Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Droyer posted:

Also sometimes my advisor at the beginning says that we've managed to capture enemy data (or something like that) and I assumed that was enemy blueprints being stolen but I can't find where I'm supposed to find them so I can develop them.
If you invest in intelligence, sometimes enemy units will appear in the research screen as projects you can invest in. This can be gamechanging (getting zeon's amphibous units or even just a zakuii in the early turns) or completely useless (unlocking the magellan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

If you invest in intelligence, sometimes enemy units will appear in the research screen as projects you can invest in. This can be gamechanging (getting zeon's amphibous units or even just a zakuii in the early turns) or completely useless (unlocking the magellan).

Yeah, you can get some real hits or misses but generally I find that you never really get any good units from this unless you're very lucky.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Basically the only stolen tech that might theoretically matter is if you snag the Zaku II super early as the Federation, since it might actually have combat utility. Almost every other piece of stolen tech is worthless because you don't want to spend time/resources on technological dead ends.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Droyer posted:

Started playing this game now that the revil campaign is complete. It turns out I am insanely poo poo at it. I've never really played grand strategy games before and I find it all a bit overwhelming. Managed to lose as Revil on Easy on turn like, 12. Also sometimes my advisor at the beginning says that we've managed to capture enemy data (or something like that) and I assumed that was enemy blueprints being stolen but I can't find where I'm supposed to find them so I can develop them.

So what's happening there is that 'captured enemy data' is referring to your overall Enemy Tech level. Like most things in this game, it's not well-explained.

As other posters have mentioned, this is increased through having high intelligence levels. Generally, you want to keep you enemy intel levels high because it will tell you 1) how many enemy units are in a given area and 2) what enemy units are being produced in Major Areas (think Jaburo, Beijing, Odessa). Since the only way to move into an enemy territory is to start your movement right next to it, this will give you insight into major enemy offensives (if Zeon has 50 units in the sea next to Jaburo, you can be certain that they're probably attacking Jaburo in the next phase). Knowing what the enemy is producing will also tell you what their overall tech level is relative to yours - knowing "Zeon is making GBS threads out Doms in Odessa" gives you a much clearer picture of Zeon's tech levels rather than "they are at L9 in MS".

Back to Enemy Tech Level - this does affect which enemy MS designs you can actually research on the off chance that you managed to acquire an MS plan. However, this really only comes into play when you do weird things like beating Zeon within a certain number of turns - the speed at which you complete a chapter (almost always the first chapter) will give you bonus enemy MS designs when you start the next chapter. I believe Qubeley is one of the rewards for beating Revil's Chapter 1 the fastest, but it's unlikely you'll have high enough enemy tech level to actually research it for quite a while. In general though, you're unlikely to get a truly useful enemy MS design on the off-chance that you do get one. But when you do get a useful design - during a Zeon playthrough, I got the Xeku Eins while fighting the Titans - play that poo poo to the hilt.

Finally, if you're losing within 12 turns - there is zero shame in starting off on Easy or even Very Easy (which I like to play when I want to chill). Very Easy in particular will put some of your aces in particularly advanced suits on top of giving you a ton of resources and money to start off with, and the AI is a little less aggressive.

Early Game Fed is all about making GBS threads out Type 61s and cheap planes and playing aggressively with them. A full stack of Type 61s isn't going to trade well with a full stack of Zaku IIs, but three full stacks of Type 61s do. When playing defensively, use Medeas to churn out Minovsky particles to cover hexes where you have units stationed (especially on cities/bases). The defensive bonuses granted by Minovsky particles and land effect can make a stack of Type 61s surprisingly durable, even when attacked from multiple sides.

Also, Early Game Zeon doesn't have access to aquatic units, so covering the ocean next to Jaburo with a solid air force will help you stuff any early game Zeon rushes. All Zeon gets are Dopps and Gaws, and taking down a transport carrying non-aquatic MS over water instantly kills all of the units inside it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
building planes in all territories as an enemy attack stall is a top tier tactic. gives you time to get your forces down there to respond.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah you can stall an attack for a while with a single fighter just rolling around the edge of the map. One thing i'll say is, it's important to try to pick on Zakus when they're on their surfboards. They're much more vulnerable that way. Also, you want to screen off your three-stacks of units with single-stacks of fighters up to the point where you have decent mobile suits(and even then this screening is still handy) because it will make the enemy attacks far less efficient.

I will say it's usually better to use Fly Manthas(as hitter groups) and tincod fighters(as screens) as opposed to type 61s but the tanks are somewhat useful in that they're versatile in their attacks, they just have to cope with melee attacks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I recorded a video tutorial on how to take the federation early campaign (Beijing by turn 4) I just haven't edited it and it's like 3 hours long. But I'm super lazy.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

I recorded a video tutorial on how to take the federation early campaign (Beijing by turn 4) I just haven't edited it and it's like 3 hours long. But I'm super lazy.

Cool, that would be helpful for a lot of people, I'd imagine.

Have you heard anything about the next update on the translation?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Apparently the translator finished Gihren's and Revil's campaigns, and is working on Blex's campaign.

The pastebin to follow is this one: https://pastebin.com/3fLsrSit

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dance Officer posted:

Apparently the translator finished Gihren's and Revil's campaigns, and is working on Blex's campaign.

The pastebin to follow is this one: https://pastebin.com/3fLsrSit

Nice!

I've been getting back to Menace of Axis V on the PSP lately, and it's fun to see what the game stuffs your aces into when you select Very Easy. For example, in Kycilia's Very Easy campaign, Lalah starts in a Qubeley with Cusco Al and Marian Welch in Perfect Zeongs alongside her. Their squad absolutely bulldozes everything the game throws at you (especially because Gihren and Revil start with higher tech levels than you) and their crazy train only ramps up as they accumulate experience at a terrifying rate.

Dom Cannons tend to be your be-all, end-all solution to winning fights on Earth as Zeon. For some reason they are ridiculously over-tuned in Menace of Axis V, barely costing more supplies and less money than a standard Dom while dealing twice the damage at ranges 2-3 with higher accuracy and still dealing more damage at range 1 with wrist rockets (their melee leaves something to be desired, though).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Technically a double-post, but it's been a week so :shrug:

So I decided to give Shin Gihren's Greed a try!

I hate it.

Early game as Zeon is really rough since Depp Rogs have been buffed to high hell. You have no real great counters against them until you can online a combination of Zaku Cannons and recon craft, and even then they trade really well against Zaku Cannons.

Oh, and the AI just constantly shits them out from Turn 5 onwards, making the second landing operation in North America an absolute slog if you're not ready for it. A stack of three Rogs trade well with Zaku Cannons - now imagine 5-6 three-stacks of Rogs making GBS threads on everything constantly, and the computer is always assumed to have ID'd your units without needing to scan like you do (so they never suffer any accuracy penalties). Oh, and they are just constantly churning them out and they have no issue getting to the frontlines, whereas any reinforcements you send are going to take several turns to come from Solomon in HLVs or take at least three turns to fire from Odessa in HLVs and deploy (leaving them still quite vulnerable to getting instantly taken down to half-health by the Rogs bombing the HLV before it can deploy units).

Early game as Federation is really rough, too. Since the AI is constantly making GBS threads out units even during your invasions (having an attacking force in a major area no longer prevents it from producing units, and now every major area has a ton of built-in defenses that you also have to clear before you have won) and Zeon generally has better units than you do, taking any major area is a giant slog.

In fact, everything about the game seems like they just decided to make everything a giant slog and a pain to play through compared to past games.

The redone combat animations look a bit more cinematic and nice though? I guess it has that going for it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 29, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Decided to try Gihren's Greed with the patches and stuff. Wish me luck .

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Technically a double-post, but it's been a week so :shrug:

So I decided to give Shin Gihren's Greed a try!

I hate it.

Early game as Zeon is really rough since Depp Rogs have been buffed to high hell. You have no real great counters against them until you can online a combination of Zaku Cannons and recon craft, and even then they trade really well against Zaku Cannons.

Oh, and the AI just constantly shits them out from Turn 5 onwards, making the second landing operation in North America an absolute slog if you're not ready for it. A stack of three Rogs trade well with Zaku Cannons - now imagine 5-6 three-stacks of Rogs making GBS threads on everything constantly, and the computer is always assumed to have ID'd your units without needing to scan like you do (so they never suffer any accuracy penalties). Oh, and they are just constantly churning them out and they have no issue getting to the frontlines, whereas any reinforcements you send are going to take several turns to come from Solomon in HLVs or take at least three turns to fire from Odessa in HLVs and deploy (leaving them still quite vulnerable to getting instantly taken down to half-health by the Rogs bombing the HLV before it can deploy units).

Early game as Federation is really rough, too. Since the AI is constantly making GBS threads out units even during your invasions (having an attacking force in a major area no longer prevents it from producing units, and now every major area has a ton of built-in defenses that you also have to clear before you have won) and Zeon generally has better units than you do, taking any major area is a giant slog.

In fact, everything about the game seems like they just decided to make everything a giant slog and a pain to play through compared to past games.

The redone combat animations look a bit more cinematic and nice though? I guess it has that going for it.

Yeah, that massive open map system seems like it would have worked a lot better for Zeta gundam's more limited civil war. Oh well, at least the AEUG route from MoA is being translated now.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Shin Gihrens grand campaign is terrible. If you finally get out of the early game slogfest you get to enjoy another time waster: The AI and it's love for aquatic units. It can and will build the maximum amount of Hyggogs or Gundam Marine and Aqua Balls while disregarding every other unit type. Those things can cross a ocean in a single turn. This means all bases that are at a coast gets invaded - every single turn. Of course aquatic units are a pain to reliably take out so you need to counter them with your own aquatic units.

That also means that when you are hype because you stole enemy units it will of course be those dumb aquatic suits.

I only got fun out of the pilot campaigns because those are way smaller in scale. The AI can do it's dumb Hyggog vs. Gundam Marine murderfest while I do more productive stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The patch does not seem to be entirely working for me. The menu's and names are not translating.

Edit figured it out had not patched it properly.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 29, 2022

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Are any other Ghiren's translated at all? I love these games, they are my dream games.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, if you don't have Dodai and HLV, modified for extra movement, heading to North America starting from turn 2, you might as well not bother landing anything there. Until they get there, Komusai are your only air option.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MonsterEnvy posted:

The patch does not seem to be entirely working for me. The menu's and names are not translating.

Edit figured it out had not patched it properly.

What did you do wrong? I’m also just missing names.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jegan posted:

Yeah, if you don't have Dodai and HLV, modified for extra movement, heading to North America starting from turn 2, you might as well not bother landing anything there. Until they get there, Komusai are your only air option.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that they also gave Rogs an anti-air weapon. Granted, it's not much but it is a buff compared to past games where the Rog's weakness was its lack of air defense.

Playing Shin Gihren's just reminds me that it was a very good decision for them to go away from the giant open map of the original game in favor of the map you see in MoA and every other Gihren's game. You can actually effectively control territories and if the enemy makes it through to one of your major areas, then it was definitely a strategic mistake on your part - it doesn't have anything to do with 'lol, we can send aquatic units from one major area to another in a single move'.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What did you do wrong? I’m also just missing names.

I had to go into the file and actually install the Patch. I followed this video see if it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unjv8kEL3cQ&t=207s

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LuiCypher posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me that they also gave Rogs an anti-air weapon. Granted, it's not much but it is a buff compared to past games where the Rog's weakness was its lack of air defense.

Playing Shin Gihren's just reminds me that it was a very good decision for them to go away from the giant open map of the original game in favor of the map you see in MoA and every other Gihren's game. You can actually effectively control territories and if the enemy makes it through to one of your major areas, then it was definitely a strategic mistake on your part - it doesn't have anything to do with 'lol, we can send aquatic units from one major area to another in a single move'.

The area thing from MoA and such does introduce situations where you can defend a territory just by having a tin cod fighter fly around the edge of the map but i'm fine with it- earth is very wide-open in that game and hard enough to defend.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Panzeh posted:

The area thing from MoA and such does introduce situations where you can defend a territory just by having a tin cod fighter fly around the edge of the map but i'm fine with it- earth is very wide-open in that game and hard enough to defend.

Taking/holding the eurasian landmass in MoA as early game Feddies feels borderline impossible without doing this, honestly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanos posted:

Taking/holding the eurasian landmass in MoA as early game Feddies feels borderline impossible without doing this, honestly.

My solution is to essentially box in Kilimanjaro and Odessa and just do NOT let even a single front down. Or, no joke, Just send the White Base. As it turns out that's a legitimate strategy. When you have the chance to get the White Base you do that, assign everyone as they should be, and just... send Amuro to deal with The Problem. Amuro, Kai and Hayato can, essentially hold the entire early-game Zeon force off on their own with no real issue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

My brain forces me to push for Beijing/Peking before the V Project even triggers. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

My brain forces me to push for Beijing/Peking before the V Project even triggers. :v:

Good, that's the correct play. Get it before Turn 5. By that point you'll start having Guntanks, your next step is securing your hold over Eurasia. Keep 3 Forces surrounding Odessa, this will lock the Kilimnajaro forces into a chokepoint, like Central America is for holding the North American Zeonic forces from Jaburo (So keep a sizeable force there to meat grinder the Zaku's)

Next, your main force (this is what took Peking/Beijing) Should meet up with the forces that have fought off the Australian offensive and moving through Indonesia to unite and push into Hawaii as the first Protogundams should just be coming off the production line. Meet those forces up in Hawaii and form a hammer that just slams right the gently caress through North America, which allows it to meet up with the forces in Central America, you create the snowball effect.

The focus of the Federation campaign is

1. Engage the enemy on every front simultaneously, most of this is diversionary combat, but the key forces are driving through Zeon's production centers.
2. Hold key terrain chokepoints that deny enemy advancement into your territory. The territory just south of Odessa serves a dual-choke point, Central America, you want to liberate space and form a picketline across the territories to keep drop-reinforcements, which has a dual purpose.
3. While Zeon STILL has ground terriory, they will produce a lot of ground-only MS in space, punish them.
4. Get Amuro and the White Base immediately. Amuro is not the answer, he is the question and the answer is "Yes"

I'm genuinely way too good at the Federation campaign at this point. To the point, I can basically map out the first five turns to always have Beijing/Peking before the grace period is over.

In fact, I intended to edit a video showing this all off but I am loving lazy, so have this lovely upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYscZtuQGy8

It's 2 hours but yeah...

EDIT: God I forgot my audio levels fluctuate like mad, I am so loving aaaaaaa.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 5, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I had to go into the file and actually install the Patch. I followed this video see if it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unjv8kEL3cQ&t=207s

I did that. Character names still weren't translated. Turns out you also just have to pop into the Cheats menu of PPSSPP if it doesn't already has it pre-set to use the translated pilot names.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
build planes, put planes everywhere, planes run around and waste enemy forces times while your big forces roll through and clean up.

i find being extremely aggressive in space is immensely useful

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pladdicus posted:

i find being extremely aggressive is immensely useful

Made truer

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's a lot easier to move early on in space because you can use cheap fighters to make enemies counterattack and expose themselves to warship guns, where similar ranged units don't exist for earth warfare.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The famous and unstoppable Federation strategy of "a fleet of Magellans surrounded on all sides by ablative one stacks of the cheapest fighters you can build so the Zakus can't reach melee".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

The famous and unstoppable Federation strategy of "a fleet of Magellans surrounded on all sides by ablative one stacks of the cheapest fighters you can build so the Zakus can't reach melee".

Screening is legitimate strategy, there's a japanese youtuber who's stuff I watched and he basically did a low-tech Hell mode federation speed run just using correct screening.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh, it's not a criticism, it's a fact.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

Oh, it's not a criticism, it's a fact.

As I've mentioned in my video and worth repeating without my (Somehow 10% voice) mic, the other use for the screen is units like the Gwazine, with no Range 1 counter, or units that would otherwise be able to engage in a sniper battle with your ships. A single Torres (Well preferrable a Saberfish if you got em or a Core Fighter, I've never bothered with the latter two) attacking a ship and the rest of the attacks being your Magellan's just firing a wall of cannon fire will force units that, in the case of mobile suits, would just dodge full indirect fire by going on the evasive (Because they'll see they'll kill the Torres and engage in counter combat, magnifying the damage done) or in the case of the Gwazine or something with a powerful ranged weapon, be locked into counter-attacking a low value target it can't kill (or doesn't matter if it dies) and again, you multiply the damage you would do.

The days of "No literally just make Fly Mantha they're loving busted" may be gone from Blood of Zeon, but the Federation strategy of numbers being its own strength is true and alive...

GOD I want another loving Gihren's Greed game. I know there's a HOI4 mod happening but like... a real one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Onmi posted:

Screening is legitimate strategy, there's a japanese youtuber who's stuff I watched and he basically did a low-tech Hell mode federation speed run just using correct screening.

I gotta see this.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So I finally think I'm gaining ground in New York in Shin Gihren's Greed - they appear to be making GBS threads out Guntank IIs, but I've got a solid line of Desert Zakus and Ral in a Gouf to take them out while shooting tons of Support fire with Zaku Cannons. I'm running a little low on frontline suits (I don't want to lose Ral in this engagement), so I hold back a turn to wait for my reinforcements of Gouf As and Gouf Bs to come in and help chew through the prodigious number of Guntank IIs.

So then they start making GBS threads out GM Strikers, and now I'm left with no real viable counter to get through the sheer number of Strikers they're making GBS threads out (and the fact that they will chew through everything I have in melee).

Does anyone know where to point me towards a guide for romhacking PSP .isos? I feel like I'm pretty much at the point where the only way I'm going to enjoy the game is to make Easy actually easy, either through modifying the resources that the Federation receives or tuning their aggressiveness down a touch.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 11, 2022

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I really don't understand why the heck they made the AI so obnoxiously unfair in Shin Gihren, thanks to the new overmap it makes hindering them almost impossible since they'll just poo poo out infinite amounts of their current best units and you'll have no counter against them because they destroyed your previous force and now you're currently waiting for the reinforcements that will come way too late to even matter since they'll just get a better unit to eat all your stacks.

Onmi posted:

GOD I want another loving Gihren's Greed game. I know there's a HOI4 mod happening but like... a real one.

:same:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A new Gihren's Greed that also gets a Western Release would be awesome.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I gotta see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkX3r2sogB0

He's got a lot of Gihren campaigns (and other stuff)

I don't think this is the low tech run so much as it is a speed run (He finishes the campaign on turn 135. He finishes the OYW in 16 turns.. Which means he completed the entire Federation campaign in 51 turns)

His current campaign is the loving baffling. Discarding ALL of his starting units and "Not using Production Plans" according to google translate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3exhJx2LU

So yeah, if you want to feel really inadequate at Gihren's Ambition and see someone just loving crush HELL MODE. I need to clarify all these campaigns are on Hell Mode. This dude is really good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Holy poo poo this dude knows every trick, drat. I watched a hell mode run in english but the player kinda brute forced through it and took their time. This kind of speedrun is incredible, especially given that, kinda definitionally, it's low-tech. You're gonna have to use toriaries and tin cods to win the one year war in this context and it's a masterclass in baiting the AI and using screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Holy poo poo this dude knows every trick, drat. I watched a hell mode run in english but the player kinda brute forced through it and took their time. This kind of speedrun is incredible, especially given that, kinda definitionally, it's low-tech. You're gonna have to use toriaries and tin cods to win the one year war in this context and it's a masterclass in baiting the AI and using screens.

It's especially wild because again, you gotta go through Axis to get to what for him is the AEUG because he's playing so fast you can't GET the AEUG as your allies. This also means he doesn't have the overpowered pilots that would give you. When I saw his vids it was like a monkey looking at a monolith, I didn't know what I was looking at.