Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
I played through Phantasy star 2 and managed to finish it and it sucked and beating the end boss is entirely based on luck if he attacks twice in a row with some powerful attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

as a result of lurking this forum i bought and beat dq xi, and yah, holy poo poo was good

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Flexing my patient gamer muscles for DQXI Switch

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Flexing my patient gamer muscles for DQXI Switch

It was foolish of me not to wait.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

my morning jackass posted:

Weirdo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

my morning jackass posted:

Wow, what a fool I was for enjoying one of the best JRPG experiences ever

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wow, what a fool I was for enjoying one of the best JRPG experiences ever

whats this? I get to enjoy it not once, but twice?!

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

extremebuff posted:

whats this? I get to enjoy it not once, but twice?!

me when i throw up in my mouth

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Captain gently caress Face posted:

me when i throw up in my mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taD2YOx47fQ

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DQXI is the only game in history to be GOTY 2 years in a row

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

DQXI is the only game in history to be GOTY 2 years in a row
It's going to be an insanely long time before a game beats it, and that game will be Dragon Quest 12.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Sex Tragedy posted:

Which jrpg do yall think has the best combat??

I really like the Grandma/Child of Light battle system, but my heart forever belongs to Paper Mario

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

how do people feel about the hard mode in dq11..it was refreshing to be scared of regular mobs but i got really sick of it after a while, bosses felt like an RNG mess unless you grinded a ton. wish you could've turned it off and back on

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I have no idea how The World Ends With You has held up but objectively speaking, it has the best difficulty system and every rpg should copy it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gamers assuming everything that came out more than 5 years ago "aging poorly" pisses me off.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Gamers assuming everything that came out more than 5 years ago "aging poorly" pisses me off.

anything more than 3 years old is unplayable. that's a stone cold fact

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

games only keep getting better and more refined. it makes going back and playing a game like quake impossible now

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

yea .. i mean i cant do nes stuff (super mario 3 though .. ive played that and mr gimmick) or that old rear end atari type poo poo but even then, they made the best games they could with what they had at the time, right.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

yeah, I get being used to modern quality of life stuff, but 90% of the time if something "aged poorly" it just always sucked but you enjoyed it as a kid

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
you can tell a games aged badly when u pick up the cart and a bunch of dead centipedes and mushroom spores fall out of it

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

In Training posted:

It’s more the story and writing I don’t know if I would want to revisit than anything about the gameplay itself. Plus it’s like 50 bucks on switch which feels like a scam so I might just leave that one in the good gamer memories vault at least until I can find it on sale

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

you can tell a games aged badly when u pick up the cart and a bunch of dead centipedes and mushroom spores fall out of it

Lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

yea .. i mean i cant do nes stuff (super mario 3 though .. ive played that and mr gimmick) or that old rear end atari type poo poo but even then, they made the best games they could with what they had at the time, right.

they made a lot of shovelware garbage which is why the famicom has like 4000 games on it,actually

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the main thing that's improved in jrpgs is pacing and combat speed, like there's a reason they add a turbo button to every old game port.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

the main thing that's improved in jrpgs is pacing and combat speed, like there's a reason they add a turbo button to every old game port.

encounter rates are too drat high

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Every jrpg should have the speed/difficulty/encounter toggles from Bravely Default

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Every jrpg should have the speed/difficulty/encounter toggles from Bravely Default

Also this. TWEWY was cool bc it basically had two difficulty inputs, a normal difficulty toggle which changed enemy drop tables and a character level slider where the more levels down you had = higher drop rates.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If anyone's getting dragon quest 11 make sure it's the pc version so you can mod the actual music in or you'll be stuck in midi hell as I was

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

no random encounters and being able to just pick when you wanna fight like in dq11 is ideal

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

not familiar with this but 100% agreed in concept

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

those are incredible and there's no real excuse not to have them in every game. Don't understand why Octopath doesn't have an equivalent tbh

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

octopath wasn't made by the same studio as bravely

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

those are incredible and there's no real excuse not to have them in every game. Don't understand why Octopath doesn't have an equivalent tbh

Cyrus has an encounter reducing skill which I left on most of the time since it counteracted the over generous exp curve.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Ka0 posted:

If anyone's getting dragon quest 11 make sure it's the pc version so you can mod the actual music in or you'll be stuck in midi hell as I was

Thank you. i thought the music was pretty good already tbh but this is a lot better

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Control Volume posted:

Spent another 6 hours playing SH:C yesterday, Im remembering why this is the best game on the PS2

It's true. I loving loved that game, I miss playing.

Yuri is one of the best JRPG protagonists

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I have put 27 hours into octopath this last week 😳

the only jrpgs I played as a kid were the breath of fires that came out for the GBA I think? this reminds me of that and it’s been the only thing able to pull me away from phoenix Wright

I want to get into xenoblade, but idk if I’m just not far enough in or what but it hasn’t grabbed me yet like octopath did 😪

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

right arm posted:

I have put 27 hours into octopath this last week 😳

the only jrpgs I played as a kid were the breath of fires that came out for the GBA I think? this reminds me of that and it’s been the only thing able to pull me away from phoenix Wright

I want to get into xenoblade, but idk if I’m just not far enough in or what but it hasn’t grabbed me yet like octopath did 😪

My experience with Xenoblade was that I didn't get it at all for like 5 hours of gameplay and then suddenly the curtain fell away and it all made sense.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got a sweet accessory in Xenosaga today that lets me do two deathblows in a single turn if you have 6AP.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

not that i have a lot of experience in it but ive always imagined you cant really get into xenoblade until youre a complete jrpg freak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

trying to jack off posted:

not that i have a lot of experience in it but ive always imagined you cant really get into xenoblade until youre a complete jrpg freak

you dont have to be crazy to play this, but it helps!