Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
but i rmeeeber all the reviews at the time in the UK sucking it off and calling it the greatest poo poo ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I remember when I was like idk 11 or 12 there was this insane browser game that was just pvp ffv but it was really crappily made and you had to pick all your abilities from html drop down menus. It’s impossible to find any references to it anymore but it left me permanently brain damaged so now when I play games like bravely, Octopath etc I can’t stop thinking how sick it would be to fight my tricked out team against someone else

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it was one of the first big gba games so i think reviewers were still wowed that a game that looked fancier than FF6 was on a handheld

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

I didn’t know Golden Sun had the following it did until people started making noise about how Isaac should be in smash. I played maybe two hours of the second one before my second grade brain dropped that rear end for Pokémon yellow.

The soundtracks to those games are interesting though. Every song is a midi file that uses compressed samples of instruments from a Roland SC-88 instead of a regular soundfont

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I replayed Golden Sun recently and the slick presentation hides a thoroughly average rpg. The djinn stuff is cool, I liked all the hidden "classes" that you can figure out by combining them. The characters have no personality and the story is pretty whatever. The sequel is a lot worse because it's way longer so the flaws of the first are way more apparent, like some psi abilities only being used in the dungeon they're introduced in and maybe one or two other areas and the flat characters and the insane amount of djinn becomes a rareware style collectathon. It doesn't really deserve the hype it gets but it doesn't deserve any real guff either

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The second game is subtly uglier too, the first game has a cohesive muted earthy color scheme and then the second one randomly has bright neon colors thrown in some areas and weird sprite work for some stuff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

a lot of GBA sequels to GBA games made themselves way brighter on account of the early systems not being backlit and getting feedback that they're impossible to see. Harmony of Dissonance was the same way.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

in the sequel to golden sun they made every dungeon 2-3 times as long and full of even more dumb puzzles. it's a real slog.

also the best jrpg combat system is star ocean the second story

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Love any item or skill that let's you Regen mp passively, like Chakra Walk in smt, or anything that lets you steal it from enemies. I wanna stay topped up at all times otherwise I worry about not having enough for a boss.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

golden sun was ok but doesn't deserve some of the poo poo it gets now. it was very pretty and had a lot of charm, and the djinn system was pretty cool with some sick summons. all the secret bosses and djinn and so on were cool too.

the sequel was insane and wasn't good but I'm still impressed by how much weird poo poo they crammed into it, like going to atlantis and all the weird scenarios and set pieces. unfortunately it's impossible to enjoy because for every bit like that there's four hours of the same horrible dungeon over and over

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I liked golden sun at the time and was blown away by how good it looked but I remember very little else about it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Star ocean lets you break the game with clever crafting/blacksmithing and alchemy, you don't really have to grind for exp as much as getting the right skills first. Those psp releases First Departure and Second Evo are god-tier. Second Story on psx too. I love star ocean but I must admit I was forcing myself to keep playing through last hope and integrity & faithlessness

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

golden sun was ok but doesn't deserve some of the poo poo it gets now. it was very pretty and had a lot of charm, and the djinn system was pretty cool with some sick summons. all the secret bosses and djinn and so on were cool too.

the sequel was insane and wasn't good but I'm still impressed by how much weird poo poo they crammed into it, like going to atlantis and all the weird scenarios and set pieces. unfortunately it's impossible to enjoy because for every bit like that there's four hours of the same horrible dungeon over and over

The Atlantis stuff was honestly a really cool idea, like how you had to go to a random village and play a children's rhyming game to learn the secret to enter. But while typing this I remembered the sixteen other steps before you get to atlantis like putting together the boat which is like six different quests, putting together a trident to fight the boss before Atlantis which is like four more quests. And afterward that's only like the halfway point of the game

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not even sure how it fit in anymore but there's a crazy werewolf village too you do at some point in all that.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The new party members in DQ8 3ds are cool but ultimately useless in boss fights. The original 4 are still the way to go for those, but for running around exploring they kick rear end due to zenny+ passives. Everyone gets equal exp whether in the party or not as well so it's win-win. I feel like this version is harder for some reason lol, Empyrea whooped my rear end like 3 times in a row

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The new party members in DQ8 3ds are cool but ultimately useless in boss fights. The original 4 are still the way to go for those, but for running around exploring they kick rear end due to zenny+ passives. Everyone gets equal exp whether in the party or not as well so it's win-win. I feel like this version is harder for some reason lol, Empyrea whooped my rear end like 3 times in a row

a really neat thing about them is if you get a full party wipe, they run in and replace the 2 middle party members and you can continue fighting with them, and possibly resurrect the 2 people they didnt replace

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i had that happen in a big story boss fight and managed to turn the tide back around and win and it was one the hypest things ive ever seen in a jrpg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i had that happen in a big story boss fight and managed to turn the tide back around and win and it was one the hypest things ive ever seen in a jrpg

Awesome

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

DQXI gives you two Kerplunk users for this very reason and it is indeed hype as all gently caress.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I could probably find the tv screenshot I took with my phone camera a few years ago of DQVIII standing over 3 dead bodies + godbird Defeated

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

I could probably find the tv screenshot I took with my phone camera a few years ago of DQVIII standing over 3 dead bodies + godbird Defeated

I definitely remember the Dhoulmagus fight being a noob wall but not Empyrea. She utterly destroyed me with confusion/paralysis. Maybe I was just underleveled but I don't remember doing anything differently from my other runs

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

i got that with the lil octopus guy at the start once you board the boat.. the fight took like 4 rounds total and it was carnage. it was like that scene u get in anime where u get like 2 samurai slash eachother once and bohth are wounded and then 1 eventually falls over, defeated.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the octopus fight in dq10 was the hardest boss for me too, cos i didnt do the cannon thing. that was ppretty long though. i got him on the first try but .. so much death ...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The Atlantis stuff was honestly a really cool idea, like how you had to go to a random village and play a children's rhyming game to learn the secret to enter. But while typing this I remembered the sixteen other steps before you get to atlantis like putting together the boat which is like six different quests, putting together a trident to fight the boss before Atlantis which is like four more quests. And afterward that's only like the halfway point of the game
i think when you build the boat and have to find the trident parts it just sets you loose on the ocean and tells you to find them with no guidance whatsoever and you have to explore the entire world lol. I think there's a weird racist jungle village where you have to win an obstacle course race at some point? and there's a giant talking head that you have to take over to give commands to the jungle savages? or was that two different places. such a weird game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got a new tech attack for KOSMOS that loads an FMV when you use it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I definitely remember the Dhoulmagus fight being a noob wall but not Empyrea. She utterly destroyed me with confusion/paralysis. Maybe I was just underleveled but I don't remember doing anything differently from my other runs

when i played dq8 on 3ds a few years ago empyrea was a major wall. only way to deal real dmg was to tense up mc/yangus over several turns and land a big hit, but Empyrea spams stuns and the "status clear" thing late DQ bosses do so the whole match was a gamble

took me a ton of tries but you get the best reward ever for beating her

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

mysterious loyall X posted:

Demonius x unsheathing a katana and you can see the letters NIG and half of another g obscured by the sheath

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is a pretty good jrpg and i hope that falcom will eventually make a sequel now that they're done with trails of cold steel. idk how i feel about the localization though, it's weird to see a character say "i guess i'm taking this L"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that one was localized by different ppl than the other falcom games and they left all the *chuckle*s and *chortle*s in which i hate

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Minus Green posted:

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is a pretty good jrpg and i hope that falcom will eventually make a sequel now that they're done with trails of cold steel. idk how i feel about the localization though, it's weird to see a character say "i guess i'm taking this L"

I started playing this and it’s pretty deece so far... Persona’s social stuff and Ys-like gameplay in the dungeons

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's pretty good prob the weakest of the vita falcom games and is really blatant about being made out of repurposed cold steel assets but i still enjoyed it

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I am now 42 hours into octopath and am still digging it. I vow to put some time into xenoblade soon though. I hope dq11 will come out soon though because I think it might grab me more than xenoblade was able to

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've unlocked two of the secret jobs in Octopath (starseer and runelord) and I'm going completely out of my mind trying to come up with insane party setups. if the other two have similarly clever abilities/options I'm going to end up in full theorycrafting sicko mode and never actually play it again

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 23, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wait what. I just found out about subclasses and that was enough to blow my mind. I gave the scholar subclass to the cleric and she’s now an elemental goddess of death

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've unlocked two of the secret jobs in Octopath (starseer and runelord) and I'm going completely out of my mind trying to come up with insane party setups. if the other two have similarly clever abilities/options I'm going to end up in full theorycrafting sicko mode and never actually play it again

the other 2 are way less clever and more brute force powerful

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's probably for the best. Warlord was the first one I fought and I couldn't beat her so I'm gonna go back with the other classes now

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that's probably for the best. Warlord was the first one I fought and I couldn't beat her so I'm gonna go back with the other classes now

lol i wandered into the runelord one around like level 42 and got slaughtered

most of my party is now around lvl 50 or so save for my cleric since I kept rotating between her and the dancer

I have high hopes for xenoblade after this, but this game just really reminds me of the only jrpgs I ever got to play as a kid: breath of fire 1/2 and golden sun (which was not close to as good)

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Runelord tressa = aoe spell blade

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I've heard that Trails on the Sky > Trails of cold steel, confirm/deny please
Both are great apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think so but that's primarily because Sky has already finished telling its complete story whereas Cold Steel is only halfway through. I do think Cold Steel is a bit bloated though, the first two games are paced a bit slower than I'd like.

Regardless the series is one of the best RPG series ever so yeah they're all great.