Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath some Spooky Ghosts for May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

OATH COMPLETE!
Claiming Take one for the team and A smooth start (I think I remember that's how you do this?)

drat it feels good to be back.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, For June am Oathing up one hefty lad, a King's Hand from Wyrd Miniatures

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

OATH COMPLETE!

Put a lot of my heart and soul into this one, happy to have it done before the end of the month.

Y Ddraig Gwych(Stay awhile and listen)

"Comprehensive List of Assets for High Command, Circa 1912, compiled by Second Lieutenant Hughes"

The only Titan class asset sent to Wales by the King's Empire. Painted in local Livery, Y Ddraig Gwych was stationed with the 1st Wales Coastal Defense Battalion, meant for the garrison to be able to repel any invasion attempt in the event of Ireland falling back into the Guild of Mercantilers' hands. It was never meant to see any actual combat so was provisioned with no replacement parts, spare ammunition, or Soulstones for power. With the event of the Invasion Of London and the sea creatures which came to be known as the Gibbering Hordes, the quartermaster Major Davies ordered the salt-stained aging King's Hand be activated for it's original purpose, coastal defense.

Though morbid, the Soulstone cache powering Y Ddraig Gwych was fortuitously recharged by the sinking of the HMS Destiny while it was transporting 4th Borderers from Ireland to Wales. The Titan-class sea monsters attacking the Destiny was successfully repelled , but was unable to keep the ship itself from sinking and at least half the hands and troops were lost with the vessel.

It has since been repaired with various parts from steam ships, automobiles, and industrial boilers. The main gun on Titan has been firing beach scrap, debris, and spare bearings encased in wax out of recovered brass casing as no ammunition has been supplied to the 1st Wales since initial issue. Though since it has been recharged with the souls of the 4th Borderers it seems to have acquired some construct "quirks" and opts to wade into a melee and bash things with it's primary cannon more often than not these days. These un-authorized modification overseen by Major Davies has resulted in Y Ddraig Gwych falling out of the approved guidelines for operating such a war-engine in His Majesty's Army. It is this soldiers opinion this makes the Titan unfit for redeployment elsewhere and that Major Davies should face a disciplinary committee for the unauthorized alteration to a major war-engine.

Process: (A recipe for success)
I used a lot of new materials I never have before in this and I'd like to go over a brief overview of them.

1. Starting off I airbrush primed with black Stynylrez like I always do. Decided to forgo zenithial priming as we were gonna gently caress up Big Lad right hard. Airbrushed the AK chipping color then liberally sponged Vallejo Calvary Brown and Orange Brown over the whole thing. I then masked up everything that wasn't going to be painted armor plates with my favorite highly technical masking medium (silly putty) then hit it with the AK Worn Effects. I discovered it's important to mask where you spray that stuff because it dries crystal loving clear.

2. Next stop basecoating. I used the following cremes to get that white. I chipped some of the paint off here at this point as a test. The AK worn effects is very easy to use and will chip like that using a wet work brush you don't care about too much. It makes a hydrophobic layer or something? I don't know how it works. I just used the Scalecolor Green right outta the bottle without any shading becaaause...

3. ... I just discovered airbrushing using inks! I took a class where I was told I was using my Badger SOTAR all wrong trying to put regular Airbrush paint through it and that it's really designed for suuuuper thinned down medium like inks/candy coats. I adjusted the saturation and colors in the image with the inks a bit so it was more prevalant. I shaded the lower parts/shadow occulsion parts of the green armor plating with FW Payne's Gray ink which is just like loving magic for darkening things. I also used it to blacken the barrel of the gun and carbon the vents on the back.

Several coats of matte varnish went down between layers as "Save Points" since I was afraid I was loving various things up trying them for the first time.

4. Finally the water effects. Having never done water I've been very satisfied with before, I opted to try something different. I tried using a UV cured resin so I wouldn't have to mess with mixing 2 part resins and dealing with shrinkage/drying/etc. This stuff comes outta the bottle clear so I tinted with some teal ink. Hoo boy was there some learning process involved with this one. So I bought a little UV flashlight to go with it, since it says it cures under UV light in 3-5 minutes. I left that fucker on there for like an hour, but still it was tacky, took fingerprints etc. Long story short, I left it out in the sun for 30-40 mins and it finished completely hardening up, no muss no fuss.

For the tide, I used Woodland Scenic's Water Effect. It behaves just like it says on the bottle, it's a heavy gel that dries clear, drybrush white and boom instant water motion.

Claiming:
June - I don't know whether the weather will be nice
Stay awhile and listen
A recipe for success
The Daily Double (September - This is an Art Attack, October - Fight of the Century [a loser is you])

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

Oath Complete!

[Some awesome poo poo]

Hot drat dude, Mummy-slaan owns. I love your stuff! (Sorry stuff has been poo poo for you, glad you were still able to paint though)

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

:hist101: OATH COMPLETE :hist101:

Statues that you can walk past and ignore because they are totally not alive

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath these six (6) models. Mix of Games Workshop and Dark Age bits for my Morlock team in Zone Raiders
For July, let's see if we can get this Need 4 Speed thing done.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Oath Complete!

Claiming Feel the Burn :berninator:

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, oath the following for August: 1 Thornwind from Dark Age (Converted)

This month has been a real bitch schedule wise so only 1 miniature. Next month hopefully I can do more.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Proof on Need For Speed

Claiming Completion, Obligatory Conversion Month, and Need for Speed

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath 1 Lucius Mattheson from Wyrd Miniatures.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

Claiming:

Art Attack for freehand on cloak

Spic N Span:

and Faithful Replica:

By god I tried to do that damask/brocade pattern on his jacket for the freehand this month but gently caress that nightmare.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samonite, Oath The Folllowing For October:
A bunch of planes from GW's new game Aeronautica Imperialis that totally won't get dropped right away. :cripes:

3 dakka jet, 2 fighta bomma, 2 thunderbolt, 2 marauder

Cat Face Joe posted:

Aida Swanson, 28mm, Corvus Belli.
Our Lady of Perpetual Infiltration

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

Claiming: monthly challenge
We have a Winner - Ace markings on sides of the thunderbolts cockpit
A loser is you - Wing fire on the Ork Dakkajet and bullet holes among all the planes. Really none of them are looking all that great.

I was itching to paint something more colorful lately and these Ork planes really were just what I needed.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath a 1/35th Sascha The Welding Girl from Industria Mechanika

I did something super small last month, now I'm gonna do something big! (y'know for a figure scale)

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

goddamn doctor changed my meds now my insides feel all scrambled and I can't foscus a poo poo on painting.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

OATH COMPLETE... Ish... close enough.

So my plan was for the "You ain't from around here" to take this cheesecaky model and dirty her up. Mad max the poo poo out of her, instead of a War-Boy to make a War-Girl.

My plan to get that nice dusty zinc look was to paint her with a real rosy tone then use white and gray pigments to highten it to that look. Now I've used pigments before but never for this, so I got everything powdery and nice up to where I wanted and then dabbed some Pigment Fixer on and... Oh no... Aww gently caress that's not what I wanted at all! Here's how she looks now:

Totally washed out her face, ran and pooled and overflowed in all the crevices and lines, and even ate down to the bare paint in some areas, leaving spots that look like blisters or pooled paint ontop of the white layer, lost the face detail and... yeah. Kinda heartbreaking.

So yeah, I hosed this one up y'all. But you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If you decide to not give me credit for the completion I totally understand.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath 5 models of the Borg Squad from Postindustrial Game's Human Interface

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

OATH COMPLETE!

December - Through thick and thin
Thick: Got lots of fur trim and hair on the group.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Yeah 2020 let's do this!

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath a Ratcatchers Team from Steamforged Games Guildball

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Okay, trying this ain having passed through death and the flu and submitting a picture were my body's temperature is not over 100 degress F.

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath a Ratcatchers Team from Steamforged Games Guildball

Including ball, terrain piece, and goal marker

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

WIP Pictures:

Claiming monthly January - First, draw a circle and Get the Crystal for ball/goal/terrain markers.

I got a new camera for Christmas so no more phone pics for my completions!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath one 75mm Supremacist from Nexus by D-Verse

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

OATH COMPLETE

Claiming: Pattern for Success for the checkers on the pants

my second ever 75mm. DIdn't get quite the color variance I wanted but I restarted the skin twice so you gotta say it's good enough to be done sometime.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath this Sci-Fi Erza from Kingdom Death

... also drat Zark take care of yourself, we appreciate you doin this enough for us don't stress it. :)

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming the hand for shiny. Used a Moltow Liquid Chrome to get some extra shine. See detail:

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Holy moly, that looks amazing. What scale is that?

Thank you! With the working from home I had time without a commute to build a scenic base for her. I rarely get to stretch my building muscles.

She's a Kingdom Death miniature so like heroic-ish figure sized? ~32mm

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath THE EFFIGY OF 2020 (Dumpster Scatter terrain by Warsenal)

I would also like to throw my hat in the ring for Season 11 Judge if we're planning to do another one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

OATH COMPLETE

Capping off this season with a spirit of the new year, a bullet riddled burning dumpster.
Claiming Fight or Flight as it's terrain for any good ole wartorn environment.

And All Together Now!

Not a prolific output, but some good pieces. Not at all bad for a year in which I moved 1,000+ miles across country in a truck with all my hobby poo poo.

Postscript:

I just wanted to thank everyone here. Zark for continuing this thing on, the judges for taking their time, but most of all the rest of you for painting along side. I started the oath thread back in 2013. My roommate had commissioned me to paint a whole drat Eldar army and I figured the Oath thread was a good way to keep me honest about my paint output. Painting along the likes of such as Signal, SRM (CAM2D lol), Booley, Bachtere and just too many others to name really put my work in perspective for me. I decided at that point I wouldn't be back until I could really stand on my own. Since then I've bought 3 airbrushes, a lightbox, and a digital camera not wanting to only learn how to paint better, but present my works better.

I can honestly say that the Something Awful Oath Thread has changed my life for the better, from thinking of myself as a 'figure painter' to an 'artist.' Thank you all so much, and I'll see you again next month.

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 1, 2020