Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I'm working on a figure skating story at the moment, and I need to make sure that all my facts line up, and that I have a realistic idea of a timeline for this character's medical experiences.

Basically, at the start of the story, one of the protagonists (a competitive pairs skater,) gets a serious spinal injury. Jump forward several months, he's had a surgery, and is doing physical therapy, but he still has a lot of pain, and hasn't been able to get back on the ice. Doctors eventually recommend a spinal fusion, which should help with the pain, but will effectively end his competitive career.

So I guess my questions are:
1. What injury could he have? I did a little research on this stuff like a year ago, and I think I was going with a herniated disk, but now I'm not sure if that's serious enough.
2. Are my ideas relatively correct, in that a less invasive procedure would likely be attempted before going for a spinal fusion?
3. How much time would be spent on PT after an initial surgery, before a doctor would bring up a spinal fusion? Months? A year? Multiple years?
4. Am I even correct in thinking that having vertebrae fused would pretty much put an end to competition level figure skating?
5. I would also love to know if there's any specific medical jargon a patient would be likely to hear, or see in paperwork.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone can PM me an email for a professional who might be able to help, I would love that too. I just want to do this element of this story justice. Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU