Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Freakinomics has done a couple shows about Kahneman / Tversky worth listening to.

Also I think there is overlap with the work of McGilchrist specifically what he desribes in The Master and His Emissary. The biases inherent in system two may be as dangerous as those of system 1 particularly if system one is what let's us see the gestalt.

Back when I was in grad school I produced a rough model (that I've posted in the trade thread) that the program head was particularly impressed with it, as the thinking nessisary to produce models of that type was what he was trying to teach with the program. He asked how I had come up with it. The real answer was, I saw it and merely put it on paper. But he wanted a system 2 / emissary style procedure that I had used to create it. I gave him a half assed one.

Another thing, the feeding the probation board study came up. Something one sees in a lot of cultures is that one must feed the guest before business is discussed. I encounter this a lot boarding merchant vessels with a large diversity of crew nationalities. It could be a simple as coffee to a full multi course meal ( followed by tea) or even alcohol. The very question of feeding the probation board is a good illustration of the system 1 / master vs the system 2 / emissary. It's plainly obvious this cultural practice to feed the other likely is functional. It's also very hard to really prove experimentally. In that word "experimentally" I think we can why the division between these two thinking systems is going to have huge far ranging consequences. I'd also caution the "pfft social sciences" crowd. Right now these types of mind problems are being tested experimentally with truly massive datasets on social media platforms. My understanding is that there are starting to be robust repeatable results for some of these questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU