Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BoF4 is the prettiest looking PS1 rpg, it aged really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

enjoy DDS op, those games were my intro to the SMT series and might be some of my favorite games of all time. Gale ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fiend Matador posted:

enjoy DDS op, those games were my intro to the SMT series and might be some of my favorite games of all time. Gale ftw

Thanks, I got a Free McBoot memory card and got my PS2 to load games over the network so I’m gonna dig in this weekend

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

BoF2 on GBA was a big comfy game for me, lots of nights staying up late playing it under the covers with only the LED backlight as my guide. Looking back it's weird how it introduces the really interesting elemental sages that let you transform your characters at the very end of the game since it's such a game changing mechanic.

I've been in a Dragon Quest mood lately. I might give V another go, I got pretty far when I played it in highschool but fell off for some random reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLhsTbpBmM

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I really dig the weird Hindu theme that DDS has going on

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I really dig the weird Hindu theme that DDS has going on

The whole game is like that and it gets crazier and crazier, it's awesome. Definitely overlooked series which is a shame

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08Ir0Mf_qg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdaEore0hc

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hell yeah. I also found the av I used in 2014 while I played the DDS games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey Heat, have a Snickers.

Why?

Because you get a little cranky when you’re hungry. Better?

Better.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
i was so excited over the 3DS strange journey and then life took over and I haven't picked it up in a while. should probably get around to that

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
What’s a good SMT game to start with? Are there any good Switch ones or are they all on 3/DS? I think I played a bit of the DS Strange Journey which was cool and then Digital Devil Summoner which was kinda whatever. Go straight for SMT4 orrrrr?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Play Nocturne

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

AverySpecialfriend posted:

What’s a good SMT game to start with? Are there any good Switch ones or are they all on 3/DS? I think I played a bit of the DS Strange Journey which was cool and then Digital Devil Summoner which was kinda whatever. Go straight for SMT4 orrrrr?

nocturne for the ps2 .. then theres digital devil saga. i agree the summoner games suck if u mean the ds ones, the raidou games are cool though. but smt iv for the 3ds is a masterpiece. basically ... start wherever u like.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
oh .. soul hackers is good, but i wouldnt start with that, cos its a remaster of an old as balls game. same with persona 2. basically u need to be an smt freak to put up with the retro stuff.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Always wanted to play Nocturne hmm

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I started up Shadow Hearts Covenant last week, blinked, and three hours went by

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Control Volume posted:

I started up Shadow Hearts Covenant last week, blinked, and three hours went by

You should see a doctor

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Today, I'm getting off my neet rear end and coding a jrpg battle system.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Henry has already hit me with several doses of “it can’t be helped” in the Dragon Quest V fan translation I’m playing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VWVWV posted:

Henry has already hit me with several doses of “it can’t be helped” in the Dragon Quest V fan translation I’m playing.

Are you playing the PS2 version?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Sex Tragedy posted:

Today, I'm getting off my neet rear end and coding a jrpg battle system.

Card battle system with an old school dragon quest pov.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sex Tragedy posted:

Card battle system with an old school dragon quest pov.

The Randy Pitchford tweet is metastisizing

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

The Randy Pitchford tweet is metastisizing

i wish i had that much power

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Are you playing the PS2 version?

Yeah, and I’m loving it so far. This is the first Dragon Quest I’ve really sunk this much time into and I can tell it’s not gonna be the last.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VWVWV posted:

Yeah, and I’m loving it so far. This is the first Dragon Quest I’ve really sunk this much time into and I can tell it’s not gonna be the last.

Nice, DQ kicks rear end. I’ve played the DS version of DQV but I got the PS2 translation patch so I’m gonna check it out

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Octopath on and off and it's such a cozy game. I like that the chapters are all the perfect length for a quick sesh before bed.

Kind of a shame that they're all basically identical in structure and none of the dungeons are very long/interesting but it's still a cool game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spent another 6 hours playing SH:C yesterday, Im remembering why this is the best game on the PS2

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm playing Octopath on and off and it's such a cozy game. I like that the chapters are all the perfect length for a quick sesh before bed.

Kind of a shame that they're all basically identical in structure and none of the dungeons are very long/interesting but it's still a cool game

i've been fighting for time for games and i really want to try octopath. i keep telling myself i'll get to it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

i've been fighting for time for games and i really want to try octopath. i keep telling myself i'll get to it.

it's really easy to slot in around other games. You can gently caress around and do optional stuff as much as you like but the actual chapters are only about 45 minutes long and you always have a choice of eight depending on your mood (every character story progresses independently)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Gonna play chrono cross. I've always liked the music in that game, I don't mind the terrible plot or story

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
terrible plot or story is a plus imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m a few dungeons into DDS and the game continues to own. Something about exploiting enemy weaknesses in SMT games really appeals to me

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

the element voiding skills in dds are really cool too, you feel like a genius when you predict correctly and delete the enemy's entire turn

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Octopath is epic but I wish there was more endgame content. Not that the final boss isn't sick just want more...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Gonna play chrono cross. I've always liked the music in that game, I don't mind the terrible plot or story

i think if it weren't for having to sort out which elements everyone is using all of the time, that game would have had way more staying power.

the plot isn't bad for PS1 era square, it's just completely indiscernible until at least your second playthrough. giving you a fast forward on NG+ was an idea ahead of its time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one of my friends in high school was really really into Kidd and wouldn't stop talking about how he liked just looking at her one night that we were all over his place, and his girlfriend told me she was thinking of sneaking into the game room and snapping the game discs in half while he wasn't looking. i talked her out of it but she broke up with him a few weeks later.

anyway, yasonuri mitsuda is a great composer, the soundtrack is great.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chrono Cross might be my favorite RPG, and the Dead Sea is definitely my favorite dungeon in an RPG.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the song that plays for Miguel....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Holy dragon sword