Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Hi. This is me. I do Viking Reenactment, with live steel combat. Just this last weekend, one of the biggest events in the nation took place in Missouri at a place called Ravensborg, and it was an absolute blast.

We do a whole lot of group battles here, and you can do fights on your own if you wish. Most of the stuff is either gotten from warehouses that stock this kind of stuff, or people craft stuff on their own as well.

There were apparently about 300 reenactors on site including non-combatants, of which I felt like there were equally as many. I met a lot of people out there from just about all walks of life, from a guy who lives out of his truck to a Professional Wrestler for the WWE.

This is where I slept during my time there. It's pretty drafty, but I had a pretty large sheep skin to wrap myself in, so it wasn't all that bad.

The outside of the fort. All of this was built up over years of dedication, and thanks to the generosity of all those involved, admittance is absolutely free, with a feast included as well. Participants are encouraged to donate to the benefit auction near the end of Saturday, though.

Most everyone else was out in the camps surrounding the fort, though, and I spent most of my time hanging out with my crew out here.

In terms of crafts, you get quite literally everything, with jewelry, smithing, weaving, a special kind of crocheting called nålbinding that uses one needle that I am gonna learn to do one of these days I swear, woodworking..... The list goes on.

If anyone else out there does reenactment as a hobby, speak out, though I don't expect to see many other viking folks around. Go ahead and post your projects too I guess, I got a shield that I am working on atm.

fishception fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU