Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

I, Brock Samsonite, For June am Oathing up one hefty lad, a King's Hand from Wyrd Miniatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Arson Fire posted:

Been a while since I've done an oath, and I was just about to start on these terminators. So why not.

I, Arson Fire, oath for June six Aquilon Terminators, 28mm, from Games Workshop.

Brock Samsonite posted:

I, Brock Samsonite, For June am Oathing up one hefty lad, a King's Hand from Wyrd Miniatures

Mikey Purp posted:

I, Mikey Purp, oath for the month of June: a Lord Kroak, 32mm from Games Workshop.

spiderbot posted:

First time oathing!

I, spiderbot, oath for June Sonnia Criid and Samael Hopkins, by Wyrd Miniatures, and a converted Purifying Flame (Warhammer skeleton combined with a Reaper fire elemental), all for Malifaux.

Galaspar posted:

For June I , Galaspar, oath Inquisitor Grayfax, plus nine assorted pipe and chimney pieces, two small towers, a large tower, a dome and a bridge

Grey Hunter posted:

I, Grey Hunter, hearby oath 31 WWII Germans, 28mm by Warlord Games.

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of June, Rasputin, 'Ragnarok' Rasputin, The Tentacles of Sadu Hem & Giant Frog Monster. All from Hellboy the Boardgame by Mantic Games.

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath 1 fireplace and log fire for June!

Reaper bones fireplace.

Including the monthly I don't know whether the weather will be nice, 'heavy damage' for heavy use as a blackened, stained fireplace... that counts, right?

Ashcans posted:

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Bones Frost Giant Raider for June

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for June

Alt-Lunah and Bachmann, Aristeia, Corvus Belli.

Ilor posted:

I, Ilor, do Oath the following for the month of June: 1 Opel Blitz truck with magnetized crew and bed options (28mm Warlord/Italeri):

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I, Grizzled Patriarch, oath the following for the month of June:

1 Skeletal Minotaur in 28mm scale by Reaper Miniatures.

schwein11 posted:

I, schwein11, oath the following for June:

One GW Smasha Gun (Ork Mek Gun variant) with grot crew.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I, Cat Face Joe, oath the following for June

Swiss Guard HMG from Corvus Belli and Generic Wizard from Reaper.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I also forgot to put my name in the photos, oh well there is always

I, Doorknob Slobber, Oath to paint the following for June:

7 traitor guardsmen and janus draik from blackstone fortress

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for June 2019:

One Giant Cyclops, 28mm from RBJ Games
6 Dwarf Battle Statues, 28mm from MOM Miniatures

Approved!

gameraMan posted:

'heavy damage' for heavy use as a blackened, stained fireplace... that counts, right?

That sounds suitable to me!

The May Gallery is now up, please check your pics are there! It'll go to the judges next weekend. Don't forget, only pics with your username are posted to the galleries. https://imgur.com/a/qEXh8j3

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 8, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Completed!

Ancient stone guardians line the roads to the Dwarfs greatest keeps. In times of great need they can be awakened by the rune priests and march to battle alongside their armies.

The great mountain Cyclops makes a powerful ally, but what price does his aid cost, and what oaths must be sworn?

Claiming Heavy Rain for the snow effects (and also technically Heavy Damage for the cyclops' rusty anchor), Stay awhile and listen for the fluff, and A Need for Speed as evidenced here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888356&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post495568874

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the sickly month of June

2x Amazon Living Statues and 2x Spartan Living Statues by Reaperm (28mm)

I really should turn my sick time into something useful, and distract myself from thinking I might get let go for taking a week off sick 2 months into the gig.

Top goon top tip, stay the gently caress away from friend's small kids, they do nothing but spread pestilence.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

NTRabbit posted:

Top goon top tip, stay the gently caress away from friend's small kids, they do nothing but spread pestilence.
FTFY.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I’ve never been sicker (on multiple occasions) as an adult than the few times I’ve caught one of my kids’ nastier bugs brought home from school or what have you. The price we pay..

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those are dope.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for June ten Grey Knights. All are 28mm models from Games Workshop. Was waiting to oath until the Contrast paints came out today, but now I need to rush to finish these guys within the next two weeks!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the sickly month of June

2x Amazon Living Statues and 2x Spartan Living Statues by Reaperm (28mm)

I really should turn my sick time into something useful, and distract myself from thinking I might get let go for taking a week off sick 2 months into the gig.

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for June ten Grey Knights. All are 28mm models from Games Workshop. Was waiting to oath until the Contrast paints came out today, but now I need to rush to finish these guys within the next two weeks!

Approved!

May's gallery has been submitted for judgement! ijyt, is there a good way for me to alert you in the future as you don't have PMs?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

Approved!

May's gallery has been submitted for judgement! ijyt, is there a good way for me to alert you in the future as you don't have PMs?

Ah poo poo, I’ll get them again soon. You can always send me a message through Discord though.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:May judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Brock Samsonite

A nice, ghostly scheme. It's simple in a good way, and the spots of color are great.

Second place, 2 points: Duct Tape

How big is that army getting? Still cool, and I like the black and brass drone(?) guys.

First place, 3 points: Mikey Purp

A very colorful guy, the scales look great, and that base is super cool.

Bonus, 1 point: Ashcans

Cool gradient!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath for June five Boingrot Bounders, from GW

Would have been ten, but I *may* have lost the face of one squig and absent-mindedly chucked the sprue with spares...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Minor Oath Modification!

So I like to take my painting projects along when we go camping, and unfortunately when I came back this time I found I lost part of my oath... :-( I lost the fire in the fire place somewhere along the way. This was the original image:

To replace it I built a new fire from balsa wood and green stuff, which is here:

so anyway, I couldn't find any instructions on 'i lost half my oath' so i just made this up, just in case anyone looks really closely at the result :)

let me know if this is ok -

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: May Judgements! :siren: sorry so late

Third Place, 1 point: Cat Face Joe

This is a really nice and subtle transition from warm to slightly-cooler. You've also done some interesting detail work on the rest of the model, besides just the hair. The overall paint job looks simple, but does its job without too much flash.

Second Place, 2 points: Ashcans

Another simple but effective blend, really selling the octopus' camouflage ability (or is it growing out of the stone itself?? spoooooky). You've got just enough detail to highlight the desired effect, without going overboard.

First Place, 3 points: Mikey Purp

...I mean, this is a great lizard. There's so much happening on this guy, and so many intricate highlights and blends, I thought you'd used a color-shifting paint at first. The facets on the warpstone, the scales on the skinks' backs, and the shell are done so smoothly and with such vibrant colors. That ocean base is no slouch either. Excellent work!

Bonus Point: Grizzled Patriarch

Gotta love a good umber hulk, and the blending on the mandibles is particularly sweet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:pcgaming: May Judgement (barely)

3rd Place (1 Point): Ashcans

It's simple, it's cute, and it works.

2nd Place (2 Points): Brock Samsonite

These are right up my alley - muted tones, just the right amount of colour and lovely gentle gradients. The hints of pink and purple really shine without stealing the show.

1st Place (3 Points): KingMob

Straight out of a comic book! The colours pop without being garish, and everything has a well defined contrast.

Bonus Point: Cat Face Joe

Nails May's theme, I really love the gentle gradient and the colour choice is spot-on.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So it's been a few seasons since I oathed anything, but now that I've got brushes and paint I'm back on the wagon!

I, Icon of Sin, oath to paint the following model:

This is a Cacodemon from the Doom 2016 board game, but I'm going to shoot for A faithful Replica and do it in the OG Doom scheme.

OG scheme:

There are a few differences between the new model and the old sprite, but I'm going to try and veer as close to the original as I can.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: May Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Galaspar

Each of these three is a rainbow of decay and chaos. Love it.

2nd Place (2pts): Grizzled Patriarch

This paint job looks so natural on this model that I wouldn't look twice seeing it running up the beach (likely because I'd be running away).

1st Place (3pts): Mikey Purp

This guy is just on point. The gorgeous water on the seaside base, grimy shiny (and colorshifting?) carapace, the riders each with their own blended scales, topped with a jewel that pops. Great stuff, not even mentioning the other models you oathed this month, which were also fantastic.

Bonus (1pts): Brock Samsonite

The ultra smooth blending on these cloaks make them look straight out of a Disney nightmare.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, I’m not very good at being patient or only doing one :v:

Oath complete!

A Fair Replica comparison:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 22, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

gameraMan posted:

Minor Oath Modification!

So I like to take my painting projects along when we go camping, and unfortunately when I came back this time I found I lost part of my oath... :-( I lost the fire in the fire place somewhere along the way. This was the original image:

To replace it I built a new fire from balsa wood and green stuff, which is here:

so anyway, I couldn't find any instructions on 'i lost half my oath' so i just made this up, just in case anyone looks really closely at the result :)

let me know if this is ok -

This is OK, I'm not gonna penalise you for replacing the mini with a new one after you lost it.

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath for June five Boingrot Bounders, from GW

Would have been ten, but I *may* have lost the face of one squig and absent-mindedly chucked the sprue with spares...

Icon Of Sin posted:

So it's been a few seasons since I oathed anything, but now that I've got brushes and paint I'm back on the wagon!

I, Icon of Sin, oath to paint the following model:

This is a Cacodemon from the Doom 2016 board game, but I'm going to shoot for A faithful Replica and do it in the OG Doom scheme.

OG scheme:

There are a few differences between the new model and the old sprite, but I'm going to try and veer as close to the original as I can.

Approved!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh wow, I think this is the first time I've been mentioned by multiple judges for a month. :aaa: Thanks a lot, I had a lot of fun painting the octopus, but ended up going back over the gradient several times trying to get it right. Glad the extra time and effort paid off!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete!

Now just the support units for the two sides to do, and then I can think about having a game!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming Heavy Damage for all the weathering and dust effects.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

Well that's the core set bosses done for Hellboy, including one very happy mad monk.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

OATH COMPLETE!

Put a lot of my heart and soul into this one, happy to have it done before the end of the month.

Y Ddraig Gwych(Stay awhile and listen)

"Comprehensive List of Assets for High Command, Circa 1912, compiled by Second Lieutenant Hughes"

The only Titan class asset sent to Wales by the King's Empire. Painted in local Livery, Y Ddraig Gwych was stationed with the 1st Wales Coastal Defense Battalion, meant for the garrison to be able to repel any invasion attempt in the event of Ireland falling back into the Guild of Mercantilers' hands. It was never meant to see any actual combat so was provisioned with no replacement parts, spare ammunition, or Soulstones for power. With the event of the Invasion Of London and the sea creatures which came to be known as the Gibbering Hordes, the quartermaster Major Davies ordered the salt-stained aging King's Hand be activated for it's original purpose, coastal defense.

Though morbid, the Soulstone cache powering Y Ddraig Gwych was fortuitously recharged by the sinking of the HMS Destiny while it was transporting 4th Borderers from Ireland to Wales. The Titan-class sea monsters attacking the Destiny was successfully repelled , but was unable to keep the ship itself from sinking and at least half the hands and troops were lost with the vessel.

It has since been repaired with various parts from steam ships, automobiles, and industrial boilers. The main gun on Titan has been firing beach scrap, debris, and spare bearings encased in wax out of recovered brass casing as no ammunition has been supplied to the 1st Wales since initial issue. Though since it has been recharged with the souls of the 4th Borderers it seems to have acquired some construct "quirks" and opts to wade into a melee and bash things with it's primary cannon more often than not these days. These un-authorized modification overseen by Major Davies has resulted in Y Ddraig Gwych falling out of the approved guidelines for operating such a war-engine in His Majesty's Army. It is this soldiers opinion this makes the Titan unfit for redeployment elsewhere and that Major Davies should face a disciplinary committee for the unauthorized alteration to a major war-engine.

Process: (A recipe for success)
I used a lot of new materials I never have before in this and I'd like to go over a brief overview of them.

1. Starting off I airbrush primed with black Stynylrez like I always do. Decided to forgo zenithial priming as we were gonna gently caress up Big Lad right hard. Airbrushed the AK chipping color then liberally sponged Vallejo Calvary Brown and Orange Brown over the whole thing. I then masked up everything that wasn't going to be painted armor plates with my favorite highly technical masking medium (silly putty) then hit it with the AK Worn Effects. I discovered it's important to mask where you spray that stuff because it dries crystal loving clear.

2. Next stop basecoating. I used the following cremes to get that white. I chipped some of the paint off here at this point as a test. The AK worn effects is very easy to use and will chip like that using a wet work brush you don't care about too much. It makes a hydrophobic layer or something? I don't know how it works. I just used the Scalecolor Green right outta the bottle without any shading becaaause...

3. ... I just discovered airbrushing using inks! I took a class where I was told I was using my Badger SOTAR all wrong trying to put regular Airbrush paint through it and that it's really designed for suuuuper thinned down medium like inks/candy coats. I adjusted the saturation and colors in the image with the inks a bit so it was more prevalant. I shaded the lower parts/shadow occulsion parts of the green armor plating with FW Payne's Gray ink which is just like loving magic for darkening things. I also used it to blacken the barrel of the gun and carbon the vents on the back.

Several coats of matte varnish went down between layers as "Save Points" since I was afraid I was loving various things up trying them for the first time.

4. Finally the water effects. Having never done water I've been very satisfied with before, I opted to try something different. I tried using a UV cured resin so I wouldn't have to mess with mixing 2 part resins and dealing with shrinkage/drying/etc. This stuff comes outta the bottle clear so I tinted with some teal ink. Hoo boy was there some learning process involved with this one. So I bought a little UV flashlight to go with it, since it says it cures under UV light in 3-5 minutes. I left that fucker on there for like an hour, but still it was tacky, took fingerprints etc. Long story short, I left it out in the sun for 30-40 mins and it finished completely hardening up, no muss no fuss.

For the tide, I used Woodland Scenic's Water Effect. It behaves just like it says on the bottle, it's a heavy gel that dries clear, drybrush white and boom instant water motion.

Claiming:
June - I don't know whether the weather will be nice
Stay awhile and listen
A recipe for success
The Daily Double (September - This is an Art Attack, October - Fight of the Century [a loser is you])

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Oath Complete!

https://imgur.com/PyJOmJn

Swiss Guard

https://imgur.com/aDTNsJf

Claiming June Heavy Damage for the heat discoloration on the gun barrel.

Generic Wizard

https://imgur.com/2zwwvOl

But this is not just some Generic Wizard before you! No! This is Usidore, Wizard of the 12th Realm of Ephysiyies, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator of Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terr'akkas. The elves know him as Fi’ang Yalok. The dwarfs know him as Zoenen Hoogstandjes. And he is known in the Northeast as Gaismunēnas Meistar!

Claiming (hopefully) A Faithful Replica.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Oath complete!

Sonnia

Samael

Purifying flame

Here they are with the rest of the gang (witchling stalkers I painted in May)

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Oath Complete!

This was a tough month for me due to real life stuff going on and also being too sick to paint for almost an entire week. I might go back and add some finishing touches to the base later on (a little more dry brushing, maybe make the waves higher), but I was leaving for vacation and I'm happy with how he came out for now. Claiming heavy damage for the weathered wraps and the general mummification of the dude.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 30, 2019

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

Oath Complete!

[Some awesome poo poo]

Hot drat dude, Mummy-slaan owns. I love your stuff! (Sorry stuff has been poo poo for you, glad you were still able to paint though)

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Complete!

Claiming A Recipe for Success
First, the most prominent piece of these knights is their bluish armor.
Prime: Leadbelcher spray
Base: Grey Knights Steel. Seriously, Games Workshop released the aptly name paint this month.
Wash: Wash all over with Drakenhof Nightshade
Wash: Lightly wash all over with Nuln Oil
Edge Highlight: Grey Knights Steel
Rivet Highlight: Runefang Steel

The flat metal color of the bolters and handles is Leadbelcher washed with Nuln Oil. The swords and staves are Grey Knights Steel washed with Nuln Oil and drybrushed with Necron Compound. The brass accents are Brass Scorpion washed with Nuln Oil. The golden shoulderpads of the Justicars is Hashnut Copper and Nuln Oil. The red of the weapons is Korne Red and Nuln Oil, highlighted with Korne Red/Mephiston Red. The bright silvery metal of the banners and Justicars' arm shields and is Runefang Steel and Nuln Oil. The eyes are White Scar washed with the new Contrast paint, Aethermatic Blue, then the edges cleaned with a little Nuln Oil.

The base is primed black. Then using an airbrush, apply the following colors through a dryer sheet: Kantor Blue, then Skrag Brown, then White Scar. Wash with Nuln Oil. Then highlight the gold bits with Retributor Armor. Wash the crevices and gold with Agrax Earthshade. Paint the rim of the base black (I used Abaddon Black, but any black will do).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I am claiming the monthly for the weathering on her cape and the snow on the base (let me know if this needs a better picture, it's a little washed out)

First time painting Bones without a primer, and also a much bigger figure than I normally work on, so some learning this month. I also had to rig a new photo setup because my white screen was not working for the colors here.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Oath Complete

Claiming heavy damage for the June challenge with the rust, verdigris, and other weathering on the gun. I am not 100% happy with the rust, in particular on the white parts, and wonder what others think about it.

I probably could and should have spent more time on the grots, but I ran out of time to do so. I also tried out contrast paints on these grots (skin - which i then added layering from normal paints - and clothing and the wire tubing).

I also need to up my picture-taking game.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!
Not the most productive month, but then I started halfway through.

EDIT: Claiming Heavy Damage for all the rust.

LazyAngel fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 1, 2019

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Claiming heavy damage for the seriously rusty terrain.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
June Oath Complete!

Fireplace with (replaced) fire:

Backside of the fire, which I painted even though it's not going to be seen much...

Claiming Heavy Damage for the blackened fireplace...

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Oath Complete!. Whew, close one this time. Played around with a ton of new techniques / materials on this one and underestimated how long it would take to fiddle with everything.

Claiming Heavy Damage for all of the painted dings and scratches / oxidation effects.

Also claiming Spic and Span for organizing my random pile of supplies while I waited for varnish to dry. Actually underestimated how many paints I'd collected, so I'll probably have to buy another rack in the not-too-distant future.

Before:

After:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oath Complete

I slacked on the bases, I hate basing things. I'll probably revisit them some day, but they're done enough for me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:hist101: OATH COMPLETE :hist101:

Statues that you can walk past and ignore because they are totally not alive

Claiming I don't know whether the weather will be nice - heavy damage for the verdigris added to the cracked versions to really sell the old and weathered

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Righty ho, June is complete! On to July

quote:

July - Feel the Burn
Your model should feature flames of some kind. This could a soldier firing a flamethrower, a dragon roasting some unfortunate adventurers or a spaceship at full thrust, so long as there's fire! OSL isn't necessary but may help get the point across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

Oath Complete!

This was a tough month for me due to real life stuff going on and also being too sick to paint for almost an entire week. I might go back and add some finishing touches to the base later on (a little more dry brushing, maybe make the waves higher), but I was leaving for vacation and I'm happy with how he came out for now. Claiming heavy damage for the weathered wraps and the general mummification of the dude.

I was phone-posting before, so I wanted to come back and say that this guy looks great! As a lapsed Lizardmen player I love the aesthetic of the Slann, and you really did a good job on this. The spectral glow is really well done!