Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ijyt posted:

I'm very glad this thread is continuing on into another year, one of the main reasons I even got back into this hobby in the first place.

Same here, it's the main thing that keeps me painting, even at my glacial pace. Thanks for continuing it another year, I'll be back with an oath for this month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, Oath this Reaper Bones Eldritch column for May

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

My octopus friend is in the process of camouflaging himself to his perch:

The pictures aren't great because I still haven't set up any sort of proper photobooth. :v: I am claiming A smooth start for the color change across his legs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Bones Frost Giant Raider for June

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh wow, I think this is the first time I've been mentioned by multiple judges for a month. :aaa: Thanks a lot, I had a lot of fun painting the octopus, but ended up going back over the gradient several times trying to get it right. Glad the extra time and effort paid off!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I am claiming the monthly for the weathering on her cape and the snow on the base (let me know if this needs a better picture, it's a little washed out)

First time painting Bones without a primer, and also a much bigger figure than I normally work on, so some learning this month. I also had to rig a new photo setup because my white screen was not working for the colors here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

Oath Complete!

This was a tough month for me due to real life stuff going on and also being too sick to paint for almost an entire week. I might go back and add some finishing touches to the base later on (a little more dry brushing, maybe make the waves higher), but I was leaving for vacation and I'm happy with how he came out for now. Claiming heavy damage for the weathered wraps and the general mummification of the dude.

I was phone-posting before, so I wanted to come back and say that this guy looks great! As a lapsed Lizardmen player I love the aesthetic of the Slann, and you really did a good job on this. The spectral glow is really well done!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Bones Dwarf-with-pig and one GW Orc Raider-with-pig for July

They're pig pals!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Galaspar posted:

I think mine is missing too

Same here!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

Going to be honest, although I love both of these models I struggled with painting them, I went through too many iterations of painting the pigs and then couldn't get the torch to come together properly (it looks better in person but still not great). Frustrating! But hey they're done, and I am claiming Feel the Burn for the lackluster torch.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 1 ork Deffkopta for August

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I am claiming Obligatory Conversion for the modifications of the rotor (four blades to three) and switching the Rokkits on the base model to Shootas.

I literally just finished so I'm stuck with mediocre last-minute photography. :v:

Flash makes the contrasts crazy extreme, but there was no other way to get a decent look at the pilot under everything else.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath a GW Sisters of Battle Icon Bearer for September

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I am claiming the monthly Art Attack for the freehand on the banner. I had bigger plans and had to scale them down to fit my skills :v: I should maybe invest in some decals for the future.

Closeup of the banner, which kind of makes me want to cry. The actual thing is like 3/8" x 3/4" so it looks much better in person!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 2 Reaper Bones ...zombie hunters?

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 4, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I had a hard time getting anything done besides halloween costumes for kids, but here we are! I am claiming we have a winner for the trophy head being carried by the hunter.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Beholder Eyeball Monster for November

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Second Place, 2 points:  Ashcans 

I must be on a heraldry kick this month, because this guy's banner really caught my eye. The rest of the miniature is also very well-executed; nice linework and blending on the tabard, for example.

Electric Hobo posted:

Bonus, 1 point: Ashcans

Nice banner. The motive is clear and the color choice is good.

I missed these before, so I wanted to say thank you! I started with some crazy aspirations for the banner and then had to scale them down to match my skill and size offerred, so I'm really happy it still panned out into something appealing and effective. I appreciate it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

Finished this guy up and managed to get some pictures before the family gathering:

I am claiming You ain't from around here, as this guys color scheme is inspired by another universe.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Bones Griffin for December

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

My promise for the new year is getting a decent photo setup because winging it in my kitchen with my phone is not a good trend.

I was looking up pictures for inspiration before painting my griffin and thought that a red-shouldered hawk looked awesome. I forgot that I would have to actually paint the super cool wing patterning onto my miniature, so spent a ton of time trying to get the striping/dappling on before giving up at the current incarnation. My wife is on orders to throw this at me the next time I think that stripes/spots/dapples is a good paint idea (excluding Harlequins, where it is required)

Claiming the monthly as this guy has both fur and feathers!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Duct Tape posted:

2nd Place (2pts): Ashcans
Something about those teeth and eyes just drew my attention and sucked me right in. All the highlighting make this model just fantastic and I really love how it turned out!
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

KingMob posted:

Oath Complete!

Gosh, these are amazingly clean and well done, I love them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this Reaper Berserker Dwarf Jester for January

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

I am going to link these instead of embedding them because the bezerker is naked and I don't want my carefully painted dwarf butt getting anyone in trouble somehow. Don't worry, his beard saves us from full-frontal action.

https://i.imgur.com/c7Mw9NQl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CP4gvIHl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/95FMhjcl.jpg

Not claiming the monthly challenge because I only took one process photo and then completely forgot about doing any others. Whoops!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 3 Ork aspiring Kommandos for February.

Working on turning AoBR boyz into various other mobs, going to figure out what it takes to make some into kommandos. I figure some backpacks, grenades, and slugga mods may be enough.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I had a lot of crap happen this month so I didn't put the time into these guys I had hoped, but they're done:

I am claiming the monthly their (admittedly garish) camouflage patterning!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath Inquisitor Greyfax for March

Edit: 28mm GW miniature for Warhammer 40k

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath complete!

I am claiming the monthly shiny theme for all the silver and gold armor here. Once again frustrated by my photography and, more so, how hard it is to paint faces. >: [ Fortunately her hat hides most of the damage in person and she looks pretty good alongside my Sisters!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Holy moly, that looks amazing. What scale is that?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Brock Samsonite posted:

Thank you! With the working from home I had time without a commute to build a scenic base for her. I rarely get to stretch my building muscles.

She's a Kingdom Death miniature so like heroic-ish figure sized? ~32mm

Oh wow, from the detail I was guessing it was around 75mm like your last month. At 32mm that's really impressive work! I am super envious of the face, all mine end up somewhere between looking like a mike myers mask and a clown.

The scenic base is awesome too, I love the details like the tubing and the display panel, and the highlights on the signage are great.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Queen of Hell for April.

I dunno what scale this is, I guess 54mm or about? :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I wasn't really sure how to approach this model, because I kind of didn't want to go with a stereotypical devil look, so I threw caution to the wind and sourced a color scheme from my kids (with some fine tuning). Initially I thought it was bananas, but went ahead with it because this doesn't have to match/coordinate anything and I figured it would be interesting to try something different. Turned out a lot better than I anticipated and I am actually really happy with it! Also, sorely tempted to paint way more large-scale miniatures because this is the first time in ages/ever I've painted a face I was satisfied with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Brock Samsonite posted:

Postscript:[/u][/i]
I just wanted to thank everyone here. Zark for continuing this thing on, the judges for taking their time, but most of all the rest of you for painting along side. I started the oath thread back in 2013. My roommate had commissioned me to paint a whole drat Eldar army and I figured the Oath thread was a good way to keep me honest about my paint output. Painting along the likes of such as Signal, SRM (CAM2D lol), Booley, Bachtere and just too many others to name really put my work in perspective for me. I decided at that point I wouldn't be back until I could really stand on my own. Since then I've bought 3 airbrushes, a lightbox, and a digital camera not wanting to only learn how to paint better, but present my works better.

I can honestly say that the Something Awful Oath Thread has changed my life for the better, from thinking of myself as a 'figure painter' to an 'artist.' Thank you all so much, and I'll see you again next month.
Thank you for expressing this, it's a really great sentiment. I don't paint much any more due to all the stuff in my life going on, but I wouldn't paint at all without this thread. So thanks to Zark and the judges, everyone who participates, and I am glad to join up again for the next round!