Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

not that i have a lot of experience in it but ive always imagined you cant really get into xenoblade until youre a complete jrpg freak

i am a serious jrpg freak and i wont touch that series with a 10 meter pole. it looks like that hyper dimension neptunia poo poo or the tales series or something and from what ive played of 1 it basically is that ... the classics are best , imo. ff, dq, smt, pokemon, that kind of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

xenoblade 2 sounds cool but the art style and the 20 independent mechanics and systems make it seem like an insane parody of a jrpg

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i am a serious jrpg freak and i wont touch that series with a 10 meter pole. it looks like that hyper dimension neptunia poo poo or the tales series or something and from what ive played of 1 it basically is that ... the classics are best , imo. ff, dq, smt, pokemon, that kind of poo poo.

I am going to buy dq when it finally comes out on the switch for sure :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's everyone's favorite kinds of lategame JRPG accessories? I'm pretty partial to auto-haste items bc it makes you feel like Neo at the end of the matrix

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I like the stuff that lets you act multiple times in one action, like the one in FF6 that lets you attack 4 times a round, or the materia in FF7 that you link with a magic or summon materia so that it activates multiple times in one cast. I feel like Final Fantasy is always the one with the really broken things like that. In FF15 you can find an accessory for Noctis that makes him auto-phase through attacks.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Instant death spells that actually work.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the Combo Command in old Tales games which makes it so you're not limited to only 4 attacks assigned at once and you can use any of the ones you've learned at any moment as long as you know the fighting game command that gets assigned to it when the item is equipped

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

I like the stuff that lets you act multiple times in one action, like the one in FF6 that lets you attack 4 times a round, or the materia in FF7 that you link with a magic or summon materia so that it activates multiple times in one cast. I feel like Final Fantasy is always the one with the really broken things like that. In FF15 you can find an accessory for Noctis that makes him auto-phase through attacks.

FF6 had a ton of awesome broken accessories, like the Economizer that made all spells cost 1 MP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FF6 had a ton of awesome broken accessories, like the Economizer that made all spells cost 1 MP

Oh yeah, halve MP equips are awesome. I also like when you can double the MP cost to make them bonkers strong

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anything that increases critical rate is awesome to me, especially in games like SMT/Persona where critical hits matter more than just extra damage

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Instant death spells that actually work.

ff8 was the best for this because you could:

a) get a couple of tonberry cards and turn them into death, then junction it with stat-atk-j so you killed with every swing
and
b) any that death wouldn't clear up, you could just leave quistis's HP low enough so she could always trigger her limit break and use degenerator every time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A little more niche but the skills you can get in Fire Emblem that allow your unit to act first when they get attacked by an enemy feel like you're cheating which is great

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

breaking action economy is always extremely powerful in strategy games and it's even more nuts in turn-based stuff like final fantasy. it's why quick hit is so broken in ffx

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
extremely powerful feeling when you see the turn queue fill up with one of your chars

the megaman x rpg had the same system and in the end game you could have 10+ turns in a row.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Radiant Historia letting you just swap peoples turns at will as a standard gameplay mechanic was loving nuts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Milkman posted:

the megaman x rpg
the what

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Megaman X Command Mission

Made by some breath of fire people.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_X:_Command_Mission

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had no idea this existed. I thought he was trying to talk about Mega Man Legends and I got super confused

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

What's everyone's favorite kinds of lategame JRPG accessories? I'm pretty partial to auto-haste items bc it makes you feel like Neo at the end of the matrix

auto haste for sure .. getting the running boots from fighting tantarian early on disc 2 ff9 is the most epic thing in the world

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
basically anything that nulls 1 specific element or ailment too .. stuff like the ribbon i dont like cos that just defeats the point of planning for hard boss fights, but flame shields and null blind type stuff are great

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
other than that ... maybe half mp cost or ones that boost magic but boost the mp cost too, or like MP attack in ff9 which boosts your physical attack but makes it cost mp. i dont like one mp cost accessories though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anything that lets you break damage limits is godly

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Those items that let you live with 1 HP when you take lethal damage

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

breaking action economy is always extremely powerful in strategy games and it's even more nuts in turn-based stuff like final fantasy. it's why quick hit is so broken in ffx

in smt4 endgame there was a skill that could give yourself a bunch of extra pressturns so you could fully power up someones multihit attack and deal a million dmg, felt awesome

also mother 3 is a treasure

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

In Training posted:

A little more niche but the skills you can get in Fire Emblem that allow your unit to act first when they get attacked by an enemy feel like you're cheating which is great

Every single thing I did in FF5 made me feel like I was cheating. It was awesome.

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

technically not accessories but the happy hat and glombolero in dragon quest :)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I remember really loving this game. I was like 12 though so that doesn’t necessarily mean it was actually good

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Haste is my favorite but abilities like blade grasp that give you a chance to avoid hits stacked with evasion gear is badass as well

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

xenoblade 2 sounds cool but the art style and the 20 independent mechanics and systems make it seem like an insane parody of a jrpg

Demonius x unsheathing a katana and you can see the letters NIG and half of another g obscured by the sheath

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

Demonius x unsheathing a katana and you can see the letters NIG and half of another g obscured by the sheath

Lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I remember really loving this game. I was like 12 though so that doesn’t necessarily mean it was actually good
i was between buying this and tales of symphonia with my pocket money in 2005. i wish i'd bought this, instead i bought tales of symphonia and joined the tales series forums and ruined my life for like three years

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i was between buying this and tales of symphonia with my pocket money in 2005. i wish i'd bought this, instead i bought tales of symphonia and joined the tales series forums and ruined my life for like three years

becoming a mega man lore psycho is even lower

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

symphonia's like golden sun in that its an average game that got elevated to Beloved status by nintendo kids because 99% of jrpgs were playstation only during that time. same thing happened again later with vesperia being an xbox exclusive.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i thought golden sun went the opposite way. all the reviews were like this is top tier godly jrpg gaming then eventually everyone realised it was poo poo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I liked Golden Sun at the time but I doubt it's held up at all

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ive never played it to be honest. but ive heard its poo poo .. maybe i shouldnt talk about what i dont know about though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Golden Sun did have pvp which imo is a feature sorely lacking in many non Pokemon rpgs