Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Chrono Cross might be my favorite RPG, and the Dead Sea is definitely my favorite dungeon in an RPG.

Yeah that part is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i finished chrono trigger. awesome game

from starting the final boss on black omen to the actual finish was like a 1h30m boss fight with 30 different phases lmfao insanity

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

can you even buy chrono cross on anything anymore? maybe next time i play through chrono trigger, i'll move on to the cross.

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

i bought the last remnant(remastered) during the sale. i've managed to hype this game up to myselffor ages without spoiling a drat thing...can't wait

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

can you even buy chrono cross on anything anymore? maybe next time i play through chrono trigger, i'll move on to the cross.

you can still buy sealed copies from square's online shop, but also it's on PSN for PS3/PSP/Vita

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i wish they had made chrono break.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

musclebusiness posted:

i bought the last remnant(remastered) during the sale. i've managed to hype this game up to myselffor ages without spoiling a drat thing...can't wait

Let us know in a no spoiler way if it's good

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

AverySpecialfriend posted:

What’s a good SMT game to start with? Are there any good Switch ones or are they all on 3/DS? I think I played a bit of the DS Strange Journey which was cool and then Digital Devil Summoner which was kinda whatever. Go straight for SMT4 orrrrr?

SMT4 and Apocalypse definitely have the most QOL features are are a lot more flexible with fusing demons, but Nocturne is really special and might be harder to go back to after playing 4 and 4:A. The Raidou games are hella fun, they're action RPGs so not your typical SMT fare but I think they're great. I really hated the Devil Survivor games, the art is terrible to look at and I didn't really like any of the characters. I also don't really like the Persona games but that's just because they're too story-heavy for me, I like the moody atmosphere of the mainline series a lot more.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Which jrpg do yall think has the best combat??

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sex Tragedy posted:

Dragon Quest 11

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dragon Quest 11

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sex Tragedy posted:

Not counting tactival RPGs like FFT because thats cheating, SMT4A or Syrian Odyssey

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bravely Default too... Octopath had a similarly satisfying flow but is a little more simplistic

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

fallout 3

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dragon Quest 11

yea this

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

trails of cold steel is prob my favorite turn based system i've played

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sex Tragedy posted:

Mines prolly DDS or Paper Mario.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Not counting tactival RPGs like FFT because thats cheating, SMT4A or Syrian Odyssey

Syrian odyssey would be a pretty good game imo.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Octopath imo. So sick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Mines prolly DDS or Paper Mario.

I'm really liking DDS' combat

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Press turn system from SMT easily

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I still like Dragon Quarter's battle system. Fast SRPG style not on a grid that's the exact same as the overworld map and where the enemies are in the same place and where you have no default attack, just varying skills with different hitboxes and abilities and stamina costs with no MP system. Also the ability to set up traps and ambushes before the battle starts.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Octopath imo. So sick

There’s something about the weakness/breaking system that’s just so satisfying. Maybe it’s just the cool effect when it happens.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Finding a boss’s weaknesses, whittling down their break counter, and timing the break when you have big boosts in the tank for massive damage is so satisfying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I still like Dragon Quarter's battle system. Fast SRPG style not on a grid that's the exact same as the overworld map and where the enemies are in the same place and where you have no default attack, just varying skills with different hitboxes and abilities and stamina costs with no MP system. Also the ability to set up traps and ambushes before the battle starts.

i bought this game when i was picking up xenosaga trilogy since it was cheap and ive always heard it was cool. looking forward to playing it eventually

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

Syrian odyssey would be a pretty good game imo.

lmao my phone is trying to get me arrested

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao my phone is trying to get me arrested

I am just thinking that the jrpg “we need to get on a boat for reasons” trope pretty much writes itself

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
i picked up dq11 this week. never played any of em. it looks so fresh goddamn

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Finding a boss’s weaknesses, whittling down their break counter, and timing the break when you have big boosts in the tank for massive damage is so satisfying

The battle system is sick but you level too fast so a lot of the fights are less tense than they should be. When you have to pull out every trick you have to just barely finish off a boss that's gone into super enrage mode it's great.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

P-Mack posted:

The battle system is sick but you level too fast so a lot of the fights are less tense than they should be. When you have to pull out every trick you have to just barely finish off a boss that's gone into super enrage mode it's great.

The final boss is freaking sick for this

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is there any way to play phantasy star 1->4 without resorting to romz/emulation.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
They released 1-3 on GBA but idk if there was ever a 4 rerelease

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ka0 posted:

Is there any way to play phantasy star 1->4 without resorting to romz/emulation.

Phantasy Star I is available as a Sega Ages title on Switch with some enhancements, and 2-4 are in the Genesis Collection that's available on PS4/XB1/Switch/Steam

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
that switch version is the best way to play it too

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Does the Switch version automap the dungeons?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

Yes

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

herculon posted:

yea

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I don't really consider dungeon crawlers or tactics games jrpgs for some reason. I feel like they're more strategy

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Phantasy Star I is available as a Sega Ages title on Switch with some enhancements, and 2-4 are in the Genesis Collection that's available on PS4/XB1/Switch/Steam

phantasy star I is on PS3 genesis collection you just have to unlock it and its really easy to. some achievement in echo the dolphin or streets of rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The sega ages switch version is better since they rebalnced the game so u get more money and exp and double walking speed and tbh phantasy star 2 is unplayable without similar patches