm going for broke in April.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete

I wasn't really sure how to approach this model, because I kind of didn't want to go with a stereotypical devil look, so I threw caution to the wind and sourced a color scheme from my kids (with some fine tuning). Initially I thought it was bananas, but went ahead with it because this doesn't have to match/coordinate anything and I figured it would be interesting to try something different. Turned out a lot better than I anticipated and I am actually really happy with it! Also, sorely tempted to paint way more large-scale miniatures because this is the first time in ages/ever I've painted a face I was satisfied with.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath Complete!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

OATH COMPLETE

Capping off this season with a spirit of the new year, a bullet riddled burning dumpster.
Claiming Fight or Flight as it's terrain for any good ole wartorn environment.

And All Together Now!

Not a prolific output, but some good pieces. Not at all bad for a year in which I moved 1,000+ miles across country in a truck with all my hobby poo poo.

Postscript:

I just wanted to thank everyone here. Zark for continuing this thing on, the judges for taking their time, but most of all the rest of you for painting along side. I started the oath thread back in 2013. My roommate had commissioned me to paint a whole drat Eldar army and I figured the Oath thread was a good way to keep me honest about my paint output. Painting along the likes of such as Signal, SRM (CAM2D lol), Booley, Bachtere and just too many others to name really put my work in perspective for me. I decided at that point I wouldn't be back until I could really stand on my own. Since then I've bought 3 airbrushes, a lightbox, and a digital camera not wanting to only learn how to paint better, but present my works better.

I can honestly say that the Something Awful Oath Thread has changed my life for the better, from thinking of myself as a 'figure painter' to an 'artist.' Thank you all so much, and I'll see you again next month.

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 1, 2020

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for April nineteen Skaven Clanrats. All from GW.

Duct Tape posted:

Duct Tape posted:

Duct Tape posted:

To be clear, this brings the total for this month to: 19 Clanrats, 16 Plague Monks, 9 Giant Rats, 3 Pack Masters, 2 Rat Ogors, and 1 Inquisitor Corteaz. A solid 50 models in a single month. I'm going for broke in April.

Four-Part Oath Complete! The capstone month of 50 models is complete!

Forty nine Skaven:

And one Inquisitor Coteaz:

Because that all-together picture is Where's Waldo-level chaos, here they are broken out by box.

Plague Monks:

Clanrats:

Rat Ogors, Packmasters, and Giant Rats:

Also claiming The Daily Double for September - This is an Art Attack (the freehand lettering on the Plague Monk's scroll) and December - Through thick and thin (thick: each and every model has fur, thin: most models are carrying wooden shield or wooden staves).

Thank you everyone for putting together another solid year of Oathing. Everyone contributing, judging, and running this has given me fantastic motivation to continue painting, and I know I would be nowhere near as productive if I didn't have this thread serving as a reminder every month!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Claiming Fight or Flight for it being a revolting hovering thing.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Oath Complete!

One Bone Devil, claiming Flight since wings...

and All together now

I really enjoyed this season of painting and feel like I might be getting just a bit better! And this will be my first time completing an oath each month of the season, so supposedly that makes me a 'master'... ;-)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oath Complete!

Claiming Flight for this one.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Didn't want to edit my Oath Complete post but I'm also claiming All Together Now for all these Oath minis I finished this season. Really hammers home just how slowly I paint lol.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Didn't want to edit my Oath Complete post but I'm also claiming All Together Now for all these Oath minis I finished this season. Really hammers home just how slowly I paint lol.

Well it's fortunate they all look great then. ;)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks, April (and season 10) is now over! I hope to get the new season kicked off over the weekend and will update this thread when it's up. All that's left is the final judgements once I've gotten the gallery sorted.

Thank you to everyone who participated, and especially to our panel of judges, I hope you all enjoyed the season and it helped you get through your backlogs!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Brock Samsonite posted:

Postscript:[/u][/i]
I just wanted to thank everyone here. Zark for continuing this thing on, the judges for taking their time, but most of all the rest of you for painting along side. I started the oath thread back in 2013. My roommate had commissioned me to paint a whole drat Eldar army and I figured the Oath thread was a good way to keep me honest about my paint output. Painting along the likes of such as Signal, SRM (CAM2D lol), Booley, Bachtere and just too many others to name really put my work in perspective for me. I decided at that point I wouldn't be back until I could really stand on my own. Since then I've bought 3 airbrushes, a lightbox, and a digital camera not wanting to only learn how to paint better, but present my works better.

I can honestly say that the Something Awful Oath Thread has changed my life for the better, from thinking of myself as a 'figure painter' to an 'artist.' Thank you all so much, and I'll see you again next month.
Thank you for expressing this, it's a really great sentiment. I don't paint much any more due to all the stuff in my life going on, but I wouldn't paint at all without this thread. So thanks to Zark and the judges, everyone who participates, and I am glad to join up again for the next round!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ugleb posted:

Well it's fortunate they all look great then. ;)

Thank you! These are the first things I've painted since middle school and I've been learning a ton from the people here.

Echoing the thanks to the judges and OP for keeping this thread going - it pretty much single handedly got me back into the hobby and seeing all the great painters in here is really inspiring.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

All for one

Just for the hell of it, a recap of the year. But I was too lazy to get it all out of boxes in one shot. drat I have spent a lot of it on Hellboy! Also there is stuff I painted but didn't oath so who can keep track?

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 1, 2020

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

ape!!! posted:

I, ape!!!, oath these 4 Wizkid treasure chests for April. These will be used as treasure/objective markers for Frostgrave.

Excited that I ranked for the other month on my WWX figures! Also wished that I remembered to photograph/Oath the 10 Frostgrave figures I painted this month.

Duct Tape posted:

Approved!

The spreadsheet should now be up to date, let me know if I've missed anything! Also everyone completed their oath in April which was nice :D
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nuMunESXXQIzRSQ6ZNeY2ljrNLwtbeKiNemdg8UHDHw/edit#gid=30

Season 11 Thread now up - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922061 - I am still working on the monthly challenges and have removed a couple of the achievements that seemed unpopular, if anyone has any further suggestions or comments pop them in there. We're still looking for judges too!

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 2, 2020

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just a quick thing to let people know about Safety Factor's awesome new project:

Safety Factor posted:

Hello friends, please click the link below and consider participating in my little charity event. We're all bored in lockdown right now so I thought we might be able to channel that into something a little more productive. I will be donating money to a food bank for every model completed in the next couple of months. All you have to do to participate is post pictures of your models though other options will be available for those who'd like to do more. It is somewhat focused on 28mm stuff, but there are other categories available and if your models aren't represented, just let me know and we can work something out.

Full details in the thread, click the banner below to find out more:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks the final gallery of Season 10 is now up - https://imgur.com/a/4FdWFSK - double check your pics are present and it's off for judgement!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:razz: April Judgements! :imunfunny:

Third Place, 1 point:  Duct Tape

These are great rats, and so many of them! (also some kinda spess mehreen) Excellent contrast in color, mostly on the warm earth tones end of the spectrum, but with that dark iron providing a nice cool counterpoint. (I'd rank this higher if I could; I hope you can forgive me.)

Second Place, 2 points:  Zark the Damned

Giant stompy robuts are a particular favorite of mine, and this is a damned impressive one. In addition to making the launchables removable, you've applied a vibrant palette to the armor plates while contrasting it with the dark oily metal of the endoskeleton. Really nice!

First Place, 3 points:  Lazy Angel

Just the shading on this piece is incredible, but the whole thing looks so natural and fierce. You take a somewhat limited palette of mid-earth tones and make each element of the diorama distinct, with special focus on the faces of the totem and the rhino-man (and that jade green is the perfect contrasting color). Outstanding work!

Bonus Point:  Brock Samsonite

Nice weathering, damage, graffiti, and the light inside is a fun Repo Man touch. Plus I enjoy the graffiti's attitude. :respek:

And that's it for this season! I could go on for a while about how difficult my decisions were this month (seriously, everyone brought their A-game), but I'm too excited to see what people post in the new Oath Thread! (Don't forget to crosspost your minis in the other painting threads; they all deserve to be seen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:razz: April Judgements! :imunfunny:

First Place, 3 points:  Lazy Angel

Just the shading on this piece is incredible, but the whole thing looks so natural and fierce. You take a somewhat limited palette of mid-earth tones and make each element of the diorama distinct, with special focus on the faces of the totem and the rhino-man (and that jade green is the perfect contrasting color). Outstanding work!

Thanks! It was a pleasure to paint, although I had to control my urge to rush it more.