Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I just noticed this thread is still bumpable so I'm bumping it to let you all know the axis of V translation patch now covers the entirety of gihren's campaign and 60% of revil's campaign.

https://pastebin.com/3fLsrSit

Also unrelated: if I build the rx-78-2 as gihrens zeon can I refit to to the char custom suit?

I think the Casval Gundam is exclusive to the Casval's Neo Zeon alt path, and is developed from the Gelgoog of all things. Though if your karma meter is high enough by a certain turn Amuro in a G-3 and the White Base end up defecting to you.

The funniest part is that the Casval Gundam is superior to even the G-3 by a considerable margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bloody Pom posted:

I think the Casval Gundam is exclusive to the Casval's Neo Zeon alt path, and is developed from the Gelgoog of all things. Though if your karma meter is high enough by a certain turn Amuro in a G-3 and the White Base end up defecting to you.

The funniest part is that the Casval Gundam is superior to even the G-3 by a considerable margin.

I think it's because the Casval Gundam is supposed to basically be a Gelgoog shoved into a Gundam looking skin

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so theres no point to putting char in the gundam then...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

so theres no point to putting char in the gundam then...

Having Char in the Gundam is its own reward.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a way to save Ramba Ral and not get stuck waiting for events to play out before you can capture more places?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is it possible to actually take peking before the white base stuff gets to odessa?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Played through all of the ESFS campaign and holy crap this game is a gem. I don't know if I can play another campaign because wow what a commitment but probably eventually. The natural narrative construction of fighting a losing battle while trying to win another fight quick enough to get those beleaguered forces in time to save your losing fight, then the losing soldiers having the big drat heroes show up. Ahhh. What a joy.

My campaign got a little weird when I fully captured places unopposed by the time whitebase showed up to help but hey it happens.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Does the spawning location of fed units in operation star one change depending on how previous events go? the wiki said they spawn in space-10 but when the event fired they spawned in solomon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just learned the hard way that beating the one year war jumps the turn counter to 100 and fucks up in progress event chains. Very bad if you haven't done the flanegan or exam stuff as zeon. stay safe out there.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Just learned the hard way that beating the one year war jumps the turn counter to 100 and fucks up in progress event chains. Very bad if you haven't done the flanegan or exam stuff as zeon. stay safe out there.

Oh no worried what I missed. You do get resource/money based on the missed time too, right?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Can anyone teach me how to patch this? Or link me?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do y'all prefer guncannons or proto gundams for your ace pilots during the first third of the one year war

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Both, guncannons for ranged focus types

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stairmaster posted:

Is it possible to actually take peking before the white base stuff gets to odessa?

I wasn't paying attention to this thread and saw this. You should have Peking/Beijing before Turn 5. And you should never, ever run the white base events past Luna II. Not only will you lose pilots doing it, adding the White Base to the federation early give you immediate access to 1x White Base, 1x Gundam, 1x Guncannon and 1x Guntank, and then about 9 Pilots Amuro can basically conquer anything he wants with just him and Bright in the White Base. they are so absurdly overpowered.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 29, 2020

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Onmi posted:

I wasn't paying attention to this thread and saw this. You should have Peking/Beijing before Turn 5. And you should never, ever run the white base events past Luna II. Not only will you lose pilots doing it, adding the White Base to the federation early give you immediate access to 1x White Base, 1x Gundam, 1x Guncannon and 1x Guntank, and then about 9 Pilots Amuro can basically conquer anything he wants with just him and Bright in the White Base. they are so absurdly overpowered.

To be clear, there's some benefit to having White Base events occur as the Federation - Amuro will chew through a large number of Zeon's ace pilots. Granted, most of these pilots aren't anything worth writing home about, but being able to remove Garma, Ral, Dozel, Challia Bull, the Black Tri-Stars, and Lalah from the game will make the endgame of the OYW much smoother and ease the transition into 0083 (as Zeon won't have access to these pilots when they get a map reset and tech upgrade, although the AI is rarely intelligent about who it places in what MS after their starting MS). Generally enemy aces are potholes on your road to victory, although enemy newtypes are especially large potholes while Char/Haman are giant sinkholes given their high leadership, newtype status, and incredible piloting skills.

Arbite posted:

Is there a way to save Ramba Ral and not get stuck waiting for events to play out before you can capture more places?

Not really? Ral's event tree needs to conclude before you're allowed to take Belfast, which will then allow you to take Luna 2. Capturing Hawaii can be done out of sequence so long as you agree to establish a submarine force. The most important thing is to have Doms developed before Ral asks to go after the Trojan Horse, ideally around the time Garma gets his rear end handed to him by White Base.

Unfortunately, the fastest way to win the OYW as Zeon and take places out of sequence involves the death of Ral and the Tri-Stars.

Stairmaster posted:

do y'all prefer guncannons or proto gundams for your ace pilots during the first third of the one year war

Proto Gundams if I have the budget for it. Ace units are usually good at protecting middle/rear units (as Ace units always operate at 100% efficiency until they're dead and many come equipped with a shield that gives them a flat chance to just ignore damage), and they will gently caress up any unit they engage in melee while still receiving melee support from your mid-line units. Plus, the Gundam upgrade tree is very good.

Admittedly, putting the White Dingo aces in a three-pack of Guncannon IIs is also terrifyingly good at killing things.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 29, 2021

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

LuiCypher posted:

To be clear, there's some benefit to having White Base events occur as the Federation - Amuro will chew through a large number of Zeon's ace pilots. Granted, most of these pilots aren't anything worth writing home about, but being able to remove Garma, Ral, Dozel, Challia Bull, the Black Tri-Stars, and Lalah from the game will make the endgame of the OYW much smoother and ease the transition into 0083 (as Zeon won't have access to these pilots when they get a map reset and tech upgrade, although the AI is rarely intelligent about who it places in what MS after their starting MS). Generally enemy aces are potholes on your road to victory, although enemy newtypes are especially large potholes while Char/Haman are giant sinkholes given their high leadership, newtype status, and incredible piloting skills.

The issue is that's not a benefit actually. Aces are worth a lot more experience than grunts. You want the enemy to have them to feed your own aces and help them level. Like... I realize I've played this game a bunch now, but no, the enemy Aces don't matter. If you use proper screening (Create a cheap, weak frontline that solely exists to soak up the fire and die, like Saberfish's) your main forces will never take damage as you bombard the enemy into oblivion. The only time you're going to struggle is the transition from fighting Delaz to fighting Haman, and that's if you don't stall and mass-tech up because Haman is tech level 22 and you are usually tech level 15-17. And so much of the Federations upgrades are tied behind Zeta Gundam events that wont occur until after you beat Haman.

In the end, those enemy aces are around for a very small portion of the game and they're better as feed for your aces so they're more prepared for what's coming. Meanwhile, you're denying yourself the use of the games best pilot and several of its other top aces... to not have enemies to farm XP off of who are only around for this opening portion.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Onmi posted:

The issue is that's not a benefit actually. Aces are worth a lot more experience than grunts. You want the enemy to have them to feed your own aces and help them level. Like... I realize I've played this game a bunch now, but no, the enemy Aces don't matter. If you use proper screening (Create a cheap, weak frontline that solely exists to soak up the fire and die, like Saberfish's) your main forces will never take damage as you bombard the enemy into oblivion. The only time you're going to struggle is the transition from fighting Delaz to fighting Haman, and that's if you don't stall and mass-tech up because Haman is tech level 22 and you are usually tech level 15-17. And so much of the Federations upgrades are tied behind Zeta Gundam events that wont occur until after you beat Haman.

In the end, those enemy aces are around for a very small portion of the game and they're better as feed for your aces so they're more prepared for what's coming. Meanwhile, you're denying yourself the use of the games best pilot and several of its other top aces... to not have enemies to farm XP off of who are only around for this opening portion.

Fair point, and let me start by saying - you're right.

I wouldn't call myself the greatest at this game, but I seemed to be hinting around to this when I considered enemy aces 'speedbumps' - if you're in control and have the upper hand, enemy aces are indeed bags of XP for your aces. And having Amuro and the White Base crew around much earlier in the game is a huge benefit for the Federation, as Amuro's going to mulch pretty much any Zeon ace put in front of him with the exception of Lalah/Char at near-equivalent ranks (and even then, if Amuro can survive a shooting phase with Lalah then Lalah isn't going to survive a melee phase with Amuro) and the rest of the White Base crew aren't slouches, either.

Besides - Zeon has a lot of filler aces, with only a few major threats sprinkled in here and there. For base Zeon, off the top of my head - Newtype Corps members post-awakening, Gato, Cima, Ral, maybe Gaia, maybe Desert Rommel, Ridden, Matsunaga, and maybe Schneider. The only ones off this list that Amuro is going to kill event-wise are Ral, Gaia, Lalah, and Challia Bull. Delaz and Gihren are decent fleet commanders with a big radius to buff grunt suits, but they're not threats in direct combat. I don't really consider Dozel a threat because while his leadership is nice, he does most of his best work in melee and that makes him fairly easy to wipe off the map with ranged fire once you positively ID him. Bernie has amazing stat growth in most versions of the game, but the likelihood that the AI is going to be able to level him up into becoming a threat is slim to none if you play well and don't feed him. Like you said, the rest of Zeon's aces are XP fodder for Amuro, White Base, and Yazan (I'm pretty sure Yazan has the beefiest statline in the game for a non-Newtype and he still puts up a vicious fight against Newtypes).

With Neo Zeon, Haman's the most dangerous one but again - they have a lot of filler. The obvious standouts for them are Rakan, Puru, Puru Two, maybe Ilia Pazom, and maybe Mashmyre/Chara (definitely if they're cyber newtype'd). Glemy's nothing to write home about.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 10, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I wound up as the fed late game with no good aces and the whole final fight against Haman was a meat grinder

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yeah, Haman is pretty scary in the Federation scenario. Not only is Neo Zeon leagues ahead of you in tech (as Onmi said, even if you sandbag to try to be at the same tech level as Neo Zeon a lot of the Federation's tech gets locked behind the Zeta Gundam tree which won't kick off until after you take out Neo Zeon), Haman is one of the game's most powerful Newtypes, has one of the best statlines in the game, and is a faction leader, meaning she confers her leadership bonus to all suits across a huge radius. Oh, and the Qubeley allows her to hang behind her frontline and vaporize yours. Char only becomes really dangerous once you hit the CCA era and he becomes a faction leader - Haman is always dangerous from the moment she shows up (at least until you destroy her once and the AI puts her in a terrible suit, as it is wont to do - her leadership bonus is still a pain, though).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The next update for the Gihren's Ambition translation is OUT

https://pastebin.com/3fLsrSit

Version 7 has a fully translated Revil and Gihren campaign, which means you can now play the two main campaigns to completion in english... well as best in english as can be done with Gihren's Ambition. It's not perfect, but it functions.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, Haman is pretty scary in the Federation scenario. Not only is Neo Zeon leagues ahead of you in tech (as Onmi said, even if you sandbag to try to be at the same tech level as Neo Zeon a lot of the Federation's tech gets locked behind the Zeta Gundam tree which won't kick off until after you take out Neo Zeon), Haman is one of the game's most powerful Newtypes, has one of the best statlines in the game, and is a faction leader, meaning she confers her leadership bonus to all suits across a huge radius. Oh, and the Qubeley allows her to hang behind her frontline and vaporize yours. Char only becomes really dangerous once you hit the CCA era and he becomes a faction leader - Haman is always dangerous from the moment she shows up (at least until you destroy her once and the AI puts her in a terrible suit, as it is wont to do - her leadership bonus is still a pain, though).

Why the hell is the order swapped around like that anyways?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Why the hell is the order swapped around like that anyways?

I can actually answer this question. It's loving stupid.

So back with Blood of Zeon on the Saturn/PS1 the way the events worked was you'd go to part 2, fight Delaz, and then eventually the Titans/AEUG would emerge On turn 120, creating a three-way. So they wondered "What happens if the player beats Delaz in less than 20 turns." And rather than go "Then just spawn the Titans/AEUG" they went "We'll spawn in Neo Zeon, the end-game enemy, and it'll be a three-way there." Very reasonable decision, mostly.

Threat of Axis which is built off Blood of Zeon in structure decided to do away with the three-way, and instead go in order of Delaz to the Titans/AEUG to Haman Karn, however... they hosed up with the triggers, and instead it goes Delaz->Haman->Titans/AEUG Which either means you tech up ridiculously past where you should be naturally to Crush Haman immediately, try to blitz her before her Zssa Spam wipes you out, and in turn, utterly crush the Titans using fricking Tanks because they don't have the starting forces to truly fight a mobile suit force that's beaten Haman Karn. I've looked into trying to swap it around... The game is structured incredibly poorly, to the point I have no idea. When I was doing my playthrough of the Federation recently, I had to manually use codes to spawn in the Titans as a third faction while fighting Haman.

It was fun, annoying to set up, but fun.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Onmi posted:

I can actually answer this question. It's loving stupid.

So back with Blood of Zeon on the Saturn/PS1 the way the events worked was you'd go to part 2, fight Delaz, and then eventually the Titans/AEUG would emerge On turn 120, creating a three-way. So they wondered "What happens if the player beats Delaz in less than 20 turns." And rather than go "Then just spawn the Titans/AEUG" they went "We'll spawn in Neo Zeon, the end-game enemy, and it'll be a three-way there." Very reasonable decision, mostly.

Threat of Axis which is built off Blood of Zeon in structure decided to do away with the three-way, and instead go in order of Delaz to the Titans/AEUG to Haman Karn, however... they hosed up with the triggers, and instead it goes Delaz->Haman->Titans/AEUG Which either means you tech up ridiculously past where you should be naturally to Crush Haman immediately, try to blitz her before her Zssa Spam wipes you out, and in turn, utterly crush the Titans using fricking Tanks because they don't have the starting forces to truly fight a mobile suit force that's beaten Haman Karn. I've looked into trying to swap it around... The game is structured incredibly poorly, to the point I have no idea. When I was doing my playthrough of the Federation recently, I had to manually use codes to spawn in the Titans as a third faction while fighting Haman.

It was fun, annoying to set up, but fun.

Would you mind sharing those codes? Or at least the steps you took to get the codes?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ardryn posted:

Would you mind sharing those codes? Or at least the steps you took to get the codes?

A lot of codes are here.

https://w.atwiki.jp/gihren_greed/pages/13.html

But specifically, to spawn a faction I had to follow instructions

quote:

Okay so this might be a bit hard to follow, but here are the values in the memory viewer you need to change to get a third faction working, use the "Goto" field in the memory viewer to find each memory address, so throw "0x097A2221" into Goto to find the faction value for the 3rd faction for example.

0x097A2221 = Faction 00=EFF 01=Zeon 02=Titans 07=AEUG 08=Axis 0C=Neo Zeon (Char)

0x097A20F6 = Color 00=blue 01=red 02=green

0x097A2260 = HQ 04=California, 05=New Yark, 08=Jaburo, 0B=Hawaii, 12=Torington, 1A=Beijing, 1E=Madras, 20=Odessa, 25=Belfast, 29=Kilimanjaro, 2A=LunaII, 2B=Solomon, 2C=A Baoa Qu, 2D=Granada, 2F-35=Side1-7, 4A=Axis, 4B=Gryps2, 4C=LaViEnRose, 4D=Garden of Thorns

If not set to something they won't be able to research anything
0x00972222 = Gen Tech 00=0 1E=30
0x00972223 = MS Tech
0x00972224 = MA Tech

0x097B0FC6 = Start of location data go here to find locations, you need to start counting until you get to the 23rd hex value of the location data so consider the first letter of the location as #1 then keep going through each hex value until you reach the 23rd value change this, 00=player 01=enemy 1 02=enemy 2

The issue was being unable to spawn Gryps II and the fact that once you beat Haman the Titans are gonna respawn so you gotta fix things. But this was for an LP sorta thing so I could gently caress around and not worry about the backend. You can craft custom campaigns like this, you can loving set up multiplayer because you can make every faction controllable by the player with codes. So if you want, you can do a three way and divvy up territory that way.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

A lot of codes are here.

Wow that's really interesting, especially the multiplayer/hotseat part, thanks!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ardryn posted:

Wow that's really interesting, especially the multiplayer/hotseat part, thanks!

It's slightly more complex because things like... Plans aren't a thing for like... the enemy factions. They don't have a "Side 3 Invasion Plan" they can do whatever. They also don't have their own Chaos/Law alignment, that's only for player 1.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

It's slightly more complex because things like... Plans aren't a thing for like... the enemy factions. They don't have a "Side 3 Invasion Plan" they can do whatever. They also don't have their own Chaos/Law alignment, that's only for player 1.

Yeah, I guess any multiplayer would be partly on the honor system if it was OYW, but Zeta and CCA would be a bit more open with only the "HQ" of player 1 being off limits until everything else is captured, or I guess you use codes to remove that limiter.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Been playing the EFF campaign with a few thoughts

-if you can get the AI to hop on their dodais, tin cod fighters are quite good, this makes them very efficient at defending sea zones, in addition they're really good at trolling the small invasion forces by flying around in circles

-even basic GMs blow all the early zakus and poo poo out of the water

-always be attacking is a really good rule

-conventional units are incredibly tedious to use when you have to leave them unstacked to avoid extra casualties

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

This talk of hacking got me thinking:

How hard would it be to put the Blood of Zeon cutscenes back into V? Those ripped stills are V's biggest disappointment.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arbite posted:

This talk of hacking got me thinking:

How hard would it be to put the Blood of Zeon cutscenes back into V? Those ripped stills are V's biggest disappointment.

Very.

Panzeh posted:

Been playing the EFF campaign with a few thoughts

-if you can get the AI to hop on their dodais, tin cod fighters are quite good, this makes them very efficient at defending sea zones, in addition they're really good at trolling the small invasion forces by flying around in circles

-even basic GMs blow all the early zakus and poo poo out of the water

-always be attacking is a really good rule

-conventional units are incredibly tedious to use when you have to leave them unstacked to avoid extra casualties

These are all very good tips to understanding how to win the early stages of the Federation campaign.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pity.

Anyway, since both Casval and Char plonk Axis into the Earth in their endings, does Quattro somehow manage it as well?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

imagine if the people in charge of what ifs for this game actually had imagination

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well, hypothetically, if all I'm trying to do is replace the Axis V opening movie with BoZ's, what would I need to do? If I have both .pmf files already.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arbite posted:

Well, hypothetically, if all I'm trying to do is replace the Axis V opening movie with BoZ's, what would I need to do? If I have both .pmf files already.

Since the movies are much larger than the still frames they will take up more space inside the executable, messing up memory pointers for everything that comes after each movie. You would need to map out the location of every resource in the executable, then locate and change all the affected pointers to point to the right addresses. Alternately you just stick all the movies at the end of the file and then you just have to change the pointers if you don't care about file size. Either way the easy way is to use a tool like IDA Pro or Ghidra. This may require you to write your own plug ins if a disassembly tool doesn't already exist to handle them. Once you've located all affected resources and pointers in the executable you then have to develop a patch to make required the changes to the executable.

Some of this work may have already been done by the people doing the translation patches but if you have to do all this analysis yourself it may take several years to develop your skills, analyze a completely unknown executable, and determine what changes need to be made.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Midjack posted:

Since the movies are much larger than the still frames they will take up more space inside the executable, messing up memory pointers for everything that comes after each movie. You would need to map out the location of every resource in the executable, then locate and change all the affected pointers to point to the right addresses. Alternately you just stick all the movies at the end of the file and then you just have to change the pointers if you don't care about file size. Either way the easy way is to use a tool like IDA Pro or Ghidra. This may require you to write your own plug ins if a disassembly tool doesn't already exist to handle them. Once you've located all affected resources and pointers in the executable you then have to develop a patch to make required the changes to the executable.

Some of this work may have already been done by the people doing the translation patches but if you have to do all this analysis yourself it may take several years to develop your skills, analyze a completely unknown executable, and determine what changes need to be made.

Eesh, yeah, that's far out of my ken. Ah well, subtitled videos and a guide on when to play them should be rather more doable. At least in the short term.

Hmm, between the 44 story cutscenes in BoZ and the 8 One Week War cutscenes from WFZI that's enough of a project anyway.

Also it is way harder to extract video and sound together from PS2 fmvs compared to PSP.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJXKktIWBE

How does this look?

Also

Arbite posted:

Anyway, since both Casval and Char plonk Axis into the Earth in their endings, does Quattro somehow manage it as well?

Yes, turns out he does. Incorrigible.

*edit* Alright, I'm much happier with the look of the subtitles even if I don't love the video quality.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 4, 2021

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Part of the issues is that Gihrens Greed has such weird storage. Take the text. The text is all images, even in the game. Now let's take the plan list. The one where you do things like the Beijing capture operation. Every variant of that list together is one texture. It's impossible to translate which is why the patch leaves it be.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I've got the whole set of One Week Battle prologue videos from WFZI up now. Now to switch to BoZ.'

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
late game fed

god i hate trying to figure out what unit to build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Started playing this game now that the revil campaign is complete. It turns out I am insanely poo poo at it. I've never really played grand strategy games before and I find it all a bit overwhelming. Managed to lose as Revil on Easy on turn like, 12. Also sometimes my advisor at the beginning says that we've managed to capture enemy data (or something like that) and I assumed that was enemy blueprints being stolen but I can't find where I'm supposed to find them so I can develop them.