Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Thought I would post that there currently is a minor translation project going on for Gihren's Ambition: Threat of Axis V for the PSP.

As of right now, it translates the menus, the unit names, the plans for the Federation and the next release will translate the plans for Zeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

Thought I would post that there currently is a minor translation project going on for Gihren's Ambition: Threat of Axis V for the PSP.

As of right now, it translates the menus, the unit names, the plans for the Federation and the next release will translate the plans for Zeon.

Where is this the only one I was able to find had died earlier in the year.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

dbzfandiego posted:

Where is this the only one I was able to find had died earlier in the year.

On /m/

https://pastebin.com/3fLsrSit

EDIT: Just got an update for the Gihren campaign

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 29, 2019

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Onmi posted:

I’m extremely excited about this.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is it eventually going to be a full translation? Or just an interface translation thing? (I dont really know what "plans for federation" means, I haven't played the game but absolutely would if a translation was available)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Is it eventually going to be a full translation? Or just an interface translation thing? (I dont really know what "plans for federation" means, I haven't played the game but absolutely would if a translation was available)

Plans mean things like... "The V Project" or "Give a speech"

So the plan right now is to do all of these. Because of all the units, pilot names, yes/no, attack/defence etc. That's all done. So once all the plans are done, the next step is dialog. Issue, because it uses the ppsspp dev tools to texture replace, he needs to trigger every individual event and get all those event variances to get the text, he can't just rip the text files from the game and shove them back in. To explain how difficult that can be...

https://girensgreed.fandom.com/wiki/EFSF_Event_Tree

Just check the wikipage

EDIT: Here's the new update. Weapons and Special Abilities.

EDIT 2: Everything but the Dialog is done now.

quote:

For those who haven't been following Copy X's runs of the game, I'm the guy that created the original UI translation of the game released on Christmas. I've started to update the translation again after solving the original problems with the translation that stopped me from translating more of the game by making a small change to the PPSSPP emulator's source code to change it's texture replacement feature slightly. This current release now has all special plans, and unit weapon/ability names in addition to the UI, menus, pilot and unit names and stats, location and terrain names that my original translation had. The only things I have left to translate are the dialogue and some UI elements.

For those who aren't familiar with my translation, you'll need to use the PPSSPP emulator to play the translation as I use its texture replacement feature for most of the translation, included with the translation is my custom version of the emulator which is needed for my translation to work.

My current plan for the translation is to start doing dialogue translation starting with the intros for all the campaigns, then I'll release an update with all the translated intros and I'll move onto translating the rest of the dialogue with the end goal being a complete translation of the game. Since I'm not sure how long dialogue translation will take I decided now would be a good time to create a separate thread for the game to let people who don't follow the Copy X threads and might be interested know. I've also included my character mods with my the translation which includes 52 character variations and new characters these were mainly made just for fun and to help with Copy X's runs there are instructions inside on how to enable and disable them.

Here is the Translation Pastebin

The character Mods (Mostly just other UC Pilots or What-If pilots)
https://pastebin.com/36UFT3Gz

And the dudes pastebin account with all of his hacking stuff, cheat stuff and paypal/donation stuff if you want to throw him some cash.
https://pastebin.com/u/GihrensTranslator

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 3, 2019

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Interesting, I'll be very happy when this is completed!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Very sad I can't get UMDgen (any version) to boot on my win10 laptop. Any alternatives?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

It's very weird going from Blood of Zeon to Menace of Axis V. Regardless of difficulty setting, the CPU feels much more fast-paced in MoAV than BoZ. It is absolutely relentless with technology even at Easy and gets occasional tranches of money that it blows on a ton of suits. Getting out-teched sucks real bad too - the Federation does not get a lot of space-use tech until past Tech Level 7, which by then Zeon probably already has Zaku Kais and Rick Doms (which waaaaaaaay outclass GMs and will put a big hurt on your GM Cannons and Sniper Customs, which are your only space-use MS at Tech 6).

One nice change, though? Carriers are much, much cheaper in terms of money. You can actually field a fair number of White Bases!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

It's very weird going from Blood of Zeon to Menace of Axis V. Regardless of difficulty setting, the CPU feels much more fast-paced in MoAV than BoZ. It is absolutely relentless with technology even at Easy and gets occasional tranches of money that it blows on a ton of suits. Getting out-teched sucks real bad too - the Federation does not get a lot of space-use tech until past Tech Level 7, which by then Zeon probably already has Zaku Kais and Rick Doms (which waaaaaaaay outclass GMs and will put a big hurt on your GM Cannons and Sniper Customs, which are your only space-use MS at Tech 6).

One nice change, though? Carriers are much, much cheaper in terms of money. You can actually field a fair number of White Bases!

I'm going to be doing a video guide series on how to play the Federation (I've taken being able to routinely do Very Hard, so I think I can teach Easy/Normal) The thing to understand is Zaku Kai's and Rick Dom's might outclass bog standard GM's but they don't outclass the GM Sniper's (Don't bother with Cannons) The GM Light Armour's will be serving as your main melee force (Until the GM Space Command is done) And never, EVER, forget about your Ace-Piloted Gundam's.

But yeah, it seems insurmountable, until you learn all the tricks, then it seems nearly trivial. Once you can conquer Peking/Beijing before Turn 5, you can comfortably have the war in the bag.

Koorisch posted:

Interesting, I'll be very happy when this is completed!

Right now, he's currently mid-translation of Gihren's Campaign. The plan is to go Gihren->EFSF->The other main campaigns.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like that the best path for Zeon in Menace of Axis V is generally just telling almost every Zeon officer that asks you for something to gently caress off as early and as often as possible. You can save basically all of Zeon's aces this way :laugh:

Except when Ranba asks for Doms, if you give them to him, he captures White Base!

I never did unlock all of the scenarios for that game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, here's a quick written guide to surviving Gihren's Ambition as the Federation.

Always be attacking the enemy. I know that seems dumb because you only have tanks and planes and they have mobile suits... you only need these in the first few turns. And it's vital you start cutting Zeon off from the rest of the battlefield, keep them spread out and busy.

This is our Startpos. We should be invading North Australia, China, Central America and Russia-3 on earth. In space, we have a single, general goal. We want to retake the Earth Sphere and claim the colonies and form a defensive line.

So... how do we do this, how do we actually take these locations with just tanks and planes?

Well, for one we have to understand how battle damage works in Gihren's Ambition. The first unit in a stack will always take the most damage, the second unit will take around half that, and the third will receive around 25% Now... for Mobile Suits that's general fine, since they're either Solo-Ace units or 3-unit squads. For tanks and planes who are generally 5 and 3, that's worse... so... why stack up?

Let's make an example.

In this image example, the Zaku's going to attack one of the Fly Mantha bombers (By the way you'll make a lot of these in turn one and two)

So, if those two Fly Mantha were stacked, one would take 100% of the Damage, the next 50%, but because they're solo, one takes 100% and... that's it. We might lose the Mantha, but who cares they're cheap to make. meanwhile 4 whole units take 0 battle damage.

And then on the next turn, they'll go after our weakened Fly Mantha

And here we see the positioning we use, the AI can't step into the center hex (Due to Zone of Controll, an enemy unit can only make one step into a gap through two 'adjacent' enemy units So our Tanks are safe and the enemy is going to be attacking our Fly Mantha again.

The next important lesson to learn is... retreat those damaged units. A Type-61 that's down to 1 or even 3 tanks isn't worth being on the field, pack it up into the Medea, and fly em out of the battlefield. Then repair them on your next turn, and send them right back in. So long as you don't lose the unit, you're doing well. Next let's look at all those Tin Cods. The Tin Cod is only able to attack flying units, so they're useless right? Wrong... they still occupy a hex, in fact the enemy is more likely to attack them because they prioritize units that can't counter attack.

So down in Australia on Turn 1, you wanna make 6 Type-61's and 2 Medea's That's generally how you're going to make tanks because otherwise their movement is poo poo useless. Up in Madrid you're going to make 6 Fly Mantha. On Turn 2 you'll reverse those developments. And if your production is good, if you make good use of your units, those are the only non-MS you'll ever have to make.

In my little test run I did before for others, my Turn 2 looks like this, every red space with a yellow dot is a space I'm invading. On turn 2 I'm going to invade Peking/Beijing, All those green units In Madrid and India are heading to China. The reason? Our invasion of Beijing on this turn isn't intended to take the territory.

What we've done is stopped production of units here, We're going to take that first supply point and we're not moving beyond it, we're going to let the enemy army come to us, because on the next turn our action invasion force will come in.

Now, importantly, there is one exception to the "Always be attacking" plan, and that is Central America. The reason we don't attack into America is because when we do, we lose the ability to defend Central America, because to the right is California and we aren't able to attack that base yet, and we can't attack New Yark, so do you wanna risk defending all those fronts? Or do you wanna defend Central America and not have overextend?

After that, your goal is to produce a Single Pegasus and a single Guntank in each of your bases. you'll staff them with captains and Aces and they'll be cleaning up. A Guntank with an ace with ship support and a good player can hold back an army of Zaku's.

So... Ace distribution is the next important part. Step 1, rip every non-ship captain Ace out of whatever unit they're in, they won't be doing anything until we Mobile Suits, we're also going to want one of either Tianem or Kowen. The reason is that we might be using aces, but a strong commander buffs generic grunts.

Here's John Kowen's area of influence, and combine that with his Leadership and Charisma

And Type-61's and Fly Mantha attacking inside his sphere of influence will be hitting hard, far harder than if he wasn't there. Which brings us to our trap characters.

This is Gopp... You notice how Gopp is an Admiral? He's the highest rank an officer can be in Gihren's Ambition, he shares rank with Revil... Gopp is poison to every unit you own, his area of influence is gigantic, and his stats are abysmal. Only the highest-ranking officer counts for bestowing bonusesso unless Revil is also on the field, or Gopp is nowhere near your other commanders, their huge leadership and charisma wont mean poo poo, because Gopp is overriding them.

Green Wyatt is another trap, there's no reason TO use him, his stats are abysmal, his leadership is abysmal and he turns off every commander who isn't Vice Admiral or higher. These guys need to sit at home and never be deployed, they will make you worse.

Now there's one other technique that's kinda obvious, but I'll go over anyway.

If the enemy can't counter attack, they will default to defending, defending units take way less damage, and when you consider bombardment is harder to hit with anyway, it also means you're missing more shots. So what can be done... make a sacrifice.

By using this single unit of fighters against Char Aznable, Char will attack back, because it's an easy kill for him. But it means all my battleships opening up on his Zaku have way more accuracy than they would. A strategy that will last you to the end of the game is to make... tiny space fighters, or tanks, or Tin-Cods or whatever that's cheap and plentiful... and use them as a barrier force. let the enemy useless blow them up while your teams continue to shell them to kingdom come. They die, what do you care they cost peanuts to make, A single fighter for a Gelgoog? So that my main force isn't attack? Hell yeah it's worth it. Now you don't need to do this, but it's a strategy that is hard to fail with.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Onmi posted:

But yeah, it seems insurmountable, until you learn all the tricks, then it seems nearly trivial. Once you can conquer Peking/Beijing before Turn 5, you can comfortably have the war in the bag.

One trick I learned - that absolutely broke the game in half against Zeon (Easy) - is to always keep an eye on what the enemy is producing and act accordingly.

So I noticed after taking everywhere but Kilimanjaro that, for some reason, Zeon was laser-focused on pumping out a poo poo-ton of Earth-only suits. But not at Kilimanjaro - they were pumping them out from A Baoa Qu and Solomon.

They did maintain some control of Earth Space, though, so they decided that the best place to stage what I'll assume is the Second Earth Drop Operation is Peking Space. They weren't half-assing, either - there were 60+ units in Peking Space by the time I decided to do something.

If I wasn't watching the production queues, I might've assumed that it was a giant force full of Zaku Kais, Zaku R2s, and Rick Doms just waiting to powder the jaws of my meagre GMs, GM Cannons, and GM Snipers.

Since I was though - I called the bluff. I moved about 21 units (Salamis-refits with squads of GMs+GM Cannons and GM Snipers) to attack Peking Space and hoped for the best.

Of the 60+ units Zeon had stationed there, 6 were capable of fighting in space. I rolled over them easily.

Another rule that Gihren's Greed doesn't explain - if there are units that aren't capable of fighting in an area (like Earth-only units in Space) and that area gets conquered, they all get destroyed. And that's how, in the span of two combat turns, I halved Zeon's MS forces.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

One trick I learned - that absolutely broke the game in half against Zeon (Easy) - is to always keep an eye on what the enemy is producing and act accordingly.

So I noticed after taking everywhere but Kilimanjaro that, for some reason, Zeon was laser-focused on pumping out a poo poo-ton of Earth-only suits. But not at Kilimanjaro - they were pumping them out from A Baoa Qu and Solomon.

They did maintain some control of Earth Space, though, so they decided that the best place to stage what I'll assume is the Second Earth Drop Operation is Peking Space. They weren't half-assing, either - there were 60+ units in Peking Space by the time I decided to do something.

If I wasn't watching the production queues, I might've assumed that it was a giant force full of Zaku Kais, Zaku R2s, and Rick Doms just waiting to powder the jaws of my meagre GMs, GM Cannons, and GM Snipers.

Since I was though - I called the bluff. I moved about 21 units (Salamis-refits with squads of GMs+GM Cannons and GM Snipers) to attack Peking Space and hoped for the best.

Of the 60+ units Zeon had stationed there, 6 were capable of fighting in space. I rolled over them easily.

Another rule that Gihren's Greed doesn't explain - if there are units that aren't capable of fighting in an area (like Earth-only units in Space) and that area gets conquered, they all get destroyed. And that's how, in the span of two combat turns, I halved Zeon's MS forces.

Here's another way to manipulate that. Some people playing the Federation note that Zeon uh... tends to give up Solomon without a battle, or A Baoa Qu, because so long as Zeon has an earth based territory, they will produce units in space to reinforce it. But because Zeon has so many MS that just don't DO anything in space and only work on earth, that means their actual forces will suck. As well, once you finally do take their last earth territory, they will immediately scrap all those units for resources.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Onmi posted:

Here's another way to manipulate that. Some people playing the Federation note that Zeon uh... tends to give up Solomon without a battle, or A Baoa Qu, because so long as Zeon has an earth based territory, they will produce units in space to reinforce it. But because Zeon has so many MS that just don't DO anything in space and only work on earth, that means their actual forces will suck. As well, once you finally do take their last earth territory, they will immediately scrap all those units for resources.

Yeah, Zeon actually left Solomon unoccupied when I took it. Which was well good and all - that meant that Sleggar Law survived and lived to help me out in the 0083 era.

Speaking of which - hoo boy, that's when they really start turning up the difficulty on you. Delaz does have a slight tech edge on you and Gelgoog Marines are generally much better than what you might have at the time (GM Kais - upgrading to Customs and Powered GMs is very expensive), but GM Sniper IIs will keep punching above their weight like goddamn champs (and are the general answer to almost everything Delaz has aside from the Neue Ziel - but then your GM Kais/Customs/Powered GMs are very solid answers to that problem alongside MP Guncannons).

All that being said - being aggressive in terms of taking territory and knowing how to fight a defensive battle will let you chump Delaz hard. Then the game throws Axis at you, and they've got ZZ-era tech while you're still puttering around with 0083 tech and early Zeta tech (mainly Hi-Zacks, which aren't a great answer to Galluss-Js and Zssa Boosters - unless they're Hi-Zack Customs, which are your GM Sniper II replacement). I'm pretty sure early Axis is designed to weaken you quite a bit for the subsequent civil war afterwards (as at that point if you're still maintaining a force of GM Kais and Sniper IIs, they're acceptable losses in the meatgrinder that is Axis in order to make space for newer units).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, Zeon actually left Solomon unoccupied when I took it. Which was well good and all - that meant that Sleggar Law survived and lived to help me out in the 0083 era.

Speaking of which - hoo boy, that's when they really start turning up the difficulty on you. Delaz does have a slight tech edge on you and Gelgoog Marines are generally much better than what you might have at the time (GM Kais - upgrading to Customs and Powered GMs is very expensive), but GM Sniper IIs will keep punching above their weight like goddamn champs (and are the general answer to almost everything Delaz has aside from the Neue Ziel - but then your GM Kais/Customs/Powered GMs are very solid answers to that problem alongside MP Guncannons).

All that being said - being aggressive in terms of taking territory and knowing how to fight a defensive battle will let you chump Delaz hard. Then the game throws Axis at you, and they've got ZZ-era tech while you're still puttering around with 0083 tech and early Zeta tech (mainly Hi-Zacks, which aren't a great answer to Galluss-Js and Zssa Boosters - unless they're Hi-Zack Customs, which are your GM Sniper II replacement). I'm pretty sure early Axis is designed to weaken you quite a bit for the subsequent civil war afterwards (as at that point if you're still maintaining a force of GM Kais and Sniper IIs, they're acceptable losses in the meatgrinder that is Axis in order to make space for newer units).

The actual reason is way... way stupider.

So... before Threat of Axis the way Part 2 worked was Delaz would be around and then at like... turn 120, the Titans would form as a third faction (or the AEUG depending on your alignment) The problem was the has no like... mechanical way to handle if the Delaz faction is wiped out, without another faction to replace them... Now, you might think that you'd run a checker to see where, alignment wise, you fall between the AEUG and Titans, and then send you to fight them. but the decision they made was "If you beat Delaz, spawn Axis."

Now, they decided they'd shift it for Menace of Axis and just make it one faction at a time, no bullshit... except they forgot to swap the triggers around so it still goes Delaz->Axis->Titans/Aeug. But unlike before where you'd have the Titans around to transition too, now it's just... Axis's bullshit.

I've been looking into, occasionally, on how to swap the flags around, but really. It's just unfun. You'll either struggle hard OR you'll sit down and grind our your tech until you're at an equal level.

The reason I don't think this is intended is that so much of the federations tech tree is simply unavailable until you start doing Zeta events against the Titans/AEUG.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how's the translation project going?

I really want to actually play the game with text I understand, if only to make some menus easier to read.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

So how's the translation project going?

I really want to actually play the game with text I understand, if only to make some menus easier to read.

Still doing Gihrens campaign. It and EFSF are the most involved.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

Still doing Gihrens campaign. It and EFSF are the most involved.

I tried to install the patch and followed the instructions, it didn't work though once i started it up in PPSSPP though, dunno what caused it to not work.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

I tried to install the patch and followed the instructions, it didn't work though once i started it up in PPSSPP though, dunno what caused it to not work.
Did you use the prepackaged emulator? Did you save a new iso? Are cheats enabled?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

Did you use the prepackaged emulator? Did you save a new iso? Are cheats enabled?

Yes to all of that, it's when i try to import the file list into the iso that something doesn't seem to work and stops UMDGen from finishing.

I'm getting the -Error! Next available LBA position is 35 but LBA [\UMD_Data.bin] position is 27!- line every time i try it so i don't really know what causes it since all of it is from the latest version posted in the link earlier.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

Yes to all of that, it's when i try to import the file list into the iso that something doesn't seem to work and stops UMDGen from finishing.

I'm getting the -Error! Next available LBA position is 35 but LBA [\UMD_Data.bin] position is 27!- line every time i try it so i don't really know what causes it since all of it is from the latest version posted in the link earlier.

Not entirely sure myself as I am without a computer to personally look into it. You can always pop on /m/ and ask in the gihren thread. They finished up a custom Giant God campaign recently they uh... Be Invoked UC. mistakes were made.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

Not entirely sure myself as I am without a computer to personally look into it. You can always pop on /m/ and ask in the gihren thread. They finished up a custom Giant God campaign recently they uh... Be Invoked UC. mistakes were made.

So can you tell me how you got your own version to work and what you did?

I'm not very good at editing stuff like this so it's a bit of an headache to do it.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 4, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

So can you tell me how you got your own version to work and what you did?

I'm not very good at editing stuff like this so it's a bit of an headache to do it.

Been a while, so the first thing I did was make sure my emulator was set into Dev Mode, the one that came with the translation should already be like that. But double check Settings->Tools->Developer Tools and make sure "Replace Textures" is checked.

Next, install and open UMDGen, and use it to open your legitimately obtained and dumped ISO of Gihren's Ambition: Menace of Axis V PSP. Navigate to SYSDIR and drag EBOOT.bin from the patch folder into UMDGen to insert it. Do the same he ICON0.png.

Go to File->File List->Import and open Filelist.txt from the patch folder.

Once that's complete, SAVE AS a new ISO. I named mine Gihren's Ambition Translated.

Do that, post screenshots.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I did exactly as you wrote above and all i'm getting is a black screen without anything happening after i try to run it.

I really hate it when stuff like this happens.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

I did exactly as you wrote above and all i'm getting is a black screen without anything happening after i try to run it.

I really hate it when stuff like this happens.

Are you sure you have the psp iso and not the ps2 one?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

Are you sure you have the psp iso and not the ps2 one?

It's in a Cso file originally but I turn it into a Iso with UMDGen and then add the patch, is it perhaps that conversion from Cso that stops it from working?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

It's in a Cso file originally but I turn it into a Iso with UMDGen and then add the patch, is it perhaps that conversion from Cso that stops it from working?

That would make sense to me. I started with an ISO. Not a CSO.

EDIT:

GT is almost done with the Zeon campaign, he has to do the ending slides, and then the NG+ unlocked plans. After that, it's Revil's Federation

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 12, 2020

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

EDIT:

GT is almost done with the Zeon campaign, he has to do the ending slides, and then the NG+ unlocked plans. After that, it's Revil's Federation

Nice!

Also I managed to get it working, I was just an idiot and tried to patch the wrong game since I forgot what the actual game-file was called, i tried to patch the PS1/Saturn game instead which is why nothing was working. :v:

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 12, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

Nice!

Also I managed to get it working, I was just an idiot and tried to patch the wrong game since I forgot what the actual game-file was called, i tried to patch the PS1/Saturn game instead which is why nothing was working. :v:

Ah! Yes, that would do it. There are a lot of Gihren's Greed games.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

Ah! Yes, that would do it. There are a lot of Gihren's Greed games.

They're also all different in some way, it's pretty neat.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't Threat of Axis V (the PSP one being translated) generally agreed to be the one with the most content?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Isn't Threat of Axis V (the PSP one being translated) generally agreed to be the one with the most content?

Kinda? So a lot of games add systems and content that other games don't necessarily carry forward. Take "War for Zeon Independence" on the PS2, it doesn't include anything past the OYW, BUT it includes a loyalty system with each of your generals, they'll request funding or forces and if you deny/allow them it'll impact your relationship with them and also other generals. You also have to maintain relationships with people like Anaheim electronics. This could lead to things like Elran, who typically betrays the federation at Odessa, remaining loyal, OR conversly, loyal troops loving off to go form splinter factions.

Also completing each campaign unlocks IF mode, which allows you to build a custom faction of both Zeon and Federation forces with your own chosen leader.

None of that stuff is carried into Menace of Axis, which is a slight pity.

Shin Gihren, which came after Menace of Axis, is also only the OYW and CCA (they planned to release the rest as DLC, but it turns out making a bunch of DLC for a niche strategy game rather than making it complete is a death knell) had Pilot Campaigns, where rather than be in charge of a grand army, you'd control a small squad in an AI run war.

There's a lot of interesting bits from various games that would make a Perfect Game IMO, it's a pity if we ever see the series again, it's likely to be a farmed out Gacha.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

There's a lot of interesting bits from various games that would make a Perfect Game IMO, it's a pity if we ever see the series again, it's likely to be a farmed out Gacha.

This would be an astonishingly awful game to play as a gatcha.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Midjack posted:

This would be an astonishingly awful game to play as a gatcha.

Absolutely, it's more likely to just remain dead.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So the 5.0 Translation Patch is out

quote:

I've finally got the next update done for my Gihren's Greed translation, this is the first release of my translation to translate any event dialogue, specifically it translates a ton of event dialogue for Gihren's campaign. If you plan to try out the translation I recommend going down the route where you don't send Char supplies, and you send Ramba his Doms as those are the White Base events I translated.

For those who aren't familiar with this translation other than the new dialogue stuff mentioned it also translates all special plans, and unit weapon/ability names in addition to the UI, menus, pilot and unit names and stats, location and terrain names. The only things I have left to translate are the dialogue and some UI elements. You'll need to use my custom version of the PPSSPP emulator to play the translation as I use its texture replacement feature for most of the translation it's included with the translation.

I've also included my character mods with my the translation which includes 52 character variations and new characters these were mainly made just for fun and to help with Copy X's runs there are instructions inside on how to enable and disable them.

If you want to support the translation you can either donate to me through PayPal, upload save states for untranslated events or translate events yourself and add them to my translation document.

Translation Pastebin:

Character Mods Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/36UFT3Gz

Donation links Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/x2kwNdsa

Documents and assets:
https://pastebin.com/S6hGE4AP

My Pastebin account (Cheat codes, mod tutorial, etc):
https://pastebin.com/u/GihrensTranslator

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

So the 5.0 Translation Patch is out

Nice! I can't wait to try it.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
Ah, nice thread! Found it when looking for LPs. I hadn't heard of the new PSP translation effort. I remember hearing that all the textboxes were just images, which made it hard to translate. I hope they can port their work over to the PS2 version after they finish since that's the version I actually own.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll try to petition mods to move the thread over to Retro Games as that seems to be a more appropriate home for this thread given the relative age of the games and Bandai's current disinterest in continuing the series beyond the PSP.

It'd be nice to learn how to mod Menace of Axis V a bit. Part of me wishes that I could have the 'Very Easy' start in terms of money, resources, and 'bonus' suits, but still have the AI be able to put up more of a fight than throwing out some token troops when it gets a funding tranche to do so (i.e., any difficulty above 'Very Easy'). Even when the AI scatters your troops during the transition from Chapters 1 to 2 for Federation/Zeon, you're still generally able to bunch enough troops together to make some solid moves within the first five turns before the AI starts fighting back.

That being said, that Chapter 1 to 2 transition with the troop scatter is easily the most annoying. I'd at least appreciate it if it kept suits in batches of three as opposed to an even scatter. Those initial turns where you're reallocating troops to bunch them back together is tedious enough to make one stop playing (especially when it throws subs in land-locked areas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just noticed this thread is still bumpable so I'm bumping it to let you all know the axis of V translation patch now covers the entirety of gihren's campaign and 60% of revil's campaign.

Also unrelated: if I build the rx-78-2 as gihrens zeon can I refit to to the char custom suit?