Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Thanks to the judges both from last season and this one, and thank you Zark for spending the time organizing all this and keeping on top of it. Last season was an absolute blast. Having the monthly deadline to finish models was a great motivation to get things done, and the challenges for each month served as good inspiration on how to tackle different models.

I'm still trying to decide how deep I want to dive into this season. The biggest thing holding me back is that I need to build a lot of repeats of what I built last season. More Dragoons, Skitarii, Dunecrawlers, Enginseers. This would make for a sort of dull Oath season.
On the other hand, I have a bunch of new Necromunda, Underworlds, and Forge World models I really want to build. I could try a 50/50 mix of old and new each month.

I'll look through my backlog and get an oath going this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for May a Sydonian Dragoon and eight Servo-automata. The Dragoon and Games Workshop and the Servo-automata are Forge World. I'm trying to up my game for model painting this season, so I hope to blast these out and get some addons going.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath addition: I oath an additional five Fulgurite Electro-priests for May. These are your standard 28mm scale Games Workshop models.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Another Oath addition: I oath one Corpuscarii Electro-Priest (GW, 28mm) for May. Have a free day today, so I plan on blasting this out in 24 hours for the Need 4 Speed achievement!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for May a Sydonian Dragoon and eight Servo-automata. The Dragoon and Games Workshop and the Servo-automata are Forge World. I'm trying to up my game for model painting this season, so I hope to blast these out and get some addons going.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath addition: I oath an additional five Fulgurite Electro-priests for May. These are your standard 28mm scale Games Workshop models.

Duct Tape posted:

Another Oath addition: I oath one Corpuscarii Electro-Priest (GW, 28mm) for May. Have a free day today, so I plan on blasting this out in 24 hours for the Need 4 Speed achievement!

Oaths Complete! Now that was a heck of a month of painting!

Claiming A Smooth Start for the clothing blends of almost-black in the shadows to bright red at the highlights.
Claiming Need 4 Speed, as this model was about 8 hours start to finish (though he was maybe 2-3 hours of actual painting. Love that Patriot 105 airbrush)

Claiming A Faithful Replica for that dragoon, which is using the same scheme as GW's official.

edit: Forgot about this one, but it's pretty obvious. Claiming Take One for the Team for both the squad of eight Servo-automata, and the six matching Electro-priests.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 29, 2019

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for June ten Grey Knights. All are 28mm models from Games Workshop. Was waiting to oath until the Contrast paints came out today, but now I need to rush to finish these guys within the next two weeks!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: May Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Galaspar

Each of these three is a rainbow of decay and chaos. Love it.

2nd Place (2pts): Grizzled Patriarch

This paint job looks so natural on this model that I wouldn't look twice seeing it running up the beach (likely because I'd be running away).

1st Place (3pts): Mikey Purp

This guy is just on point. The gorgeous water on the seaside base, grimy shiny (and colorshifting?) carapace, the riders each with their own blended scales, topped with a jewel that pops. Great stuff, not even mentioning the other models you oathed this month, which were also fantastic.

Bonus (1pts): Brock Samsonite

The ultra smooth blending on these cloaks make them look straight out of a Disney nightmare.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for June ten Grey Knights. All are 28mm models from Games Workshop. Was waiting to oath until the Contrast paints came out today, but now I need to rush to finish these guys within the next two weeks!

Oath Complete!

Claiming A Recipe for Success
First, the most prominent piece of these knights is their bluish armor.
Prime: Leadbelcher spray
Base: Grey Knights Steel. Seriously, Games Workshop released the aptly name paint this month.
Wash: Wash all over with Drakenhof Nightshade
Wash: Lightly wash all over with Nuln Oil
Edge Highlight: Grey Knights Steel
Rivet Highlight: Runefang Steel

The flat metal color of the bolters and handles is Leadbelcher washed with Nuln Oil. The swords and staves are Grey Knights Steel washed with Nuln Oil and drybrushed with Necron Compound. The brass accents are Brass Scorpion washed with Nuln Oil. The golden shoulderpads of the Justicars is Hashnut Copper and Nuln Oil. The red of the weapons is Korne Red and Nuln Oil, highlighted with Korne Red/Mephiston Red. The bright silvery metal of the banners and Justicars' arm shields and is Runefang Steel and Nuln Oil. The eyes are White Scar washed with the new Contrast paint, Aethermatic Blue, then the edges cleaned with a little Nuln Oil.

The base is primed black. Then using an airbrush, apply the following colors through a dryer sheet: Kantor Blue, then Skrag Brown, then White Scar. Wash with Nuln Oil. Then highlight the gold bits with Retributor Armor. Wash the crevices and gold with Agrax Earthshade. Paint the rim of the base black (I used Abaddon Black, but any black will do).

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Was camping for the first week this month, so only just got these guys assembled, magnetized, and primed.

I, Duct Tape, oath for July two Kastelan Robots and two Cybernetica Datasmiths from Games Workshop.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: June Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Mikey Purp

If HR Geiger went on a Stargate binge, this is about what would come out of it. Love the color choices, water effects, and the OSL is just great.

2nd Place (2pts): Zark the Damned

Though these stone men aren't covered in traditional model weathering, dirt and soot, but they've definitely seen eons passed and weathered the test of time. Love them!

1st Place (3pts): gameraMan

This looks straight out of an old, weathered cabin lost in the woods. The soot buildup is just :kiss: and the flames are spot on to boot.

Bonus (1pts): Grey Hunter

Bonus point goes to the muddiest boys of the month!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Was camping for the first week this month, so only just got these guys assembled, magnetized, and primed.

I, Duct Tape, oath for July two Kastelan Robots and two Cybernetica Datasmiths from Games Workshop.

Oath Complete!

Had a fairly busy month, so was only able to paint these four guys. However, I now have six Kastelan Robots fully painted and magnetized. Which mean that, baring weird Apocalypse shenanigans, I'll never need to paint a robot again! Admech army nearing completion!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for August four Custodes Guards and one Tech-Priest Enginseer, all from Games Workshop.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for August four Custodes Guards and one Tech-Priest Enginseer, all from Games Workshop.

Oath Complete! It took a while to nail down the color scheme I wanted for these Custodes, and once I finally settled on one then the bulk of the work was edge highlighting. Tons of work for some basic troop models, but I do love how they turned out.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: July Judgement :catdrugs:
Sorry for the delay, life stuff is awful and busy and awful. Getting that out of the way, judging this month was particularly difficult because of the excellent entries all around.

3rd Place (1pts): LazyAngel

The smooth blends, non-metalic-metals, and clean paint jobs make this one stand out. Great stuff!

2rd Place (2pts): Mikey Purp

These look like what you'd see if you were on a drug trip and took a break for a second, stronger drug trip. Incredibly vibrant colors that all work and blend together.

1rd Place (3pts): Brock Samsonite

Fantastic. The bloom from the flamer, the OSL on the rest of the model from it, and the OSL on neighboring models from the flamer make these guys look like a full team that belongs together, and not just individual models. The quality on all the rest of the model is top-notch as well.

Bonus (1pts): Ugleb

Bonus point for painting terrain, tokens, and bits and bobs. Something which I'm woefully behind on, and I respect anyone who spends quality time on them. Love the chaotic notes scrawled on the large open book!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for September 3 Kataphron Destroyers from Games Workshop.

This feel like a lazy pledge, as I did the exact same pledge last season, but this month is going to be stupidly busy for me and I want to oath with models I know won't take me much time. If my schedule frees up, then I'll do some oath additions.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition: Six Skitarii Rangers and Daedalosus the Technoarcheologist, all from Games Workshop.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: AugustJudgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Zark the Damned

I'd love to base an entire session of an RPG around this shipwreck. The extreme patina on the figurehead contrasted with the bright green moss makes this ship look like it has an interesting story behind it.

2nd Place (2pts): KingMob

The white-blue stands out starkly next to the natural wood, however the colors absolutely work together. Someone who knows more than me about color theory would be able to say why, but I can certainly say these guys look great!

1st Place (3pts): LazyAngel

Love this! The clean skintones, blends on the hair, clothing, and accessories, all work together to make these models look fantastically crisp.

Bonus (1pts): Doorknob Slobber

Bonus point for blends on the ghosts and clean lines for the leather straps!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for September 3 Kataphron Destroyers from Games Workshop.

This feel like a lazy pledge, as I did the exact same pledge last season, but this month is going to be stupidly busy for me and I want to oath with models I know won't take me much time. If my schedule frees up, then I'll do some oath additions.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition: Six Skitarii Rangers and Daedalosus the Technoarcheologist, all from Games Workshop.

Oath Complete!
Tons of Adeptus Mechanicus this month, but it will likely be the last of my admech for a while. I've finally built enough that I have a couple different army lists I can play around with.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: September Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Ashcans

I don't know precisely why I like this one so much, but I really like it. The color palette? The cool banner? The cloak that pops? All of it just works together, and it's great!

2nd Place (2pts): Brock Samsonite

The crisp clean lines on the clothing, excellent marbling on the base, cool pattern on the cloak. Top notch!

1st Place (3pts): gameraMan

I love me some good terrain, and that right there is some damned good terrain! Functional, aesthetically pleasing, all around good stuff.

The patina alone on this is worth a bonus point. Very nice!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for November five Acolyte Hybrids. 28mm scale GW models.
Wasn't able to oath anything last month as I was moving and prepping my house for sale. But fortunately that's more or less finished at this point. I'm painting a ton of Genestealer Cult as a favor for a friend, so hopefully I'll have some additions coming soon!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: OctoberJudgement :catdrugs:

A fantastic mixture of GW parts with crisp lines and a color palette that really works well. These guys look like they mean business!

2nd Place (2pts): Galaspar

I have never seen Foetid Bloat-drone painted like that before. It's like some weird dry-aged wood, mixed with industrial toxic waste. Great paint work that makes Nurgle's gift stand out in a unique way.

1st Place (3pts): LazyAngel

Hot drat do these guys look good. Everything from the details on the bases to the wispy hair and subtle gradients on the scale armor. Top notch!

I keep giving you these bonus points, cause you keep painting these awesome pieces. Not only do these look great, but they also look like fantastic terrain for gaming.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for November five Acolyte Hybrids. 28mm scale GW models.
Wasn't able to oath anything last month as I was moving and prepping my house for sale. But fortunately that's more or less finished at this point. I'm painting a ton of Genestealer Cult as a favor for a friend, so hopefully I'll have some additions coming soon!

Oath Complete!
Feels good to be back into the swing of things after having missed painting all of last month.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: November Judgement :catdrugs:

Not only does the model look great, but the base for it make it look like it plucked right off the battlefield.

2nd Place (2pts): Ashcans

Something about those teeth and eyes just drew my attention and sucked me right in. All the highlighting make this model just fantastic and I really love how it turned out!

1st Place (3pts): Brock Samsonite

The attention to detail on this is crazy. Everything from the subtle shadows on the skin down to the mismatched socks, it really makes the model come alive.

Bonus (1pts): Galaspar

These models have just about every color under the sun on them: blues, orange, yellow, green brown, purple, green. Absolutely chaotic, but they all work together to create a fantastic looking set of minis.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for January a Skorpius Disintegrator from GW and five miniatures from HeroForge. Sorry for the crap picture quality. I took the picture and started painting, only realizing the photo was garbage when I got back to my computer.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition: One Grey Knight from Games Workshop.
Only one model for this addition, but I really want to finish this guy up before the new Grey Knights book releases next week.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for January a Skorpius Disintegrator from GW and five miniatures from HeroForge. Sorry for the crap picture quality. I took the picture and started painting, only realizing the photo was garbage when I got back to my computer.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition: One Grey Knight from Games Workshop.
Only one model for this addition, but I really want to finish this guy up before the new Grey Knights book releases next week.

Oath Complete!
Had my lightbox set up for the first two pictures, but not for the last two, so we've got a variety of backgrounds.

Claiming First, draw a circle for these seven shots of the Grey Knight: https://imgur.com/a/mSpdUwe.
If you want to read about the paints I used, I took those shots for my section on the How To Paint Everything: Grey Knights article on Goonhammer: https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-grey-knights/

A couple pictures from the album/article:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: December Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): KingMob

All of these look great, but that Modok is just fantastic. The highlights and shadows look great, which is something that's tricky to do on small amount of skin, let alone on huge giant faces like that!

2nd Place (2pts): LazyAngel

I'm a sucker for terrain that feels like it was ripped straight out of a story, and that's exactly what I get from looking at this. Some sort of quiet, haunted desolation. Love it!

1st Place (3pts): Grizzled Patriarch

This is a really good looking bear. Really good. The fine details on the eyes, necklace, and ax look fantastic. And the base looks natural and fitting for the model. Good job!

Bonus (1pts): Cat Face Joe

The blending on the hair and weapon immediately stood out to me, and are absolutely worth a bonus point! Very, very nice!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for February one Tech-Priest Manipulus from Games Workshop. I intended to also oath 5 Electro-priests along with this guy, but jumped the gun and started painting them before I snapped a picture :(

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for February one Tech-Priest Manipulus from Games Workshop. I intended to also oath 5 Electro-priests along with this guy, but jumped the gun and started painting them before I snapped a picture :(

Oath Complete! Also upgraded my photography setup with a fancy black background.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for March one Tech-Priest Enginseer, ten Skitarii, one Terrax-Pattern Termite Assault Drill, and one Skaven Clanrat. All from GW.
Oathing tons this month cause I feel productive! Everything primed black and built using subassembles, so it's hard to pick out, but it's all there. Each larger piece of cork is one model.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for March one Tech-Priest Enginseer, ten Skitarii, one Terrax-Pattern Termite Assault Drill, and one Skaven Clanrat. All from GW.
Oathing tons this month cause I feel productive! Everything primed black and built using subassembles, so it's hard to pick out, but it's all there. Each larger piece of cork is one model.

Oath Complete!
Still learning this whole "how to take nice pictures" thing, but I'm really happy with how these turned out.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: JanuaryJudgement :catdrugs:

Sorry for being so late on this. I've been up to my neck in hobby stuff, finding a home for a stray cat, and dealing with health problems. Fortunately all of that's taken care of, so let's get down to brass tacks.

Love the bases, the color blending on the robe, the bleached wood look on the staff, and just everything about these!

2nd Place (2pts): with a rebel yell she QQd

The highlighting on all the red armor is what immediately impressed me, but as I look around, I can see even more great things about them. White clothing is always a pain for me, and those white shirts turned out great, as did the soil and grass on the bases.

These are just great. I especially love the vibrancy of the terrain pieces and all the intricate details on the skin and boils. Top notch!

Don't see nearly enough scifi minis, nor minis at this scale. I really love the choice of colors on these.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for April nineteen Skaven Clanrats. All from GW.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition: I oath two Rat Ogors, three Packmasters, and nine Giant Rats for April. All from GW

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition Part 2: I oath for April 10 Plague Monks and 1 Inquisitor Coteaz, all from GW. I had to sculpt the second bird head on the Inquisitor due to a miscast, so it's going to look a look doofy.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: February Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Brock Samsonite

The blending and lighting effects on this guy's skin is spot on. It really makes the model come alive.

2nd Place (2pts): Galaspar

The detail on this terrain is just great, all the way down to the tiny lettering on the scroll. It's great seeing this sort of dedication to terrain pieces.

1st Place (3pts): Ugleb

These cars look old, beat up, and ready for combat. Which is crazy with the tiny scale they are at. They're like Hot Wheels from Mad Max, and I love them!

Bonus (1pts): LazyAngel

A bonus point for a really unique model with a very smooth, consistent paint job, and some fantastic basing terrain!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: March Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Cat Face Joe

This color scheme, with the edge highlights all over makes the model stand out in a really fun almost-comic-book-ey way. I really like it.

2nd Place (2pts): ape!!!

The clean lines, varied colors of leather, fine highlights, and the great basing terrain really make these models look like their standing in the middle of a shootout. Great stuff!

This model and surrounding terrain is just incredible. The sickly weathering, highlights on the hear and lettering, box of random supplies, the lettering on the display. It's ridiculous.

Bonus (1pts): Zark the Damned

A bonus point for some great bases, and possibly the shiniest metal I've ever seen on a mini. You could almost use their pauldrons as mirrors!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition Part 3: I oath for April 6 more Plague Monks.

To be clear, this brings the total for this month to: 19 Clanrats, 16 Plague Monks, 9 Giant Rats, 3 Pack Masters, 2 Rat Ogors, and 1 Inquisitor Corteaz. A solid 50 models in a single month. I'm going for broke in April.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for April nineteen Skaven Clanrats. All from GW.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition: I oath two Rat Ogors, three Packmasters, and nine Giant Rats for April. All from GW

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition Part 2: I oath for April 10 Plague Monks and 1 Inquisitor Coteaz, all from GW. I had to sculpt the second bird head on the Inquisitor due to a miscast, so it's going to look a look doofy.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition Part 3: I oath for April 6 more Plague Monks.

To be clear, this brings the total for this month to: 19 Clanrats, 16 Plague Monks, 9 Giant Rats, 3 Pack Masters, 2 Rat Ogors, and 1 Inquisitor Corteaz. A solid 50 models in a single month. I'm going for broke in April.

Four-Part Oath Complete! The capstone month of 50 models is complete!

Forty nine Skaven:

And one Inquisitor Coteaz:

Because that all-together picture is Where's Waldo-level chaos, here they are broken out by box.

Plague Monks:

Clanrats:

Rat Ogors, Packmasters, and Giant Rats:

Also claiming The Daily Double for September - This is an Art Attack (the freehand lettering on the Plague Monk's scroll) and December - Through thick and thin (thick: each and every model has fur, thin: most models are carrying wooden shield or wooden staves).

Thank you everyone for putting together another solid year of Oathing. Everyone contributing, judging, and running this has given me fantastic motivation to continue painting, and I know I would be nowhere near as productive if I didn't have this thread serving as a reminder every month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Sorry for taking so long to get to this, but without further ado...

:catdrugs: April Judgement :catdrugs:

I've got one of these in a box upstairs, and I've been dreading to assemble and paint it as I know how time consuming it's going to be. The hazard stripes, and freehand patterns on the hull really stand out, good stuff!

2nd Place (2pts): LazyAngel

This is some really impressive work, especially on how realistic the rhino hide, sand, wood on the spear, and the emerald (jade?) spear are.

1st Place (3pts): with a rebel yell she QQd

This whole team turned out fantastically. The skintones, cloth, jewels, hair, everything looks great. The bases look great, make thematic sense, and give the models an even greater sense of coherency.

Bonus (1pts): Galaspar

Oh that's both so gross, and so well done!