Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

rannum posted:

They did the same thing with Sword & Shield: Steel Beam won a contest and is a 140 BP special steel move that deals 50% recoil damage.

Neat, I haven't heard of that one before! I was gonna say that shouldn't it have been a Physical move but then I guess that depends on what kind of 'steel beam' it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Considering Steel has jack loving poo poo for Special moves, I'm assuming it was a 'fill this void no matter how little sense it makes' situation.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

dungeon cousin posted:

Neat, I haven't heard of that one before! I was gonna say that shouldn't it have been a Physical move but then I guess that depends on what kind of 'steel beam' it is.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Steel_Beam_(move)

quote:

The Japanese name of this move literally means an "all-out resistance" (徹底抗戦 tettei-kōsen), while also incorporating puns on 鋼鉄 kōtetsu (steel) and 光線 kōsen (beam).

French and Spanish have "Metalaser", Italian has "Raggio d'Acciaio" and German has "Stahlstrahl". Kinda feel English got the short end of the stick here. At least it's better than Draco Meteor, whose pun is lost in most non-Japanese translations.

Haifisch posted:

Considering Steel has jack loving poo poo for Special moves, I'm assuming it was a 'fill this void no matter how little sense it makes' situation.

Probably going to be Duraludon-exclusive though, if I had to guess.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Porygon-Z can be a monster with the advent of, funnily enough, Z moves. Z-Conversion gives it the spectrum of 1.5x stat ups and gives it a typing of your choice, so it can become Electric or Dark on command and then wreck the metagame with Adaptability-boosted Thunderbolts and Dark Pulses, and then leaning on frighteningly competent defenses with Recover.

Or you could Z-Hyper Beam, if you're a fuckin' buster.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Procrastine posted:

French and Spanish have "Metalaser", Italian has "Raggio d'Acciaio" and German has "Stahlstrahl". Kinda feel English got the short end of the stick here. At least it's better than Draco Meteor, whose pun is lost in most non-Japanese translations.

Metalaser is not more interesting than Steel Beam, it's the same but as a single word. if anything, at least Steel Beam can have a funny second meaning, Metalaser can only be what it says.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can’t wait for the next contest, I’m gonna submit a Jet Fuel

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Metalaser is not more interesting than Steel Beam, it's the same but as a single word. if anything, at least Steel Beam can have a funny second meaning, Metalaser can only be what it says.

I just find compound words cooler than separate words, I thought it was disappointing when Gen 6 changed ExtremeSpeed to Extreme Speed. The lack of a space makes it faster!

Steel Beam would be a fine name for a 70-90 power Steel move, but as a name for "the strongest Steel move", it's underwhelming.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Are people really hating on the cool, punny move name?

Shame on all of you.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 26: Eliter: Battle Champion

You're challenging the Pokemon League, aren't you? That's why I'm here, too. Let's see who's more worthy of making the challenge with a battle!

Rival Battle

Hey get back here! Ugh, alright let's take this wall down. After trading Snorlax over from HGSS, cause why the hell would you try and catch a Munchlax, you've got a big special blob that gets a wide manner of physical attacks. From Belly Drum to Body Slam, Rock Slide to Ice Punch, it's a great choice that'll take a hit and retaliate in kind. Physical bulk kinda blows, but such is the teddy bear's life.

Thankfully Huevo has enough oomph to take it down.

Very scary Fighting moves.

But I live, and Roserade is as effective as ever. It just can't handle Etrian.

Ah, so this is the illegal mixed ape I've heard so much about. That's annoying.

Still, we have very fast things, so it's not too bad. Kinda.

And then we're done here. If you were thinking I wouldn't use supereffective attacks for this Elite Four, you're outta your goddamn mind. The games are actually hard now.

"to you!"

Darn it! You watch, though! I'll get tougher and win my way through the Pokemon League! Because I'm going to become the Champion, the toughest Trainer! Hikari! You'd better not lose to anyone before me!

Before we go in, of course we look over our team. They've been 6 real hard hitters and it's been a joy to use. Torterra has its problems, but man is it deadly, whacking with Wood Hammer is such fun, and that Quick Claw has been useful the entire time, love using it casually. You forget that he's Modest, but I'm sure we can do something about that, physical coverage is just too prevalent.

Radium has done exactly what I expected him to do, drop bolts because he doesn't have other options. Sure, Return and Crunch have been nice, but lategame when fainting and Revival Herbs are common place, it's not the nuke it used to be, even with the Soothe Bell. No matter, we'll get around that soon enough.

Another physical attacker blessed with more options, Ice Beam would've been great, but the flinch chance of Ice Fang is hard to move away from. And a third Crunch is overkill, but still great. Barely the fastest in our team, being able to slam threats hard has made this a great option.

Adamant Skulletor should be illegal, but it's not and here we are. God I love glass cannons so much, did exactly what it said on the tin, even if the tin disintegrates if you so much as Mach Punch it. But that doesn't matter, when Skulletor is out, something loving dies. It's a coinflip which side.

Dependable egg birb is dependable, being the only proper special attacker we have, Huevo can solo basically anything if he's fast and lucky enough, which happens wildly often. With practically perfect coverage and space to be lumped with the less than stellar HMs means he hasn't stood out, but was worth the goddamn investment, 10/10 would recommend.

Oh look another glass cannon, I think you guys have figured out my playstyle. A beautiful combo of types and just what I need to get out of sticky situations, Nack has been exactly what I picked him up for and it's been great. X-Scissor was good to get him going, but the excellent options this physical monster has available is just wonderful.

Very well! Trainer, you've indeed collected all the Gym Badges of Sinnoh! Demonstrate the power that brought you here and go for glory!

Pokemon League

Alright, this is it, the big time. Bring all your healing items and juice up your mons with Rare Candy. I lucked into Pokerus, so I think this is gonna be a fun time, if very scary.

I'm Aaron of the Elite Four. It's good to meet you. Oh, I should explain, I'm a huge fan of bug Pokemon. Bug Pokemon are nasty-mean, and yet they're beautiful, too... would you like to know why I take on challengers here? It's because I want to become perfect, just like my bug Pokemon! OK! Let me take you on!

Elite Four Battle

Aaron/Ryō
From arachnid, I suppose, and 令法 ryōbu (Japanese Clethra), a large flowering shrub from east Asia.

It's time to meet the rest of the dex in this update, and guess what, Bugs are good now. Not in DP, oh no, we'll talk about those teams later on, but with a Speed increase, this fly gets quickly out of control. Its movepool doesn't really match, the best special move it can get STILL is Ancientpower, Air Slash and Bug Buzz are still a little bits away, but at least you have, uh, Silver Wind and Air Cutter? Yeesh. Well it has some good stuff, Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, U-turn, Roost, so while it can't take a hit, or Fly you around, it's perfectly fine until you unleash its potential in the postgame.

You can see how scary this madlad's team is, ignore the second levels for now, they're the rematch ones, which is a pretty poor debut considering barely anything changes, but I digress. We'll be going all out in this challenge, so battles will be short, but sweet.

Emerging from the dark, Drapion might not hit massively hard, but it makes up for that with some attack variety and a way to do lots of crits with Night Slash and Cross Poison. Oh wait, the former is an egg move and the latter is postgame level up. Well at least you can tutor the elemental fangs and give it Poison Jab. There's also Rock Slide and Earthquake, so what's the problem? You even get Bug Bite for STA- wait. So you don't get a crit machine, but you still get a big bad bug that's not a bug. Just how it should be.

Speed can only take us so far, since Nack can't do too much against a Heracross. Interesting it didn't go for Close Combat.

Yas queen, don't slay, I need to win. If you were blessed with a female, then you'll get an early defensive Bug/Flying type. Hrm. The main draw are her three signature moves, though Defend Order is relearner and Attack Order is good, but will be a while after you're stuck with Power Gem, least you've got Bug Bite from Combee. Otherwise, there's Sludge Bomb, Aerial Ace and Air Cutter, depending on how you want to do things. Uh, then there's Ominous Wind via tutor? Unfortunately this queen bee doesn't have much to her, a shame they thought her unique moves were enough.

Even with those defenses, a 4x Rock weakness is just awful.

But I think you came to see how great Bug-type Pokemon can be. I hope you also realized what you're up against in the Pokemon League. Battling is a deep and complex affair...

We lost because I wasn't good enough... that's it! Back to training camp! Let's hear it for me! No... that was wrong... anyway... go to the next room! Three Trainers are waiting for you. They're all tougher than me. Go on, go to the next room. I'm going to become a top-level Trainer who can't be outclassed with my beautiful and tough bug Pokémon!

Wasn't too bad, but it's still a hectic first fight. By the way, you ever wondered why I use Aaron for various avatar related purposes? Not on the forums, obviously, I like my lovely avatar just fine, but for others. Well, it's a bit embarrassing, but when I was first doing this whole online forum stuff, obviously I started with Pokemon and this was around the time of Platinum, so I thought, hey, this guy's entry animation is great, I'll use it. And then the more I thought about it, the more I realised that Aaron is pretty close to how I look. Minus the apple stalk, obviously. I think he's a pretty cool guy. Did you care about my online backstory? Well, me neither. Onwards!

You're quite the adorable Trainer, but you've also got a spine. Ahaha! I'm Bertha. I have a preference for Ground-type Pokemon. Well, would you show this old lady how much you've learned?

Bertha/Kikuno
From earth and 菊 Kiku (chrysanthemum), which originate from east asia.

Big fish, big hammer, cardboard dead. I think I've mixed that up.

Lotta elemental coverage around, let's get rid of it. Gliscor is interesting in that it learns no STAB via level up, but that's not a problem, Earthquake and Aerial Ace are easy and early TMs and you get the elemental fangs through relearner and if you evolve it before 31, get Night Slash and Swords Dance basically immediately, with U-turn and X-Scissor shortly after. Add in some TMs like Rock Slide and Brick Break and you've got a speedy hitter that can take anything that's not Surf or an Ice attack, it really is that easy. Imagine if it got a better ability too, it'd be pretty drat ridiculous.

And one of the last reasons to have a friend, Golem is a real hard hitter that dies to any proper special move. From the elemental punches, to Gyro Ball, to all the main physical moves you can think of, while it might like Trick Room, it works just fine without it, and will be an excellent choice if you can evolve it immediately. It even learns a bunch of special moves for Choice Spec- ah just kidding.

You thought Rhydon was crazy before, what if you added a hi-vis jacket? It has terrifying physical stats so it gets washed away by an special attack, but if you let it get off a hit, it'll definitely annihilate you. While it's signature move ain't much to write about, by this time it'll learn Hammer Arm, Stone Edge and Earthquake naturally, with Megahorn still to come. Sounds like a good set, along with Poison Jab from relearner. And of course it learns basically every TM and tutor move, so pick and choose what you're missing and have a good time! I mean, it's obvious from looking at it what it does, and it goes even beyond that! Works better in Trick Room, obviously.

I even went for the physical move so you could do something back. Oh well, see ya!

From the sand it lunges, Hippowdon is a good Tyranitar altervative, since it doesn't have a bunch of extra weaknesses, but doesn't have as much oomph to it. The best its got is Crunch, Earthquake, Rock Slide and the elemental fangs from the relearner, but that's about it, aside from Superpower or Iron Head from tutors. Sounds pretty good, so have fun with your Sand Veil Garchomp, but there's not much else to note, unless you wanna sweep in Trick Room?

Your Pokemon believed in you and did their best to earn you the win. Even though I've lost, I find myself with this silly grin!

I like how you and your Pokemon earned the win by working as one. That's what makes you so strong. Ahahaha! I think that you can go as far as you want. The Trainer in the next room is a much more formidable opponent. You really must have your wits about you. However, I think you can go as far as you desire. Ahahaha!

Pretty simple fight, but some of them were pretty scary, hence the all out attacks. I could probably get far without supereffective hits, but it only gets harder from here.

You had me counting the days on my fingers waiting for you to come. I heard from Volkner what you did in Sunyshore. You managed to light a fire in that guy's heart again. How could you not expect me to look forward to seeing you in battle? You're facing a Fire-type Pokemon user with me. Let Flint see how hot your spirit burns!

Flint/Ōba
From "flint sparks the fire" and 大葉 ōba (Shiso), purple mint leaves from east asia. As well as オーバーヒート (Overheat).

Well this isn't going to work out. We've met most of the mons in this team, for a change, so we can talk strategy, since these matches are getting pretty hard.

Will Quick Claw let Etrian come out on top?

Yes. Kinda.

Turns out Flareon can survive a Stone Edge. When Skulletor is burned.

Can't your home planet need you after the battle???

With an explosive entrance, Magmortar is a fiery duck that has some mixed utility to it, at the cost of middling Speed. It can spend all day using Lava Plume or Fire Blast, mixed in with Psychic, Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, but it gets all the good physical stuff like Rock Slide and Earthquake to give it a few more options. Hell, there's even Solarbeam or Iron Tail if you're feeling fruity. And you're always feeling fruity. While it cannot take a physical attack, and has all rounded stats which are slowly going out of favour, this is still one special threat.

Pretty terrifying, but a speedy hitter helps a lot.

I don't believe it! I lost! I didn't take you for granted... but I didn't expect you to win! I'd never even considered it! I'm blown away by this! You are your Pokemon are hot stuff!

... ... ... ... ...whew... ...burnt right down to cinders... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...keep going...

Only one more member to go and then we're done! Yep, nobody after this, haha...

I've just finished reading a book, you see. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Lucian. I am a user of the Psychic type. I must say, you've already proven yourself to be outstanding by coming this far. They say I am the toughest of the Elite Four. I'm afraid I will have to go all out against you to live up to that reputation.

Lucian/Goyō
From lux (Latin for light) and illusion, and 五葉松 goyōmatsu (Japanese white pine), a popular bonsai tree.

Get that dual screen poo poo outta here. Uh, right, Gallade, if you fancy using your first physical Psychic, then this is a great choice, so long as you get a male. The relearner gives it Leaf Blade and Night Slash immediately in time for the 5th gym, which is very nice, and if you evolve it before 31, you'll get Psycho Cut, with Brick Break or Drain Punch to round out the STAB, since Close Combat is a far away postgame dream. And this is before you add in all the other physical moves, Ice Punch, Rock Slide, X-Scissor, False Swipe, it's a very, very versatile mon that you can adapt to whatever challenge is next. Its typing covers its weaknesses very nicely so it could probably take a hit, definitely give it a try if you haven't already!

Good thing Etrian is so tanky, lets it actually live the recoil once in a while!

Oh hey, Espeon hits really goddamn hard, who knew.

Hmm, opposing Bronzong are almost always Levitate, but we don't have a Fire attack...

Let's just be illegal instead.

Oww, Huevo is the only one who can really take a hit, especially since it outspeeds Nack AND THEN hits a Focus Blast. That's also illegal. Anyway, Alakazam just doesn't change, aside from losing the reason for elemental punches. It has Focus Blast and Energy Ball to cover for them, kinda, but it's fast, hits hard, dies, what a surprise. It'll learn Psycho Cut before Psychic, for some reason, but you get Calm Mind along the way, so no moaning! Be grateful your summer friend still returns your discord @s.

You getting past the three before me was no fluke. Your power is real.

However, that doesn't mean you're done with the Pokemon League. There remains the Champion. I should warn you--the Champion is far stronger than the Elite Four. Now, go on. Step through the doorway to your final battle. I'll be reading books until the next challenger arrives. That will calm my nerves, so that I may deal with all situations without panicking.

Well that was a nice starter, glad there wasn't too much resistance. But let's be real, this is what you've been looking forward to the entire LP. Me too. Because I'm about to get loving destroyed, and that's exactly how I like it.

:siren: Champion Challenge :siren:

Thank you for Mt. Coronet. And for the Distorion World. I'm truly grateful. Together, you and your Pokemon overcame all the challenges you faced, however difficult. It means you've triumphed over any personal weaknesses, too. The power you learned... I can feel it emanating from you. But that's enough talk. Let's get on with why you're here. As the Pokemon League Champion, I accept your challenge!

:siren: Champion Battle :siren:

Cynthia/Shirona

From synthesis, combining different elements, which she does in her team, as well as from the Greek goddess of the moon, Artemis, a parellel to Cyrus, whose name refers to the sun.

Also from 白南天 shironanten (white-fruited nandina), a tall evergreen shrub that is pink during the summer and a deep red during the winter.

Pretty scary team, imagine if you faced this with a weaker team in DP where she was even stronger? Well, that doesn't sound like something I'd do, so let's deal with Spiritomb. It has no weaknesses, so it'll sure to give me a heart attack, a sheer one at that, but it can't avoid flinches and doesn't do too much back. We'll have to pick this team apart one at a time.

This would be a little easier if I had some physical STAB, but maybe I'll get a lucky cri-

LITTLE EARLY FOR THIS DON'T YOU THINK?! While not as broken as Gen 1 Mewtwo, boy does this monster get close. With fantastic Atk and Spd, it even has enough HP to bolster its defensive stats. Obviously getting STAB Earthquake is crazy, but if you wait one level on Gabite, you also get an early Dragon Rush, which has a low accuracy specifically to nerf this mon as an opponent, imagine if it used Outrage! Its SpAtk is also fine enough that it can run Fire Blast over Fire Fang and even throw out a Draco Meteor then solely use physical attacks. You could almost say it's an unstoppable monster that needs to be banned, it can even live a couple Ice attacks and you can add in some Sand Veil bullshit! If you added any more crazy dragons into the game next gen, then you might have to add an entire type just to counteract them! But that sounds silly. There's really not much to say, this monster gets all the stats and moves it needs to effortlessly blow away all of the competition.

Still, I knew this was coming, so I made preparations, this is your moment, Nack, can you OHKO this monster???

Oh. Oh poo poo.

Thankfully Nack outspeeds, otherwise the best strategy against this thing is dodging Dragon Rush. Uh, that's about it. Good luck!

I keep expecting the physical fighters, but I suppose we fought one of those... many moons ago.

Please stop clowning all over me, the clown.

As the fights get harder, Radium hasn't been having an easy time, what with not having the best move for his stats.

But Pokerus lets him drop the thunder!!!

Hah, you were expecting a special Floatzel? How ridiculous! Milotic is a big ol' wall of Water, but can hit back just fine and take special hits, even if they're supereffective. Hydro Pump really surprises, but Surf is also just fine, as well as Ice Beam and Dragon Pulse, I suppose, not much else, but with Recover, Aqua Ring, Safeguard or Refresh, it probably won't go anywhere and that's where the fun begins.

Well okay I guess I'll use someone else.

There's been a fair few Full Restores in this fight, always are, but thankfully our team hits hard enough it's not a big deal. Doesn't really apply to Milotic.

A few Def drops made it much more manageable, we're onto the last mon!

Against a tired team, finally a Roserade shows how scary it can be.

This is his first appearance, but I've been trying to use Skulletor this entire fight, problem is everything is pretty fast and tends to carry supereffective coverage. Like think of her team, only Spiritomb doesn't have something like that. Real shame, but Etrian can close this out!

Probably didn't matter, but we're outta here, and without Curse strats! Just endless Revival Herbs, like always.

And just now, you became the most powerful of all the Trainers. You are now our newest Champion!

You gave the support your Pokemon needed to maximize their power. And you guided them with certainty to secure victory. You have both passion and calculating coolness. Together, you and your Pokemon can overcome any challenge that may come your way. Those are the impressions I got from our battle. I'm glad I got to take part in the crowning of Sinnoh's new Champion! Come with me. We'll take the lift.

Hall of Fame

Oh, hello Professor Rowan.

Hm! A child I enlisted for my Pokedex project has come this far... it's only natural that I come and witness the child's crowning glory. Hikari! I shouldn't call you a child anymore. You've grown into a real Champion!

Professor, you still enjoy the enthusiasm kids bring to your research, don't you? Hikari, step this way, please. Professor Rowan, please join us.

If your last time here was when I became Champion, then yes, that would be quite a long time ago. Hikari, welcome to the Hall of Fame. Your names will be recorded in posterity here. What you are leaving are the memories of your adventure so far. It's time to record you names. You and your Pokemon. Remember, your Pokemon are partners that grew with you through many challenging battles. This machine will make a permanent record of your achievement.

Champions

What a team, what a game. It's always so crazy to reach this point, thinking that the whole thing is over. But this is Gen 4, we know that's not the case.

Ending

It's a slow credits sequence cycling home. From an island. Uh, anyway, wow, another one done! I was glad to have the Etrian Odyssey break, cause I was looking forward to this, and it was an absolute beauty.

Thanks for continuing to follow me. I don't wanna know how long I've been doing this stuff, it's been over 4 years, but I'm only still halfway through the series? Well, I'll catch up eventually!

There's a few flashback images, but none of its personal stuff, so it's whatever. Like I said at the start, Platinum is one of my favourite games, Sinnoh is my favourite region, that hasn't changed. I will say that this LP went exactly how I was expecting, I did kinda know basically everything about this game already, so that takes out some of my excitement. But god this is just a million times better to play than all the others so far.

Cheers to all those who submitted, posted, read, criticised, corrected, you know the drill, I always act like we're done here. Oh no. OH NOOOOOOO, this game is far from over, and while I always want to move onto my next LP by the time we reach this bit, it still doesn't make it any less fun.

I hope I was able to show why this game is great, that you don't really need to hassle with HM slaves, that it has amazing moments even if it's not crazy quick gameplay. I adore this game, I had great fun with the team and I'm stoked we saw all 210 Pokemon, I nervously counted before the Elite Four like always, but catching everything as I go is always a new experience for me, and it always felt like something new was just around the corner, great fun.

But that's all for now, there will be a little bonus thing next update, but after that, we're diving straight into the postgame, there's a whole new zone to explore, after all!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Nice finish to the game, very clean! Cynthia always gives me trouble and not just because of the Garchomp. She's probably the toughest champion in the series, just a lot to prepare for and her levels (especially in DP) can be so scary. I've played the Sinnoh games at least 3 times and every time it's always devolving into revive stalling while I beg for a miss at a critical juncture.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the great LP :) I really like this team!! I've used a few of them before myself (my togekiss in Heart Gold was amazing) so it's extra fun to see them rocking their way across a new play through.

I've never seen the Platinum post game and I don't remember the DP post game, so this will be interesting. I hope.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This LP has been fantastic. I absolutely loved your little "looking back" screenshots from old updates for the badges and the hall of fame, that was actually kind of touching.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Woo, we're champions! :toot: I'm proud of the team, they did a good job. If Togepi is in SwSh, I might even go for Togekiss, seeing as it's the only member of your team that I've never used before, and now I kinda want to!

Cynthia remains my favorite champion of the series to date, she's just so cool :swoon:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
:toot:

Did we miss Cyrus' backstory?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PMush Perfect posted:

This LP has been fantastic. I absolutely loved your little "looking back" screenshots from old updates for the badges and the hall of fame, that was actually kind of touching.

That wasn't Cross, the game does that. Always makes me smile.

This is still my favourite game of them all. I'm still wistfully dreaming of a Sinnoh remake, but it doesn't really need one, it fixed almost all the issues Diamond and Pearl had and it's just a fun game. (They should still do it though.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So given that the elite 4 rematches seem to just be level boosted, would this be a good time to talk about Flint's original team? Because, oh boy that original team can certainly have some words said about it.

It was pretty cool seeing Aaron's real job after only seeing him moonlight as an lp commentator for so long

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Elite 4, Champions & The Champion’s League

The Elite 4 in the anime are rarely used & ill defined up to this point. It took until Battle Frontier to see all of the gen 1 E4, Will & Karen never showed up at all, & Drake was the only Hoenn member to show his face.

But with Diamond & Pearl, they decided to pull on just about every important member and finally, finally give some context to what the hell an Elite 4 even is & how you’d ever face them beyond vaguely strong trainer.

Lucian

Which starts with Lucian, so I will too. We meet Lucian pretty early on, the 35th episode, and of all people it’s Dawn who faces him in an attempt to bond with and understand her new Buizel. In the games he’s uhhh what you see. A generally nice bookworm. Character trait: books. In the anime they lessen on the books and lean more on his experience and recognizing issues/spunk in others (like Buizel) to help people out. He actually turns down Ash’s request so they can fight once he wins the Sinnoh League which is...always funny….

The way the whole battle plays out is kind of ridiculous. He completely trounces Buizel in 3 moves, puts Buizel into a depression and then lets Buizel get so mad at Team Rocket kidnapping it to force a decision on if it’ll give up battling or not. Then HE commands Buizel to take care of TR to show Dawn how to read the Buizel’s battle rhythm. The final lesson being hey maybe realize your Pokemon likes to be more offensive and head on. And you know sometimes you gotta put someone into a depressive fugue state to do it!

But the big thing is that we’re introduced to The Champion’s League. Every region has their own Champion’s League that you only get access to once you’ve beaten that region’s respective Pokemon League. At that point you get to challenge the elite 4 and then the Champion, just like in the games. Which makes sense but also they literally never mention this before, so it was an exciting bit of world building.

As you can imagine, bringing this up so early on in a season that would wind up being the most competent Ash’s ever been...people had some high hopes that this was going to lead to Ash finally win the League and then move on. And then presumably lose but hey the context would be different!

We do get to see snippets of the Champion’s League after this introduction but, spoiler, Ash doesnt make it. And the only times it gets referenced in other seasons is in a few Unova episodes. And considering the trajectory that Alola is going I think it’s going to just be silently ignored….

Aaron

Bug boy is next, kind of treated like an idol. He’s training in a public venue, he works out constantly, he plays to his fans and all the magazines are talking about it and there’s long lines and the whole nine yards. The E4 are always held in high regard (Ash & Brock freak out over Bruno, Lorelei has tons of people fawning over hr) but this one really played into the starstruck aspect.
Plot twist, though: he was a total poo poo when he was a kid. His first pokemon was a Wurmple and after his first loss he threw a tantrum and the Wurmple ran away. Unlike other assholes he learned from this and is a genuinely nice guy but it is, as you imagine, a sore spot. Don’t worry though, the Wurmple (now a Beautifly) reunites at the end and together they decide to fight Cynthia.
Oh right that’s the other thing about the Elite 4 in this setting, they can continually challenge the champion in a bid to get the championship of their own. We don’t get a lot of context about it, like if they have to fight the other E4 members before hand. Do you think the Pokemon League Champions get put on an E4 list for future replacements? Give me the lore, Pokemon!

Also he loses, the next episode they have the match on TV and we see the aftermath. That’s what you get for bringing a butterfly to a shark match!

Bertha

Look out everyone cool grandma coming through! She’s in town to help train a cousin’s son, but doesn’t like being called an Elite 4 in public. I guess it’s meant to be the opposite of how Aaron plays into the superstar aspect. The kid’s Magby gets kidnapped by Team Rocket through an “instant evolution” day care scheme and the episode is crusiing around the cool SUV to take them down. They get it back, Bertha imparts some stern lessons in not taking shortcuts and taking responsibility for your pokemon.

But the big even is Brock does a faux pas and lets it slip she’s an E4 and kind of begrudgingly fights Ash. Hippowdon vs Torterra, battle of the big boys is a pretty nice battle considering its 2 lumbering slow pokes. Bertha does her “stern lessons” thing about being more observant in battle which...he actually is pretty observant in battle. It’s a plot point even, I’m pretty sure? This is kind of their go-to thing for imparting lessons to Ash if it isn’t about being suddenly-for-this-episode overconfident.

Flint

Flint had the most to build off of for the anime, so they stuck to it pretty closely and expanded on it. Flint has known Volkner since they were kids, when Volkner would battle street alley gangs and poachers in his hometime, and became E4/Gym Leader at about the same time after several years.

When Volkner became gym leader he started pushing technological advancements but also became way less interested in battling to the point that he just gives away badges. Flint had been continuing to come visit in an attempt to relight the fire in Volkner and after hitting it off with Ash the two have a battle (Flint wins (Spoilers)) that despite Ash’s loss the performance gets him interested again to actually open up the gym.

He sticks around to provide color commentary and help out the town when Team Rocket steals the giant lighthouse/gym/power silo/rocket. It’s all very silly, but he’s a cool guy and they had fun with him. He makes one last appearance after the league where Ash is in a funk, but then seees Flint & Cynthia battling to reignite his passion (Flint loses).

Also they added a bartender (“the Proprietor”) who used to be a poacher after being defeated by Volkner & Flint as children. Now they’re besties and a way to have bar scenes with the gang. No alcohol though. Don’t ask what’s in the bottles.

And hey here’s a fun filler character, a fangirl who never actually meets Flint but tries her beest to mimic him. The filler’s weird it’s got like 3 things going on between the Flint copycat, her having ditto with all the ditto shenanigans, an inexplicable Zapdos cameo in a flashback that won her the battle through fear alone...wouldn’t be too out of place in Kanto’s seasons.

Cyntha

Cynthia is the most involved champion in the series. She shows up frequently, she brushes against the evil team several times, she helps Ash out several times, and she gets to be heavily involved in the cliamx. She’s super competent, stays calm and collected, her Garchomp is bullshit and she’s super interested in Sinnoh’s Space-Time myth. And also a little aloof at times. Probably the most 1:1 with her game counterpart, although she is much more actively involved with the Mt. Coronet climax basically acting in place of Barry.

Surprisingly in her first appearance it’s not Ash rushing to challenge her to a battle, it’s Paul (to a full battle, even). Did you guess: A Garchomp no-sells almost everything and completes a full cleansweep? Congrats, it’s the most owned Paul’s ever gotten. The closest he gets to doing anything is tricking Garchomp into a Giga Impact so he can get some hits in.

She also shows up in Best Wishes Season 2 which is a whole thing to talk about on its own, but she sticks around as a recurring character for a brief arc in Undella Town which is neat. She’s about the same as she was in DP, but we get to see her play off of Caitlin and Alder and have some adventures with Meloetta. I thought there’d be more to say about her, but she really is about on par with the game so it’s just retreading ground in some aspects. Oh well!

“What...can you say? She’s the Champion...”

But since we’re at the Pokemon League, I would be remiss not to talk about….

Tobias

I’ve mentioned a fair few times by now that Sinnoh is probably the most competent Ash has been. He’s doing strategies, he knows what he’s doing, he has an actual distinct Rival to bounce off of, his team has grown significantly with the only unevolved Pokemon being Pikachu and Buizel and at the League he’s even calling in his reserves. AND we had the whole Champion’s League set up! This is it! Ash is going to win!

Ash did not win.

Tobias is first brought up in passing, as a mysterious trainer who is sweeping his way through the league with a Legendary pokemon that’s eventually revealed to be a Darkrai. It’s very powerful, it sends you to sleep with Dark Void and then just destroys you no questions asked. No one’s even seen his second pokemon, much less the rest of his team.

This Darkrai isn’t even explained. Is it the same one that was shown earlier in the series when they did a Darkrai vs Cresselia episode? Some other Darkrai? How did he get a Darkrai? None of these questions are brought up or explored. So as you can a imagine this got people in a tizzy. Ash was too good, they didn’t want him to win and so they brought in a ringer with no backstory (the only one in the League like this, see my Rivals post) with a ridiculous Pokemon to destroy Ash after he had his big climactic showdown with Paul. Easy to see why people would be upset.

But….I...really like the battle? It’s me. I’m the Tobias apologist.

They did try to do the whole “they were outmatched, BUT--” thing and I think it worked fine. Even they knew Ash just losing to a clean sweep would’ve sucked. So first off, while Ash had to bring in his “C Squad” since all his other Pokemon were still recovering from prior battles he did make a point to bring Heracross to counter Darkrai. It had Megahorn, it’s bug/fighting, and most importantly it had Sleep Talk. It actually got a solid hit in before dying. They pay some lip service to Gible’s Draco Meteor such that, although it missed (dumb), Tobias admits Darkrai would’ve been knocked out if it did hit. Then there’s Sceptile, who was probabyl one of Ash’s “Big 3” at the time and had a pretty great back and forth, broke out of Dark Void and got the KO. I really liked the back and forth, what can I say. Torkoal was also in the battle but just knocked out by a flamethrower vs dark pulse explosion so…

Sceptile getting the KO was the clear bargaining with this. Literally no one lasted this long against Tobias and Ash is the only one to ever see Tobias’ second Pokemon. Too bad that second Pokemon was

Latios. A Latios! Of all things! I still like the resolution to this battle but c’mon writers! At least make it his starter or something. Latios quickly cleans up the now-tired Sceptile and Swellow after a neat air chase leading to the final Pokemon of….Pikachu. But this is the final part that I Think makes it work because it’s not just Pikachu does its best before it faints (spoilers) but it wins. You got it all: Ash turning his hat backwards, their ~*strong bond*~ keeping Pikachu going, Volt Tackle cutting through a giant beam and then a giant suicide run of discharging on Latios’ back to come crashing down together. Latios actually does get knocked out, even.

Tobias still won, of course, since he had another 4 Pokemon (ALL LEGENDS, I ASSUME) left, but I maintain that the battle itself is good and if Ash had to be done dirty than at least this was an interesting way to go out. I mean could you imagine Ash losing to some nobody again, perhaps someone that hypothetically didn’t bring 6 pokemon to a full Battle match. I mean that would just be ridiculous... Comically, we don’t even see the final match (Ash vs Tobias was the semifinals) and just learn that he cleansweeped with Darkrai again; Ash can at least say he beat 2 layers of bullshit when no one can even lay a scratch on Darkrai. We sadly don’t get to see anything of his fight against Cynthia either and it’s not even mentioned when she cameos in Best Wishes; maybe he got beat so bad it wasn’t even worth mentioning. That’d be fun.

One last thing to mention is that before we knew about Tobias & Darkrai, we knew from things like corocoro and arc summaries that there was going to be a trainer with a legendary Pokemon so for a time we thought it was some rando with a Heatran because that was inexplicably just...there. In a background shot at the start of the league, mentioned by no one and never seen after.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Tobias was a lesson to children along the lines of "hey, you, the kid who fights your friends with a team full of legendaries. You're kind of a jackass, stoppit."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I still think Ash deserved to win based on that Sleep Talk/Megahorn combo alone. :colbert:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm kinda a Tobias apologist too. It's a shame Ash had to lose, but by god he went down fighting and beat 2 legendary Pokemon in the process.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Legendaries are just kinda of weird when it comes to the anime. Especially if you try to fit the movies into it too (see Latios, the Regi trio, Zapdos I think had an episode). It seems like a good chunk of them are not actually one of a kind like you would be lead to believe. The though of seeing something like a flock of Latios and Latias just kinda breaks my brain.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Legendaries are just kinda of weird when it comes to the anime. Especially if you try to fit the movies into it too (see Latios, the Regi trio, Zapdos I think had an episode). It seems like a good chunk of them are not actually one of a kind like you would be lead to believe. The though of seeing something like a flock of Latios and Latias just kinda breaks my brain.

I think so far as the anime is concerned most legendary Pokemon are just rarely seen, very powerful but otherwise "normal" type things. There's an arc about Lugia protecting its little baby, no reason something like articuno couldn't also breed. &, hey, bringing the movies no reason the Regi couldn't also exist all over the world; same applies in game, these are golems made by ancient peoples.

That said something like Darkrai probably isn't meant to be something that exists in abundance but Tobias gonna Tobias so either he got the one seen in-series or there's several of them. The goofier thing about Tobias' legends to me is there's no explanation to how he got them. Brandon found his and Nolan healed an injured Articuno he happened to encounter. No backstory for this edgelord, we have a league to win!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

rannum posted:

I think so far as the anime is concerned most legendary Pokemon are just rarely seen, very powerful but otherwise "normal" type things. There's an arc about Lugia protecting its little baby, no reason something like articuno couldn't also breed. &, hey, bringing the movies no reason the Regi couldn't also exist all over the world; same applies in game, these are golems made by ancient peoples.

That said something like Darkrai probably isn't meant to be something that exists in abundance but Tobias gonna Tobias so either he got the one seen in-series or there's several of them. The goofier thing about Tobias' legends to me is there's no explanation to how he got them. Brandon found his and Nolan healed an injured Articuno he happened to encounter. No backstory for this edgelord, we have a league to win!

The Regi are one of the few I could see there being more then one of each, except maybe Regigigas. Also I total forgot about the Baby Lugia stuff. I remember that being some big multipart event when it aired.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm still gonna be mad about Tobias, like the Darkrai I can get, but the Latios was a bit silly. As least give a reason why he has two legendaries! Ah whatever, it was like 10 years ago now, it should've been obvious to me that Ash will never win a proper league full of actual real proper rivals and strong trainers. Maybe next gen or whatever, who cares anymore? Not me, obviously.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

DP 01: Diamonds Take Forever

Johto Confirmed!!!

Brought to you by Jubilife TV on Nationwide Net! See you next week, same time, same channel!

Twinleaf Town Day

What up, it's your boy Cross and today I'm bringing you a little gem you haven't seen outside of 2007 webcam walkthroughs: Diamond and Pearl. We're going over the various differences and a fair bit is front loaded, but there's some interesting stuff here.

I don't know what it was about, but he said it was an emergency. You know how impatient Jun is. He took off before I could even ask what it was about.

Don't go into the tall grass. Wild Pokemon might attack you. It would be OK if you had your own Pokemon, but you don't, so...

What was that about?! Oh, hey, Koki! Hey! I'm going to the lake! You come too! And be quick about it! OK, Koki? I'm fining you $1 million if you're late!

Like the previous boy's name, Koki has a dash thingy above the o, they like doing that, but it makes it a pain.

Oh, hey, Koki! We're going to the lake! I'll be waiting on the road! It's a $10 million fine if you're late!

Route 201 Day

You know "Search for the Red GYARADOS! The mysterious appearance of the furious Pokemon in a lake!" That show got me to thinking. I'll bet our local lake has a Pokemon like that in it, too! So, that's what we're gonna do. We'll go find a Pokemon like that!

Koki! Don't go into the tall grass. Remember, wild Pokemon might attack you if you're walking in tall grass. It would be OK if you had your own Pokemon, but...

Because I'm gonna be a Pokemon Trainer. You know what a Trainer does, right? Makes Pokemon battle and all that?

Pokemon all have different moves, huh? A Trainer makes his Pokemon battle by ordering them to use moves. That's so awesomely cool.

I want Pokemon of my own, and not too soon, either. I'd be able to go everywhere with my Pokemon that way.

That lake has a mirage Pokemon living in it. Everyone says nothing lives there, but I know I'm right.

I'm gonna become a Pokemon Trainer for sure. Not just any Trainer either. I'm going to be the greatest ever. That's my dream.

Hey, that's enough talking already. I'm itching to get going to the lake. Come on, come on!

Without Pokemon, this sounds like a swell idea.

"either!"

Hmm... I may have been mistaken... something appears to be different than it was before, but... fine! It is enough that we have seen the lake. Dawn, we're leaving.

Professor, how are you enjoying being back in Sinnoh? After being away for four years, it must be exciting again?

...hm. There is one thing I can say. There are many rare kinds of Pokemon in Sinnoh. The region should serve us very well in regard to our studies.

I beg your pardon... we'll be on our way.

Huh? Koki! Let's go check this out! ... ... What's that? Don't go into the tall grass? No problem, no problem! We won't be in there long enough for a wild Pokemon to come out.

Those people forgot it here. What are we supposed to do with it? We can try to deliver it, but who are they? I heard them say professor...

Trouble!

Waaah! Po-Pokemon?! What's going on?!

Like my Ruby playthrough, I'll be using a batch of six you'll think are much cooler than my actual team and wished I'd used them instead.

Since this is DP, if you want a Fire type, this is your only choice. Okay, there's Ponyta, but that has Ember until Veilstone where you can buy Fire Blast. It's not fun, don't bother.

Bit of a different first battle, but it's super easy.

But my PIPLUP was way tougher than yours! ...they were other people's Pokemon, though... but we had to use them... they won't mind, will they?

The professor would have been furious if I'd lost it... huh? Oh, no! Did you... did you use the Pokemon in here? You did?! Oh, my gosh! What's the professor...? ...this is so not good... I'll take this briefcase for now.

I don't know what's going on. Koki, let's get out of here. My Pokemon got hurt from that battle. If we get attacked by another Pokemon, we might be trouble.

...I know we have to go return these Pokemon. They're not ours. But I want to spend just a little more time with this little guy...

We didn't have any choice in using those people's Pokemon, right? But these Pokemon belong to them... they'll want them back, won't they? But this is the first Pokemon I've ever battled with...

I wish I could grow tougher with this little guy...

I don't feel like talking... let's go. ...are we maybe walking slower than when we went to the lake?

I heard from Dawn that you used our Pokemon? Let me see them, please. Hmm... CHIMCHAR and PIPLUP... ... hmm... I see... that's how it is... Dawn! I'm going back to my lab!

Um... yes! Professor, please wait for me! I think you should visit our lab later. OK, see you!

What was that craziness about? I mean, if he was angry, he could've just yelled at us, or whatever... and didn't he want their Pokemon back...? Koki... we should go home, too...

Twinleaf Town Day

What's up, dear? Wow. I can't believe that happened to you. Am I ever glad that both you and Jun are unharmed. The professor you mentioned is most likely Professor Rowan of Sandgem Town. I've heard that he is well known for his studies on Pokemon. I hear he's also quite intimidating... Koki, I think you need to visit him in Sandgem Town. You need to properly explain why you had no choice but to use his Pokemon. Don't worry! I'm sure he will understand.

Alright, let's zip to the next area. But first...

Eh, we'll manage.

...um... I think you'd feel a lot safer if you were to catch some more. In Jubilife City, there's the Trainers' School, which... well, you know. Koki, you should visit it. You'll get some tips on Pokemon. Oh yes, Jun went to the Trainers' School earlier. OK, bye now!

It feels... like there's there something missing. Well, probably didn't affect anything anyway.

Anyway, we need a second team member and the choices early are just dire, so, uhhhhhh, sure, here's a bat.

Hidden Power!

Neat to get early, but Return is better.

Very important to note is the one button Poketch. Seriously, what the hell is this garbage?

If you don't have a single Gym Badge, other Trainers will look down on you like you're a total noob, right?

DOUG!!! :argh:

The GTS is also a lot smaller and a lot less impressive.

I love Pokemon! So, shall we battle? I'll let you join my fan club if you can beat me!

This looks familiar. The Pokemon Center fights were only here in DP, with no rematch teams, but had kinda tough teams at this point, going up to level 17! Wow!!!

Eterna City Day

"they've beaten all the other Trainers."

I'll be waiting for you in the back. Good luck, challenger!

Ah, this Gym. It's so bad, how did this even getting approved???

What a puzzle. Okay, it's because I've done this a million times, it's burned into my psyche where they are.

Gardenia is mostly the same but Cherubi hasn't evolved yet! Also look at this cool version exclusive I caught! It'll go 6 Gyms unable to evolve! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Come back when the sun shines, gurl.

Let's see what Team Galactic are up to.

Renting out office space, I see. Well your lease is up!

You can ride down Cycling Road and end up in Hearthome City. It's a fast and fun ride. You should check it out!

This is so you don't come at the Lucas/Dawn encounter from the wrong side, since they ambush you just after Cycling Road. Bit annoying if you wanted to head back and visit the Old Chateau, gotta do that after the Gym, but before Galactic, sucker!

Hearthome City Day

Evil fuckers. If you walk through walls and get past the woman, you can walk around just fine, you just won't get any items.

Are you entering a Contest? Tehehe... enjoy yourself, please! Incidentally, Fantina, the Hearthome Gym Leader, also happens to be a Contest expert. And you may ask yourself, how do I know this? Well, I am Fantina! You may challenge me, but not yet! You must become much stronger. Then, you may challenge me!

Sweet tux, ma. But yeah, 5th Gym, come back later. Want better mart items? gently caress off.

Hey, there! How's it going, Trainer? You being here tells me you're going to challenge the Gym Leader. Well... I hate to break it to you, but that's impossible. You're questioning why, and the answer is: she's not here. Come back another time, OK? I'll be right here waiting.

They found this at the Day Care in Solaceon Town... want to take it? Here you go! This is what I heard about Eggs. If you take that Egg and travel with energetic Pokemon, it'll hatch. I remember someone announced that... Professor Elm of Johto maybe?

With the Good Rod we can get a fish on our team. Water moves are the only thing it'll have for a long time...

Those that enjoyed long lives... those whose times were short... all the departed Pokemon shall find solace here... it is good of you to have visited. Here, take this Hidden Machine.

...I've forgotten where exactly, but you must visit a Pokemon Gym.

The requirements don't change, we still need Canalave's badge, the 6th. We're still on badge TWO.

Veilstone City Day

Gee, you keep getting tougher and tougher, don't you? Me? Well, I went shopping at the department store, and... I mean, well, of course I've been working on my Pokedex, but... I'll catch you later!

We can fight Maylene or Wake, I mean, Crasher Wake next, but I'm just so used to doing it this way. Another Gym redesign and it's alright, I guess. The punching bags are more thematic, but slower.

Still not much of a puzzle regardless.

And we can buy Fire Blast, so Lucario got no chance.

I guess I'll have to find this out myself, like a PEASENT!

Great Marsh

It's the Hidden Machine Defog, but none of my Pokemon can learn it. You'd be doing me a favor if you took this.

Here's a random HM in a side area from a random guy you'd walk right past. Was DP always this bad? How did we not notice sooner???

Our newest member won't have the best showing here, but we have our Gyarados answer. Uh, kinda.

Definitely weaker, but Floatzel is still dangerous.

So, now it's my job to deliver this to the lake! This is an important mission. No failure allowed! No making boo-boos like wandering off into the Great Marsh!

If I wasn't in a hurry, I'd pulverize you with my Pokemon! But I have to get on my way to the lake ASAP! So, you're lucky! I'm out! Oh, and listen up, you! Don't you dare follow me!

I won't have any distractions to keep up with you!

Is now really the time?!

So how's it going, Koki? Buffing up your Pokemon, eh? I'll test you and your Pokemon out to see how buff and tough you are!

Jun... Jun Jun Jun... we need an intervention.

That even shocked me a bit, so yeah, I got beat 'cause I was careless. So, hey, what was that Team Galactic guy all freaking out about? I don't know what he's up to, but you should chase him down! If you're not a Pokemon, and you run like that... you're a bad guy. All right, Koki! Next time, I'm not holding back!

That's it for distractions, next time, we go over the main differences compared to the actual good game of this trio.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 11, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I played Diamond (up to the E4, where I just couldn't beat Cynthia) and then played and beat Platinum, but I remember the opening to DP better. I can see why they wanted to change it, though, what with Gen 3 having done the "someone attacked by wild Pokemon" intro before and you basically stealing the Professor's Pokemon (even if he's cool with it later).

Crosspiece posted:

Hmm... I may have been mistaken... something appears to be different thn it was before, but... fine! It is enough that we have seen the lake. Dawn, we're leaving.
Typo here.

Crosspiece posted:

Professor, how are you enjoying being back in Sinnoh? After being away for four years, it must be exciting again?
This line sounded like a reference to me, so I looked it up and it was four years in between the release of Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire and Pokemon Diamond & Pearl. Coincidence? Maybe. But maybe not.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I know I've said Platinum was nostalgic but seeing the DP opening again really sent me back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really like DP's opening a lot more than Platinum's for some reason, even though Rowan strong-arming you into a Pokemon adventure is really funny to me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

rannum posted:

I know I've said Platinum was nostalgic but seeing the DP opening again really sent me back.
:same:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 27: In the Zone

Welcome back to the jam, while we finished our any% speedrun in record time, there's still plenty more to go, so let's get cracking!

Twinleaf Town Night

It's like we never started, but I don't fancy typing all the dialogue from the first update ago, yow.

Beating the game nets us yet another star, it's like they're giving these things away! I guess since we're nearly there we might as well get all 5, I'm sure it won't be that hard.

I don't know what it was about, but he was shouting about you needing to get on a ship at Snowpoint City. You know how impatient he is. He was gone before I could ask. Anyway, how's it going, kid? Is your project with Professor Rowan coming along?

Always a wonderful sight. We've still got a fair few to capture, but the postgame gives us a lot of options, so it won't take too long, probably.

Awesome! You've seen every kind of Pokemon in Sinnoh! You have to show this Pokedex to Prof. Rowan!

Rowan's Laboratory

Hmm... so, you've seen 210 Pokemon. Excellent work, Hikari! The Pokemon of the Sinnoh region are being added to your Pokedex. This will certainly help with my studies of Pokemon evolution...

I'll tell you, Sinnoh certainly is a long trip from Kanto. Of course, if it means meeting new Pokemon, there's no distance too great for the likes of us to travel.

Oh! If it isn't my old colleague, Professor Oak! I should have expected as much from the world's authority on Pokemon! We always used to joke, "Where there are Pokemon, you'll find Oak!" It's good to see that hasn't changed one bit! Professor Oak, let me introduce you to my young assistant. This youngster has filled every page of the Sinnoh Pokedex for me.

I've been hearing a great deal about you from Professor Rowan lately. He's been exuberant in praise about a fantastic young Trainer. I see that you live up to--no--that you've surpassed his praise. You've also got an impeccable sense of timing. You see, I had an errand to run for Professor Rowan on my visit here. He'd asked me to bring the data for the National Pokedex, you see. So, since you're here, let me upgrade your Pokedex with the National Mode. After all, there are many kinds of Pokemon in this world of ours!

However, I'm sure you will make an honest attempt on our behalf!

Have no fear, Hikari will get the job done. By the way, Professor Oak, what compelled you to visit this region?

Ah, yes, I've heard that the Pal Park is now open. If I remember correctly, it's at the end of Route 221. The Pal Park has a special system that attracts every imaginable kind of Pokemon from every region. I've come to make certain that system is operating properly. Hikari, you should make an effort to visit the Pal Park, too. Oops! I'll be late for my meeting if I don't get going! OK, it was a pleasure seeing the both of you! Bye, now!

Off he goes, as busy as ever... now, Hikari... I have a gift here as your reward for completing the Sinnoh Pokedex.

Use it, and it will indicate grass patches where Pokemon are lurking. I'd prepared that to help my field assistants put together the Sinnoh Pokedex, but you took care of that! I'm sure it will be useful for your goal of filling the National Pokedex. The world is immense. There are many more Pokemon. That means there are many more thrills for you to seek and enjoy!

Another game, another National Dex. Ignore the extra stuff I've seen, that was accidental encounter manipulating. Like Emerald, I will not be completing the Nat Dex, oh god no, but there are many, MANY Pokemon, old and new, to encounter in the postgame, so I'll do my best!

Professor Rowan has been studying Pokedex systems with Professor Oak. Professor Oak is Professor Rowan's junior in terms of seniority.

Imagine... cataloging every kind of Pokemon in the Sinnoh region! And in complete contrast, there's Lucas... anyway, you've been great for the prof's Pokemon-evolution research!

There was news on TV saying there is a massive outbreak of Pokemon! That'd be great for filling up your Pokedex! Let me see... what did that news say now...? Route 227! They said there's a whole bunch of SPINDA there! Hikari, you have to hurry! I want you to do better than my brother Lucas!

Swarms are back, with a vengence, there are TWENTY TWO Pokemon that can appear on their respective route on a given day. There were more in DP, but obviously not needed due to being added to the Sinnoh Dex, like Absol and Lickitung, as well as some weird outliers, like Pidgey, but there's a lot of Pokemon you won't find anywhere else, like Farfetch'd, Doduo, Drowzee, Krabby, Voltorb, Cubone, Pinsir, Natu, Dunsparce, Snubbull, Corsola, Delibird, Phanpy, Larvitar, Zigzagoon, Slakoth, Makuhita, Skitty, Electrike, Spoink, Spinda and Beldum. So a few.

There's a lot of different things we can do around old locales, but I think the more interesting thing is to head straight to the new island!

I think it's good that our world is constantly changing. Of course, I don't want it to become what only one person wants. A world like Cyrus envisions... no one would want that. The kind of world I want to see is where everyone can share their joy. Where Pokemon and the people around them can be happy for each other. I want the world to become a place where everyone is smiling. The world could be so much better if we all tried to make it that way. I want you to keep traveling to many far-off places. I want you to keep meeting all kinds of people and Pokemon. I came all the way here just so I could say that to you. Your horizons will expand again if you visit the Fight Area as well. I hope our paths cross again!

Well she's more similar to Cyrus than she thinks, in that she also loves the sound of her own voice.

Fight Area Day / Night

I'm fining you $100 million! Actually, never mind the fine. Come with me, will ya?

"which happens to be right here."

Then these guys came along and got in my face about it. Like, they're saying they want to test me if I'm good enough and all that. Like, as if I need to prove anything. So, let's team up. Like we did at the Spear Pillar. Let's show those guys how good we are! Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! So there's an Elite Four and a Gym Leader. We can whoop 'em!

This situation just cooks! The drama and tension sizzles! Flint, the fiery master of fire Pokemon, is going to put you to the test! Let Flint see how hot your spirit burns!

I don't know how I managed to get myself into this, but... show me the skills that got you through the Pokemon League!

Flint and Volker Battle

Barry already being much more helpful than last time, but it can only last so long. The postgame starts right out with some real challenge, I can't wait!

Snorlax doesn't do much, but I suppose it's a good wall. Flint is actually the weak link since his Houndoom dies instantly, and since the couple brought matching sweaters, it also means he draws the short straw in Eeveelutions.

You might think I'm mad, but we need to focus on them both equally.

Heracross was never gonna do anything, let's be honest.

While Jolteon is loving all these Charge Beam boosts, we still gotta focus on the main threat.

Alright, nearly done here, Barry might actually make it through this!

Never mind...

Right, what's next for the postgame?

... ... ... ...

Hey! Don't burn out on us! Now you're just getting in the way! Hahaha! That was a blast! Our combination came up short, but you're also a lot tougher as well. Promise me we'll do this again. I'll see to taking this husk home.

OK, I'm off to the Fronti...

Huh? Ah! If it isn't Barry! You've grown all sturdy! And Hikari, too! I haven't seen you in a long time, either! Barry, your mother told me you'd gone off to the Battle Zone. So I had to come running looking for you. So, are you two going to take the Battle Frontier challenge? The Frontier has five facilities that are all dedicated to battling. Each one has a unique set of rules, so they're all different. Of course, you have to be good to win at any of them. Anyway, I'm satisfied to see that you're both doing well. I'll go back to my usual place in the Battle Tower. I'll be looking forward to your challenge.

You think so too, right? He's a Frontier Brain, after all. He's the Tower Tycoon! I want to be cool like my dad! Hikari, that's the one reason I decided to become a Trainer! Ooh, what am I going to do? Should I make the challenge now? Or do I train some more? OK! I've decided! I'm going to get tougher! By a lot! I finally made it here! There's no need for haste now.

You're something special, aren't you? Beating an Elite Four like that. Oh, right, howdy. The name's Buck. I'm usually training at the Survival Area or Stark Mountain. You should come up there. You'll get toughened up for sure!

Alright, the Battle Frontier... we'll head there in a sec. Let's see what this place is like. And yeah, it's pretty crazy different compared to DP, remember to click the image to compare.

Hmm! We're of identical minds! Hmm! Take this Super Rod!

The habit of putting the Super Rod postgame begins. Well, okay that started in Gen 2, but only because it's in the same place as Gen 1 and, well... you know what I mean. Lots of good stuff to be found from this.

Or cover for a weakness instead? It's a dilemma that comes up every time I let a Pokemon hold an item.

Good to restock in time for the proper stuff. There's no second clerks in the Battle Zone, so all the extra stuff is back on the mainland.

Anyway here's the thing. You might be thinking it's time to have you guys vote on which Pokemon you want me to use in the 5 different facilities, but guess what fuccbois, I already did all five facilities in my Crystal LP, that also did HGSS stuff, that also did the Battle Frontier since at the time, I wasn't planning on doing this game! Or even Emerald, I was gonna do Etrian Odyssey after that, but man did things change. For the better, I think. Basically, I've already done them, gently caress off.

Route 225 Day / Night

Let's ignore the dumb and bad battle facilities and instead have a blast in new areas, new music, more postgame!

We'll be seeing a fair few repeats, since these were the first time we got these items in DP. Well it was in a slightly different place, but Gliscor wasn't in the Sinnoh Dex, so it didn't matter!

Oh yeah, there's also a bunch of old Pokemon, but remember their catch rates are the same, level doesn't hugely matter!

Don't forget your HMs, this is still Sinnoh after all.

The trainers are a little tough, but tend to use all kinds of mons, so it balances out. It'll be a bit rough to begin with, but our team has plenty more room to grow!

Also means I have stuff to show off in battles again! Don't think our team will remain static either.

It doesn't matter where they grow. Pokemon can be made tougher anywhere if you set your mind to it.

I was born in the Hoenn region. I've only just recently flown here.

I'll never get tired of whacking.

Same

What will you do after this? Why don't you decide for yourself? It would be much more fun that way!

Now that we have the best rod, let's see what we can get.

Yup yup, nice to finally get some obvious mons for the first time. Like, yeah, we could've evolved Magikarp a long time ago, but this is the first time in this game we can just straight out catch this mon, saves me evolution time.

Here's another fish.

The route is a little winding, but taking the opposite stairs leads us back to the triple trainers.

Since we're nearly done with this game, the loot is off the charts!

Most of the time.

I think it's ecological, even. I am cleaning up the environment!

I can assure you we're making progress.

Battling you was an eye-opener. I learned something very important in that short time.

Alright, as soon as we find a Wobbuffet, we can make Wynaut. Woo. Also the second Leaf Stone not counting the Underground, and I never do!

Water is the wellspring of life. Having said that, no one knows where Pokemon originated.

Now we have two of each item, but do you ever need more than one???

I fed my gang Protein, Carbos... you name it, I pumped 'em full of it.

Being in the postgame, the evolutions are actually more common, we lucked into finding the rare Rattata. I'll be catching any new Pokemon we come across, regardless if we need it, but the rarer ones that don't show up can just gently caress off.

Your attempts to exploit my HM use is admirable, but I cannot use HMs if I don't have to.

Do you see it? I didn't, I ran right past like an idiot.

Might need to complain to the manager about these useless balls I have. Spearow is another rare mon, but I won't get it.

Now hold up, hold up, you might think it's out of character to not get this, and you're right, but getting this move for single player is practically suicide, and Skulletor is fragile enough. Besides, we only got Stone Edge 2 updates ago, we can get this later for some real important fights.

A Dragon Tamer Champion... I'll need to train so much more to even come close to coming close...

Well we don't need this, but sure.

As night falls, Banette arrives, but Shuppet is only obtainable from breeding.

Better disguised than the goddamn ninjas.

How much you believe in your Pokemon... that's a critical factor in how a battle will turn out.

Survival Area Day / Night

Last Mart in the game doesn't offer much, but there's not much here anyway, so we'll soon head off.

"paralyzed, or burned."

I've got the Technical Machine for it right here. You want it?

Facade's a good move for your Pokemon to have. Your opponent will think twice about poisoning or paralyzing your Pokemon.

And that's about it for this place. Well, I suppose there's one more thing.

It's a secret to everybody.

Hey it's the final move tutor! There's a lot of real good moves for us to get, including Earth Power for Etrian, which works a lot better for double battles and that, but there's one member that needs something better.

Return was getting less and less useful due to difficult battles and Revival Herbs, so this is some much needed coverage.

That's some real good moves, including Heat Wave, but we don't have enough for something else, so we'll come back later, we'll be in this area again I'm sure.

Alright, there's still plenty to explore, so let's get going! Next time.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

:stare:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i love the BATTLE ZONE, it's not very big but just big enough for a post game area.

Also if no one has been checking out the DP comparisons that piece is providing for the maps, please do so now

The battle zone aesthetic differences area a real step up and have always stuck with me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like reading this as Barry being surprised that he has two parents considering how everyone in this universe only seems to have a mother.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 28: Fight for Survival

Route 226 Night

Nothing can stop you, Diamond and Pearl! Uh, ahem, welcome back to... the LP. Right.

Please stop kicking my rear end.

My Pokemon... they're the first friends I ever caught. They mean everything to me!

By heck they have a new HM and they're gonna milk it by all its worth!

They sure introduced a bunch of lovely items that they'll have to endlessly place somewhere. And I'll have to endlessly find.

How do you do? I'm Stanley, and I'm a Dragon Tamer. What do you say we let our Pokemon have it out? Sound OK to you?

Silly tamer, that's not a dragon, that's a bird. Oh, the other thing is a dragon?

Most of the time, my Pokemon return to their Pokeballs right away. But sometimes, they just fall asleep on top of my head. That gets messy.

It seems to me, there's this certain image that goes with a Dragon Tamer. But me, I'd much sooner take it easy, take it slow, and take it my own way. I figure there's more than my style that I need to work on first.

Well that was a fun cliffside adventure. While I was just talking about special moves for Etrian, there's no way I'm getting rid of Wood Hammer, poo poo's cash.

Oh hey I was wondering where a PP Max was. This was hidden. Thanks.

Boy I hope you like fishing encounters, the Super Rod nets you so many different mons all across the region. Though since these are new routes, the Good Rod still has some alright stuff, the Old Rod is only Magikarp, of course.

This is why I keep Wood Hammer. Also because I shout BOOM, BABY! every time I do it.

I thought that everyone would be all dedicated to training out here. But most people are really laid back. It's not like what I imagined. I guess being with Pokemon, people get all mellowed out.

Weird patch of grass. Anyway, let's see what this house is about.

I'm the Meister. In this language's parlance I would be called a craftsman. Something like that, n'est ce pas? Comprendo? So, sniff, sniff, I smell you! I smell something about you! There is no question! You are a lover of Pokemon just like me! This is wunderbar! So, this is what I will do. I will power up your Pokedex so you can read the descriptions of Pokemon in other languages! Je suis desolee, but not for all Pokemon, however. Only the countries I, the Meister, have visited. Now, may I see your Pokedex? So, I change this setting here... fool with this here... and done! Now, you may read the descriptions of the Meister's Pokemon favourites in other languages. How uber!

Have you a Pokemon named FINNEON? C'est un Pokemon fish-style? If you would be so kind, trade it will you for my precious MAGIKARP? Oh! This is a tragedy! A tragedy, I tell you! But one day, you will trade me the Pokemon I want! The Meister knows this because I have traveled the world!

Japanese companies sure come up with some colourful characters, eh? Since we've got the GTS, or, uh, at least did, we can get Pokemon from all over the world and from many different countries. This guy seems pretty German, and we will get a German Magikarp from him, but in German versions of the game he's English and is called The Master instead. Hmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, in DP, he unlocked the ability for you to collect foreign Pokedex entries for 14 different Pokemon, Ekans, Pikachu, Psyduck, Ponyta, Staryu, Magikarp, Wobbuffet, Heracross, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Houndour, Wingull, Slakoth and Roselia. These entries could be obtained in Japanese, English, French, German, Spanish and Italian, with the foreign entries being the LeafGreen ones. This feature was expanded to EVERY Pokemon in Platinum, with all future games having this option from the start. The foreign entries in this game are from Diamond. We'll come back to trade soon enough, but we've still got quite the journey to go until the next town, so strap in.

The encounters are just super! Gotta fit 200 extra Pokemon into a region somehow.

Fish is flipping me off, please advise.

Well that was a horrifying attempt at a water route, let's pretend it never happened.

North is Stark Mountain, but there's plenty to do before we head there. Don't think this game is nearly over, oh god, I've recorded pretty far ahead... but there's still so far to go...

Route 228 Day / Night

I hate sand... but I LOVE this track! Definitely one of the best route themes, this series has their swirly dust music down pat.

Ah. Well, nevertheless...

Pokemon and numbers... who cares about that stuff? Winning is what's important. Numbers aren't everything.

It was beneath the desert sand that I toughened my body and soul. Accept my challenge! Uraah!

I thought I couldn't win before it became a fact... I've let down my Pokemon... they go to battle with faith in their Trainer...

You know Floatzel is fragile when this kills from full.

I feel invigorated from that battle, even though we lost. After all, we gave it everything we had.

Like the others, this route is a little winding, but we'll cover the right side first. Don't miss this little cave!

One by rock, one by ice, one by steel... whatever it means, I don't have enough Pokeballs.

It's not good enough for a Pokemon to just be tough. It's not good enough for a Trainer to just work hard. Both have to grow together!

Out of all these HMs, we haven't needed Defog in a while... well let's not think about it any further.

...very well. Let me reward your passion with some absolutely astounding moves. They're the ultimate moves! Shall I teach them to your Pokemon?

I would never sully my starter with these lovely moves. Okay, FRLG Vegeta was an exception, its other option was Giga Drain.

What else would you find on a pond in a swirling sandstorm?

And since we're in a pretty different biome, let's catch some more Pokemon! Hm, regional dex? What's that?

There's more to get, but that's what the rest of the route is for.

Everyone's mean to Skulletor...

Protecting Pokemon and nature. Think of what that means.

The world is full of Pokemon and all sorts of Trainers.

Cute.

Imagine if this series had a weight limit.

The planks connect up to the top of the route by the Dragon Tamer, but uh, it's faster to just head left to get through this route, I guess this is here so you can avoid trainers?

That is pretty yowch!

Thankfully that's the last trainer, battling in damaging weather gets very old.

Oh hey another hidden one. Thanks.

Wonder what's in the house, let's go fi- oh wait, there's no item to be gained, and that's the only thing I care about! Maybe there's some interesting info to be gleamed, but why don't I talk to every single NPC, huh? I'm sure you could discover some tantalising secrets if you played the game yourself.

Hrm.

Oh, hey, there's a regional Pokemon! See, I'm still working on the Pokedex! Honest, guv. Also since it took forever to appear, I stopped recording so I didn't have to skip a bunch of video (and also make the game run faster, my laptop is only so powerful), but then caught one without turning it back on. Whoops!

Route 229 Night

Alright, two routes down, here's the third! Surely we're nearly done, everyone's getting pretty tired.

I haven't seen a magic show in a millennium.

These are some rude Pokemon! Seem a bit familiar too...

Remember when we couldn't get seals? Haha good times.

Your love of Pokemon really shows!

I'll be happy to battle you again! Let's battle again sometime, yeah?

I grew up together with Felix and my team, right from my childhood. All our memories, we've always shared them.

Okay most of you are pretty confused, but this is in the game! These are Butler and Diane, the two antagonists from the sixth movie, Jirachi: Wish Maker. All 4 of Butler's Pokemon are split between the two, since Diane didn't have any Pokemon, but this is a weird anime reference they don't do again for a long time. Well, the localization didn't catch this and renamed them, but they have the same names in Japanese, so guess Doug isn't a movie fan. Honestly.

Routes so long I'm outta Quick Balls.

DP postgame items strike again!

nani

I suddenly remembered what it was like when I had my first battle. I wonder why that would be?

I wish I had a new nugget of wisdom to share with you, but alas, I don't! So, I'll have to make it up to you with this!

Oh, why not? Take another! It makes up for the wisdom I lack!

Those are my Nuggets! Try to spend them wisely! Nuggets of gold have to be worth more than nuggets of my wisdom!

These people are way too camouflaged.

Worth it.

Everyone can do their part to keep nature clean. It doesn't take much.

There's a fair few new mons on this route, but they don't fancy showing up.

Ugh, wow, what is this incredibly heavy sense of entitlement? Is it coming from that building?

More random surfing encounters. Masquerain is the rare one, so it won't be found.

Rod? Sounds like a dumb name for a character.

That's another route down, I've had enough, let's get all these Pokemon and split.

Alright, I think that's everything.

Oh yeah, there's a morning encounter too. This area was very different in DP, having Oddish and Bellsprout, as well as Scyther and Pinsir as version exclusives. I'm sure we'll find all of them before too long.

Resort Area Day / Night

Well that's a title. Who wants to own a shithole like this?

Oh, wait, no, no, no! It's not what you're thinking! This is no scam, see. In fact, you'll be doing me a favor! See, I was given this Villa. But, to be honest, I don't need it, either. So don't say a word. Just nod and this Villa is yours!

I've been poor my entire life, I know when something's too good to be true, people don't give stuff away for free, what do you think this is, a JRPG?!

Still, take advantage of dumb people and scam them out of everything they have!

The original owner was from Hoenn, see? The owner collected up all the rare stones of Sinnoh and went back home. I somehow got saddled with this place as if it were some gift. There's no figuring what rich folks will think of next. Still, I thank you for helping me out. Come with me, will you?

So, yeah, I know, it's barren. Still, not bad, eh? But anyway, I feel kind of bad just imposing the place on you for nothing. I'll tell you what, order a Table from this order form. That'll do as my thanks to you!

The furniture place's service is great. They're real eager for business. Look, they left another order form on the Table they delivered. Anyway, I'm finally rid of this Villa thanks to you. Now I can go back to traveling like I always wanted.

Woohoo, that's wicked awesome! You must be rich! Gimme something! OK, this is what I'm gonna do. I'll tell everybody you got a Villa!

Oh boy... so you can easily see from the DP map that the Villa is new to this game, and it's where you put all of your hard earned cash into. There's not much reason to, everything in this Villa is set and it takes a while to fill everything out. Hell, there's a fair few things that need to be unlocked by hitting random milestones, like hatching 30 eggs, walking 300,000 steps, or defeating the Elite Four 10 times. That is something you'll need to do, since buying everything in the Villa costs TWO POINT FIVE MILLION!!! There's absolutely no reason to grind this out, the best way to grind is rematching the Socialite pair on Route 212, who give 12,000 apiece, so with an Amulet Coin you get 48,000 every couple minutes. That's only FIFTY TWO REMATCHES!!!

The curved surfaces describe sublime lines of an indefinable charm. Here, allow me to give you this book I've been reading as a gift.

Hm! You look well. It's commonly accepted that Pokemon evolve to grow more powerful. There must be other reasons than that. I would like to know during my lifetime.

Cool. Some NPCs show up when you buy specific furniture, and you can be visited by a variety of Gym Leaders or other trainers once a day, they'll either be outside, or already here, or only show up when you walk to the left of the table. Some also interact in pairs, like Flint and Volkner, or Candice and Maylene, so the canonical couples, obviously. We'll come back here later, since of course there's plenty more to show off. But oh boy is it a bitch to actually legitimately fill this place out. Thankfully there's no reward for it.

Anyway, there's barely anything here aside from the Villa, so this place was even more worthless in DP.

Ooh, we have those, kinda.

This is an exclusive establishment open only to a select few. You might consider it a special stage for the cream of the crop. If you wish to enter, I suggest you start by collecting lots of Ribbons.

Simple enough, we need 10 different ribbons across the whole team. You don't have to enter a single Contest to do this, Etrian will eventually fulfil the requirement to enter all by himself. But let's just grab some Contest peeps, uh... after I remove the Ball Capsules, sigh...

I truly apologize for my rudeness. It's so out of character for me! If you would be so kind, we would be honored to invite you... oh, no, no! You really must join us as a fully-fledged member!

I do hope you will enjoy the luxurious atmosphere and services that only we can provide.

These ribbons are available only through us. Hikari, would you like one for a Pokemon, perhaps? Right now, I can offer you the Gorgeous Ribbon.

Yay ribbons. At least even though I've been catching a million things and blending up thousands of Revival Herbs, we're still swimming in cash.

Correction, were.

And there it is. The original money sink, just in case you really didn't have anything better to do with your time. Compared to the Villa this looks almost quaint, huh.

You can probably surmise that I'll hack all this fat cash in so we can buy them, cause why wouldn't I?

Our spa treatment will make your ETRIAN grow more friendly. Ah, yes. Right this way, please...

The salon's air is perfumed by an herbal aroma for relaxation. There. All done. Our treatment has made your pampered baby a little more friendly to you.

Alright here's the actual reason for coming here. This is the best friendship boost in the game, depending on what the woman says. A little more is +5, more is +10 and much more is +30, and you can even do this to Eggs! Of course, I'll still be shovelling Rare Candy into faces, but this is the best way, since the Veilstone massage is +3 always. Similarly, it can only be done once a day.

Okay I lied, here's the actual actual reason for coming here, in Plat. The Magikarp fished up with the Super Rod can be found from level 1 to ONE HUNDRED! I gave it a few tries, see how high I could get, and I reached the highest possible number.

Let's do the final trade in the game, they were pretty meh since there was a massive gap, but it's whatever, I never really care about these things.

That MAGIKARP, it accompanied me from the country of my birth. Be good to it, I beseech you! Because there are Pokemon, I can make friends anywhere in the world. It so inspires me knowing that. It's so wonderful in a wonderful way!

Truly, what a wonderful feature. But hey, I think we're all done here, next time, we'll- OH gently caress I FORGOT SOMETHING

Pokemon Gym

Um... I'm fine, thank you. I don't know how to say this, but... nothing...

Um... er... will you trade your Pokemon for mine? Really? Thank you very much! I'll be happy with any Pokemon!

Since she'll take anything, here's the Safari Zone Sandshrew I caught like, what, 4 years ago?

Phew, I remembered this about 2 years ago, figuring I'd do it for this LP, now I'll stop waking up in a cold sweat about it. So, right, next time, we're heading back to the mainland for lots of various reasons!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't remember anything about the Jirachi movie except that Jirachi could talk, so that's kinda neat.

Crosspeice posted:

Woohoo, that's wicked awesome! You must be rich! Gimme something!

:allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I spent an absurd amount of time on that inexplicable Villa. It really hit that itch of filling up a house that animal crossing normally gives me and I am such a sucker for flavor text. Don't think I ever got every piece of furniture in there, but I got pretty close. Hmmm maybe I'l pull my copy out...

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I don't remember anything about the Jirachi movie except that Jirachi could talk, so that's kinda neat.

:allears:

The cameos are so inexplicable, that movie came out in 2003 and the games rarely do references like that. Feels like a Manaphy movie would've been more apt

jirachi movie was kind of cute, it's set over the course of a week and has Jirachi bond with Max (because of course it does) and it's kind of a little poo poo since its a baby. You got goofy things like flooding a trailer with candy and teleporting a "problem" (may) off somewhere else.
Then everything goes off the rails because Butler is actually a disgraced scientist literally laughed out of the room by Team Magma, he steals Jirachi and uses it to create a Groudon to get revenge and instead its this horror

that starts absorbing all the wildlife, upending the earth and killing the trees as it slowly moves along.

For some reason Ash instantly befriends a Flygon so he can have elaborate air sequences because I think the writers forgot he didn't have any Pokemon he could ride like Charizard :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rannum posted:

he steals Jirachi and uses it to create a Groudon to get revenge and instead its this horror

that starts absorbing all the wildlife, upending the earth and killing the trees as it slowly moves along.

This sounds remarkably like the Emerald arc of Pokemon Adventures.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm fairly sure the movie came out before the Emerald arc.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm fairly sure the movie came out before the Emerald arc.

the movie came out a year before Emerald, the game, was even a thing

Emerald arc also took the Latias "disguises herself as a person" thing from the 5th movie which is funny because the hair thing they do...

wasn't even something Latias does as like an unintentaional tell. It was just literally the movie oc's hairstyle and latias jsut mimics it perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Reverse that, then.

rannum posted:

Emerald arc also took the Latias "disguises herself as a person" thing from the 5th movie which is funny because the hair thing they do...

wasn't even something Latias does as like an unintentaional tell. It was just literally the movie oc's hairstyle and latias jsut mimics it perfectly

I remember this reference to the movie, though. This series seems to like turning Latias into a human girl.