Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I suppose I've had a more positive experience than most with back problems, so I'll post too.

I haven't gone as far as a spinal fusion, but I have had an L4/L5 microdiskectomy. Like a burst jelly donut, essentially; an extrusion (e: the hernia, couldn't remember the word) was impinging on the nerve canal behind it and causing severe sciatica symptoms. Essentially all the surgeon did was open a line down my back, remove a small 'window' of vertebrae bone, and scoop out the now-excess material, relieving the pressure.

After surgery I was bedridden for two days, excrutiatingly-slowly mobile for a week, and slowly mobile for another month before I'd essentially returned to a healthy (if not especially strong, lift-strength-wise) back. It aches easily if I sit badly for too long, but not much worse than that. Pretty sedentary lifestyle though, so I don't have any input on the sports side (though fwiw I can ride a bicycle perfectly fine).

Spinal fusion may be in the future if any of the remaining disk material degenerates any further, but so far so good.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU