Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think I found some Action Replay codes that would activate the exclusive events back when I played this game. If you want, I could try to find them for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think I found some Action Replay codes that would activate the exclusive events back when I played this game. If you want, I could try to find them for you.

I'm guessing he's going to do it all in one swoop in a later update

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ohhh, I kept reading that as "There's no way to do this content. Ah well."

Also, I do like how Charon's just like "I'm not going to challenge you to a Pokemon battle and I'm just going to keep doing my thing. What are you gonna do about it?" And then the player can do nothing as he walks off. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 2, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Also, I do like how Charon's just like "I'm not going to challenge you to a Pokemon battle and I'm just going to keep doing my thing. What are you gonna do about it?" And then the player can do nothing as he walks off. :allears:

Charon is such a poo poo, it's great. His dub voice is also perfect for just the kind of guy he is

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I don't know what kind of game altering tech is being used here, but editing saves to add mystery gifts to give event-triggering items shouldn't be too hard.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's technically a way to do this again without action replay stuff but it's very fiddly.

Someone set up their own Mystery Gift server that sends all special event thingies that were ever created out in a random order. To connect to it you have to fiddle with your DS settings, change the DNS address (so the game thinks that fan server is an official Nintendo thing) and hope it will connect because apparently it's tricky to get it working. But once you do, every time you ask for a Mystery Gift over wifi it'll send you a random one from the pool. Including special legendary event items.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 2, 2019

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah I'll be using AR codes like always, but it's cool there's "legit" methods of doing it.

As well as... other ways I'll be showing off at the end.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's technically a way to do this again without action replay stuff but it's very fiddly.

Someone set up their own Mystery Gift server that sends all special event thingies that were ever created out in a random order. To connect to it you have to fiddle with your DS settings, change the DNS address (so the game thinks that fan server is an official Nintendo thing) and hope it will connect because apparently it's tricky to get it working. But once you do, every time you ask for a Mystery Gift over wifi it'll send you a random one from the pool. Including special legendary event items.
Fun fact: you can't get those items on Diamond/Pearl games without hacking, because nintendo never actually released any of the special key items they made until Platinum. (and even then, the events were over WiFi, and gen 4 wifi can't connect to anything encrypted beyond WEP, which was already outdated when D/P were released :v:)

I know this because I used the tweaking glitch on my copy of Pearl to warp into the Shaymin area, and the shaymin I caught from that is forever marooned on my Black 2 save file, because Pokebank won't take it. :negative:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 31: Stark Raving Plan

Stark Mountain

Ah poo poo, drat he runs fast for an old guy. It's so hot in here. Oh yeah, the item in the lower right corner in a PP Up.

But after a bit of preamble, we're here in the main room. Let's have a gander at the size of it. Yeahhhhhhhh. But wait, there's more!

...what?! Team Galactic's here? Gotcha! Let's team up and go together.

We have the final partner, though only Cheryl is actually mandatory, which is important in a little bit. And remember how we couldn't Surf with Marley? Well it's the same here, no Rock Climb, but Strength and Rock Smash are okay. So if you thought this place wasn't so bad since it was pretty easy getting through it, look again and work out a path without those nice little shortcuts.

Woo a Claydol, what a riveting and strong partner. There's a couple Pokemon to catch, but it's always tricky when you've got an aggressive AI.

Though again, this is the rarer encounter, I was very surprised to find two at once. Still need the big boy.

The path we need to take is up and then to the left, so let's ignore all that and explore! No bike either, so it does take a fair while to get from one side to the other. This was an interesting idea, but I'm glad they never really did something like it again. Or at least, broke it up, imagine if Castelia or Lumiose was one large single area?

Burn, baby, burn, disco inferno...

This is where I raised my Pokemon. I can't stand the thought of anyone making a mess of place. Especially not those weird Team Galactic goons!

There's no law that says I have to be tough or anything, but losing isn't fair to my Pokemon. After all, they try so hard for me. I think it's my responsibility as a Trainer to recognize their hard work.

My big brother's one of the Elite Four. So, of course it's only normal that I'd be better than ordinary folks. But that's not what I want. I want to be tough on my own terms. It wouldn't be fair to the Pokemon that chose to be with me.

It might be cool being a Gym Leader or one of the Elite Four... but, then again, it sounds like it'd be a lot of hard work.

I knew that I would have a wonderful encounter here today.

Never change, AI.

Psychic power is a mystery that defies explanation. But if everything could be explained, it would be a boring world.

Is my sense of premonition nothing to write home about?

Boy was this a bad hidden item to miss...

Alright, now I don't have to worry about- ah forget it.

They all have tricks up their sleeves!

We're all good to go! We just have to battle now!

The Pokemon you'll meet here won't make it easy for you to move onward.

We came completely unprepared for this little adventure...

It's really not worth picking everything up due to the long journeys into deep trenches you need to take, but here we are.

Don't be a copycat.

You may find it odd, but the stink of sulfur from the volcanic gas is what draws me here.

The mythical Pokemon that sleeps deep in the volcano... could it be a dragon Pokemon?

There's nothing in the top right corner, so back down we go.

Oh yeah, since this is one of the last areas of the game, these are the last regular trainers in the game. There was a good amount, kept up with the level curve and didn't infest the routes like Emerald did. Seriously, 500 loving regular trainers...

Oh poo poo they're getting high enough in level to get these dangerous moves now. Or, well, as a Shroomish, so it must've recently evolved.

The HM Fly isn't useful inside caves. It's such a shame.

Even though my team could break bricks and shatter boulders, they failed to dent your spirits!

Alright, time to walk out of this long valley and back to where the trainers were to continue. I really hope you brought repels.

Alright, uh, not this way. We've gotta go around.

Teach me if you will!

You've come all this way for Pokemon? You must be dedicated.

Rude, but I ignored the Jumpluff until the end, since it really wasn't doing anything.

Perhaps there is no meaning to victory, but still I will battle! That is what makes me a Trainer!

The Pokemon here must battle each other all the time. That must be why they are so strong in this area.

Ehhhh, whatever.

And hidden here is the final plate of the game. Yeah this is the only postgame one for some reason, but that's all 16! You can also obtain them once more in the Underground, but you only really need the one.

GET IT?!

Still prefer Wood Hammer.

For me, time is the fabric woven by memories, one after another...

For me, space is where memories are made...

Alright, let's start properly heading to our destination. You've been following along, right? Right???

It took a long time to get here. We're not going to lose again!

I came here after winning my way through the Battle Tower!

After most of the game... it really is nice having coverage on Radium.

You can level all you want, but that won't guarantee you any wins. But we keep trying to get better. That's what makes us Trainers.

Train more at the Battle Tower... that's what I'll do.

Please tell me this is the last hidden evolutionary item.

We'll have to go around, so here's the last two regular trainers!

So yeah, nothing much to it. Oh well.

My Pokemon seem to like it here a lot.

I love seeing people who love Pokemon more than anything!

gently caress you game.

"This is it. No fooling around!"

But he won't join me. So foolish of him! So very foolish of the rest of them! Throwing away Team Galactic! After all te effort we took as a team to make it grow... that power could have made us rich beyond imagination. But, enough of that. The Magma Stone will be mine.

Hey, you! Team Galactic! What's going on here?!

I like seeing children try their best, but too bad for you--you're too late. With this Magma Stone I will let awaken the legendary HEATRAN! I will control the volcano's eruptions to extort money by the millions! Fear me! For I am Charon! The boss of the reborn Team Galactic!

No! The Magma Stone! What?! What is going on?!

Looker Returns!

Disguising myself as a boulder for stakeout was not easy! Now, old-timer, the International Police cordially requests your cooperation. I am sure you have much to tell us about the new Team Galactic. With Cyrus, Mars, and Jupiter gone, you are all that is left.

Hey! It's the International Police!

Yeah! It's the International Police all right! There's only one thing to be done!

...uh, International Police? What are you saying? I know nothing! A new Team Galactic? Extorting with HEATRAN? Merely the blathering of this harmless old man! All said in jest! Besides, among Team Galactic's Commanders, I was the most junior...

You can tell us all about it. We have plenty of time. Oh, no, no. No resisting arrest. You can't win three-on-one, no? OK, Officers, over here, if you will.

Quickly, take him somewhere cool. Yes, the cooler will do! Hikari! And you, unfamiliar boy! I wish to say something. First, it is too hot! Let us exit this environment!

Route 227 Night

...gweh! Gah! Geff! Bleah! I have inhaled the volcanic ash by the lungful! Now, you two. This is what they were after. The Magma Stone. Moving this is said to awaken the Pokemon HEATRAN. The old tales say that its awakening, it will make Stark Mountain erupt. ...but I have moved it. It is here. Will this cause the eruption?!

Hey, don't sweat it, stranger. Give me that Magma Stone. I'll go put it back for you.

Hikari, I should tell you why I have arrived here. After we parted at the Mt. Coronet, I investigated their hideout. I uncovered Charon's plot, which led me to a stakeout of this place. That Charon is now securely within our custody. It is safe to say the Team Galactic is a threat no longer. That being said, it looks like my work here is finally finished.

Hey, stranger! I put the Magma Stone where it belongs. It'll be OK now. HEATRAN won't wake up. Probably. But, hey, Hikari! You're an amazing Trainer! Swing by my place later. It's in the Survival Area. Be seeing you, stranger, Hikari! Bye-bye!

"The more wonderful the meeting, the sadder the parting." That is a quote I have heard many years ago in a foreign land. Its meaning... I understand it better now. Farewell, Hikari, my friend! Long may you cherish Pokemon!

And that's farewell to Looker. When will we next see him, who knows, perhaps it'll be very soon indeed.

Survival Area Night

Me? You even need to ask? Piling up the wins at the Battle Tower! Huh? My longest winning streak? What, you're going to grill me now?

Well, my young friend, you're always welcome here from now on! This is a private club for only Sinnoh's Gym Leaders, or those vouched for by those selfsame Gym Leaders. It's a place where the best seek to better themselves.

Welcome to the Battleground! What should we talk about today? Ah, I know. Let me tell you about the volcano named Stark Mountain. The volcano dates back to when Sinnoh was made by the melding of time and space. Fiery lava spilled out and pooled, then it became a Pokemon. It's said the Magma Stone was used to keep the Pokemon pinned down. It kept the Pokemon from rampaging and the volcano from erupting.

You're supposed to be introduced by a Gym Leader, but you're special. Well, I'm off to the Battle Frontier. I feel like seeing how far I can go up the Tower.

Sunyshore City Night

The Battleground is a pretty cool place after all the postgame story is done with, since it's where you can rematch Gym Leaders! Uh, I know we're not doing that here, or indeed at all, they all have six Pokemon from a variety of regions, it's cool, but we don't need to fight them, and like with the rematches in HGSS, like hell I'm gonna cover them all. But there are 5 very unique trainers we can find there, but while we're moving time forward to fight all five, let's do some side things.

It's time to get going on a brand-new week. Is there a story that might help me perk up? Maybe a story about getting splashed with water...

We can get a daily ribbon from Julia, if you remember, by selecting one specific thing from the easy chat system to fill in the blank. And yes these 7 ribbons are in all future games because Game Freak are loving insane. I'll be randomly slamming the directional keys and choose whatever I land on, it'll be fun, please don't leave!!!

That sounds refreshing! It's made me feel awake! Thank you! Please give this to your Pokemon.

The first date I went on with my husband was on Tuesday, too. I remember my heart thumping like I was scared, and I guess I was. Do you know any story that would scare me like that? Like something that jumps out from hiding? One mean FLAME BODY that bursts out from a closet? Yikes! That would be scary!

This dress that my husband for me is too tight now... this makes me feel sad... misery does love company. Something that would make me cry? A tearful BUDEW... ... sniffle... that is so sad... I feel desolate, even!

My favorite magazine comes out today. I'd better go buy it quick! Do you have a story about being absentminded? Like getting your shoes backward? The WAIL had shoes on the wrong feet? ...ahahaha! That is so silly! How is it possible to be that absentminded?

It worked stupendously hard, didn't it? As its reward, please give it this Effort Ribbon.

Since we're in the area, and I have to walk past this place every time I go back and forth between the Battleground and Julia, might as well get another ribbon for Etrian, since we should have 255 EVs, even without Pokerus!

My meager cooking repertoire is about to run out! Do you know a story that would help me get my thoughts in order? Like a story about numbers adding up perfectly? You went KARATE CHOP shopping and paid $777 including tax? That is a nice number to ring up. It just has a good look to it. It sure helped clear my head!

I'm feeling lazy and sleepy... I wish I had a pillow... but what kind of a pillow? TAIL GLOW snuggle pillow... ... it... it surprisingly may give me a good night's sleep! I wonder if I can buy one somewhere.

When I was younger, I remember that every day was like an adventure. It was always fun. I loved the people around me... I was happy. Oh, but I'm happy now, too. I love my life with my husband. It's just a different kind of happy. So, what makes you happy? You love MAIL? ... ufufu... that says something about you. It puts a smile on my face!

And there we go, every ribbon you can obtain without doing a single contest! Since it's exactly 10 ribbons, you can enter Resort Gorgeous no problem, it's very nice. And yeah, I love collecting mail... god you sure have one hell of a Pokemon completionist LPer, huh.

Please! Battle with Mira! Hikari will be shocked by Mira!

So along with all the Gym Leaders, we have the 5 weirdos we met along the way, if we did their sidequest, of course. You could meet them in every Gen 4 game as partners for Multi Battles in the Battle Tower, even in HGSS, but this is the only game we can battle them. Let's go.

Trainer Battle

Mira/Miru
From 밀 mil (Korean for wheat) and meal (oatmeal).

This is around the levels you'll be expecting for each trainer in the Battleground. Each of the 5 peeps are collectively referred to as the Stat Trainers, as they excel in a specific one, except for SpDef. You can probably guess what Mira excels in, OW.

Still, there's not much to mention, I'm just using them for a few levels for later things, since we've got a few updates left, even now! So I'm just throwing mons at other mons and abusing Revival Herbs. God I become such a pansy when the games get even slightly difficult.

Hikari, you are always with your Pokemon. That's how you got to be so strong. Mira is beginning to understand!

Two... never mind that, let's do this! I can feel my Pokemon shivering inside their Poke Balls! It's out of anticipation, not fear!

Buck/Baku
From buckwheat, or from 麦 baku (wheat) and 爆破 bakuha (explosion)

Buck gets the defenses to himself, thank god. Still, OHKOing a Shuckle is another thing to add to Skulletor's achivements, loving hell.

Still, just cause he doesn't do too much damage don't mean you can sleep.

Fweh! Too much! I guess I'll better my team on Stark Mountain!

Come on game, work with me here.

Time for some thicc. I was referring to the HP numbers, honestly internet.

Cheryl/Momi
From, uh, cereal? Cherries? Who knows man, and 籾 momi (unhulled rice).

Man I am tired of HP scrolling. Still, got some pretty mean stuff if you can't kill them.

Worth it.

Thank you, Hikari! Thanks to you, my adorable Pokemon became a little tougher.

If it's all right with you, I'd like to challenge you to a battle right now. We're pulling out all the stops to put your Pokemon down.

Riley/Gen
From rye and Riolu, and 玄米 genmai (brown rice)

Like Mira, Riley focuses on an attacking stat, so is super scary. Still, always have a terrifying 4x weak to Ice answer, it pops up more than you'd think.

Still, if you can survive an attack, you should be golden. I can also cheese things because Nack and Pop are so drat fast.

It's great how Trainers can interact. If I weren't on Iron Island then... if you hadn't arrived on Iron Island then... perhaps we would have never met. Or, would we have met elsewhere?

Since I've been jumping across all kinds of days, might as well rematch Barry, he's up for fighting on the weekends.

Rival Battle

What a surprise. Barry's team is identical to when we last faced him, with three exceptions: his Heracross has Megahorn, Torterra has Leech Seed and Empoleon has Hydro Pump and Drill Peck.

Alright, we finally got a kill, sheesh. Nothing massively crazy, we've faced this team many times before, but the more times you beat the Elite Four, the stronger he becomes.

Worth it. Well since it keeps happening, it's probably not. After 10 Elite Four rematches, Barry's team gains 10 levels, with another 10 levels after 20 Elite Four rematches. Obviously I don't fancy doing that since nothing else changes.

Ah this bug is very scary plz stop

Since Barry's starter gains 20 levels, it becomes the highest level trainer mon you face in the series... that was then quickly surpassed by Red's Pikachu in HGSS, but hey, it's still an achievement.

If I ever fight another Infernape again, it'll be too soon.

It's all right, though. Keep getting tougher, Hikari. The more you do, the tougher my Pokemon and I get, too. There's no end to Pokemon. That's what I'm saying, Hikari!

True to form, Marley took FOREVER to finally show up!

Marley/Mai
From barley and 米 mai (rice).

Speed is always a pain to go up against, but we also have our own speed.

As a bonus, ours even survives an attack or two!

Cool.

...you're so strong. It makes me feel happy. ...I don't know why. This is a strange feeling...

We're done with all that, time to buy some more Pokeballs. And... IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!! When you look through the Croagunk board, there's a small chance a Croagunk will walk past and acknowledge you. Since it's a quick way to buy Dusk and Quick Balls, as well as visit the Move Relearner, I go to Pastoria pretty frequently, and I've been trying to trigger this the entire time!!! Alright, there's only a few stationary legends, so this won't take too long, this is a wildly unfocused update as it is.

Pixie Battle

I've been ignoring these two for long enough. What's that? There's a third one? Ehhh, I'll go for a walk later, little busy.

This is the main reason I got Discharge, gotta status these arseholes somehow.

Depending on how early you try to catch it, if Azelf gets enough buffs, you might as well restart, it will loving destroy you.

Not too bad, but definitely a pain. Still, definitely get it out of the way first.

Thankfully Uxie is much bulkier so I don't have to worry about killing it with Discharge.

Still, due to how passive it is, you can huck balls with little trouble, but like all these 3 catch rate legendaries, we're in here for the long-

That was the first ball. Okay.

Stark Mountain

There's two very important legendaries to catch, but they deserve the end of the update. Well, the near end, eh whatever.

Man this place is wearing thin now, please tell me we're nearly done.

One thing I didn't really think about, considering how many massive caves are in this game, we don't pick up a lot of Escape Ropes. Weird, right?

Legendary Battle

Huh, been a while since we've seen one of these. Since we saw every Pokemon for the Sinnoh Dex, it's not updated for the various postgame legendaries, making 8 Pokemon the only ones without a regional number, so I've just put one in since the ordering is basically the same anyway.

We're way past the usefulness of anything in the main story, since we've done basically everything in the game, though of course there's still plenty left to go over, so how do these powerful Pokemon hold up against the battle facilities, or fighting friends? Well Heatran has a great typing, great defenses and resistances, strong SpAtk and a host of moves to use it with. Its signature, Magma Storm, is the best trapping move in the series, mainly because the rest of them are completely poo poo, but it learns it at NINETY SIX, so Lava Plume or Fire Blast might be some more appealing options. It's a rare offensive Steel type with Flash Cannon, and you know something's good if it learns Stone Edge and Earth Power by level up. If you're really lucky and have a Ranger 3 savefile lying around, then you can also send over an Eruption Heatran, so long as you got the event within the initial timeframe.

Anyway, this is all to say that Heatran is very, very good indeed. Its weaknesses are very crippling, granted, but its move variety and usefulness as a nice wall that also bites back is a great combination, since Stealth Rock, Toxic, Solarbeam, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, even Explosion, are all excellent options to keep the surprises coming. It can even go physical with Iron Head, Fire Fang, Earthquake and Bug Bite, and it can work, but ehhhhhh, you know what it's here for, and I'm loving it.

Fun fact, Heatran is the only legendary with an actual gender ratio. Still can't breed, but weird, right? Anyway, it'll definitely leave its mark, so hopefully it doesn't blast us with lava too much, get comfy everyone, we're gonna be-

...f-first ball again?! Did I leave the instant catch cheat on? No? The gently caress?

I did some research of my own since that spot of trouble last time. Mt. Coronet's acting up had me very concerned, too. Well, this is what I found in the shrine. It's a book, and it's quite old. Let me read a bit for you. "The bearer of the shining Adamant Orb summons DIALGA to the Spear Pillar. The guardian Pokemon of time will answer the call. The bearer of the shining Lustrous Orb summons PALKIA to the Spear Pillar. The Pokemon that binds the spatial dimensions will answer the call." It seems the people of long ago met both DIALGA and PALKIA, the Pokemon of time and space.

Cool story, I just climbed a mountain again. For the last time. Right? Yeah. Yeah. Last time.

Time and Space Battle

"It's DIALGA!"

About time we talked about these two. It's time to die, as Dialga is a very scary opponent, with monster offenses and an incredible typing in the Dragon infested upper echalons of competitive. It learns something every 10 levels until HGSS made its movepool half the requirements and it gets some real good stuff to pair with its incredible SpAtk, like Earth Power, Flash Cannon and Aura Sphere. Roar of Time is flashy, but cooldown turns are terrible, so Draco Meteor is much better for a quick nuke. Of course, with those defenses, Dragon Pulse is better for sticking around for the long haul, and it has some other crazy moves like Fire Blast, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, as well as Toxic, Stealth Rock and Trick Room. Don't sleep on its crazy Atk stat either, letting it rock Outrage, Stone Edge and Shadow Claw, as well as Metal Burst shenanigans, let's not talk about Iron Tail. While Spd is very important, Dialga shows it's not the end of a Pokemon's use, it can be terrifying regardless.

Well we'll have to paralyze it in a moment, it's kinda kicking my rear end.

Thankfully, GF had the great idea of making the boxart legendaries much easier to catch, so kids didn't have a Vietnam moment like they did with Groudon and Kyogre. You might say it's casualization, I say gently caress 3 catch rate.

Which portal appears in Spear Pillar depends on which order the orbs are in in the bag. God I hate scrolling down here so much.

"It's PALKIA!"

No space for anything else, Palkia is remarkably similar, trading in Def for SpDef and HP for Spd, being a more consistent Dialga with a slightly worse typing. Spacial Rend is one of the best moves in the series, very easy to spam and crit with, you almost don't need anything else. But abusing the rain with STAB Hydro Pump is never a bad thing, though it didn't learn that until HGSS for whatever reason. It learns basically everything that Dialga does, so it too can Fire Blast and even go for more consistent Surf, as well as Avalanche if you're feeling sassy and physical, along with Outrage, Stone Edge and Brick Break, let's not talk about Aqua Tail. Those extra 10 Spd points do put in a lot of work, though it doesn't have the survivability of Dialga due to its Dragon weakness and lack of resistances, but when you're tearing a new Rend into your opponent, does that really matter? There's just no sleeping on these two terrifying threats, with each being destructive in their own way.

Radium is not having a good day.

Phew, that sure was an ending of legendary proportions. Now to end the update by metting two legendary people.

I have decided to use the opportunity of being here in Sinnoh. I am therefore trying to teach moves to Pokemon that I have captured. Also, if I have nothing to do, it means the world, it is at peace. ...ack. My streak is broken.

Oh god it's nerd time. In the next post, boy is this getting too long already.

And next time, I suppose we're ready to end this LP? Probably, but there's still plenty to do until that point!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mini Notes 06: Talking Talking Cynthia

The light in the center represents either DIALGA or PALKIA appearing at the Spear Pillar. The three lights around it were thought to be UXIE, MESPRIT, and AZELF.

But, then, I realized that there may be another way of interpreting this. Could this triangle of lights actually represent a different trio? Could they be DIALGA, PALKIA, and GIRATINA instead? And the large light at their center. Does it represent something else? Could it be what created this world of ours?

Thank you for listening to my theory. Do you know of the ancient Plates they find all over Sinnoh? One of them had this engraved on it. "Two beings of time and space set free from the Original One." I think this quote, too, points to the presence of another Pokemon. A Pokemon even more powerful than DIALGA or PALKIA. Does that sound plausible to you? I'm not quite sure how GIRATINA fits into this scheme of things, but... it's said that in the Distortion World, neither time nor space were stable. I think that tells us something about GIRATINA, the only Pokémon there. It must have been as powerful as DIALGA and PALKIA, the rulers of time and space. In some way, though, GIRATINA has to have a power opposite of theirs.

A long time ago, I wonder what sort of person painted this? DIALGA's Roar of Time... PALKIA's Spacial Rend... to the people back then, those Pokemon really must have appeared to rule over time and space. Seeing them must have shaken the people to their very core. This painting represents those feelings of awe, wonder, and everything else. It passed that memory to countless people, eventually becoming a myth... that's what I believe as a researcher of myths. I think I let myself get carried away and talked for far too long.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Cynthia being a big ol nerd is the best part of these games

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I never knew that about the Croagunk by the notice board! Cool.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
DPPt weren't very good at exposition, were they?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Leraika posted:

DPPt weren't very good at exposition, were they?

DP probably didn't have enough exposition
Platinum has a bunch of exposition (some of it exclusive to events!), probably in response to DP, but pretty bad at dumping it out. Cyrus & Cynthia really know how to just yammer on, huh?

That said I really like Cynthia's lore dump here. It's nice ot have an in-universe researcher talk about what these things might mean (and thus, because it is a video game, be about right on the money). The thing about how Dialga & Palkia are just incredibly strong otherworldly beings that were interpreted as actual deities, in particular, always stuck with me.

It even pairs nicely with the people of Stark Mountain thinking removing the magma stone would cause heatran to awaken and erupt the volcano. But all it did was wake up heatran and it's just this weird strong steel/fire salamander that could probably cause a volcano to erupt but it's just an animal at the end of the day.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Imagine being such a terrible Pokemon villain that you actually get arrested by the police. Even Archer wasn't that much of a screw up. :v:

:confused:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 13, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Cynthia being a big ol nerd is the best part of these games
:hai:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

DP 02: Space For Less Plot

Welcome back to an insignificant game, that I'm still covering anyway.

But my granddaughter said something about this hidden move... oh, yes! To use Surf outside of battle, the Hearthome Gym Badge must first be obtained. On that matter, you will have to handle it yourself, I'm afraid.

Everyone should step back and view things from a bigger perspective. Yes, a bigger perspective, one that is on a universal scale. My name is Cyrus. I seek the power to create a new world, a world without strife. However, that power seems to be unavailable here... we've met before, yes? It was at Mt. Coronet. If you discover any power derived from the legends of Sinnoh, inform me. For that power is what I need to create my new world.

Pokemon Gym

Ah gently caress it is really time for the worst Gym in the series? It really takes some doing to outdo Lt. Surge's RNG garbage, but you're about to see why this Ghost Gym requires you to backtrack to an otherwise identical town from the previous visit.

Motherfucking maths questions! I just don't get it. Why is this the puzzle? What does this have to do with Fantina? Why do you need to take slow lifts to reach the next area? Are they saying maths is the devil? WHY? WHY? WHY???

My team is shaping up, so we shouldn't have too many problems.

This might almost make me use my calculator app. It's a good thing to teach snot-nosed kids how to count so they can get a retail job, because that's the only available work due to our capitalism hellworld.

Cool, let's get out of this shithole.

From the worst gym comes the worst moveset. Well it would be a little mean to have a good Gengar, right?

Evolution would've sealed that, but that's still over 2 gyms away.

Thankfully it doesn't fancy knocking me out. When I said Gen 4 was hard, I meant Platinum, this is 2006 AI we're talking about here.

Cool, let's move on.

After walking out. Because when it's the worst Gym, I MEAN IT!!!

Egg finally hatched, here's smol round gal.

Since Earthquake is AFTER this Gym, DON~ is gonna have a bit of a slow time.

Our final member is a Glameow, because this is the only game in the series where it's readily available to use. Even it is incredibly mediocre, dammit I wanna use a cat!

Dixie is playing with her food, since it doesn't do much back.

Now to the north, where the Lakefront is pretty drat flat.

Standing guard is a very important assignment! I'll make this a success and earn myself a CLEFAIRY!

Considering this is after we've seen them kidnap sentient pixies, I feel like our PC shouldn't really let themselves be blocked by some grunts. But Koki is a very quiet boy.

WideBertha is slightly less poo poo now, but since we haven't had it for very long and it has meh stats, Return does real pitiful damage.

Rude

That's another leader out of the way, boy are they easy! Maybe your team shouldn't be loving dreadful.

When they blew up Lake Valor, a cavern appeared in the middle of this lake!

You're here to see the lake Pokemon, too? You must be bored to fight your way through the snow to get here...

No time for any random bullshit no one cares about, on with the main show!

With this Red Chain I will pry open the portal to another dimension. I command that you unleash your power for me... PALKIA, the mythical Pokemon, and the master of space and dimensions!

Legendary Appearance

With everything gone, there will be no fighting and no strife. Feel the dimensions distorting... only I can stop it.

Cataclysm!!

PALKIA, the ancient deity of space and the dimensions! This world cannot be molded into the ultimate world I seek! It's far easier to create an entirely new world than to change this one! A new world in which I am the ruler of all things! I shall become a deity!

We should definitely stop this guy, there's only room for one Populous 3 LP on these forums!

Barry is as useful as ever.

Fantastic! Beautiful! It's the creation of a new galaxy! My new world! ...wh-what?!

Legendaries Like Fixing Their Own Problems, Huh

The Red Chain! It crumbled away to nothing?! But why? Why would MESPRIT, the Pokemon of Lake Verity, appear by your side? But never mind that! It's all destroyed! My galaxy is gone! ...I won't allow this... I will capture those three again and craft another Red Chain! But before I even think about that, I'm going to completely crush you!

Galactic Boss Battle

You know what guys, my team doesn't seem too amazing. But that's fine, neither does his, really. They fixed so much for Platinum it's unreal.

Still, we got some good stuff, like a goddamn Dusk Stone, as well as Ice Beam, which is going to be very important later oh god.

This does not bode well for the future.

The most beautiful thing... joy that shines brightest... ...telling you is meaningless. But I will not give up. I will become a deity one day... and I will make the ultimate mine...

It's impossible to tell if it is enraged or saddened... but to me, PALKIA appears to be waiting for you, Koki... it seems to be challenging you as a test... go on, Koki. Face up to PALKIA! Listen to its heart. Understand its thoughts. PALKIA is out of control after being dragged out by the Red Chain and forced to use its power. PALKIA seems to be entrusting you with stopping it...

Koki... I ran into Jun a little while ago. He said that he believed in you, Koki. He said that you could get the job done. I feel the same way. Please help that Pokemon! It's suffering from being dragged out by Team Galactic!

Palkia Encounter

Woah.

Well if you're gonna be a pain, then see ya later, fucko!

You were magnificent. Truly, you were incredible. I've lived for sixty years, but I've never been thrilled like this!

Since the last time, the professor did a lot of research... he became very concerned about you, Koki, so he came out to a place as treacherous as this... Koki, I'm so glad you're safe. Let's go home!

No one has the right to take away anyone's future or anyone's world...

Go wherever you've never visited before. That way, you should see Pokemon you haven't yet seen.

...you know, that Pokemon was extraordinary, wasn't it? Was it really the Pokemon that created the Sinnoh region...?

Well that was a thing that happened, Cyrus escapes to plot future stuff, Lucas/Dawn are somehow strong enough to get up here and if you don't have an Escape Rope, you're walking all the way back down, sucker!!!

"track the movements of Pokemon."

What? You don't have the Marking Map? ...you should occasionally pay visits to the Poketch Company, you know.

Everyone decries the lack of Fire types, but Electric similarly suffers, with Raichu, Luxray and Pachirisu as your only options! Volkner made the right choice, but it's crazy how this got so far without someone asking the important question of why this dex is so drat small.

I'm fine with oddball Pokemon that have the type for some moves, it makes things really interesting! But for strategic reasons, not because they ran out of options.

Still, DON~'s here, so it's on to the hardest challenge. Probably in the series, since my team ain't too great, but lovely RS Revival Herbs do contribute a lot to that Elite Four.

Game Freak decided the Elite Four shouldn't have personable rooms like before, seriously, there's a reason I say these are the worst games in the series, there's nothing massively wrong on the surface, but there's a billion little things that add up that were fixed to make one of my favourite games. Interesting how that works.

Elite Four Battle

Where the gently caress do I even start with this Elite Four team? Considering his other options are Kricketune or Wormadam/Mothim, he was pretty screwed.

Still, plenty more to go, oh boy.

Cool.

...come on now. Let's just move on.

What should we do with our two Fire type lines? Make a Fire Elite Four member? Genius!

In fairness, this is a fun fight where you can't (mostly) sweep with Water or Ground types.

So he has Steelix because it's hot tempered steel, he has Driblim cause it's a, well, hot air balloon. So why does he have Lopunny? Can't think of a reason.

I'm glad Flint got a better team, but it's still some interesting stuff. This should definitely happen more often.

Lucian remains very similar, but come on, when will Girafarig ever be on an Elite Four team again?

Good AI, good game.

Champion Cynthia

This is what you've all been waiting for. How the gently caress am I supposed to beat a stronger Cynthia with this team??? She got nerfed in Platinum, since her team is around 3 levels higher on average. Her Garchomp is the strongest main story Pokemon you face, until Diantha barely surpassed it, in a game that gives you a billion exp for blinking!

Still, I have more healing items than sense, so I think I should be fine.

Also an Infernape. I chose it for a reason.

But wonky AI aside, Garchomp is terrifying. The best you can hope for is a Dragon Rush miss.

The worst you can hope is stalling it out of PP and hoping something survives so you're not endlessly reviving Pokemon. This was also an incredibly bad battle to bring a Hippowdown to, whoops!

Turns out Lumineon is not the best answer to a psuedo-legendary nearly TWENTY LEVELS HIGHER!!!

But hey, it's finally out of Dragon Rushes, so Mismagius is a great pick, being immune to its other 3 moves. I say, twenty minutes and 15 Revival Herbs later...

But at least with that nonsense out of the way we can come back from this. Barely.

gently caress outta here!

So not the best team, but it was still a lot of fun. Shame the early game and Fly options are so dire that I wasn't able to use all Gen 4 mons, but hey, if I'm bothered about that, then I can think of the perfect game to ease my mind with. Postgame ho!

Fight Area Day

I'm fining you $100 million! Listen up, I'm going to become the greatest Trainer ever. That's why I'm here--to toughen up myself and my Pokemon!

Hehehe! Sorry! I couldn't help overhearing that. But the greatest Trainer ever?! That's going to be really tough. Because you're talking about me! To prove that, I'm going to the volcano right now. You look puzzles. You really don't know anything, do you? All right, I'll tell you. This is the Battle Zone, OK? At the far end, there's a volcano. And deep inside the volcano, there's supposed to be a treasure.

So? What's the big deal? If I find that treasure first, that'll make me the greatest Trainer ever? That's what I'll do, Koki! And you too, stranger! I'm gonna get the treasure first! But before that, I'm going to the Battle Tower! See ya!

Anyways, howdy, I'm Buck. Sheesh, that punk can't beat me. So, do you know that zippity-doodah of a Trainer? You should chase after that guy and tell him not to underestimate the volcano. Oh, but you know what? You'd better shape up at the Battle Tower first, too. I don't like your chances of getting to the volcano, otherwise. Be seeing you!

Well this is kinda familiar, but not exactly.

Before Gen 4's Battle Frontier, there was the standard Battle Tower, with the Battle Park before it! Nothing of this place remains in Platinum, which is a bit of a shame.

Whoops, sorry about that! I was in a rush. Oh, wait a second... aren't you... you're Koki from Twinleaf! Wow, that brings back memories! So, if you're here, he can't be far behind... this should be fun. See you!

Oh, hey, Koki! You came to the Battle Tower too, huh? I decided I'll see how I measure up before going to Stark Mountain. But that guy you were just talking to... ...nah, it's all right! I got here on my own power. It won't take long before I see him. See ya, Koki! I'm going to toughen up here!

Ths first building is where you exchange stuff, all very fancy, but the Battle Tower is basically identical to the Pt and HGSS versions. Though a quick thing to note, since we fought Palmer in HGSS, he actually has different dialogue in DPP.

Hi! My name's Palmer. I remember you from when you were in Twinleaf, Koki. You were always playing with my son Jun, right? You’ve grown up since then, and most impressively, too! So, I'd like you to show me. Show me the bond you’ve built with your Pokemon. Show me the skill you've acquired as a Trainer!

Losing to an outstanding Trainer like you... I can live with that. Bravo! One day, I imagine my son will come challenge me just as you have. That’s something I look forward to a great deal. You will become even more skilled the very same way your father did. Keep battling Trainers from around the world and keep growing greater in stature!

So, you've come this so far! As the Tower Tycoon, I'll have to give you my best effort. That's how the best Trainers show respect to each other. By battling all out as dedicated students of Pokemon!

Bravo! I feel inspired in my heart! It brings back a memory of that day long ago... I went out to the lake with your father that day... we were attacked by a wild Pokemon. We fended it off, but I don't recall how. It was that desperate. That was my first step as a Trainer. I wonder if the professor is doing well? ...that's enough reminiscing. My young friend, the world and your future hold infinite promise. Go on, you can be all that you desire! There is no limit to where you can go!

God this place looks so lame.

Stark Mountain

Oh, hey, Koki. That Buck guy wiped us! Oh, man... there's always tough Trainers around everywhere. But you know? Losing means I have room to become even tougher. That's why there's the Battle Tower in the Battle Zone.

Your zippity little buddy challenged me to a battle earlier. Yeah, I owned the little dude. Made sure he was taught a lesson. But I don't know if I could beat him again the next time. Seriously, you're bound to run into tough Trainers wherever you go! Anyway, I found out about this place, but the Pokemon here are tough... what do you say we team up and go together?

My instincts tell me the volcano's treasure is just ahead of us. See you around, Koki! You might be the toughest besides me!

This is the Magma Stone, the treasure of Stark Mountain! Since I found it, that makes me the greatest Trainer out of everyone! Thanks, you all helped it happen! Oof! Whoa! Wow! Hehehe! That was wicked! The volcano's in shock from that! It might be so shocked, it'll erupt! Nah, that can't happen! See ya, Koki! Say hi to that zippity Trainer buddy!

Gotcha, gramps! I'll put the Magma Stone back. That Magma Stone was keeping the volcano Pokemon under control. It's all right, though. I can go put it back myself.

Me? You need to ask? Of course I am. They're my partners! I'm going to rule at the Battle Tower with them. I'll prove how strong we've become and totally shock the guy there.

And that's it for the postgame "plot". Definitely prefer the fixed version, makes Buck less of an absolute Buck and ties up some loose ends. It's pretty ballsy of them to talk about how strong Buck is without actually letting you fight him, but partnering with all the Stat Trainers in the Battle Tower is the only way to see them again. And on the weekends you can fight Barry at the Fight Area. But anyway, it was interesting to look at these games, please do not play them, they are very bad. That's everything I want to show off!

...well I suppose there's one more thing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

So he has Steelix because it's hot tempered steel, he has Driblim cause it's a, well, hot air balloon. So why does he have Lopunny? Can't think of a reason.
the reason is because he spends far too much time on furaffinity :ssh:
:eyepop: I remember her being tough, but jesus.

That being said, it's a nice balance between being an actually tough champion and being HGSS Red levels of bullshit. At least in this game, if you lose against her, the elite four right beforehand are decent training.

Crosspeice posted:

...well I suppose there's one more thing.
:suspense:
Hadn't expected that to get covered

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Crosspeice posted:

Motherfucking maths questions! I just don't get it. Why is this the puzzle? What does this have to do with Fantina? Why do you need to take slow lifts to reach the next area? Are they saying maths is the devil? WHY? WHY? WHY???

Fantina has a plus sign on her dress based on Driftloon's and Drifblim's mouths - clearly that reasond enough to make her a math gymleader.

Crosspeice posted:

Fire = hot
Playboy bunny = hot?
We are talking about the company that has to have a "Do you wonder how I store Pokeballs in a bikini?" swimmer in every single game after all.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Buck's design has really been grating on me and I can't put my finger on why. He looks like he'd fit in a fan game.

werbear posted:

Fire = hot
Playboy bunny = hot?
We are talking about the company that has to have a "Do you wonder how I store Pokeballs in a bikini?" swimmer in every single game after all.

:thejoke:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Solumin posted:

Buck's design has really been grating on me and I can't put my finger on why. He looks like he'd fit in a fan game.

It's the hair. It doesn't seem to actually be attached to his head, for a start, and it's also the same colour scheme and I-just-licked-an-electrical-outlet style sported by Theo, the rival in Pokemon Uranium, and his dad Cameron Stormbringer Secret Agent or whatever the gently caress his deal was.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Woohoo, it's the DP Hearthome Gym!

Fun little fact, if you are smart enough at the Maths questions in the gym that you can get through the lot, congrats! You've just missed the only trainer who has a Drifloon in the basegame. So if you're a naive 14 year old, and you're playing the game on the Friday it's released, you have to wait a whole week for the next Friday to see one at the Valley Windworks!

And guess what the criteria to unlock the national dex is...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

What kind of monster wouldn't deliberately flub the questions for more battling though?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 32: Event Only End

I think we're nearly finished with this drat dex. Piloswine learns Ancientpower at level 1, so we'll need a Heart Scale...

And that's every evolution we can obtain by ourselves. But where were we?

Elite Four Battle

Ah yes, rematches. I'm only doing this cause I need cash to get more balls, since the movesets are exactly the same and there's not much to go over, since I have to go all out and cover myself in Revival Herbs to stay afloat. But then what else is new?

Nice.

Bugs are kicking my rear end now, it's so good to see!

But they have a real Skulletor weakness. Though I suppose a lot of things do.

A double nice, those are rare.

Not much of a challenge, but Ground types are a little tricky to work with. Still, this is good exp, crazy how strong everyone is now.

Bonus, we even live the recoil!

Flint, the master of the Fire type, is up next! Battles are clashes of the burning spirit of Pokemon. Battles aren't about appearances or what's weak or strong. It all comes down to whether the combatants can burn hot or not.

Scary, but it's always too soon to face another Infernape.

The trick is something faster, or indeed, something with Quick Claw.

Being at such a high level, a strong, balanced mon like Gallade is super drat scary, so let's try to stop its rampage.

That also helps, since Alakazam outspeeds EVERYONE

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Champion Cynthia Battle

What if we faced Cynthia's DP team, but 12 levels higher? What an interesting idea. She even switches to Garchomp nice and early!

At least I'm still faster, however it doesn't KO because OF COURSE IT loving DOESN'T

So like with DP, if you find yourself stuck, dodge Dragon Rush and use a Ghost type. Or die. Both works.

She is full of strategy today. Still, my team is pretty drat strong, but that's why I'm not having a massively tough time. I crafted it this way after all, Cynthia is just really drat strong.

Nice try. Since she didn't have Togekiss in DP, it's using the same moveset, but with Psychic instead of Shock Wave.

And with that, we're outta here.

Excellent team! At least we'll never have to fight Cynthia again. Hahaha. Hahahahahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The rest of the update is just a variety of random things left to do, there's still a few here and there. 13 ribbons is the most you can get without contests and it is incredibly not worth it.

Let's hack in a bunch of money again and buy everything in the Villa. Because you come here for just this kind of content!

I can't get comfortable sitting on something this expensive looking. You could get a Villa as a gift? I did not know that. I wish someone'd give me a Villa. That way, I'd be able to assist the professor even more!

Some of the things we buy will be standard things, most of which we can't interact with, similar to stuff in secret bases. Don't get too excited about some of the things we get.

Lilycove City Remix

Some things are pretty rad though.

It's really nice! Maybe I'll get some for my Gym... the green coloring and the aroma... it's very nice. I know it's a little abrupt, but don't you think Grass-type Pokemon smell nice? It makes me happy just being around them.

Twinleaf Town Music Box

Looking a little less empty now, though some items only appear in the catalogue if you've bought a previous item, such as the Rack the music box sits on, or if you do a random grindy task elsewhere.

Also, and I hate to say this, but... well, the truth of the matter is... we're completely sold out of furniture that we could sell you... thank you so very, very much for your long-standing patronage and support!

I love the sound a piano makes. I savor every note with my entire being. It's not only my ears; my spirit hears the music it makes... ehehe, I made myself cringe saying that. It's so relaxing here... sigh... I don't want to go home. It's a complete mess with all my research papers strewn about. My house? Even the region is a secret!

Relaxing Piano Music

Of course it plays that...

But that's the full Villa! The two Sofas, Bed, Night Table, TV, Audio System, Bookshelf, Rack, Houseplant and PC desk are available from the start. The Music Box requires the Rack, the Pokemon Bust (Grey) requires battling at each Battle Frontier facility once, while the Pokemon Bust (Silver) requires one Silver Print. The Piano requires 10 Elite Four clears, the Guest Set requires fifty Battleground trainers beaten, and the Tea Set requires the Guest Set. The Wall Clock requires 50 berries planted, the Masterpiece requires 30 eggs hatched and finally the Chandelier requires 300,000 steps. Little bit of a pain to do everything, but it's not too bad, really.

There's also a bunch of people that can visit, and all the quotes are very interesting if you go look for them, though Prof. Rowan, Dawn/Lucas, Gardenia and Cynthia requiring buying an item before they can appear. It's a massive money sink otherwise, I did it all totally legit so you didn't have to!

But anyway, it's time to obtain the last of the legendaries in this game. Oh, here's one now. ...alright fine this isn't how you're meant to obtain it. By using the Pal Park and RSE, you can send over the 3 regis to awaken Regigigas in Snowpoint Temple. But what if we did something else instead?

The three random caves we've seen around change into something much more interesting when we have this event Regigigas with us. Well, this Toys "R" Us Regigigas was available to download to a DP game in Japan to those who pre-ordered tickets to Movie 11, Giratina and the Sky Warrior from June 20th to Aug 31st 2008 and the US who went to participating stores from Mar 8th-21st 2009. Trading it to this game unlocks these new areas, America never actually got a way to obtain Regigigas in Plat without using other games, though there was a 2009 summer Regigigas for Europe players. Uh, anyway, this is the only way to get the Custap Berry also and there are 3 other event berries we'll go over in just a moment.

Anyway, step on the spots, very simple puzzle.

Regi Battle

Oh boy, can't wait to catch the regis again! Said no one ever. This track was used as a sampling test in DP, but upgraded to a full on track in Plat, which explains why it sounds a bit off in some places.

Making me spend my hard earned BP cause Discharge is too strong... grumble, grumble.

But since they're so weak, it's just a bore throwing endless balls.

One down...

Least we don't have the climb the entire mountain again. Nope, never doing that again, haha.

Hey, at least this one can survive a few special hits.

Just standard fare, it is a little easier since we have Dusk Balls now, but it's still a bitch and a half.

Well it's one way to make me come back here.

What, gonna deny you ever did a nazi salute? Alright, pewdiepie.

Well that was fun, I guess. Now onto the main event.

This required a lot of effort, this reward better be amazing!

AHAHAHAHAHA, OHNONONONO, HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN, REGIBROS??? Yeah, we're not gonna bother with using False Swipe or a weak Pokemon or whatever and just huck the Master Ball. So, Regigigas is the worst legendary in the series. You might think that's a tall order when some other mons come to mind, but that's because it has the worst ability in the series. Slow Start is worse than Emergency Exit or Truant, or hell, even Rotom-Fan's Levitate, as it completely cripples it and makes it absolutely worthless. Slow Start halves its Atk and Spd for 5 turns, since it has pretty drat good stats. But if you switch out at any time, the counter resets, Regigigas can't learn Protect, or Rest, or anything that would help it stall out the turns it needs to finally, finally be useful. And in single battles, 5 turns is incredibly long. Overwhelming long for a Pokemon that has alright defenses and ZERO RECOVERY outside of Drain Punch.

It's the damndest thing, without this ability, Regigigas would've been pretty good, not top tier Ubers, since Normal STAB only gets you so far, but it has good stats, bulk to take some unresisted hits and has a pretty wide movepool, but Game Freak seemed to think it would've been the most ridiculous and overpowered thing in the series, since they absolutely ruined it with the ability. It would be better off with no ability at all. It gets completely and utterly outclassed by a similar legendary in the same generation, so this is a cautionary tale, daddy Game Freak will destroy you, it could happen to any one of their creations, and they wouldn't care, even if you weren't going to be amazing anyway. Hopefully one day they'll change Slow Start, but until then, Regigigas is one of the worst Pokemon, let alone the worst legendary.

Well that was a depressing end to a long sidequest. What fun thing shall we do next? ...breeding? Yeah, sure...

And there we go, done. With the Magcargo we caught earlier, or any Pokemon with Flame Body or Magma Armor, breeding is a breeze on this long stretch. They're learning. And considering how many babies there are in the Sinnoh Dex, the fact we only need to hatch 2 is pretty drat impressive. But I suppose there's a couple more...

Here's one legendary you can at least obtain right now, in fact I hooked up with real rad peep 1234567890num, who's just finishing their Pokemon Ranger LP and completing any of the 3 Ranger games gives you a mission that lets you transfer over a Manaphy Egg to a Gen 4 game. Though in the first game you could only do this ONCE PER CARTRIDGE, while the other two games let you do it as many times as you'd like.

Doesn't take too long to hatch the little beauty. Though it's a shame it wasn't shiny! Ah, it's actually impossible to be shiny, since when the egg is transferred over, it rolls the PID based on the ID and Secret ID so it can't be shiny. HOWEVER, if you trade the egg to another game, it then has the standard base chance of being shiny, though no one has actually legitimately proved they obtained one. It's not a big deal if it's not shiny, you just restart to before you hatched it, trade it to another game, and try again. It is definitely the hardest shiny hunt in the series, so uh, good luck.

Let's wash our hands of bad legendaries, heh get it, wash? Anyway, Manaphy is a 100 pixie, pretty standard, but what if you gave it Tail Glow? Seems ridiculous, but while it doesn't get Hydro Pump, it can spam Surf all day long with little worry. It gets a nice variety of special moves like Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, Psychic and Blizzard to really tear through enemies, and has some standard bulk to keep it going. It becomes a super monster in the rain, or indeed the Drizzle filled Ubers, as Hydration lets it fully heal itself and become cured with Rest, an incredibly potent combination, though it has Aqua Ring and its own Rain Dance to facilitate it. Also, if your enemy has too many boosts, or it can't use your boosted SpAtk, Heart Swap, uh, swaps everyone's stat changes, very sneaky. It might seem cute and standard with its stats, but this is one dangerous Pokemon under the right weather. Oh hey, doesn't weather become an even bigger thing next gen?

But one little quibble, what happens if you happen to leave Manaphy and Ditto at the Day Care? Well after walking 5000 steps...

So when I mentioned worst legendary earlier, you probably thought of this, and true, this is definitely down there, and no, I don't count Cosmog or Cosmoem, they're meme legendaries. But with stats like those and even its Mythical status contradicted by different official sources, it's easy to see why. Well, it's basically Manaphy, but poo poo, ie, without Tail Glow and, well, 120 less base stats. Seriously, it's as strong as Glalie, which is not the place to be. It can do just fine, sure, but also has to Surf spam and probably won't get daddy Kyogre to help out since it'll never see Uber use. It can't even learn Energy Ball like Manaphy can! It's an interesting idea for a method of obtaining something, but you kinda wonder why they bothered. Oh well, you're cute enough.

But fine, I've put this off as long as I felt like it, getting all FIVE roaming Pokemon isn't too bad in this game, you can keep this map up and walk up and down in this spot, since four areas connect to this route, so it doesn't take very long. It only took around 20 mins to find and catch all the roamers.

But, uh, that's because I hacked in some more Master Balls. Look, I've caught enough legendaries in this game already, leave me alone... and hey, only took 8 updates, but we finally caught this little tease.

I can't tell which icon is what, so it's weird they're appearing in order so far. Uh, anyway, if you're not sick of bulky Psychic legendaries, well here's another one. Cresselia is such a loving pain to kill, I hate it so much, but drat it does its job well, having an immunity, as well as a host of supporting moves, like Moonlight, Future Sight, Psycho Shift, and it can even try its hand at sweeping with Calm Mind, though it'll take a bit. Even when you've got it nearly dead and wasted a lot of effort in doing so, it can just Lunar Dance to faint on its own terms and completely fully heal the weakened sweeper you also spent some effort knocking chunks out of. It's never fun to fight this thing, from screens to Thunder Wave, to Toxic and Double Team. Of course it has a bunch of special moves it can try and sweep with after some boosts, but it has a very clear path, so it's definitely best sticking to that.

Daddy I don't want to catch legendaries anymore.

What's that? You've caught ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES?! Now that is incredible!

Eterna Forest

Now for something a little different. The thread voted on what Pokemon I should hunt with the Poke Radar, and Nincada was the choice, which is nice since we've got a big grass patch to play with.

Takes a couple tries to finally find one, I was doing this for about two hours, but will I find a shiny? Stay tuned!

Once we get a chain rolling, then it can be a little tricky to keep it, due to a variety of factors. I outlined it in the Side Notes how this all works, but due to the high catch rate of Nincada, a Quick Ball is a guaranteed catch, which boosts the chance of Nincada being in a patch by 10%. If we keep going to the patch in the fourth ring, then it's a 98% chance of being a Nincada.

Since it's a Poke Radar mon, it'll always use the fast grass animation, but the rarer mons of this forest also use it, so hopefully we don't run into them. The shiny patch is obvious if you're hunting the fast animation, so don't worry about missing it.

gently caress. When you reach the edge of a grass patch and there's only a couple close spots nearby, it's best to just charge the radar again and reset the encounters.

We're past the 40 chain mark, so I'll be going back to that state if I screw up, which I did a lot. It's only a high chance of seeing the chained Pokemon, but this is quite frustrating to do in one go. It's best to keep resetting encouters at this point, since the shiny chance caps at 1/200 per patch, but where's the fun in that?

Goddammit, that was a 78% chance of being Nincada in the third ring. We got to a chain of 74, which is pretty drat good, but let's give this another shake. I was getting pretty worn out by this point, so I was happy to do one more big try.

...that's a shiny! There's a 2% chance it could be a random Pokemon, getting a shiny doesn't interrupt the chain, but its PID has been forced, so it could be anything.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

YES! HAHAHA! YES!!! This was 63 in the new chain, so overall, I had around 70 encounters with the maxed shiny chance, which took longer than I thought it would, honestly.

I tried to see how long that particular chain would go, but it only got to 67. No matter, very pleased about all that.

Don't care about the IVs or the nature or anything, it's a shiny, that's all I wanted. It's cool that I was able to just go out and get one after a little effort, I've never done a chain before. It was an absolute pain, will never do one again, but it was all worth it.

While I would've liked to have gotten one more to complete the set, two shinies for the price of one ain't half bad.

And just outside Eterna is where I'll catch the last few Pokemon we can't obtain without trading. The dex wasn't too bad, I feel like it was really well paced, especially since we were able to see everything during the main adventure. Been quite relaxing catching all kinds of random things in the postgame.

And there we go, that's every Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex. And then the National Dex just because. Though, hmm, that number doesn't seem right. We missing anything?

Regardless, completing the National Dex, excluding all the event Pokemon, like Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione and Manaphy, will net you another trainer star. Been a while since we've gotten one of these.

Th-that Trainer Card! That sparkling color! And all those stars! I've seen several Trainers with Silver Trainer Cards up to now... but you're the first to top them with that Trainer Card. Please, Hikari, may I have the honor of healing your Pokemon?

This feature was something I thought was introduced this gen, but was in Gen 3, always nice to see it. But that's not every star, right?

Well you don't get the last star for getting every Gold Print, already completed it mate, easy as piss.

Indeed, you get the final star from a 100 win streak in the Battle Tower, not too hard, honest guv.

But there we go, 5 stars, and you get some trophy decorations along the way. Did this nice and legit, no save editing here, no sir.

And just before we wrap up, we can properly utilise the Dress Up, the best part of Contests, to really show off our creativity.

And we'll complete our Secret Base. Though, uh, since there's only 15 decoration spaces, placing all our cups and trophies we won limits anything else. Oh well, there's a few things we can unlock to display here, most notably the different coloured gems from Mr. Goods for doing stuff in the Underground. You get a Blue Crystal from meeting 100 players, a Pink Crystal from giving 100 items to players, a Red Crystal for digging up 100 Fossils and a Yellow Crystal for trapping 100 people with, uh, traps. Definitely worth your time, probably. Also you get a spinning globe if you enable Wi-Fi Connection and access the GTS, so rip, it's impossible to obtain all decorations without hacking. He also gave you the various Battle Tower trophies in DP. But anyway, that's everything I wanted to show off in this game, it's been a blast but it's time to head back home and- hm? I don't remember picking up this... Member Card?

Harbor Inn

Well hey, I could use a nice rest, let's go in.

... ...kekeke... we've had a reservation for you. We've held it a long time...

Please keep watch over me, a young girl, while I sleep, creepy man.

Hmm, where are we? It seems familiar.

Oh hey, like with Fullmoon Island, we discovered a new place on the map. These islands were right next to each other in DP, but were given some space in Plat.

The dex ain't over til all the 3 rate legendaries are caught. Darkrai is definitely not one to miss, as it's a very fast and fragile threat. Well its stats already show what it does, but what if you gave it Spore that also hit both opponents in doubles? Well, that sounds loving broken, and Dark Void is indeed that. Not only that, its ability, Bad Dreams, softens up those asleep and makes them even easier to take out. Oh, right, its moves, how about Nasty Plot while your opponent is unable to do anything? From there, Dark Pulse and Focus Blast cover literally anything you could want to do, it's just that easy. It has a crazy amount of options, like Thunder for Kyogre, Ice Beam, Sludge Bomb and even Dream Eater. If you think something faster will switch in after their bait was put to sleep, slow them down with Icy Wind. Boy, it's a good thing it has mediocre defenses for Ubers, or this would be a real bitch to take down. Also an event for Movie 10: Rise of Darkrai gave it Spacial Rend. Jesus Christ.

Little annoying, but at least this is the worst Sleep option it has! Considering it's one of the best Pokemon in the game, it's pretty rough that it's event only. If only there was another way

The Member Card was distributed over Wi-Fi from Dec 1st 2008 to Jan 15th 2009 in Japan, and for US and Europe from Aug 3rd to Sep 13th 2009. This was the only way to go and catch it, and indeed shiny hunt it, there were various event giveaways for DP during 2007 for the tenth movie, so Newmoon Island is unreachable legitimately in those games.

Fitting, I'd say.

Though you don't will it, you make people and Pokemon around you see terrible nightmares... that is why you came here... Newmoon Island... there is no one but you here... there is none that can be drawn into your nightmare... If anyone were to fall into a nightmare, the Fullmoon Island is close by...

Well that was weird. But that's all there is to see, time to- oh? That weird guy slipped this Oak's Letter into my bag. The mail service never disappoints!

I choose my words carefully, but they may still hurt someone accidentally... when I think of that, I clam up... that's why I think this certain Pokemon is so wonderful. It's a Pokemon that conveys the feelings of gratitide in a nice way... that stone tablet... it has a strange feel to it...

Without further ado, I'd like you to examine this stone tablet. Something just like it was also discovered in the Kanto region. I want to ask for your help in solving the mystery behind this. I tried deciphering the engravings on the stone tablet. Apparently, it is for a Trainer to engrave his or her thoughts after growing as a person on an adventure. A Trainer fitting that description would be you. That's why I'm asking you for your help. You've met many people and Pokemon; you've experienced many things that shaped you into the person you are. I want you to sincerely tell me who affected you the most. Tell me, to whom do you most want to say your thanks?

You're absolutely certain of it?

?! What was that Pokemon? Is it somehow connected to the stone tablet? Hmm... where did that Pokemon go? Its destination is intriguing...

Thank you... that must have been the Pokemon that conveys the feelings of gratitude... you made it so I could see it... so, I'll have to convey thanks in my own words, too... to you, too... thank you...

I'm so loving stupid, I've been cackling at this every time I thought about it. Sure, I could say something cheesy and give my thanks to everyone at home watching and reading my stuff. But thanks to me, all of this happened! It was me, all along!

Sea Broke

Ah geez this thing never ends. How long is it, anyway?

Uh huh. Seems a little excessive.

Eventually we reach the longest stretch in the series. You could hatch eggs on this, if it wasn't so incredibly out of the way and only good for 5 at a time.

is baby, Shaymin is another pixie, there were two this time! Like Manaphy, it seems cute and cuddly, but can be very dangerous in the right hands. Well, as it is, it's more defensive with Synthesis and Natural Cure, but can exploit special weak mons with Seed Flare, which has a 40% chance of lowering SpDef by 2 stages! Good thing there's no way to boost that chance! From there it can use Earth Power and Psychic to clean up, it still has really great stats, even if it might not hit as hard as rain boosted Manaphy, or recover as much. It can even go physical with Swords Dance and catch people out with Seed Bomb, Zen Headbutt and, uh, Quick Attack? Not as useful, but it has some nice options, along with standard defensive tactics with Leech Seed and Toxic and the like. Great fun.

Little annoying, but thankfully this has a higher catch rate, so it's not too bad. Another event item, Oak's Letter was available in the full swing of Platinum, being distributed in Japan from Apr 18th to May 11th 2009 and in US and Europe from Sep 28th to Nov 8th 2009. Of course, like Darkrai, it got distributed earlier in DP for its movie, in Japan from July 6th to Sep 30th 2008 and only available for a WEEK in US, Fen 8th to 14th 2009, crazy. These various distributions were the only way to get a Micle Berry also.

Easy enough, let's never return here, it is a TREK.

The coolest thing is that this section of Route 224 is now permanently changed, very nice to see.

If you have that Pokemon, then you should also have some Gracidea flowers. I've got a whole bunch, so you can have some.

They're given as bouquets to express feelings of gratitude. Isn't that charming? With these Gracidea flowers you don't need to say thanks with words. You can, instead, demonstrate your gratitude with a bouquet. How nice!

So after legitimately obtaining your event Shaymin, you might've noticed it was a fateful encounter, something event Pokemon tend to have. The Gracidea is the reason, you can't obtain it and transform Shaymin if you, say, hacked in the event item or reached the Flower Paradise and caught a DP Shaymin.

Oh baby this form is some good poo poo, remember how powerful Seed Flare was? Well now it's an 80% chance of lowering SpDef by 2 stages. Add in Air Slash for a gruesome 60% flinch chance and you've got a Pokemon that seems pretty illegal. Starting to see a trend here. It drops some defenses for blistering Spd and SpAtk, as well as 3 Atk for some reason, since 130 Spd seems a little silly! Those SpDef drops start adding up real fast, making it incredibly difficult to switch into this mon. What if something resists Grass? Well Earth Power is an option from Land Shaymin, as well as Psychic, but it also gets Tailwind as a HGSS tutor, which is pretty cool, not that it really uses it. In any case, if you want to melt the competition and not let it do a drat thing. Well, this is a crazy good option, that again seems event only. What a bother.

Anyway, there's of course one more event Pokemon. But, uh, where did I find this unreleased event item? Uhhhhh, just found it on the ground. As you do.

Azure Flute

So, what's at the top of the summit of the tallest mountain?

Arceus Appears

Oh my god... it's... my god.

Arceus Battle

The final challenge. This is it, the creator of the Pokemon universe, and the end of everything, with those stats and ability and movepool. It's the final Pokemon, there's nothing else left. We're definitely not reaching halfway through the dex here with SWSH, no sir.

Okay, so like all good JRPGs we're fighting, and even befriending, god, and it definitely lives up to the hype. With the highest INITIAL base stats, it can do basically anything it wants with its versatile typing and movepool... and then you add in its abiliy, Multitype, which, when holding one of the sixteen plates we've found across the LP, changes it to that type, along with Judgment, ensuring it always has a 100BP STAB move, even if its other options are sometimes lacking. Any hole in your team can be filled by a specific Arceus type, though some are more useful than others, such as bulky Water Arceus, or a strong Ghost Arceus, or a resiliant Steel Arceus.

It gets Draco Meteor as Dragon Arceus, gets better accuracy STAB as Rock, Ice, Bug Arceus, it can go all out as regular Arceus with a Choice Band and Extremespeed, it can be defensive with Recover, Tailwind, Stealth Rock, Will-O-Wisp, screens, Refresh, Gravity, go full offense with Swords Dance or Calm Mind, as Judgment is special, or surprise the foe with a type that counters its other type's counters. It's Arceus, it does anything and everything, and while it might not be the powerhouse some of its other creations are, there will always be room for one of its forms, no matter what team you have, and that's the strongest aspect of it all. Because it's motherfucking G O D.

This is not something for the faint of heart, its movepool seems tailor made to gently caress over any capture, be relieved its only real attacking move is Hyper Beam. This is the strongest wild Pokemon you'll ever face.

Hrmmmmmm. Except, well, you'll never face this. Because the Azure Flute was never released. Game Freak figured kids were having a hard time leaving the first route, let alone going up Mt. Coronet for the SECOND TIME, so they scrapped releasing the Azure Flute and started to pull back their various event items. Not the event Pokemon, it definitely isn't the same just being handed it in the center, but since we're here TEN YEARS LATER, the result is the same, there's no intended way of getting these Pokemon, and that sucks some real rear end, and it doesn't look like they're gonna change it any time soon.

Phew, took a little bit, but at least I can say I'm finally done with catching goddamn legendaries. Even if the item was never released, Arceus was for its movie, from July 18th to Sep 30th 2009, the US from Nov 7th to 15th 2009 and Europe from Mar 5th to Apr 2nd 2010. This had a Rowap Berry, the only way to obtain one, as well as Shadow Force, which Ghost Arceus definitely liked. The only issue was it was level 100. Since this was the only Arceus ever distributed to Gen 4 games, it cannot gain EVs naturally, since they're calculated at level up. This means you can only give it drink EVs, up to 100 for each stat. So it's not as good as it could be, but the fact that it was still used nearly all the time, and then exploded in popularity in Gen 5 when EVs were calculated after battle, says a lot.

Oh yeah, and the Jaboca Berry was given to event Celebi for the 13th movie, as well as the 2008 Tanabata Jirachi. Cool? Cool.

That's more like it, another Pokedex done. Nice to savour it for a bit, before I throw it all away and start completely from scratch YET AGAIN GOD WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE

But anyway, there's a bit more to this event, so you all know where we're going next.

If I had to explain very simply, I study how people came to be. That could explain why I happen to be in Sinnoh. In Sinnoh, there is a myth on how the world came into existance. Investigating that myth may give me insight on the emergence of people. I found something very interesting soon after arrival. You may have it, if you'd like.

"When the universe was created, its shards became this Plate." I'm told that plate was created at the same time as Sinnoh. That Plate I found bears this inscription. "The rightful bearer of a Plate draws from the Plate it holds." The rightful bearer, I think, may point to the shaper of this world. Oh, by the way, I'm only interested in the words and thoughts left behind. Physical artifacts like that Plate don't interest me once I've read them. I hope we meet again somewhere.

After we parted, I went from Oreburgh to Hearthome, Celestic, then Eterna. Yes, the town and cities surrounding the foot of Mt. Coronet. Why my fascination with Mt. Coronet, you may ask? Well, Mt. Coronet happens to be called "The origin of Sinnoh." I learned many things on my journey. Would you like to hear about them?

The way I see it, our world began when the spirit within people was born. When that spirit came to be, there followed awareness about the world. Within that newborn spirit, time and space were intertwined as one. People and Pokemon, too, were but the same presence. As I understand it, people and Pokemon shared the spirit and awareness. They should have understood and accepted each other then. Because they shared the same spirit, people and Pokemon intermingled. People took the place of Pokemon, and the opposite also held true. That interpretation could give us an idea about how our world came to be. A Pokemon is said to have shaped this world... could that Pokemon be the physical form of the original spirit? Hmm... the spirit that came to be, and from it, time and space were born... that seems to point to legendary DIALGA, the Pokemon of time, and PALKIA, the Pokemon of space... and they lead back to ARCEUS, the Pokemon that made them arise. Isn't this interesting? Would you like to hear some more?

Oh, there were also Plates, weren't there? One Plate read "Three beings were born to bind time and space." Those three beings I read to mean the three Pokemon of the lakes. It's about UXIE, MESPRIT, and AZELF. The myth describes how they gave spirit to the world, shaping it. But it all starts with ARCEUS, the first. It is known as the Original One. Oh, by the way, I wrote down the words engraved on those Plates. I summarized them in a book and donated it to this library. There it is in that bookshelf. I'd be pleased if you'd read it. I have to say I'm glad I came out to Sinnoh. I suppose I'd better be off in search of new myths in faraway lands. It would be nice if our paths were to cross again.

"When the universe was created, its shards became this Plate."
"The power of defeated giants infuses this Plate."
"Two beings of time and space set free from the Original One."
"Three beings were born to bind time and space."
"Two make matter and three make spirit, shaping the world."
"The Original One breathed alone before the universe came."
"The powers of Plates are shared among Pokemon."
"The rightful bearer of a Plate draws from the Plate it holds."

Well wasn't that a lot of fun. At least for this part, any Arceus will do, since the Hall of Origin is impossible to reach. In this game, at least. But what if I told you, that firstly it's not a movie quote, but also that all of this generation's mythicals are obtainable right now, in a single game, with the only help being a Ranger for the Manaphy Egg. Then find out in the Side Notes, since there's a lot to it and this is taking oh so long. Let's get some drat recognition!!!

Hikari! You've finally done it! You've finally completed the National Pokedex! This is better than meeting any exotic Pokemon for the first time! I feel blessed to have become friends with a Trainer like you! Sincerely, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Evidently, I completely forgot about this. Well we have it now.

You've finally obtained every Pokemon there is in the world! Your Pokedex is completed! That's outstanding work! The effort you went through getting this Pokedex together... please allow me to honor you with an award!

Meh, another one for the pile. Wonder when it'll actually be worth it to get these?

Did you work long and hard to catch and raise them? Did you receive them as gifts from friends? Maybe you got some in trades from around the world? Though everyone's Pokedexes look the same, the stories they contain are all unique.

Now that's more like it! ...yet again I've done practically everything in a Pokemon game for you guys. Man has this been an amazing game, though we're getting to the point where I basically know everything there is about the games, so that sense of discovery isn't the same anymore, but no matter, they're fun to play, which makes a nice change! And there's some real interesting stuff coming up, a lot of things get tweaked or overhauled in future games, which gives me more to talk about, everything here was pretty similar to Gen 3, so I leapt at anything different. But there was still some stuff I didn't talk about, RNG manipulation... Cute Charm glitch to get easy shinies... there's always plenty to discover. But how should we end the LP?

Perfect. Next time, it's onto a pair of games you've been looking forward to. We'll travel in a big circle collecting medals, fighting off pirates in a flying ship, and even face off against an evil king! That's right it's time for Pokemon... TCG GBC 1 & 2! I can't wait!!!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 07: Void of Legends

I like going over a specific important glitch in each game. This time, it's tweaking. The game is divided into various chunks that are loaded and removed as you move across the map. If you move very quickly where they intersect, such as in Jubilife City, going straight across the pavement, then down, up and left one tile in quick succession, you can confuse the game, and have it load part of Route 203 in the east part of Jubilife.

By opening a full menu and making the game refresh the graphics, everything is put in its proper place, but we put ourself just above the door to the Poketch building, so when we walk down to enter the loading zone, we continue through the door in that direction and enter... the VOID! The space between areas, where everything is connected, even if it's not loaded, and we can traverse the VOID in specific ways to change data in the game, rewrite code and find things we're not supposed to.

Be very much warned, the VOID is large, mostly empty, and if you don't know where you're going, you can get stuck, or crash the game, or completely corrupt your file. It is very risky, especially if you do it after certain events or triggers. But let's begin, shall we? First, we need to set up an easy reset point, before we get to the good stuff.

Beta Jubilife

Since we'll be doing a lot of roaming through all kinds of places, the music will change pretty often, including this beta version of Jubilife City when we enter the MYSTERY ZONE. Because the only way to really track where you are is place names or the occasional glitchy texture, use the Pedometer app. Finally it shines!

Once we go 415 tiles west, we save and reset. There's a fair bunch of steps to follow, and I'll make a list after the update if you want to try them yourself, but please watch some vids so you get the gist of what you're doing. No matter what you're going for, you need to do a few steps, firstly you obviously need the bike, but you also need a Pokemon with Fly/Teleport just in case you get stuck, the Pal Pad, the Berry/Roaming app, as well as used the Explorer's Kit once to get the Roark cutscene and entered the Contest Hall. And that's it, you can do all this before the third goddamn badge and it's pretty easy to go from the set up.

After that, we go mostly back the way we came and then use the Explorer's Kit, but we don't actually go down, we'd error out and get kicked back to the title screen, which isn't helpful. Simply back out of the message. And as an aside, any time you save is a checkpoint, so you can go back to it if you screw up. The travel time is exact.

Up and around, another save and reset, then left and down, I won't be mentioning every step, there's a lot of them.

But our goal is ending up and the back of the second floor of the center then refreshing the graphics so the back wall has collision. Then we go full speed into it to bonk, then reload graphics again to walk through the wall to talk to the woman. Then when we save at this point, we restart.

Route 205 Beta

Let's continue, we're now on the path to Darkrai, but Shaymin and Cresselia are also options from here. Arceus is also possible, but the initial set up is a different path to this location since you're tweaking different data. Also don't mind the water, it does that. Anyway, there's a bunch of steps before the tricky one.

We head east until the cursor is above Iron Island, then slowly step by step move to the next square, since the Pedometer doesn't work in specific voids, such as this Battle Tower one. Once we do that, head east 11 steps, refresh the graphics and...

Yup, seems legit.

Anyway, you can catch it if you want, and even move it forward to other games! However, the cheat detection for Pokebank is a little... specific. Darkrai needs to be level 50, doesn't know Pursuit, and caught in Diamond. Yeah it's weird that Pearl makes it illegal, but it's checking it against the one obtained from the Plat event that also makes Diamond legal.

Alright, now to quickly get back to where we were, we just need to head to the second floor of any Pokemon Center.

Since we interrupted the game walking us through the barrier, it'll still try the next time we go here, but since we did it facing down, the game moves us straight down and into the void. Just walk around, run into the wall, talk to the lady and save, reset and boom, we're back! Now if you wanted, you could do the Darkrai path and encounter it again! You can do it as many times as you want, but you can also just save in front of it for shiny hunting. Anyway, let's do Shaymin!

Eterna City Beta

Don't worry about this stuff, it's normal here.

Now when you're in the Mystery Zone, your menu is disabled, however if you need to refresh the graphics, then registering the Town Map is the best way to do it. This does mean you can't get off your bike, so make sure not to overshoot. All that matters is you do the right steps, please take your time

Now that we've refreshed, just head north and it'll load correctly. Event number two reached!

Unfortunately, since it's not a fateful encounter, Shaymin can never be transferred to Bank, nor will get you the Gracidea in any Gen 4 or 5 game that has it. Still, pretty drat easy, catch as many as you'd like. Now for the final one, the big one.

Route 206 Beta

We'll need to do another tweak and travel to the center in a slightly different path. You'll need to wipe the script from the center to do this, so head to the GTS and say you'll go in, but you don't actually have to, easy as that.

This is actually something you want to do, trust me. You'll get kicked back to the title screen, but you saved just before using the kit, so you didn't lose anything.

Then you head a few steps west and Fly/Teleport out, going back to the Center and scripting back into the void again.

Then you go through some lovely scenery. Don't worry about the bright white areas, they're harmless. Promise.

Uh, mostly. During this time you'll also enter the Pal Park, which runs the Prof. Oak encounter if you haven't visited already. Unlike the Contest Hall or Explorer's Crash, you move east to let the prof pass, but we were heading east anyway, so you just gotta make one more step then you would otherwise. The Pal Park capture animation also occurs and your menu changes, meaning you can't use your Bag, but that's fine. It's important. Everything we do is, but that's why Arceus took until TWO YEARS AGO to finally reach, even though the void glitch was found as early as people discovered you could Surf through the doors of the Elite Four in JP DP. They definitely patched that in the localization, but people found Darkrai and Shaymin quick. Arceus is another matter.

Anyway one of the steps is going 1279S, just in case your fingers were getting tired.

But finally, we've made it. It takes a fair bit of RAM tweaking to reach the Hall of Origin, but even if you did get here, it would be empty. That's when the Pal Park Retire glitch was found to activate the third script in the area you were in. Not that the third script doesn't necessarily have to be Script3. This activates Arceus.

But it's not as easy as that. Originally, you needed a new file if you'd already encountered Dialga/Palkia, so I did that and got the path all ready for you guys. Then RETIRE, the one making these rad strats, made a new vid for Arceus that not only let you get a infinite amount from the Hall of Origin, but could also be done whenever, like the other two. You can do all 3 of these strats on your DP cartridges right NOW! But since I did the old Arceus strat, my game crashed when I caught this one and I didn't fancy making another new save file. All you do is walk south, Retire again and you can encounter as many Arceus as you want, all of them from the Hall of Origin.

The reason this is important is two reasons, the old strat had the encounter for Arceus be one tile, which you walked down to and then walked up to Arceus, which put you in the next border area, the Mystery Zone, or Jubilife City, the game counts it as the same. So only the first Arceus was Hall of Origin. It's just nice being able to get as many legit ones as you want without doing the entire thing again. The second is how the game treats a HoO or MZ Arceus. The HoO can be traded to HGSS to activate the Ruins of Alph event as many times as you'd like but cannot be Banked, while the MZ can be, so long as it's level 100 and caught in Diamond. Additionally, since this is level 80, you can EV train it properly, unlike the event one, though standard simulators do not allow this. But regardless of all the various technicalities, if you want to do these void runs, then simply follow these instructions and you should be fine!

Oh, and if you've been wondering this entire time, you can tweak in Pt and HGSS, but entering the void is impossible, since they put up invisible walls everywhere that trap you. You can walk through walls and carry on as normal, but the setups will be completely different and no one's bothered finding them out.

Pre-requisites

Obtain the Bicycle, Pal Pad, Explorer Kit (used once), Tuxedo/Dress from entering the Contest Hall
Pokemon with Fly/Teleport, various Pokeballs for legendary catching
Berry/Marking app

Setup

Tweak into the void, preferably in Jubilife City to enter the back of the Poketch building by reaching a specific point on Route 203 and refreshing graphics, which involves opening a menu. Having the bike registered now is perfectly fine.
From there, equip the Pedometer app, boy will you use it, and follow the directions very specifically. There might be room for error, might not, you'll find out at the end.
1 S
Go east until you reach Mystery Zone, then get on your bike and go back until you're exactly where you were.
17 W
14 N
415 W
Save and reset
380 E
Use Explorer Kit, but back out from the first message.
480 N
260 E
Save and reset
214 W
479 S
Reload graphics
Full speed south, bonk on north center wall
Reload graphics
2 S and 3 W to talk to Center lady, facing down, let her save your game and then reset

DARKRAI
Will only transfer to Bank if caught in Diamond and is level 50 having forgotten Pursuit, can be shiny, but it's not a guarantee.

36 E
260 S
70 W
60 S
27 W
32 E
32 N
Save and reset
Pedometer no longer works, so use the Berry/Marking app to track your location, nice and slowly
Go east until your marker is above Iron Island, then go 1 step east until your marker moves to the next square.
11 E
Save and reset
Enter forest and battle Darkrai! Take boat back to Canalave and Fly back to any Pokemon Center when finished.
Go upstairs and the script will dump you back into the void
4 W
15 N
6 E
Reload graphics
Reload graphics
2 S and 2 E to talk to Center lady, facing down, let her save your game and then reset

SHAYMIN
Due to not being fateful encounter, will never transfer to Bank

Register Town Map, watch your steps on the bike, take your time.
132 E
160 S
352 E
96 S
287 E
Reload graphics with Town Map
126 E
1 N
48 E
2 E
1 S
Save and reset
Reload graphics
North to Flower Paradise, fight Shaymin, easy
Return back to Seabreak Path, Fly back. If you want to repeat these routes again, or even void to Cresselia, then repeat the second floor center void.
Otherwise, go to the GTS and agree to enter, but you don't have to save or whatever.

ARCEUS

Same pre-requisites as before
Tweak into Poketch Co again
1 S
17 W
18 S
Use Bike
33 N
415 W
Save and reset
384 E
Use Explorer Kit, but back out from the first message.
479 N
256 E
Save and reset
214 W
479 S
Refresh graphics
Reload graphics
2 S and 3 W to talk to Center lady, facing down, let her save your game and then reset
511 S
Use Explorer Kit and now go all the way, since you're in RAM, the game doesn't know where to place you in the Underground and crashes, this is intentional.
32 W
Fly/Teleport to any Center
Go upstairs and the script will dump you back into the void
4 W
13 N
Refresh graphics
2 N
6 E
Reload graphics
Reload graphics
2 S and 2 E to talk to Center lady, facing down, let her save your game and then reset
2 S
Use Bike
32 S
Register Town Map, watch your steps on the bike, take your time.
96 S
160 E
97 N
63 E
32 S
32 E
32 S
64 E
1 E
1 S
If you have not visited the Pal Park before, after cutscene: 63 E
If you have visited Pal Park before: 64 E
64 N
96 N
1 N and Pal Park encounter starts, nothing else happens, but your menu, if you can open it, has the Retire option
1 S
193 W
256 S
64 W
160 S
64 W
1279 S
96 W

Now there are two Arceus to obtain, the Hall of Origin, or the Mystery Zone, you can get either, or both, as long as you do all steps for one before attempting the other.

Hall of Origin:

3 S
RETIRE
Capture Arceus, not battle, not run, capture
1 S
RETIRE
Defeat or run, DO NOT CAPTURE, GAME WILL CRASH
Repeat the first step for infinite HoO Arceus that can be shiny, not that you can Bank them anyway.

Mystery Zone:

2 S
RETIRE
Capture Arceus, not battle, not run, capture
Repeat the first step for infinite MZ Arceus that can be shiny, though can only be Banked if regular, level 100 and caught in Diamond.

And there we go, as easy as that. If something didn't work, you're fine to try again from your last save, but it's never a done deal. Have fun!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phew. We done? Cool. Well that was a lot of fun, I hope you enjoyed this very good game, I had an absolute blast, which bodes well for future two screen games oh boy. Thanks for still being here, we're halfway through the series, so I guess I'm doing them all? This took about a month longer than I expected, but it was still chock full of everything I wanted to go over. Little bit shorter than I was expecting, update wise, but that's always tricky to tell.

See you later for some children's card games.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I didn't know any of the void stuff beyond being vaguely aware that it existed. How do people find out this sort of thing :psyduck:

Thanks for an excellent LP of an excellent game :) Looking forward to the next one.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Black Robe posted:

I didn't know any of the void stuff beyond being vaguely aware that it existed. How do people find out this sort of thing :psyduck:

Thanks for an excellent LP of an excellent game :) Looking forward to the next one.

The void is nothing, just look at the absolute lunatics that created a self-replicating virus save for Pokemon Red. Glitch hunters are loving crazy.

Thanks for the LP, Crosspeice! :toot:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This was a joy to follow and I was looking forward to every update. You went above and beyond showing the differences to Diamond, and it really explained well why you love Platinum so much and why I loathed Diamond.

Super hyped for the games that rekindled my interest in Pokemon, godspeed with that next project!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I kind of wish they did a modern trading card game rpg. It was a dumb and fun way to play a tcg without all the baggage that makes those terrible.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Seabreak Path looks god-drat silly - and you probably messed up eco-systems and trade routes with this massive stonepath. But, oh well, things happen.

I am really not a fan of mythical Pokémon. While the first three generations were not too interesting, starting with Gen. 4 there are more and more special moves, special abilities, interesting type combinations and all that stuff that would be super dope to use in an underleveled playthrough - but you can't because all the work that went into making those creatures is locked behind timed events or other games.

But that stuff aside your LP was great. I really enjoyed that party, especially Skulletor, Nack and Huevo.
Since even Platinum couldn't fix just how much junk is in the Sinnoh-Dex, especially on early routes, every Gen. 4 playthrough focussing on new Pokémon has the trifecta of Luxray, Floatzel and Staravia looming over it. Managing to substitute even one of them is already an achievement.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the LP.

My favorite Arceus fact is that there exists a ???-type Arceus.

See, the ???-type was added in Gen 2 and given to the move Curse. The move Curse still had ???-type in Gens 3 and 4, but because it's a status move this didn't even matter at all. For Gen 5, this type was removed (Curse became a ghost-move). The only other time you could see this type was in Gale of Darkness, when you used Weather Ball under a Shadow Sky. This attack did neutral damage against all types, just like Struggle (the move you use if you run out of PP). Why this type was ever introduced, I don't know.

Anyway, Arceus changes colour depending on which plate you give it, and they put a sprite in for Arceus for every single type, including ???, even though there's no ???-plate.

There's no way to get to it at all without hacking, but it exists:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the LP! I'm not the biggest fan of this generation -- ok, they're my least favorite games I'm the series -- but this LP reminded me of how much fun I had with them. So, thank you for bringing back part of my childhood, I guess.

I've never played the TCG or any of the games related to it! Really looking forward to the next LP.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I suspect the ability to tweak and void places has more to do with event locations getting removed than the difficulty of catching arceus, but I could be wrong.

also, the reason Curse is ???-type is because, through the sheer power of japanese puns, it was basically two different moves, Curse for ghosts and Dull for everything else.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Phew, what a ride. Thanks for taking us through this in such detail once more, with feeling.

There's a lot of odd quirks about our trio of legends here, too:
-So you actually get a second shot at Darkrai if you KO it in the dream. You can go talk to the sailor whose kid was having nightmares from Darkrai and go to the island again and if you KO'd it it will be there. iirc none of the event legends will respawn if you beat the e4 like the normal legends do, so Darkrai is a little special here.
-Shaymin uses the normal battle theme, rather than the legendary battle theme.I guess because it's so small and fairly normal, but it's funny when Rotom got the legendary theme
-Arceus' battle theme, as a battle theme is unused. As crosspiece said, the DP & Pt events were never released and Arceus has only been given away in the future. It was thankfully repurposed in the HGSS Arceus event and included on the HGSS soundtrack. To reflect it not being a battle theme anymore, instead of being called "Battle (Arceus) or "Vs. Arceus" it is simply called "Arceus'.
-However, Arceus Appears is COMPLETELY unused. It wasn't reused for the Triad Stage event and was never included on any soundtrack to my knowledge.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Great job on the LP.

I still have no idea what was up with that creepy guy that was holding the reservation at the inn. Was that part of the nightmare? And how did you teleport to the island while having a nightmare?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
The narration was wrong about Darkrai. It is, in fact, kind of a dick.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Fun LP was fun, glad I was here for it :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, thanks for the LP. Never got very far into these games since when I got my hands on a DS, Heart Gold just came out and that took all my time until Black. Can't wait to see more obscure Pokemon games tho.