Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

QuarkMartial posted:

I only ask because my family did the whole "penguin painting" thing aaaaand it was awful and we regret it tremendously because of how the penguin was treated.

Try using an oil based paint next time, the penguin will hold more paint and you’ll get a better stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

QuarkMartial posted:

So, I'd like to ask you a question about koalas and public interaction, if you're okay with it.

A friend of mine asked about booking an "experience" (for lack of a better word) where you can either pet a koala or hold a koala, among other animals. I think it's at Disney, or in the area, but I'm not entirely sure. About how on the level are these with the treatment of the animals? I only ask because my family did the whole "penguin painting" thing aaaaand it was awful and we regret it tremendously because of how the penguin was treated.

I'm sorry, your family did the whatnow?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm guessing made a painting of a penguin with a live model.

Unrelated - I finally got the three remaining wee Blaupunkt stereos. I'm going to give my dad one to put in his tractor - it's a '70s Allis Chalmers with a very shallow mounting area in the cab. This will be perfect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slothrop posted:

Try using an oil based paint next time, the penguin will hold more paint and you’ll get a better stroke.

:drat:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I don't make near enough money to stroke it over penguins in oil :(

Found a set of gsr mesh wheels with decent tires for the same price as just new tires for my lovely integra. Here's hoping I can pick em up, I love the way they look.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

Are you trying to convince us that drop bears are real? Because you've buried the lead pretty well

Drop Bears are in fact very real and they do kill people. Do not camp under large gum trees

Not joking. Drop Bears are tree limbs that weigh several ton that randomly fall off the tree. You are very much advised to NOT camp under gum trees, more people die this way per year than are taken by sharks

meltie posted:

Christ for a moment I thought they had hosed penguins. I need more caffiene.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

meltie posted:

We went to Ripley's in Pigeon Forge, TN where they offer a paint with a penguin experience. I think that's the name. Anyway, you get to have a penguin paint a picture for you. You get this idea of a penguin maybe walking through some animal safe paint and all over some canvasses and everyone seems to have fun, the penguin included. Why we or anyone would get this idea still mystifies me. Maybe because it's an aquarium and you think the animals are well cared for and, well, why would anyone do anything harmful to an animal?

So, you get your ticket and you and your family are taken to a semi-private room. There's portholes where people walking by can look in at your fun experience. The penguin is brought in on a little red wagon, looks happy and content, and then that's where everything goes to poo poo. The handler lays down garbage bags to cover the floor, squirts paint on them (you get to pick the colors, at least), and then takes the penguin, sticks its feet in the paint, then stamps them on the canvas in a manner not unlike a rubber stamp. Our concern over the wellbeing of this animal and having participated in something downright terrible washed over us, and we asked the handler, "Does the penguin...enjoy that?" "Well," he responded after getting snapped at by the penguin, "they put up with it." Which to us read as, "Hell loving no they don't enjoy it."

Yeah, our desire to avoid anything of that sort ever again is pretty high, which is why I asked about the koala thing. I mean, there are animals that enjoy human interaction - therapy dogs, for example. Other animals do, too. I'd rather avoid and help friends avoid anything that is detrimental to animals.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It’s HUGELY dependent on the facility and the standards that they hold themselves too. I work in a government run wildlife park so we’re expected to work to the highest standards for animal welfare and serve as a best practice example for others.

It’s also dependent on the animals too- if you try to handle a wild koala it’s gonna end badly for you. Generally, if you can actually touch a wild koala without blood loss, that koala is in a really really bad way.

With our koalas, they’re hand raised from a very young age to interact with people, so they’re constantly being exposed to people and noise and public. That said, we carefully monitor the display koalas and if they are showing signs of discomfort or distress they won’t get used on display for the day. Same goes with while they’re out on display- if the animal is obviously not enjoying the situation we don’t push the issue.

Bribery is a big part too- we don’t feed out the ultra plush really young gum to them in a general feed, but if they sit on the perch and behave and look good for the tourists they can eat aaaaallll the fine food they want!

That’s us though, I know most facilities in Australia work to the same standards but I can’t speak for how other facilities around the world treat their tree pigs

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is pretty much the extent of my koala knowledge these days:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Koalas are adorable and I very much enjoyed my chance to give one a pat when I was in Tasmania. They are very bristly and let off quite a stink through their fur.

Tassie Devils are also much softer than you’d expect and the one I got to pet was a female and positively in love with her handler to the extent she nipped at the cuff of his trousers and would love being held belly to belly, her face looking into his. It was adorable and I’m sad to think that we could possibly see their extinction in our lifetime from the face cancer thing.

The best Aussie wildlife experience had to be holding a juvenile wombat named Winston. Just the cutest little face and an absolute unit. I mean he was a thicc boi.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1123753042216726532

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

So, you get your ticket and you and your family are taken to a semi-private room. There's portholes where people walking by can look in at your fun experience. The penguin is brought in on a little red wagon, looks happy and content, and then that's where everything goes to poo poo. The handler lays down garbage bags to cover the floor, squirts paint on them (you get to pick the colors, at least), and then takes the penguin, sticks its feet in the paint, then stamps them on the canvas in a manner not unlike a rubber stamp. Our concern over the wellbeing of this animal and having participated in something downright terrible washed over us, and we asked the handler, "Does the penguin...enjoy that?" "Well," he responded after getting snapped at by the penguin, "they put up with it."

I'm loving dying here, thank you for the much needed laugh after a stressful workday. I want to to meet the insane maniac who came up with this incredibly dumb idea, and the team who approved it as Good.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Not gonna lie, the idea of a penguin being used like a rubber stamp is pretty darkly hilarious.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
My cat looked down upon me from his high tower and dared me to come within talon reach

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

QuarkMartial posted:

So, you get your ticket and you and your family are taken to a semi-private room. There's portholes where people walking by can look in at your fun experience. The penguin is brought in on a little red wagon, looks happy and content, and then that's where everything goes to poo poo. The handler lays down garbage bags to cover the floor, squirts paint on them (you get to pick the colors, at least), and then takes the penguin, sticks its feet in the paint, then stamps them on the canvas in a manner not unlike a rubber stamp. Our concern over the wellbeing of this animal and having participated in something downright terrible washed over us, and we asked the handler, "Does the penguin...enjoy that?" "Well," he responded after getting snapped at by the penguin, "they put up with it." Which to us read as, "Hell loving no they don't enjoy it."

Goddamn. I did not think I'd hit so close to home with my joke :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Getting real annoyed with the local Chevy dealer. I keep calling and leaving voicemails with service advisors, and can't get a call back. I'm trying to stick to this one because they're the closest one (and therefore, they'll be able to drive me home in their shuttle when I drop the car off, and pick me back up). But after getting left on hold for over 30 minutes, then 3 different service writer's voicemails, and never getting a call back, I'm getting kinda put out.

I'm also having a hard time finding an insurance company willing to write a hybrid policy. Geico's rideshare endorsement covers food delivery, most others don't. They yanked my rideshare endorsement when I moved, saying they won't write it in the county I currently live in. I'm also trying to get GF and I onto one policy - her mom is paying $2400/yr for her insurance (on a 2005 base model Matrix with peeling paint and hail damage, with $750 deductibles :stonkhat:). I finally contacted a broker that runs some commercial and hybrid lines, and he said he wouldn't be able to get us onto the same policy (said we'd have to be married, and both cars be jointly titled in our names? :wtf: Geico is fine with insuring both of us and both cars, they just want to know the name on the title for each car). I'm thinking the broker I'm trying to use may not be a good fit.

I'm trying to avoid a full blown commercial policy, since it severely limits personal use of my car (also, $$$$). And, most of the gig economy apps provide insurance while you have a package on you; the one I work with the most does not. I don't want to be caught with my pants down, but I was paying <$100/mo for a hybrid policy with Geico... I'd prefer to stay under $125. :sigh:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Found a set of gsr mesh wheels with decent tires for the same price as just new tires for my lovely integra. Here's hoping I can pick em up, I love the way they look.

Been awhile since I played HondaLegos<tm>, but I thought the meshes were optional LS / standard GS wheels? Pretty sure the GSRs were always 5 or 6 spokes of some variation - the 92-93 had 6 spoke, 3rd gen may be 5 or 6 spoke. The pre-facelift 3rd gen GSR wheels were fugly IMO, but the post facelift weren't bad.

But if they're the ones I'm thinking of (LS/GS mesh), yeah, they're the best looking wheel you could get on the 3rd gen Integra. They polish up real nice too, if you want to put the work into it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I think I see the error. At least Perry the Painting Penguin gets fed a pretty decent amount of fish every day for his efforts, the rest of us work dumbass jobs too. Some of us get herring, some of us get naturally aspirated V8's

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

STR posted:

Been awhile since I played HondaLegos<tm>, but I thought the meshes were optional LS / standard GS wheels? Pretty sure the GSRs were always 5 or 6 spokes of some variation - the 92-93 had 6 spoke, 3rd gen may be 5 or 6 spoke. The pre-facelift 3rd gen GSR wheels were fugly IMO, but the post facelift weren't bad.

But if they're the ones I'm thinking of (LS/GS mesh), yeah, they're the best looking wheel you could get on the 3rd gen Integra. They polish up real nice too, if you want to put the work into it.

You are right, it's the ls/gs mesh. These just got parted off of a blown the gently caress up™ gsr. Window in the block, the whole kaboodle.

No joke, call corporate and complain about that service department. They'll put the screws to the service manager and you'll get taken care of.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A few months ago I asked a battery drain question regarding my golf cart and was helpfully pointed toward a cheap 36v to 12v DC converter to power accessories. Well it works great but it has a small power drain even when nothing is running.

I've been trying to find a 36v to 36v relay, so I can use the keyswitch circuit to cut the thing on and off. I've found a couple that are close but input side is max 32v.

The other option is running another switch, but this thing is annoying to pull apart and I really don't have room to cut another one in. Also, I like the idea of one switch to shut everything down. Am I overlooking something here?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

You are right, it's the ls/gs mesh. These just got parted off of a blown the gently caress up™ gsr. Window in the block, the whole kaboodle.

No joke, call corporate and complain about that service department. They'll put the screws to the service manager and you'll get taken care of.

Dealerships always suck, whatever, but also consider this from someone who occasionally had to sit at the front desk when our meth-head receptionist wouldn't show up: There's 12 service advisers total, up to two could have the day off, another two or three could be on lunch when you call between like 11:00-3:00, others' shift doesn't start until later in the morning or ends earlier in the afternoon, six of them are probably already on the phone or with customers, another two are getting screamed at by some lovely Boomer because his accessory belt with 60,000 miles on it needs replacement and some lady who had to wait two hours for her oil change when she just showed up to a high-volume dealer with a packed waiting room, and the rest are back in the shop because their tech needs to show them how hosed a customer's car is. Meanwhile, the front desk phone is getting blown the gently caress up and whoever is doing reception is trying their best to get the calls routed back to service while yet another Boomer starts the call with "So I bought my Camry from yous guys back in April of 2004, and it's got 165,478 miles on it now, and wow I just really love the car, it's silver with the beige interior and I wash it every Sunday afternoon, anyway, I just needed to schedule an oil change" while you have six other calls stacking up waiting to scream at you because they couldn't get through to service the first time. Back to the service department, those poor advisers have 12 phones going nuts with a call parked on each line, constantly ringing, someone's screaming at them, one of them just walked out because gently caress this bullshit.

So yeah, maybe consider that before calling the corporate office. Dealerships suck, but I promise you're not getting ignored unless you're being an rear end in a top hat, we want your money :v:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 2, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

"Does the penguin...enjoy that?" "Well," he responded after getting snapped at by the penguin, "they put up with it." Which to us read as, "Hell loving no they don't enjoy it."

Although your story sounds like abuse, the penguin biting the poo poo out of the dude is sort of what they do. We went to an aquarium in The Hague last year where they had a live penguin feeding. It was also breeding season so the... studs? I don't know what you call a male breeding penguin... the studs were pretty pissed off/horny/territorial and wanted to bring food home to their honeys.

So the keeper is pulling out fish from his satchel and the penguins are loving raking his hands and forearms with their serrated beaks; blood's coming out. One of the little kids next to me starts making worried Dutch sounds because this dude is taking hit after hit.

After about two dozen small-scale penguin attacks, the keeper starts grabbing the beaks before they can get to him, shaking their heads gently and then giving a bad-child lecture with his finger in the air. One of the penguins takes extreme umbrage to this, so he holds that penguin's beak shut the entire rest of the time while handing out the fish.

By the time they were done, he was bleeding pretty heavily from both arms and leaving a trail behind in the sand.

It definitely changed my perception of penguins from being roly-poly sea friends to angry little birds with razor-sharp beaks. At the Biodome and my local zoo, the keepers stay way further away from the birds when they are feeding them.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

angryrobots posted:

A few months ago I asked a battery drain question regarding my golf cart and was helpfully pointed toward a cheap 36v to 12v DC converter to power accessories. Well it works great but it has a small power drain even when nothing is running.

I've been trying to find a 36v to 36v relay, so I can use the keyswitch circuit to cut the thing on and off. I've found a couple that are close but input side is max 32v.

The other option is running another switch, but this thing is annoying to pull apart and I really don't have room to cut another one in. Also, I like the idea of one switch to shut everything down. Am I overlooking something here?

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield-relays/T9AP1D52-36-01/T9AP1D52-36-01-ND/1427730

36VDC coil, 30A NO contact, uses quick connect spade terminals. Cheapest one I could find on DigiKey, Tyco makes good relays. Not sure what your load is, 30A was the largest in my quick search. There are lower amp rated ones as well.

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/...e=1&pageSize=25

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It definitely changed my perception of penguins from being roly-poly sea friends to angry little birds with razor-sharp beaks.

I feel like that should be implicit in the phrase "carnivorous bird."

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sgt Fox posted:

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield-relays/T9AP1D52-36-01/T9AP1D52-36-01-ND/1427730

36VDC coil, 30A NO contact, uses quick connect spade terminals. Cheapest one I could find on DigiKey, Tyco makes good relays. Not sure what your load is, 30A was the largest in my quick search. There are lower amp rated ones as well.

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/...e=1&pageSize=25

I saw relays rated same as that one, but it says "switching voltage - 277VAC max"

Can I assume that it's ok switching 36VDC? The 16A version you linked lists DC and AC switch ratings, but I prefer one like you linked with the mounting tabs.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think I'm solidly into my 1/3 life crisis. This gets old after just getting done navigating my 1/4 life crisis. :v:

Job is pretty boring at this point and I'm ready for a change. Shouldn't have taken this transfer in the first place two years ago, but it was the same situation of being bored out of my mind and anything had to be better. Having another baby this year so don't want to leave the company for insurance reasons and feel stuck currently. I shouldn't complain because I'm doing fine financially and things are stable but goddamn the 8 hours a day I'm here are a drag. I just got back from a week long vacation and already considered taking more time off this week and next.

Couple this with the added annoyance of house shopping, the dread of moving and selling our house, and another baby coming soon adding more stress and it's a lot to juggle. This phase of adulthood isn't my favorite so far. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

I saw relays rated same as that one, but it says "switching voltage - 277VAC max"

Can I assume that it's ok switching 36VDC? The 16A version you linked lists DC and AC switch ratings, but I prefer one like you linked with the mounting tabs.

As long as it lists both AC and DC switch ratings, it'll be fine.

You can also get 12V directly by wiring the stereo directly to ONE battery (both + and -, obviously fused, make sure it doesn't ground through the chassis if the antenna or stereo is mounted to anything metal, but those things are mostly fiberglass bodies anyway, right?)

T-Square posted:

So yeah, maybe consider that before calling the corporate office. Dealerships suck, but I promise you're not getting ignored unless you're being an rear end in a top hat, we want your money :v:

It's a warranty thing... they're not getting any money from me, and from looking at the service bulletin, not much out of GM either. About 2 book hours to swap a fuel pump, fuel tank, and filler neck, including diagnosis and writing up the whole thing.

Maybe I shouldn't be mentioning warranty. :v:

I've been to this dealer a few times for parts, and walk past service to get there. It's always a ghost town - nobody at any desks. I may just see if my old service advisor in Dallas is still working at that dealer, he was easy to reach and easy to deal with for the exact same issue on my old car. I'm heading to Dallas for my mom's birthday soon anyway.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KillHour posted:

I feel like that should be implicit in the phrase "carnivorous bird."

It's hard to take them seriously, they're fat and dopey. Even more so since Americans aren't used to predatory birds interacting with humans

T-Square
May 14, 2009

STR posted:

It's a warranty thing... they're not getting any money from me, and from looking at the service bulletin, not much out of GM either. About 2 book hours to swap a fuel pump, fuel tank, and filler neck, including diagnosis and writing up the whole thing.

Maybe I shouldn't be mentioning warranty. :v:

I've been to this dealer a few times for parts, and walk past service to get there. It's always a ghost town - nobody at any desks. I may just see if my old service advisor in Dallas is still working at that dealer, he was easy to reach and easy to deal with for the exact same issue on my old car. I'm heading to Dallas for my mom's birthday soon anyway.

Well yeah, your dealer probably just sucks and you said you've called multiple times, but I'm just offering the perspective from another where our service department is always loving slammed before someone goes all baby-boomer "I'm gonna call corporate on your rear end" nuclear :bahgawd:, because we get that poo poo all of the time and nothing ever happens except for stressing our employees out and making receptionists cry even though they did nothing wrong and can't do anything about it. People regularly froth at the mouth when they can't hear back from someone right this second and don't realize we're pushing hundreds of people through here every day. And trust me, I used to process our warranty payments, we're certainly getting paid for that poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah, I know you're still getting paid, but generally at reduced hours vs what a retail repair would be, right?

I'm gonna try calling a couple more times and see if I can reach anyone or get a call back. I don't want to go nuclear; I'll just leave a salty Yelp review and move on to a different dealer.

edit: actually got a service advisor, holy poo poo. Gave him the VIN and he confirmed it should be covered. Taking the car in Tuesday morning, should have it back that day or Wednesday, depending on if they have the fuel pump and tank on hand or if they can be found locally.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 2, 2019

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

QuarkMartial posted:

We went to Ripley's in Pigeon Forge, TN where they offer a paint with a penguin experience...

That's the sort of experience you should anticipate in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, tourist hell hole of the south. Wife was doing a fund raiser 5k in Gatlinburg last weekend so I spent the morning wandering and quickly remembered why I hate the place. I could see maybe if you have younger kids or are just going moonshine tasting to tasting but otherwise :barf:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

STR posted:

Oh yeah, I know you're still getting paid, but generally at reduced hours vs what a retail repair would be, right?

I think the book hours are the same, the hourly rate is lower. Still, if you're a dealer and your passing on warranty work, you're probably not gonna be around for very long.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

STR posted:

As long as it lists both AC and DC switch ratings, it'll be fine.

It doesn't. But it's the one I want to use for ease of mounting, and the electronics guy recommended it up thread. =/

STR posted:

You can also get 12V directly by wiring the stereo directly to ONE battery (both + and -, obviously fused, make sure it doesn't ground through the chassis if the antenna or stereo is mounted to anything metal, but those things are mostly fiberglass bodies anyway, right?)

I don't want to do that, cause it will unevenly discharge the battery bank. At the recommendation ( of I'm pretty sure Sgt. Fox) a few months ago, I used a 36v to 12v converter which works perfectly other than the parasitic draw.

Most new carts are fiberglass, this one is from like 1992 so it's a metal body.

Speaking of, since you reminded me here.. My FM antenna reception is crap. It's mounted solidly to the metal body, but obviously nothing else on the cart is grounded to the body (I also ran discreet negative wiring to all the accessories). Since I ran the power through the reducer, should I/could I ground it down on the load side of that? Specifically to improve my antenna reception. Or what does this antenna need to work properly?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Can I rant about how garbage all of our shipping is in the US?

I ordered a new phone last week and it requires a signature, so FedEx put the little door tag on my door and circled the option for me to sign it and leave it for them, so they did. The next day, they stuck a new door tag with the same option circled next to the previous one I had signed and left, so I signed the new one and stuck it back on the door. The next day, the just checked "Final Attempt" and didn't write ANYTHING else, so I tried to track it on their website to no avail. Next step was calling the 1-800 number and fighting with a robot for ten minutes until I could get it to transfer me to someone of the human species. Turns out they took it back to the main distribution center which is over 25 miles from me, and to pick up packages there you have to go through a gated barbed wire fence, then pass through a separate security office and put all of your belongings in a bucket to hand over to the dickhead rent-a-cops, and then wait in a dingy lobby for 20 minutes before anyone even says anything to you. There's literally probably a dozen FedEx stores between here and there. The customer service girl was able to have it be sent to a FedEx pick-up point that's more local to me today, but I get the feeling that won't actually happen, so the outcome of this story is still TBD.

I also received all of my auto-loan poo poo in the mail, except the envelope was shredded to pieces, the contents were all beat up, and all of the above was stuffed into an un-sealed clear plastic bag with a note that basically said "We're sorry, we care about your mail but sometimes we can't keep it all in perfect condition, whoopsie!"

And don't even get me started on how UPS never loving delivers to my door either, and then charges me $5 for the convenience of going out of my way to pick up my poo poo.

Fuckers.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If there's any way to ship stuff to your workplace that will solve most of your problems. That's what I do, no security worries, never miss a package. No weekend delivery though.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

If there's any way to ship stuff to your workplace that will solve most of your problems. That's what I do, no security worries, never miss a package. No weekend delivery though.

Yeah, that's kind of my problem though. 99% of the time I'm actually ordering something online it's through Amazon which used to be a pain in the rear end, because our property management wouldn't give them keys, but now it's a non-issue. The other 1% is a couple of dirtbike parts websites which will not ship to any address different than your billing address, so now I just go local for that stuff. This case is also on Google as well, I'm on Google Fi, and I had to do this same song and dance with FedEx with my first phone through them because they also won't ship anywhere besides your billing address. Unfortunately, my work is in a weird place because it's a newer building, but on the same property, just on a different part of it, so now we have like three different possible addresses depending on who you're asking and no one recognizes any of them. It's hosed up.

But, FedEx's tracking decided to work now, and it just says "Delivered in Waukesha, signed for by KJohnson." Don't know who KJohnson is, but hopefully it's an employee at the drop off point I requested it to be sent to :shrug:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Any input on if Craigslist is worth it these days to list a vehicle now that it is $5? I have no problem with $5 but I don't just want to throw money away, this is new (the charge to list). Not listing a cheap vehicle.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Raise your asking price by $5 and call it a day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Oh hey, my sump pump burned out. Not shocking considering that somebody set the thermostat to Noah.

But hey, another house repair/upgrade completed. Bought the Bulldog with the battery backup and secondary pump system. Will probably upgrade it with the external super battery in the future.

My sump pump has a dead battery backup :sigh:
The thing isn't even a year old.
How the gently caress does a deep cycle marine battery left on a charger go bad in 9 months?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

T-Square posted:

Raise your asking price by $5 and call it a day.

:capitalism:

The door tag sign thingy is dumb. I don't know why they even put that option on the door tag. If the shipper requires a signature then the recipient needs to physically sign for the package in person.

Source: I was a FedEx Ground driver in a previous life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Suburban Dad posted:

I think I'm solidly into my 1/3 life crisis. This gets old after just getting done navigating my 1/4 life crisis. :v:

Job is pretty boring at this point and I'm ready for a change. Shouldn't have taken this transfer in the first place two years ago, but it was the same situation of being bored out of my mind and anything had to be better. Having another baby this year so don't want to leave the company for insurance reasons and feel stuck currently. I shouldn't complain because I'm doing fine financially and things are stable but goddamn the 8 hours a day I'm here are a drag. I just got back from a week long vacation and already considered taking more time off this week and next.

Couple this with the added annoyance of house shopping, the dread of moving and selling our house, and another baby coming soon adding more stress and it's a lot to juggle. This phase of adulthood isn't my favorite so far. :smith:

Want to move out to Fowlerville? I’m going to be selling a house out there in about 6 months. I am dreading having to get our poo poo together to sell a house too. I just started fixing it up, a little mud and paint here and there. I feel like I am staving off my midlife crisis (im 36 but let’s face it I do not treat my body well) by planning to build my own house here very soon. Maybe that is my midlife crisis after all. Why couldn’t it be a corvette?