Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For May I, Galaspar, oath a Biologus Putrifier, a Master of Executions and a Plague Surgeon, all by GW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete!

Claiming a smooth start for the gradient on the Executuioner's axe.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For June I , Galaspar, oath Inquisitor Grayfax, plus nine assorted pipe and chimney pieces, two small towers, a large tower, a dome and a bridge

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete

Claiming heavy damage for the seriously rusty terrain.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006

ijyt posted:

Not seeing the stuff by NT Rabbit, Grizzled Patriarch, and some others like the fireplace.

I think mine is missing too

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For July I, Galaspar, oath a Poxwalker, a Chaos Cultist, a Master of Possession, a Plague Marine and an Orlock Ganger, all by GW

Bit of a mixed bag this month, wanted to try out the Contrast range on a variety of the things I like to paint.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete

Claiming feel the burn for the pink flames on the sorcerer.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For August I, Galaspar, oath six converted Chaos Cultists made from GW Cawdor and Zombies

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete!

Claiming Obligatory Conversion Month for the extensive kit-bashing.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For September I, Galaspar, oath a Chaos Lord by GW

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete

Claiming Art Attack for the freehanded Mark of Nurgle and the cloak border.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For October, I , Galaspar, oath a Death Guard Bloat Drone by GW

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete

Claiming we have a winner for the defeated foe beneath it.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For November I, Galaspar, oath 3 Necromunda Orlocks and 2 barricades , all by GW

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete!

For the you're not from round here challenge, I've riffed on a couple of legendary British graffiti slogans, "who put bella in the wych elm" and "M. Kahn is bent"

(EDIT: added clearer photos)

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 1, 2019

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For December I. Galaspar, oath 5 Necromunda Corpse Grinders by GW

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete

Fur for the challenge

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For January I, Galaspar, oath three very old mercenaries by GW

If all goes well, I'll also be entering these guys into a contest called Naismithery in the Oldhammer community, as each one was sculpted by Bob Naismith.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming First, draw a circle for the WIP pics, and A recipe for success for my rambling about how I painted them.

First up, inspiration. Painting really old, highly individual minis can be a challenge, because there's no box art to start from, and very few images of how other people have painted them. I knew, however, that these models have a place in my collection as scum-for-hire in Necromunda, so I looked at how GW painted the current line of Necromunda hired guns (image from the Forgeworld store):

Lots of inspiration there. Muted tones for the clothing, and patches of bright red and yellow applied in an asymmetrical fashion. The models are clearly individuals, but there's enough shared elements to bring all three together . And there's those awesome brass armour plates on one guy, I had to give that a try. For basing, I'd already mounted the trio on lumps of slate to give them some extra height and presence, but natural rocks aren't so evocative of Necromunda. I looked up by-products of metalworking, and found this striking image:

Metal slag can be green, who knew? Apparently NASA are sick of hopeful folk bringing these chunks to them, thinking they are meteorites.

So, base colours blocked in, using Daemonette Hide for the cloth, Mephiston Red for some details, and the old Citadel Foundation Yellow for the other details. Skin got a basecoat of Cadian Flesh, and everything that will be dark or metallic got a nice coat of Black Templar Contrast.

A Drukari Violet wash added some definition to the cloth, while the metals were painted with Leadbelcher and Balthasar Gold. Gorthor Brown on the leather, Reikland Flesh on the skin, and Incubi Darkness to bring some green tones to the rocks.

Added black chevrons to one shoulder, and more paints than I could really name to build up highlights. The silvery metal got black and brown washes, and heavily thinned Skrag Brown to add rust and corrosion, followed by Runefang Steel highlights. The bronze had similar washes and Runefang highlights, plus a little Nialahk Oxide in the recesses. Old World Jack in the centre had some extra attention applied to his face, including a crimson wash in his scar, and a little bluish-grey to make the eye the scar runs through look dead and cloudy - he ain't doing much seeing out of that. Highlighted the red up the Fire Dragon Bright, and the yellow to Bad Moon Yellow, using glazes to bring them together. Drybrushed successive greens onto the rocks, up to Moot Green. Skavenblight Dinge and Stormvermin Fur gave some dirty highlights to the black parts.

And there's the finished result! Final details included a glowing florescent patch on Jack's arm, and a transition to simulate flames on the masked man's chest badge - he is called Worldburner after all. I think I succeeded in making them look like a united little mercenary band, but not uniformed soldiers. I entered them into the #Naismithery contest as planned, where the standard of competition is extremely high, but I'm hoping I made a decent account of myself.

(NB you might notice that Jack's aerial changed towards the end. The original was very flimsy, and at some point I dropped him and it broke beyond repair. Ah well)

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 1, 2020

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For February I, Galaspar, oath a refinery terrain piece and a shrine terrain piece (parts by GW, Mantic and Fenris Games)

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Addition

For February, I additionally oath a sewer entrance and a bulkhead door (GW)

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete!

For a pattern for success there's hazard stripes on the bulkhead door.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For March I, Galaspar, oath eleven mercenaries for Mordheim

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Failed

Just haven't been feeling it this month. My Mordheim group (naturally) stopped meeting, and the models really weren't inspiring me.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
I, Galaspar, oath a Foetid Bloat-Drone for April

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Complete

Claiming Fight or Flight for it being a revolting hovering thing.